South Mtn. National Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

South Mtn. National Trail

I'm looking for someone who has some experience riding National trail to ride on Wednesday 4/7/10. I've been wanting to try it out for some time but would feel a little more confident with someone who's done it before. My riding buddy did Pass Mtn a few months ago and that was enough to make him not wanna do National yet. PM me if anyone out there wants to go riding.

mtbr member
    Bummer! I'm going to be out of town next Wednesday otherwise I would do it with you. I did it for the first time last Wednesday. It's doable alone, just roll up to each section and dismount. Walk it to check out the line and where you have to enter at the top. Then walk back up and ride it. I did that for each section and cleared all but one.

The key things are braking, momentum and confidence. If you use too much of one and not enough of the other things will go badly. Don't ride anything that you don't feel comfortable doing.

I also had to talked myself up a few times like "YOU CAN DO THIS! COME ON! RIDE IT MOTHER F***ER!" I'm sure it would have been a sight to see if someone walked up on me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Armor up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i would like to try somo one of this days. where do everyone park or start? i'm in glendale. only trail i go to is T100 and i know there are plenty of trails around az but i just don't know where to start.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Armor is a really really good idea on SoMo... I've actually been armoring up on most of my rides now. It seems like every time I wear armor I don't need it and the times I don't wear it I come home bloodied and bruised right where the armor would have been (must be a sign).

mtbr member
    CM- I think I have the skills necessary just need a little more confidence. That's a good tip to walk the section first. I usually just roll up slowly and go for it. That method has failed me a few times, so I'll try the walk method.
    bRyAZSig228- @ SoMo there is a parking lot off of 48th st. and Guadalupe. You'll have to look at google maps for the name (can't remember it). The other good trails in Phx are: Hawes, San Tan, Desert Classic, Pemberton, and Competitive loops (Mcdowell Mtn.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode SoMo for the first time on a trip a couple of weeks ago. REI has a decent map, went alone but met a great guy in the parking area. We matched skills fairly well and rode Mormon to National then down National. Excellent trail, doable alone just don't ake stupid chances, however the nice thing is if you do go down by yourself someone will be buy is a few minutes.

Bottom line try it, a partner would be great but don't let not having one stop you.

Shred...it's the new drug
    If you really want to ride with some boys and girls that hit natty alot, hope on the shuttle with us wed. mornin'. You can save your pedal legs for shredding down. Probably get a couple attempts at hitting it. If you can keep on our wheels we'll show you the multitude of lines that are out there and how to hit them at speed But if you're more the pedal type, pedal up and meet us at the top at 7am and we'll all rally down together Bring armor and as much travel as you can spare...oh and double wall tires and extra tubes.

aka Swamp ThAAng
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    If you really want to ride with some boys and girls that hit natty alot, hope on the shuttle with us wed. mornin'. You can save your pedal legs for shredding down. Probably get a couple attempts at hitting it. If you can keep on our wheels we'll show you the multitude of lines that are out there and how to hit them at speed But if you're more the pedal type, pedal up and meet us at the top at 7am and we'll all rally down together Bring armor and as much travel as you can spare...oh and double wall tires and extra tubes.
    Golly Bobby, don't scare the guy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the invite, but 7am is too early, gotta drop off daughter at daycare before I head out. I keep hearing "bring armor" so I'm gonna have to grab a set this weekend. I think I'm gonnna take CrankyMonkey's advice and walk the tougher sections first. I have insurance and bones heal. But my entire bike budget for the year was spent all at once when I got my Stumpjumper FSR. If something critical is damaged I'm stuck without a ride for awhile.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by sjreeves717
    But my entire bike budget for the year was spent all at once when I got my Stumpjumper FSR. If something critical is damaged I'm stuck without a ride for awhile.
    Stay away from SoMo if that's the case.

I love bike!
    You gotta at least check it out. Decending, I'd say at least 90% is rideable to the intermediate rider. I'm maybe slightly above intermediate (others may disagree ) and can ride down everything except the waterfall (which I've just not had the cajones to attempt). Size up anything that looks questionable and ride or hike it. At least you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

Personally I have a tougher time on Pass Mtn than decending Nat'l. Pass Mtn seems much more relentless to me. Maybe not as many bigger moves but lots of smaller obstacles one after the other that you need to be on your toes constantly for. Pass is one of my favorite techy rides in the valley.

Now going up Nat'l from the Pima lot is a different animal (a somewhat stuborn and scary animal like a grizzly bear or something). But will make you better.

mtbr member
    national is only as difficult as you make it. I have done it many times on a STP400 (Trek softail) wearing a full on XC kit (lycra sans armor) and I just had to ride within the bike and my own boundaries. I walked none of it, only fell when I didn't carry enough speed and tipped over. Bike- unscathed. Tires and wheels- a little truing to the Rolf's and I was good. Now if you are bombing it- different story. The Mormon up- National down is a nice route for fit people (not me right now).
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Stay away from SoMo if that's the case.
    Would agree that National will take your lunch money. If indeed your are full in on your intial build, you may want to consider that National will eat parts with or without previous experiance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah ride smart, common sense rules and oh yes, Armor up!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Descent 5.75
    Would agree that National will take your lunch money.
    Best quote ever

I want to get a t-shirt that says NATIONAL STOLE MY LUNCH MONEY !

Members who have read this thread: 0