SSedona- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: SSedona

  1. #1
    Aussie Battler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    214

    SSedona

    The good lady and I are heading to Sedona in November. We've been there a couple of times before and always packed our trail bikes(6" bikes). This is all well and good but the dirty truth is that I'm a singlespeeder at heart. Gears and squish are fun for a while but............
    A couple of trails I've ridden before wouldn't be happy places on SS (bits of hangover and some bits of hogs) but most trails I've ridden there are SS friendly, ie, only up or down.
    Any locals ride SS?? Do you ride SS for some trails and not others? or SS is the only way? What ratio do you run?
    I've convinced myself just need to convince the boss.

  2. #2
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562
    SS Chicks are way hotter. Tell her that, it should convince her.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    I know a few people that ride single speed on just about all of the trails. I definitely prefer squish, but the single speed guys kick my @$$...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  4. #4
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    I ride in Sedona occasionally and have found 32-20 on a 29er to be good.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    995
    I have been to Sedona on a 6" travel 26er and a 29er SS. I had a lot of fun on both bikes. The people I rode with were on similar bikes. Each group looked to do different things. The full suspension group ride was more tech and slower paced while trying different lines while the SS group was a big milage day trying to cover as many trails as possible.

    I used a 32x20 on my 29er.

    Horses for courses. It depends on the type of ride you and your lady want to have.

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,519
    Wouldn't suggest it, I have a 29er hardtail and I keep it mostly on trails here in Prescott, which are generally smoother with less abrupt transitions. There are a lot of rocky short climbs/descents on trails in Sedona. There are definitely routes you can ride a SS on, but IMO it limits the fun and trails significantly.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    rock crusher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    253
    I will ride both my FS 29er or hardtail 29er SS in Sedona. 32-21 is the gear I run. Sedona has very few long, sustained climbs, but plenty of techy sections that require short bursts of power and finesse. Lower gearing does not allow me the cadence to keep the cranks turning in those situations.

    I definitely will choose different lines, and occasionally different trails depending on the bike, but ultimately ride the same stuff... just doing it differently depending on the bike. And since there is less stuff to break and fail on the SS, it tends to get more burn on the red rocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSedona-view_from_mescal_mtn_sedona.jpg  

    Ventana Wolfram 29+, Coconino 29 SS, Eriksen 29 Hardtail, Independent Fab Gravel Royale, Rock Lobster roadie

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnold View Post
    The good lady and I are heading to Sedona in November. We've been there a couple of times before and always packed our trail bikes(6" bikes). This is all well and good but the dirty truth is that I'm a singlespeeder at heart. Gears and squish are fun for a while but............
    A couple of trails I've ridden before wouldn't be happy places on SS (bits of hangover and some bits of hogs) but most trails I've ridden there are SS friendly, ie, only up or down.
    Any locals ride SS?? Do you ride SS for some trails and not others? or SS is the only way? What ratio do you run?
    I've convinced myself just need to convince the boss.
    I've ridden SS in Sedona since 1997, geared starting back in 1986. It's more challenging at times but sometimes it's an advantage IMO. Take the SS's and Getsomeonya!
    My current favorite red rock SS bike is a Kona "A" full suspension with a 650B wheel up front, 26" out back,,,,,,,,,,,32x19 most days. It's been on the Hogs, Hangover, Highline, Transcept, the Shady's, Chuckwagon, Special Ed etc... dozens of times. Jayem even tagged along on a Spring Fling ride back in 2010. 2 Wheels Good

  9. #9
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66 View Post
    I've ridden SS in Sedona since 1997, geared starting back in 1986. It's more challenging at times but sometimes it's an advantage IMO. Take the SS's and Getsomeonya!
    My current favorite red rock SS bike is a Kona "A" full suspension with a 650B wheel up front, 26" out back,,,,,,,,,,,32x19 most days. It's been on the Hogs, Hangover, Highline, Transcept, the Shady's, Chuckwagon, Special Ed etc... dozens of times. Jayem even tagged along on a Spring Fling ride back in 2010. 2 Wheels Good
    Haha, yeah, we "crashed" the SS ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Haha, yeah, we "crashed" the SS ride.
    Jayem, I guess we were guilty of "crashing" your ride since we caught up to your group early on the Shady's. But you did glom onto the mostly SS ride (Rockman was geared) and were escorted on a semi-epic Highline and the Hogs loop on ideal Spring trail conditions.You bailed after we decided to finish up on the Shady's back to Bike n Bean from the Little Horse/Llama portion of the ride. All bikes are good, I prefer SS but will be out on the 5" Trance X with 2x9 this afternoon.

  11. #11
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnold View Post
    The good lady and I are heading to Sedona in November. We've been there a couple of times before and always packed our trail bikes(6" bikes). This is all well and good but the dirty truth is that I'm a singlespeeder at heart. Gears and squish are fun for a while but............
    A couple of trails I've ridden before wouldn't be happy places on SS (bits of hangover and some bits of hogs) but most trails I've ridden there are SS friendly, ie, only up or down.
    Any locals ride SS?? Do you ride SS for some trails and not others? or SS is the only way? What ratio do you run?
    I've convinced myself just need to convince the boss.
    Sedona is no place for a single speed. I almost have no fun riding there.







    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  12. #12
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...which are generally smoother with less abrupt transitions. There are a lot of rocky short climbs/descents on trails in Sedona. There are definitely routes you can ride a SS on, but IMO it limits the fun and trails significantly.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Sedona is no place for a single speed. I almost have no fun riding there.

    I wonder who the idiot was who built this section????????? Could that possibly be called a trail improvement???????

    TD

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    359
    32 x 20 on a 29" bike here, but not often.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

Similar Threads

  1. SSedona?
    By Scott forty G. in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.