SSWC09 - race report- Mtbr.com

SSWC09 - race report

SSWC09 was a resounding success. The parties, the riding and racing, the town, the people - all really great.

For those who care, below is a report of the race only.

My pics from it are here: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/259...01986607fozfsn.
    Some really good pics of the top of the first ridge are here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=556988

The race was slated to start at 11am – thankfully for those who enjoyed the previous evening's party. Dawned a slightly cool, sunny day – gorgeous. We gathered in front of Durango Cyclery to check out all the whackos. Race started with a parade down main street then headed up some fairly steep roads to thin us out. Up into the dirt and across the bottom of the first mountain until we hit the uphill that ended with a long, VERY steep hike a bike. With the number of people there, this turned into a hike and stand – for about an hour. You could see a line of people from bottom to top. It was out of control. Anyhow, finally clawed our way to the top (did I mention how steep the climb was?) to meet the first beer stop (thanks Oskar Blues).

After that was a trail across the ridge – rocks, rocks, and even bigger rocks. Oh, and a nasty drop down on the right. Mostly rideable, but scary in parts. As we started across the ridge, thunder boomed in the distance and we could see that it was pouring buckets in the mountains on the other side of town. Not looking good. However, we soldiered on. After bouncing across the ridge for a good long while, the trail headed down the ridge. Flying down rocks and then a VERY steep downhill and then a VERY steep rock slab. The amount of skidmarks on the slab was amusing, but this part was very fun. Then down to transition where I was handed a Yella Pils and high fived by a line of young ladies along the course. Of course there was so much noise and action at that point that you couldn’t help but get pumped up for the second half of the course.

It was about that time that I realized that it never did rain on us and the sun was out again – excellent! Headed out on some beautiful, smooth, winding trails – headed mostly up. Then got to the bottom of the second hike a bike – which was shorter than the first, but just as steep. About 2/3 up, there was not the traditional beer station, but a BACON station. Yeah, that’s right, they were handing out salty, greasy bacon. It was tasty, but sorta hard to chew while gasping. However, to wash the bacon down, there was a whiskey station about 50 feet later. That’s a combination I never want in my stomach again.

Anyhow, after that we reached the top of the last real climbing. The trail swooped and twisted down. Just when you got into a groove there was a nice dropoff or something technical to keep you awake. Then we hit some wide open downhills where it was full speed ahead – absolutely awesome. Finally we came down the last downhill with just a couple hundred feet to go and the trail headed – up? Yeah, steep up. Another short hike a bike, just to make sure your spirit was broken, and then another 100 feet of riding slightly up and it was done. In the end the course was very tough, but one of the most fun I ever remember doing – but then that could have been the bacon talking.

--Jeff

aka Diesel
    Jeff! You lucky bum! How did Nancy do?!

I'm sick with jealousy. I should have gone. Even just for the cheering aspect. Next year- New Zealand! ? Really? How fun would THAT be??

Sounds like you had a blast. The bacon part made me vurp, but it was a fun recount. Thanks for sharing, and good job!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Jeff! You lucky bum! How did Nancy do?!

I'm sick with jealousy. I should have gone. Even just for the cheering aspect. Next year- New Zealand! ? Really? How fun would THAT be??

Sounds like you had a blast. The bacon part made me vurp, but it was a fun recount. Thanks for sharing, and good job!
    Yeah, Deanna, it was all kinds of fun. I could see you out there in some crazy costume cheering people on. The spectators seemed to be having as much fun as we were.

I don't think they recorded anyone's finish past 1st place so we'll never know how we did. Nancy wasn't too far behind me though.

New Zealand would be great, but that is a bit of a haul.

Interestingly, Nancy was talking to Heather (the women's winner) outside a coffee shop before the race. She had a sweet Superfly 29er and Nancy was trying it out to see how it fit. We had no idea who this girl was at the time.

Found a video of the craziness here:
    http://www.durangoherald.com/sections/News/2009/09/20/2000plus_riders_race_for_winning_tattoos_at_Single _Speed_World_Championships/

Members who have read this thread: 0