parenting for gnarness

Spur Cross - wildflower and kid-hiking beta?

I've never been to Spur Cross cause its not much of a riding destination, but wanted to get my kids onto something new. heard it can be good for wildflowers. We were thinking the Elephant Trail loop - supposed to be about 7 miles and ~800vf. How is the surface, rocky like the McDowells or pretty groomed?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I am assuming you want to mountain bike Elephant Trail ? not hike ? It is closed to mountain bikers. However, I have rode my mountain bike on it and its mostly really loose, steep, tore up fire road. Stuff I like but you all hate...

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/spur_c...s-11x17-3d.pdf

btw, as I recall, I rode this trail before it became closed to mt bikers....

The British ClimbMinister
    I have hiked it a few times. Counter clockwise is the way to go: SX trail from Cave Creek, stay on dirt road on EM Trail (no left on SX trail), left and down on EM trail singletrack, up and over Elephant Butte and back along SX trail. It is beautiful at the back of Elephant Butte. When the EM trail leaves the dirt road, there is a set of steps down into a wash system - be careful not to lose the trail - look out for small cairns marking the route. Then there is a steep climb up to the saddle and a steep scramble down to SX trail, and the long walk home. Fun for kids but hard work if they are small.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by climinsimon View Post
    I have hiked it a few times. Counter clockwise is the way to go: SX trail from Cave Creek, stay on dirt road on EM Trail (no left on SX trail), left and down on EM trail singletrack, up and over Elephant Butte and back along SX trail. It is beautiful at the back of Elephant Butte. When the EM trail leaves the dirt road, there is a set of steps down into a wash system - be careful not to lose the trail - look out for small cairns marking the route. Then there is a steep climb up to the saddle and a steep scramble down to SX trail, and the long walk home. Fun for kids but hard work if they are small.
    thanks Clim. great info. Found a map from another person's trip report that covers your route with some stats. Kids did Gateway loop in the McDs a few weeks ago, so should be a comparable effort. well, minus the Tequila Tree spur.

Meatbomb
    Hey, don't let those kids drink all our tequilla.... unless they replenish it that is

The British ClimbMinister
    So how was it chollaball?
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by climinsimon View Post
    So how was it chollaball?
    good times, thanks for the help!
    a bit harder than i thought. The map i used said 850 vf, but i think it was more like 11-1200 - not a big deal for me, but harder on the kids. the terrain itself also had ~50% that was rocky and some steep parts. So Mrs. Cball and I had to work a harder helping the kids along. They did great, i was really stoked for both of them. Very pretty area, once you get onto Elephant Mtn we didnt see anyone else til we rejoined the more popular trails. There are some really fun wash sections and exposed sections on Elephant Mtn. Not a lot of shade, dont do this one when its hot out.