mtbr member

SS Drivetrain Suggestions...

I've decided that it's finally time to upgrade my SS drivetrain to an actual SS-specific crankset. I'm currently running a Shimano XT crankset with a Surly 32t ring and an ACS Claws 16t freewheel on my Surly 1x1. I've been looking at possibly getting a White Bros. Eno crankset or a TruVativ Stylon and pairing it with a White Bros. Eno freewheel. Is one recommended over the other, durability, reliability, etc. I'm a tall, larger rider so something that can hold up to the abuse would be great. I'd be interested to see what some fellow Arizonan SS'rs are running on their rigs. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations, don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to shell out a bit for a quality set up.

I am Walt
    First of all, check out the Singlespeed forum...lots of threads on SS cranksets...

I've been SS'ing for 5+ years, and ran an XT crankset with various chainrings for the first 4 years. Snapped two chainrings, and got tired of the chainring bolts working loose, so I switched to a WB ENO crankset 15 months ago. The ENO looks great, but in Jan, I started snapping chains every 150-200 miles, and noticed that the integrated chainring had developed a slight warp, which was causing the chains to break over time. The ENO was also damn creaky, regardless of how clean and lubed I kept it. Edit: I know I could just replace the integrated ring, but had no confidence that it wouldn't happen again. I'm 190 lbs and push a taller gear, so I'm high torquer...

I switched back to a Shimano XT M770 crankset two months ago, with a stainless Surly chainring, and ain't looking back. It's much quieter than the ENO, and I just have a helluva lot more confidence in it. Also, I'm using Sugino chrome chainring bolts with Loc-Tite, and they are bombproof.

I found a brand-new crankset on eBay, without the rings (which I didn't need anyway), for a great price. Worked out perfectly. Definitely get it off eBay - much less than all the online stores.

Also, I run a simple cog in back on a cassette body, rather than a freewheel cog...it's much easier to swap out to change cogs for different rides, but you have to get a new rear wheel or hub.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I'm running a set of BMX profile cranks and an e.13 chain ring...love the simplicity and durability of the 3 piece cranks. easy to dial in the chainline too. I'm running a 32x14 on my transam and it's super tall but great for DC. I just fly up those climbs and rail the downs. Love my SS!!!

mtbr member
    I agree with everything that Walt said above... I would skip the White Ind cranks and go with an SLX, XT or XTR. They are lighter, stiffer than the ENO, and really stand up to abuse. The external BB are standard and you can get them at any bike shop (VS the square taper of the ENO's). Also, maint is a lot easier with the external BB and the cranks will last a lot longer (If you take the square taper on and off a lot they do not fit right after a while) - not sure what year XT cranks you have, however the ones from the past couple of years work excellent.

I would also skip the truvative stylos - they are really flexy and very heavy. Same goes for the Truvative NOIR carbons. I have these cranks on my bikes and I there is a huge difference between these and the XTR's I run normally (I have a couple of bikes built with identical parts and frames... so the comparison is apples to apples)

I have also had excellent luck with the regular Salsa non-ramped aluminum chainrings. I typically get about a year out of one - putting on a ton of miles. They are about half the weight of the Surly, and cost around $20 bucks or so (however the surlys are awesome, just heavy)

Not the most "bling" parts but very functional and perform excellent for a taller heavy rider (I am a tall heavy SS'er that mashes big gears)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's not that I'm unhappy with my XT ss cranks, they're just in need of replacement... getting a little creaky like the previous set. Maybe I should be looking for a new XT crankset. Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like it may save me a few bucks to go that route.

mtbr member
    Thats odd that they would get creaky. Are they the external bottom bracket type? If so, are you sure it is the cranks and not a chainring bolt or maybe the bottom bracket getting creaky. I have abused the heck out of my XTR cranks and they get creaky after a while, however it has never been the crank... something else was going on (most of the time I have to pull the bb cups out, clean em up, grease, and reinstall or replace those)

But - new parts are always cool too... one other thought... check out the fifteen G SS cranks from the hive... SUPER sick cranks that are priced very well.

mtbr member
    Pulled the bottom bracket (actually put a new one in recently) and cleaned it up, checked the chainring bolts, and put it all back together with no resolve. This has occured on a previous set of XT cranks, replaced them with a new set and was good for quite a while. I do like the idea of some new gear, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge12
    Pulled the bottom bracket (actually put a new one in recently) and cleaned it up, checked the chainring bolts, and put it all back together with no resolve. This has occured on a previous set of XT cranks, replaced them with a new set and was good for quite a while. I do like the idea of some new gear, though.
    I have had creak problems with my ss drivetrain and have XT cranks as well. Turned out to be my pedal spindles that were creaking. Might pull them and grease, clean and put back. I have XTR pedals and totally stripped them down and put them all back together which cancelled that annoying noise. Props to one of the guys at Cactus that figured it out for me!

Members who have read this thread: 0