SS Crank Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS Crank Recommendations

Okay, I give up on my POS Truvative cranks. Can't do 10 friggin miles without the non-drive side crank arm coming loose.

Any recommendations on SS cranks that won't break the bank? Looking at a couple:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kset+W+Bb.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ankset+09.aspx
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I'm the wrong person to ask, still getting life out of my 7000 series truvative ISIS hussefelt cranks on my SS.
    b

Occidental Tourist
    Get a square taper bb some Enos and be done with it.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    XT or SLX and sell the rings on ebay..then buy a non ramped salsa ring.. GOLDEN>>>

A plethora of pinatas
    I guess you are just too darn strong for those cranks!

I have the Stylo cranks and I talked to Truvativ (SRAM) tech support on this issue. They said that most of the problems come from the crank bolt not being tightened to the correct tension. I took mine in to my LBS and had it cranked to the "correct tension" (12-15Nm) and have not had any probs.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...xp-05-r5-e.pdf
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    I guess you are just too darn strong for those cranks!

I have the Stylo cranks and I talked to Truvativ (SRAM) tech support on this issue. They said that most of the problems come from the crank bolt not being tightened to the correct tension. I took mine in to my LBS and had it cranked to the "correct tension" (12-15Nm) and have not had any probs.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...xp-05-r5-e.pdf
    I thought I had it licked. I tighted down using their specs, and didn't have any issues for a long time. Then, about a month ago, the arm came off. I tighted it on the trail, and it came loose two more times. Got back home, and cranked the sucker down, and no issues. Then, yesterday, it came loose again. I'm just getting fed up with them :-(.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Then, about a month ago, the arm came off. I tighted it on the trail, and it came loose two more times.
    Yup, when that happens, it's toast. I've had a couple square taper cranks where that happened. If it falls off like that, it has already destroyed the square-taper/octalink (old style) interface.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    maybe you could locktite it. the blue one, the bolt only.

Master Gardener
    I run XT cranks with a Spot chainring. It's beat to death but I got 5 years out of it.

Break open the piggy bank and get some White Industries cranks bro.

"Yabut"
    You really can't beat Shimano cranks. Sure, they are the big evil corporate giant. But the fact is, their **** works. I run the SLX on my SS.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't even remember how old my XT cranks are now. First gen hollowtech 2. I got em when they came out.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

i like cheese.
    You musta jinxed me when I read this earlier... My 'Spot' brand non-driveside crank has come off 4 times, and replaced once. Again tonight. Time to replace...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm riding a pair of 13 year old TNT cranks with the same age XTR bb. Stiff and zero maintenance! I think Airpark may have some TNT stuff laying around.

Other than that XT's or ENO's.

Good luck!

Ouch, I am hot!
    I AM JUST A JERK

~~~~~~~

middleburn

get a phil wood bb and never worry again. or get a UN-72 for almost nothing (which is what i did). i had the enos on before this, and the middleburns are definitely stiffer- not as flashy, but stiffer. chainrings last forever too. these are on my Pereira 29er

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    get a phil wood bb and never worry again. or get a UN-72 for almost nothing (which is what i did). i had the enos on before this, and the middleburns are definitely stiffer- not as flashy, but stiffer. chainrings last forever too. these are on my Pereira 29er

(best arkansas accent) "Now, those are pretty cranks boy"! Almost to pretty to ride.

mtbr member
    try pricepoint...I don't know what your budget it but I found a raceface x-type, xc/all mountain crank for about $110.00, very stiff and very light.

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by punterofkittens
    try pricepoint...I don't know what your budget it but I found a raceface x-type, xc/all mountain crank for about $110.00, very stiff and very light.
    and the bottom bracket is pretty sure to fail- check the reviews. from my experience and hearing from others i'd say one in three fails within 6 months if you ride anywhere with 1) fine dust 2) water. if you have both- ie stream crossings in a dry place- you get the double whammy.
    Last edited by Dirt_Diggler; 09-11-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Plus size jersey model
    I was having the same problem with my stylo's. I tries lock tight and it didn't work and the plumbers tape held for a few rides so last night I put some Crank Bros cranks on there so we'll see how those work out.

I am Walt
    +1 on the White Industries ENO's...though those Middleburn's look damn fine...

I've also run Shimano XT's, and those have been great, other than busting multiple chainrings...

meow
    +++ on Shimano external BB XT's, with Surly stainless ring in front, CK stainless cog in rear. Super strong and still goin strong with no issues for 4 years.

Not a Barry supporter.
    My Race Face aquare taper LP's are about 10 years old. Never had any issues. If these things EVER fail, I'm getting the ENO's.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    campy record crank!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS Crank Recommendations-120304_090210.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0