Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    495

    South Mountain rides?

    I'll be in Phoenix Friday and Saturday. I was told I should not miss National trail, among others. Looks like South Mountain has a variety of fun stuff and was curious if there are any group rides with some local knowledge I could take part in.

    My skillset leans more towards the advanced side. But I'm old and slow, so young shredders will be waiting on descents. But I can handle most conditions, but double blacks will have me scouting drops before attempting a descent.

    I'm good for 30 miles and 4-5k of vert, but always happy for a chill ride as well.
    Last edited by i.a.n.; 04-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.

  2. #2
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,068
    I'm a little surprised that no one in 20 hours has hit you up... I likely won't be riding this weekend but you definitely should not miss National.

    Maybe a better description of what you want and what you are capable of would help?

    Many, if not most, of the trails on SoMo are mean, technical, brutal beasts. Some you'll HaB up thinking, "I'm gonna ride down this?" It is unlike most riding destinations.

    If the chunk isn't your thing then there are other options: Phoenix Mountain Preserve, Hawes, Sonoran...

  3. #3
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,032
    Saturdays on SoMo are packed. That said, if you're looking for some local help I'd be happy to take you up and down National.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    120
    As far as group rides, Global Bike Shop hosts a Saturday morning ride every Saturday at South Mountain. It is called The Nacho Ride and it is geared toward beginner/intermediate riders, seems to lean a little more towards the intermediate side the times I have been. Fun ride and usually led by James or Tim from the shop who are both excellent resources.

    https://www.meetup.com/Global-Bikes-...nts/239303909/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    495
    Hey Mike, you're totally right, my bad.

    I'm good with any trail conditions - chunk, flow, steep up and down. I'm too old and my body is too broken to worry if I gotta hike a bike. My pride can take it. My conditioning is meh at the moment. But I'm good for 30ish miles and 4-5k of vert.

    I'll do my best not to hold anyone up, but I can handle myself in tech conditions...and I've got beer to share.

    - Ian

    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I'm a little surprised that no one in 20 hours has hit you up... I likely won't be riding this weekend but you definitely should not miss National.

    Maybe a better description of what you want and what you are capable of would help?

    Many, if not most, of the trails on SoMo are mean, technical, brutal beasts. Some you'll HaB up thinking, "I'm gonna ride down this?" It is unlike most riding destinations.

    If the chunk isn't your thing then there are other options: Phoenix Mountain Preserve, Hawes, Sonoran...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Saturdays on SoMo are packed. That said, if you're looking for some local help I'd be happy to take you up and down National.
    Thanks, dude! I was looking at loops that would include National, such as the Mormon Loop. Looks like you either ride up road or hike a bike up bouldery stuff to get to the fun descents. Sound about right?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    495
    Looks like a slightly shorter ride than I was hoping for, but I''ll hit up the shop and get some info. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by ericridebike View Post
    As far as group rides, Global Bike Shop hosts a Saturday morning ride every Saturday at South Mountain. It is called The Nacho Ride and it is geared toward beginner/intermediate riders, seems to lean a little more towards the intermediate side the times I have been. Fun ride and usually led by James or Tim from the shop who are both excellent resources.

    https://www.meetup.com/Global-Bikes-...nts/239303909/

  8. #8
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I'm good with any trail conditions - chunk, flow, steep up and down. I'm too old and my body is too broken to worry if I gotta hike a bike. My pride can take it. My conditioning is meh at the moment. But I'm good for 30ish miles and 4-5k of vert.

    I'll do my best not to hold anyone up, but I can handle myself in tech conditions...and I've got beer to share.
    Jesus... if you can ride 30 miles with 5k feet of climbing I'm guessing you aren't gonna be holding anyone up!

    I searched through some bookmarks and found a Strava track from Kenny.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/3655612

    You might try searching for South Mountain, SoMo, or National. I know there are a few threads about monster SoMo rides but, as you can see, that track is 25 miles and covers the whole park from E to W and back. You won't find any EASY miles on SoMo, though!

  9. #9
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,032
    10 miles of climbing and descending National is equivalent-ish to 20 or so miles of normal riding. It's only 1,100 or so feet of climbing.

    There are plenty of ways up the mountain. Commonly folks park at the Pima lot, climb a mile or so up the fire road. You can then choose whether to climb National or Mormon Loop. The two meet a few miles up and then you continue up National as far as you wish to go.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    495
    In this heat I'll probably crack after 5 miles.

    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Jesus... if you can ride 30 miles with 5k feet of climbing I'm guessing you aren't gonna be holding anyone up!

    I searched through some bookmarks and found a Strava track from Kenny.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/3655612

    You might try searching for South Mountain, SoMo, or National. I know there are a few threads about monster SoMo rides but, as you can see, that track is 25 miles and covers the whole park from E to W and back. You won't find any EASY miles on SoMo, though!

  11. #11
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Thanks, dude! I was looking at loops that would include National, such as the Mormon Loop. Looks like you either ride up road or hike a bike up bouldery stuff to get to the fun descents. Sound about right?
    There's only a couple spots on National that people prefer the road to. To anyone with some decent technical skill and stamina 90+% of National is rideable and the sections that you'll have to HaB are very short.

  12. #12
    lets ride
    Reputation: hazmatt480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    63
    Sunday shuttles at 7 am...check out az shortbus on Facebook. Or just show up, just give a donation..they meetc at the big parking lot on central at the base of the mountain

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    495
    I rode SoMo on Friday. Parked at Pima, did the Mormon loop, came down National and ran into some locals who I rode back up with, then hit the descent again. That's a stupid fun trail. I was on my single speed and struggled to get up some of the steep rocky pitches (had to hike a bike a bit), but coming down was fine. The 'Waterfall' was the only section that had me in pucker mode. You need to be on your game at all times on the descent. Nothing quite chunky like that at home in Santa Cruz.

    I rode Hawes today. Nothing really technical, but the views are insane and it was nice to just get in a hammer ride on the flowy trails. I had no idea Phoenix had such good riding. Sedona gets all the attention, but you guys have some legit trails here.

  14. #14
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    The 'Waterfall' was the only section that had me in pucker mode. You need to be on your game at all times on the descent.
    Yup. I still get butterflies in my belly upon approach. Seen a bad crash or two there. Had a crash or twelve there.

  15. #15
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,157
    Glad you had a great time. Other than the crazy heat in the summer we are pretty spoiled. Lots of other options on SoMo or around the valley and I would recommend bringing the 6 inch squishy bike next time unless you're just sick like that.

    BTW...I've donated some blood to the waterfall just like most of us that have tried it have so kudos to you for giving it a shot. Post up next time you're in town.

Similar Threads

  1. South Bay Trails/Rides for a Beginner?
    By House Targaryen in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 07:36 AM
  2. South Lake Tahoe rides - 7/30
    By mb_ in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
  3. AZSF Friday, March 16: Phoenix, South Mountain/T100 rides
    By azepicriderandrunner in forum Arizona
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
  4. South Shore rides 9/24 and 9/25
    By makeuswim in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
  5. South Bay Memorial Day Rides?
    By tsimbu in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.