Fragile - must be Italian

New question here. Stans Flows for "Aggressive" all-mountain use?

I just bought an Iron Horse 6point6 to replace my Motolite for "aggressive" all-mountain use. By this I mean the gnarly stuff at SoMo (i.e. Geronimo at speed), some stunts/drops, Sunrise, etc. The wheelset that comes with the bike is a Dt-Swiss e540 + Formula hubs. Blech. Those are coming off right away.

I know many of you have Stans Flows + Hope/CK/Hadley for all-mountain use as well. How have the Flows held up thus far? Do they dent easily? Can they take abuse, such as a bad landing, without disintegrating? Can you mount a 2.5 tire on a Flow?

The IH has a 12x150mm rear end (and Lyric up front with 20mm thru-axle), and Hope now makes a Pro2 in 12x150. So if I go with a Flow rim, I am leaning towards a Hope Pro2 + Stans wheelset for cost savings.

I was also looking at the Easton Havoc DH wheelset...but that might be overkill. Those are 32mm wide rims. I really like the "regular" Easton Havoc's on my ML (28mm), but they only come in a 135mm spacing.

Besides the Hope/Flow and Havoc DH's, are there any other options I should consider? I'm not a heavy guy (155lbs), but I would consider myself a not-so-flowy-crash-into-everything type of rider. I also plan on running 2.35's most of the time (i.e. Maxxis Minion or Kenda Nevegal) but might want a 2.5 on there at times.

Oh...and I was also thinking about going tubless, which is another factor in favor of the Flows (Eastons would have to be converted).

Thx...Doug
    Last edited by dgangi; 08-16-2009 at 04:23 PM.

I am Walt
    I'm not "aggressive all-mountain" guy, but I've got Flows/Hopes on my SS, set up tubeless, and they have been absolutely bomber. I'm 190 lbs, pre-gear, and bash into sh*t hard. Last night on the Long Loop at MMP, I hit a rock flat-on, and the rim got bashed so hard that the whole bike vibrated...no issue. I think they'd be solid for you.

Note: Both wheels are Mike Curiak builds...I think that makes a difference.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I have 29'er Flows on my ride, and while I am not hitting 5 foot drops I do weigh over 200 and give them a good beating on South Mountain weekly. Only casualty so far to them is some good size gouges from getting too close to sharp rocks. I think if the 29" version can handle my riding at 205 pounds you should be plenty fine on a 26" version with 50 pounds less weight.

mr. wonderful
    I have Flows on my Highline, so I guess you can say they get abuse They have a few dings in the bead from rocks compressing the tire all the way down to the rim, but I think any rim would from that. The good thing is I am able to bend the bead back with no impact on my ability to run tubeless. If Stans made a wider and stouter rim, I would probably run it, but until then I am happy with Flows. And going tubeless with them is a breeze, UST tires or not, especially Maxxis DH tires.

Another option for that bike would be Mavic 823s. They are stout too and go tubeless as easy as Stans. They're a little heavier than the Flows, but in this genre no one is counting grams. In fact, a heavier tire and wheelset can be a good thing as the increase in inertia will resist the wheel from getting deflected. Sucks going up and accelerating though.

Weird thing is, I have Flows on my Sultan too.

Congrats on stepping it up, by the way
    Last edited by dirtbag; 08-17-2009 at 06:50 AM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I love Flows. I'm nearly 200 geared and run 'em on my 29er w/ CK hubs. I think you'll be pleased.

"Yabut"
    Same here, 200 lbs, and they are laced to CK hubs. No issues at all.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    It's been mentioned before, but I think these are some of the best rims I have ever ridden. I have the 29er series on my RIP9. I am 215 lbs neked, and I am not delicate with these baby's by any means. Granted, I too am not an "aggressive all mountain" guy, I don't ride in armor, and I can't afford to take the chance on a head injury - but I would be confident that these wheels could take the abuse. I've landed a few drops on these wheels and never had a problem.

