Spring Break riding in Pine?- Mtbr.com
    Always in the wrong gear

Spring Break riding in Pine?

Family and I are coming up from Phoenix and spending a week (kids' Spring Break)in Strawberry/Pine in late march, and trying to decide if bringing my bike is worth it for a ride or three. Would happily drive 20-30 minutes if it netted a good 15-ish miles of riding. A 1.5-2hr ride would be great.

Not super familiar with Rim country area, and Trail-forks/Strava shows trails, but other than Fire on the Rim (which is partly closed unless race-time) I'm not sure what else there really is. A lot of the Strava segments are just random red snakey lines that seem to link forest roads, or just out-n-back.

The few loops I found in the "greater Payson area" are very short, Donahue(?) loop is like 2.5 miles.

Looking to get my ducks in a row over the next month.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Try contacting 87 Cyclery? I stopped in there while visiting Payson in July. The person working there was knowledgeable on the local trails. Looks like they are no longer a brick & mortar shop. There are links to trails on their website.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I have done a lot of camping in that area in the past couple years, and haven't been able to find any suitable single track (although I believe there is a trail or two up on the Rim). My riding in that area has been limited to poking around on forest roads. Hope this thread turns up a better option!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My mom has a place in Pine and I ride there about 10-15 times per year. Some great trails in the area. I've included a couple of my rides below. You can now take Bearfoot trail and loop around Pine Canyon trail all the way to the trailhead. It's a challenging but great ride. With a short detour through Strawberry you can do a good chunk of the FotR.

Would highly recommend taking your bike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/905169880
    https://www.strava.com/activities/622659237

mtbr member
    There is a trail scene in Pine but hard to find info. https://psfuelreduction.org/category/trails/

Anyone know if the Rim Country Mountain Bike Association is still alive and well? Website is down and FB page hasn't been active in 5 months. Hate to see another IMBA chapter roll over.

Always in the wrong gear
    Bump.
    Whats the trail conditions after all the rain and snow?

Still debating on taking my bike. I want to ride (will be there 8 days) but due to only having one car I'm limited to what I can reach from the cabin on Fossil Creek rd. I'm not comfortable leaving the wife and my two boys (5&7 y/o) with no vehicle.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Black and Sticky
    Check out Bearfoot Trail, Pine Canyon, Pine-Strawberry Trail. Those are pretty good trails in the Pine-Strawberry area. Itís been a year or two since Iíve ridden them. Bearfoot Trail is my favorite and there are a lot of loop opportunities in that area. Check out the Trailforks maps for the Pine-Strawberry area and youíll find lots of stuff around there. There may be issues with fallen trees, etc. at this time of the year. Hopefully some locals can be more specific for you.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    I just tried to ride Pine Strawberry Trail and it was way too soggy. Didn't even take the bike out of the truck. All of the north facing slopes still have snow on them. It might be a week or 2 till it dries out. There is a fairly significant chance of rain later this week which won't help. Sorry.

There is still a ton of snow up top on the rim. You can take the kids up there and make a snowman and pelt them with snowballs if you want. Take 87 up past the 260 about 2 miles and on the left side is FR149. You can pull in and park there.

Always in the wrong gear
    Oh, man. That sucks a lot. I literally have a duffel bag of gear and tools by the door and as soon as the suitcase is in, the bike rack was going on the hitch.

mtbr member
    Oddly enough it's pouring buckets right now. Sleet even.