SS Group- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Group

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SS Group

Anyone in Phoenix area a SS freak like me? Is there a SS community that we could put some SS specific rides together and what not? Jim W. used to be into it but don't hear too much from him anymore. I mainly ride S. Mtn area.

Pivoteer

I ride SS and South Mountain

I ride a Dean SS, it is my only bike, so I guess that makes me a freak. I would like to hook up sometime and we can ride. Let me know your schedule.

Thanks,
    Brandon

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ss4life here!

I'm just riding a POS converted HT but I'm going to build up a nice ss this winter.

I live near T100 and I ride there mostly.

Let me know if you guys get a ss ride together...I'm down for the cause.

Later,

Sean

I am Doctor Remulak
    There's quite a few SS riders in the valley (and on this board), but like all things MTB related here in Phoenix, there's not even a loosely organized group. Jim W still puts on a couple events a year although they aren't SS specific. I'd say post here for some SS specific rides and the word will get out.

Mike

I am Walt

Single-Speed Recommendation

I'm thinking of getting/building a single-speed. I try to stay in the middle chain ring for most of the easy/moderate stuff anyway, so I figure, what the heck. Plus, it's good for training.

Any recommendations? I've heard Fetish makes a good SS frame and Litespeed, also. What fork to go with? Probably no more than 85 mm (~3") and something light. Drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'm thinking of getting/building a single-speed. I try to stay in the middle chain ring for most of the easy/moderate stuff anyway, so I figure, what the heck. Plus, it's good for training.

Any recommendations? I've heard Fetish makes a good SS frame and Litespeed, also. What fork to go with? Probably no more than 85 mm (~3") and something light. Drivetrain?
    Walt, there is great info on your question in the singlespeed forum.. Someone is always posting that question, just look through some of the posts or post a new question there...Beaware that once you get a SS you geary will probably be used for hanging shirts on.

mtbr member
    I tried a Fetish frame once, and really hated it. It might have been the set up, but I wasn't a big fan. I picked up a cheap Supergo frame, and used old parts, and love it. Run LX cranks with a 34 Salsa ring, 18 rear cog (can't recall who makes it, but it's the non-ramped version), a Soul Cycle (or something) tensioner, a cheap ass Manitou 100mm fork (got brand new for $89), and a pair of used CrossRocs. In total, it weighs about 24lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pick Any

Cheapest route is to convert a older geared bike. Most any shop here in the valley know how to do that or can help you with the conversion. Look on E-bay for coversion kits. Do a search "single speed" there is normally alot of stuff hanging out there. Phoenix area shops that are famil. with conversions would be Rage in Scottsdale talk to Curley or Peter and SMC in Awatukee talk to Bob or Scott. There are some pre-built SS like Kona Unit and Solo-One from KHS $500 TO $800 or Surley makes a pretty bomber frame and you could build a complete bike fro around $1000 to $1200. But your best bet is to buy and old hardtail frame you like and convert it. Also the suggestion from SuperGo for that Aluim. frame for around $180 brand new and you could build up one there. Its alot of fun I don't owe a gearie anymore and I'm 45 years old!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

getting a SS and would like to join rides

I have a SS frame on order, about 4-5 weeks away though. I would like to ride with other SSer's. I live in Fountain Hills and ride here often. I look forward to my bike being done (it will be my only ride). Scott

mtbr member

SS in phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist
    Anyone in Phoenix area a SS freak like me? Is there a SS community that we could put some SS specific rides together and what not? Jim W. used to be into it but don't hear too much from him anymore. I mainly ride S. Mtn area.
    I do most of my ridding in Flagstaff (well, not now...) and Sedona...I would love to get a group going...
    Leo

I am Walt

Fork for SS?

I'm buildiing a SS on a Fetish Discipline frame and am looking for recommendations for a light, durable fork with 3-4" of travel. Cost IS an issue, so I am perfectly willing to buy "last year's model" to save $$.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'm buildiing a SS on a Fetish Discipline frame and am looking for recommendations for a light, durable fork with 3-4" of travel. Cost IS an issue, so I am perfectly willing to buy "last year's model" to save $$.

Thanks for the input.
    Hi,
    I am using a Manitou Black Comp 100/120 (2002) I like it, it's very light and i paid $150. I thin the new ones are about $300-400. You can check Supergo...( I hate that shop).
    I've had the for fo 2 seasons and no problems and i am a very agressive rider.
    Good luck
    Leo
    P.S. you can alway go full rigid, I ride with a rigid for in Flagstaff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Duke

The Rock Shox Duke XC is a good pick and fairly cheap and light. My wife runs it on her SS works good. Try a last years close out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Get a Redline Monocog, they are cheap and strong. Chromoly frame makes for a nice ride. I just picked one up at Cactus Bikes and love it. It is fully rigid and sells for a little under 400.00 I have rode it all around south MTN and have had zero complaints. The only changes I made where a new set of tires.

banned
    Dec 2003

I'm converting...

I decided last week to convert my 99 Klein Attitude Race to a SS...should have it done next week...then I'll be looking for you dudes to drag me up and down SoMo...

And for those who care or might be looking to convert but don't know what to do, DNA cycles in Mesa is running a $99 special - take in any geared bike, and get it back 100% converted to SS for $99...ask for Don.

ER