Thread: Squealing

Kathleen in AZ

Squealing

It's been two years since I "raced" the Squealer. This year, it was a goal to be recovered enough from my 6-mo ago surgery to ride it again - my goal was met! Squealer is a timed coast-to-coast ride on SoMo, mostly on National. After trying for 12 years, the Gnome finally got first in the geared guys category - can you imagine doing this ride in around 1 hr 30 minutes? Holy crap, that's fast. Our own Chongoman took an impressive 4th. DeJay from Tucson grabbed the SS guys title, and I even landed 3rd out of a total of 5 girl racers. Bunnies were out in force for the egg hunt and timing, and as always it was an incredibly good time. I've won the bloodiest biker award in past years - if only there were a bloodiest bike award! The AZ mountain biking scene is alive and well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squealing-img_7371.jpg  

Squealing-img_7376.jpg  

Squealing-img_7377.jpg  

Squealing-img_7387.jpg  

Squealing-img_7395.jpg  

Squealing-img_7407.jpg  

Squealing-img_7411.jpg  

Squealing-img_7413.jpg  

Squealing-img_7415.jpg  

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    It's great fun, wish I was able to do it this year. next year for sure and I hope to beat my best time. this is my kind of biking. I did make it to the San Tan Wheelie Jam though.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    You're a champ for getting out there for this so quick after the rebuild. Nice time too!
    I love the camraderie, cookies and flask sharing in the wash at the finish line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squealing-squealer11.jpg  

aka Diesel
    Looks like it was a great time and sucks I missed it; AGAIN. Maybe next year.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    I saw that pic of your bloody bike on Facebook yesterday. Congrats to Dave for his 1st place. I'll try to make it next year for sure.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

"Yabut"
    It was fun, as usual. I did much better at the beer drinking afterwards, than my actual time for the race. Truth be told, I was just setting myself up for the "Most Improved Rider" for next year. ;-)
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Man, DurtGurl, that looks like an awesome time! Congrats on your return. Look forward to riding with you again soon!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    It's been two years since I "raced" the Squealer. This year, it was a goal to be recovered enough from my 6-mo ago surgery to ride it again - my goal was met! Squealer is a timed coast-to-coast ride on SoMo, mostly on National. After trying for 12 years, the Gnome finally got first in the geared guys category - can you imagine doing this ride in around 1 hr 30 minutes? Holy crap, that's fast. Our own Chongoman took an impressive 4th. DeJay from Tucson grabbed the SS guys title, and I even landed 3rd out of a total of 5 girl racers. Bunnies were out in force for the egg hunt and timing, and as always it was an incredibly good time. I've won the bloodiest biker award in past years - if only there were a bloodiest bike award! The AZ mountain biking scene is alive and well.
    DG:

Great Job riding the race so soon after your surgery. Hope the post surgery soreness and swelling is getting better each month.

In one of your pictures you show one of our fearless hardcore Sedona rider's, Kristin, looks like she may have placed in the race. She is definitely one of the all around fastest riders here. Way to go Kristin!!!!

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.

pedaller
    She was THE fastest female Squealer also. Way to go Kristin!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

"No Clue Crew"
    Looks like a blast ! I wish I could have made it out for this one.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    DG:

Great Job riding the race so soon after your surgery. Hope the post surgery soreness and swelling is getting better each month.

In one of your pictures you show one of our fearless hardcore Sedona rider's, Kristin, looks like she may have placed in the race. She is definitely one of the all around fastest riders here. Way to go Kristin!!!!

TD
    Yup - Kristen rode strong and beat all us girls and quite a few of the guys! Was cool to meet a another gal who likes it rough (trails... rough trails).

"No Clue Crew"
    Was cool to meet a another gal who likes it rough (trails... rough trails).
    Nice try, DG. We all know what you really meant.

It's a slugfest!
    Sweet DG! Congrats on the podium finish! Way to represent the bionic bunch!

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

banned
    Yup - Kristen rode strong and beat all us girls and quite a few of the guys! Was cool to meet a another gal who likes it rough (trails... rough trails).
    Last summer she went to Downieville by herself and hooked up with a bunch of guys on the shuttle to do Big Boulder. She asked if she could ride with them and they said OK with reservations. Well she kicked their butts and beat them all back to town.

Members who have read this thread: 0