FTR, Mine are laced to WTB LaserLite Hubs. What I really like about the Flows is how easy it is to mount a tire tubeless, how durable they seem when I am on a technical climb or descent, and how well they have held up getting beaten up by rocks out there. Another factor I really like about the Flows is how they "flatten" our most tires because of their width, and I would think you could easily get a 2.5 to mount to them. I have only mounted a 2.35 Rampage, but I've seen the 2.4 Mtn Kings mounted fine as well. IMO, I don't think you would be dissappointed.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Fragile - must be Italian
    Richard -

Have you ever had issues with the tire blowing off the rim or burping off a lot of air? This was my concern going with a Stans Flow vs. "true UST" (like the Mavic 823) on a bigger bike. I have Stans Arches on my Kona and have never blown a tire off the rim or burped a lot of air...but that bike mainly gets used for XC so it's not a great comparison.

Have you tried putting a 2.5 tire on the Flow? If so, how did it work?

And lastly...do you notice any additional tire squirm on the Flows? One thing I've noticed about Stans rims is that, since the sidewall is lower than a traditional rim, the tire seems to "roll" over easier on itself (less metal sidewall to support the tire). Do you sense this on your bike?

Thx...Doug

Chilling out
    dgangi,

i've been riding Flows on my main bike for a couple years now of mixed riding (TX, AZ, NM, and now PA) and they've been very reliable. 32-spoke, CK hubs. If I were to build one today I'd get 36-spoke and a CK or Hadley singlespeed rear hub to make a mostly-dishless wheel (run a partial cassette).

i've usually ridden 2.5-ish tires. Anything from Maxxis 2.4 to Kenda 2.7 w/o difficulty.

I've had one blow-off, but I know it was low-pressure already (about 18psi, I like 25-30) and I landed a jump badly at speed and had the rear wheel "over" about 45 degrees on impact and blow off the tire. Of course, one rag wipe later and one big-air can of co2 and it was popped back on the bead and I finished the ride that way. FWIW, my opinion is tire blow-off happens because of not enough air in the tire, nothing to do with rim support of the tire. You CAN have a tire with too-loose of bead fit though, and that can contribute.

disclaimer: I'm *not* a DH god, and don't pretend to be, but I love me the chunky riding (just ask DurtGurl or the Evil's ...) and love to go zippy down the hill.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Have you ever had issues with the tire blowing off the rim or burping off a lot of air?
    Thx...Doug
    On a 29'er Flow I had a Rampage blow off once. I was low on air and slammed into a face of a ravine. I went with the steel bead Choir Master and if fit so much better compared to the Rampage. No issues since with the Flows. Personally think if you're looking a 26'er rims the Flow and true UST tires will be fine. I also had 823's for a while and they were bomb proff. No issues with UST tires and stayed true but I'm not an agressive rider. My choice for hubs are Hadley!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the Flow's for 3 years on Kings and I9's. Great rim, never had a tire come off and they stay true. I'm 190 and ride a 29er SS, rigid and with a Reba.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

My other ride is your mom
    Timely discussion doug....since I rode with you and others on Geronimo on Saturday....I've been thinking about a burlier wheelset with a bit wider footprint. I had a new WTB Exiwolf 2.3 up front with only the crazy 88 miles on it, mounted on DT Swiss X430's (they came with the Mach5)....they worked fine together and have treated me fine since all I was doing was XC leading up to the 88.

One run down Geronimo and I rolled the tire over onto the rim, piercing the sidewall ever so slightly with a big burp. Stans fixed the small sidewall puncture and after airing up, it was fine for the rest of the day. I took another digger again today...this time coming off of the switchbacks at Hawes...same thing....burp and then digger. The tire is trash now.

I gather from this discussion and others that a wider (and burlier) rim will help out with this sort of thing...the hoops I have now are 19mm wide...the Flow's are 22.6

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Richard -

Have you ever had issues with the tire blowing off the rim or burping off a lot of air? This was my concern going with a Stans Flow vs. "true UST" (like the Mavic 823) on a bigger bike. I have Stans Arches on my Kona and have never blown a tire off the rim or burped a lot of air...but that bike mainly gets used for XC so it's not a great comparison.

