Spin classes in Scottsdale- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Spin classes in Scottsdale

Hey all, I realize this isn't an mtb question per se, but I'm a mountain biker looking to supplement training with spin classes. Having difficulties finding affordable options so thought I'd throw it out to the forum.

Hoping to do my first FOTP this year too. In past years I've done my own "Flight of the Fetal Pigs" which was fun, but hoping to step it up this year and "graduate".

Any help on spinning is much appreciated!

Eric

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by _azmtbr_
    Hey all, I realize this isn't an mtb question per se, but I'm a mountain biker looking to supplement training with spin classes. Having difficulties finding affordable options so thought I'd throw it out to the forum.

Hoping to do my first FOTP this year too. In past years I've done my own "Flight of the Fetal Pigs" which was fun, but hoping to step it up this year and "graduate".

Any help on spinning is much appreciated!

Eric
    Do you belong to a gym? Most offer spinning classes - Bally's, Gold's, Mountainside, etc.

Otherwise, I think there are some boutique spinning studios, but they are pricey. I don't know them...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks waltaz, yes i do belong to a gym but they don't offer spinning. i was looking for the boutique style studios, but one on the more affordable side... if thats even possible.

I am Walt
    thanks waltaz, yes i do belong to a gym but they don't offer spinning. i was looking for the boutique style studios, but one on the more affordable side... if thats even possible.
    What about just riding more? I used to spin at Bally's, but now, I just try to work in another ride or two as my MTB spinning workout. Or go do laps at Pemberton - as close to spinning or road biking as you can get on a mountain bike.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I know, I agree. Sometimes though it's just easier to not have to throw the bike in the car and prep for a before/after work ride. Get a hard 60min of spin, shower, and be 5-10min from work sometimes is just so much easier...

Ridin' Dirty
    What about going to a different gym that offers spin classes?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meatpuppet
    I belong to LA Fitness, and used to do their morning spin classes before work.
    M-W-F 5:45 - 6:45 - but now I have turned to sack of goo
    They do really help with the cardio though
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr
    I belong to LA Fitness, and used to do their morning spin classes before work.
    M-W-F 5:45 - 6:45 - but now I have turned to sack of goo
    They do really help with the cardio though
    Make up your mind...160# meat sack or sack of goo?
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I used to belong to LAFit. and went to their AM classes as my sole means of training for the Tour de Tucson (combined with mtn biking). Worked out fairly well actually. But I no longer enjoy LAFit and I love my gym.

All I need is some sweet little spinning studio, close to work in the FLW/Scottsdale Rd area... preferably with showers

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Make up your mind...160# meat sack or sack of goo?

Well in all fairness, the 160 is from a couple months ago.
    Straight lifting, no cardio got me 174 lbs.
    but thats not condusive to athletics(I know now)
    I'm now 170 and back on the cardio train, lifting no more than twice a week

Soooo, 160lb. meat sack is what I'm striving for again.
    I get bored real easy and make these little projects up for myself, good or bad.

Meatpuppet
    I used to belong to LAFit. and went to their AM classes as my sole means of training for the Tour de Tucson (combined with mtn biking). Worked out fairly well actually. But I no longer enjoy LAFit and I love my gym.

All I need is some sweet little spinning studio, close to work in the FLW/Scottsdale Rd area... preferably with showers
    Phone Book

Desert Dweller
    Jan 2004

Go to Reza...

Reza is a small place right near where you work. He(Reza) is an accomplished cyclist who has some really killer workouts.Definately check him out. www.rezaresort.com
    Dodi

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Or you could simply add in two runs a week. Nothing extreme, 3 to 5 miles, mix in some sprints along the way. Really, really boosts your overall fitness level and it's simple. Shoes and shorts, you can do it anywhere.
    d

mtbr member
    Studio 360 3627 E Indian School Road, suite 102.
    Longest running drop saddle "boutique" in town. 5;!5 am classes are great as well as an assortment of others during the week.

my knees hurt
    I know you said you love your gym but there are a bunch of mt. bikers in the spin classes I do at Golds, 5:45 AM class Tues and Thurs.....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    What about getting a trainer and spin on your own bike at home?

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I've done a few spin classes and although you sweat like crazy I didn't really seem to get much out of them. I'd say cross-train with a few runs during the week. A really good run is to start at the Ramadas off 48th st., run up National and down Mormon. It's only about 6 miles but the run up National will kick your arse!

involuntary dismounter
    spinning will give you good cardio training, decrease your recovery rates and increase your endurance. they won't do much for your strength...lifting is best for that...

as for finding classes in your area, try:

www.spinning.com

right below the banner is the 'find an official spinning center'. just punch in your zip code and voila!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

x-cycle

There's a pretty cool spin studio in Scottsdale that opened recently. It's not your traditional spin not drop saddle - lots of gear, climbs, more that x-cycle than spin.
    It's called RhythmCycle on Shea Blvd. Check out Instructor Matt, he's training for the iron man and is worth checking out.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    First post to pimp your business in a 6-year-old thread. Awesome.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    First post to pimp your business in a 6-year-old thread. Awesome.
    this has the makings of a great video. The NCC falling of their mounted bikes, re-doing it 4x for the camera, sharing their pads with the shaved wraith-like TriDorks. lots of cussing, smelling bad...
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    Spin Class is the STUPIDEST idea.....EVER...well, ok, it's about as stupid as the EliptiGo. If you ride a bike (which you do if you're reading this) and have a bike...then you can get on said bike....and SPIN. If it's a mountain bike and you want high RPM's....then head out on the road or gear down.......I know....novel idea, huh?!?!?!.

If you don't feel you are getting a good enough workout on your bike....then you're doing it all wrong.

SPIN is for folks who don't ride or who are stuck on travel and don't have their bikes with them.....I know...I issued exchanges for "defective" tubes to folks who could not change a flat....they're the kind of folks that when asked where they were riding, they would respond "my local spin class".....makes me sick thinking of a person doing all that work and going nowhere....which is where your soul will go if you SPIN.

God kills a kitten everytime you pay for a SPIN Class. What do they teach at a SPIN class anyways.....how to spin? I never knew it was that hard?!?!?!?

Really?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    this has the makings of a great video. The NCC falling of their mounted bikes, re-doing it 4x for the camera, sharing their pads with the shaved wraith-like TriDorks. lots of cussing, smelling bad...
    Most of the guys in my group COULD, in fact, crash a stationary bike.

Give it a crank
    I always thought SPIN stood for "Silly Pedaling Indoor Nonsense".

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Most of the guys in my group COULD, in fact, crash a stationary bike.
    I have no doubts. Ive seen drew drive AND ride..

For the OP. Club Sar for scottsdale residents is about the cheapest you can get. they do spin.

A better suggestion: save the gym fees and get a road bike. Way better for fitness and you can actually spin outside!

Members who have read this thread: 0