Got a suspension fork

Specialized Purgatory 29er - thoughts on it?

My current Bonty tires don't have a ton of life in them and I'm looking towards the new set of tires. Saw some talk of Specialized Purgatory tires which are TRL compatible with my Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheelset.

Hoping that some of you may have some experience with these tires in our local terrain.

Please tell what you think of them.

Recent tires I've run and my thoughts on them.

all these are 29er tires:

Nevegal, for all the great press they get I was seriously let down. No major faults other than poor sand navigability, just an ok tire in my book.

Small Block 8, absolutely loved it on the rear as far as traction and ride - too fragile in our rock'scape trail systems. I won't run these anymore.

Bontrager Jones ACX, Very different tread pattern than the Small Block 8, but I found that I like them nearly as much, still a bit fragile but tougher than the SB8. They wear pretty fast too.

Bontrager 29-3 Front, I like this front tire, better than the Nevegal anyway. Also wears fast, heavy, in fact while it feels impervious because of it's heft, I have about 8 places where slime is coming through the tire - so heavy doesn't always equate to less cactus and thorn holes.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    29er tires I've liked: Ardents, Geax Sahuaro, WTB Weirwolf LT (currently on my 29er). No experience with the 29er Purgatory, but I run the Purg. UST on my 26er and like it. Very tough tire, not light.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    I have been running the 29er Purg. since January, set up ghetto tubeless on 28mm Halo hoops. This tire flat out hooks up in the loose stuff for me at 30-32psi. My previous fave front tire was a Nevegal, which I still run on another bike, and still like a lot. The Purg. is kind of like a Nevegal on steroids. It does dig in a bit more than a Nevegal or Rampage does, and being able to hold such a tight line in the corners is a little different when my arse end is washing out.

It is definitely a compromise tire: gain traction and give up on the rolling resistance. I run it as front tire, when it will occasionally rub the front arch of the Reba SL it hangs under, so clearance may be a consideration for you. I could not imagine it out back... would be a total dog to push up hill, but I would expect similar traction to what it provides up front. The lugs on it are tall! No sidewall tears or anything else to speak of, riding primarily in Sedona and Flag, with a few BCT and McDowell forays earlier this spring.

I agree with you on the SB8's and Bonti tires... roll great, but may not get you home. My sidewalls lasted under a month on each on 2 Bonti's and 2 SB8's.

Got a suspension fork
    Pitch, are you running the 2.4 or 2.2 Purgatories - I can't see how a 2.2 would barely clear a Reba.

mtbr member
    Think the Purgatory would be good option for the front.

I am currently running (on 29er rigid SS tubeless on Cr29ssmax) WTB Weirwolf on front and Spec Fast Trak Control on rear. Both a little slippy in the now really loose trails but roll fast and have had no issues - other than a little sliding action on some steeper downs. Two minor side wall tears on the Fast Trak but have repaired them and holding fine.

Did Pythons (killed both first two weeks), tried a Nanoraptor in rear loved the tire but ripped sidewall first week and then tore a huge hole in the tread the next week and kept flatting even with patch and tube.

Last year ran a Spec Captain Control 2.2 in front and SB8 in rear. Awesome duo, amazingly the SB8 held up but wore down fast.

Tried a Captain 2.0 in front this year with the Fast Trak in back but it kept washing out and ending up with bad crash resulting in two broken ribs.

As both current tires are wearing down will probably get another Captain 2.2 for front or try the Purgatory and put an SB8 on for racing or try another Nanoraptor again.

Fun with tires in PHX!!

Got a suspension fork
    fyi, the Captain Control 2.2 is on sale for $30.

linky to Specialized 29er Specials.

edit: Just noticed this is not the 2Bliss version

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm currently liking an Eskar 2.3 front, Captain 2.0 rear, both controls, on my fs 29er. Riding primarily SoMo XC, but also hitting some of the more AM type stuff in the area. Also have used and liked a Wierwolf front/Exiwolf rear, also like the Geax Saguaro for a rear in the TNT casing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm running the Purgatory 2.4 on the front, Saguaro TNT on the rear (almost bald). I don't have any clearance issues with the 2.4 and the Reba SL. I really like the tire up front, rolls much faster than you'd think and holds a line well. I might add a Captain 2.2 on the rear when the Saguaro dies. Specialized's tire warranty is worth the premium price IMHO.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Pitch, are you running the 2.4 or 2.2 Purgatories - I can't see how a 2.2 would barely clear a Reba.
    2.4's

Members who have read this thread: 0