Have you tried putting a 2.5 tire on the Flow? If so, how did it work?

And lastly...do you notice any additional tire squirm on the Flows? One thing I've noticed about Stans rims is that, since the sidewall is lower than a traditional rim, the tire seems to "roll" over easier on itself (less metal sidewall to support the tire). Do you sense this on your bike?

Thx...Doug
    Doug-
    I've never had a tire blow off the rim or even a burp with either Stans rims or Mavic UST rims. I run 28F/30R psi on my Highline with Maxxis DHFs. I run 30F/32R psi on my Sultan with WTB Weirwolf LTs and ExiWolfs on Flows. The only burp I've ever had was about 6 years ago with Stans strips converting old Mavic 517s.

I run a 2.5 DHF two ply wire bead on the rear and a 2.7 DHF two ply wire bead on the front. They both seat and work great.

I can't say that I notice more tire squirm with Stans rims than other rims. Now. . . know that I went from single ply tires on Mavic 819s on my 6 Pack to two ply tires on the Highline. Not really apples there. I did notice a whole bunch of flex on my first Sultan build though. I switched from Arches to Flows and from an old Reba QR to a Reba 20mm thru axle and both made a huge improvement. I don't have another rim to gage tire squirm though. Let's just say it's not something that I have noticed or identified.

Anyway, I think Flows are great rims and will suit the bike and your riding well.

parenting for gnarness
    all the burps etc. I can think of on any of my wheelsets have been due to too-low air pressure. 2 sets of Flows on my Blur and Hei Hei, ghetto on my Heckler. The burps have only come on the Heckler which I blame on the way I ride it and the shredding I do on the tires leads to situations where air gets low and big hits. Last weekend was a perfect situations - tire had a tiny leak, low sealant in summer, and abusing it on Geronimo led to a burp.

obviously pay attention to your gear choices, but be equally mindful of the stressful situations your tubeless tire gets put in more generally and keep it aired and stocked wtih sealant and you should be fine.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    Yeah....I guess I can see that now....still, I burped for the first time on the switchback at Hawes today and was running the same pressure as normal. I guess after you all took me down Geronimo...I've been hitting stuff a little harder

I'll have to recalibrate what I think "normal" is now....

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Yeah....I guess I can see that now....still, I burped for the first time on the switchback at Hawes today and was running the same pressure as normal. I guess after you all took me down Geronimo...I've been hitting stuff a little harder

I'll have to recalibrate what I think "normal" is now....
    ymmv. tons of variables at play, imo.

riding harder terrain you have to pay more attention to the state of your tires and rim too, which can contribute to these issues. Possibly you dented your rims? possibly whatever led to your burp was there prior to Sat and you are seeing it again now?

if you are going to be riding harder, wear your armor. everyone crashes on "easy stuff" that they ride harder after they've started riding harder stuff.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    if you are going to be riding harder, wear your armor. everyone crashes on "easy stuff" that they ride harder after they've started riding harder stuff.
    oh, so, totally "werd" on that one.

I still bounce pretty well but after a couple visits to AZ and some other Central Texas stuff I do find myself getting a little beyond my bike more than I used to.

mtbr member
    Good thread. I am building up a set of Flow's for my Bullit. It came with DT 340 hubs (20mm front, 12x150 rear), on Mavic 325 rims, 2.5 Nevegal DH's, and 14ga spokes. I found some Ringle ABBAH hubs on PP for a good deal. I am going to use the DT hubs with 14/15 spokes and the Flow's with Motoraptor 2.4's for an AM wheelset. The Ringles, 325's, and Neve's will be for gravity assisted stuff. I figure I can save over 3lbs with this change, which will be nice for climbing!

Members who have read this thread: 0