South Mountain Helipad Q- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

South Mountain Helipad Q

Thinking about checking out the ride to the Helipad, haven't ever ridden to it before.

I know how to get to the starting point from DC and then cutting south...

Q: This route shown, what is the descent like continuing along this path back to DC, instead of backtracking?

Thanks.

GPX file

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I just went down that section last weekend, Goat trail? I consider myself a XC rider, so I had no issue walking down sections of it. A couple of steep loose sections and some gnar IMO. I'm sure plenty of riders here have no problem going down it, but in the future I'll be backtracking.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

parenting for gnarness
    its been a few yrs, but my recollection is the goat trail is loose but wasn't all that rewarding even for the gnar factor. i enjoy that ridgeline and the ledgy climb back to DC a lot.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Got a suspension fork
    Thanks guys!

Sounds like that Goat trail isn't a high fun factor, think I'll backtrack as well.

Shred...it's the new drug
    the back track is one of the flowyest funner trails on the mountain...4 minutes of heaven

mtbr member
    Goat Trail is actually pretty fun, but only takes about a minute from top to bottom.

Climbing it the last few years has been my nemesis. I've cleaned every section on it, but haven't been able to do it all in a single attempt. I aint that fantastic of a climber, and I'm sure thousands of people have done it, but I just can seem to link it together in a perfect climb.

It is kinda loose and rutted, and just when you think it isn't all that bad, it gets steep, and then just before you get to the false summit, you are thrown some very tricky technical climbing. From the false summit you go down a bit, then its another lung busting crawl up loose gravel with another challenging technical scramble to the top.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @randyharris, if you are still healing you may want to go back down the way you go up. The ridgeline descent is much fun, so is Goat Trail, but Goat is rutted up from the rains and is loose and in spots very steep and semisortof gnar. Definitely hit it when you are fully recovered.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I agree with u2metoo, the goat trail is a nice decent IMO, its certainly sketchy in some spots but I have been doing it so often that its never anything that I get out of control on. Climbing it however, I tried it once when I "thought" the goat trail was actually the helipad climb. It was rough for sure, enough to scare me away at the time. I need to give it another go now that I have improved since the first attempts. Back-tracking is certainly fun too but I toss in the helipad climb and GT decent when I am doing DC C2C2C so maybe back tracking makes more sense for you based on your ride.

mtbr member
    Ahh yes, the Goat trail... I rode it a long time ago for the first time and haven't been back to SoMo since. LOL

I posted the carnage here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=563033

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I rode down the Goat Trail today, not too bad, there isn't any places that I can't slow to a crawl if desired to safely navigate it. Fun fun fun!!!!

Got a suspension fork
    Sounds like a few trips to the Helipad are warranted, will try both routes back.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So I just looked at Gatorturo's carnage link and I do have to agree, that first section just after turning off the helipad trail headed down GT was the most intimidating part for me as well initially but I found a line all the way to the left (it skirts the very edge of the trail and is a bit higher line that trail center) allows me to cruise it and pretty much just roll the couple of ledges encountered through that section. Its never been an issue with the use of that line.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You might have to walk a tiny section around the beginning of the goat path, but that's about it. It's cleanable down and up. The xc section returning after that is fast and fun, but with a lot of blind turns. Both are fun...do it twice.

Got a suspension fork
    I rode DC and did the Helipad this morning, nice good climb, I appreciated how it wasn't a constant grind but had some elevation variety to it.

SS climbing is certainly not my strongest point, managed an 8min 46sec time, and had to walk several sections with my 32x20 gearing.

I came back the way I climbed, it's a good ride. Next time I'll try the goat trail down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good job. How'd you make out at the sharp left switchback? I'm usually getting smoked by that point, but I think the toughest part is the steep part right before the switchback. A couple of months ago was the first time that I cleaned the whole climb with out so much as a dab, did it on my Firebird and not my XC bike, go figure.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    maybe try classic to the goat, ride up to the hell pad then down the ridge droppin back onto classic. after they closed the dirt road to the top, that was a old fave when i lived out there and gives ya some of the best dirt dc has to offer imho but maybe thats not true anymore. its been 6+ years since i went that far out on that trail. on our DNR's, we normally do the loop on the mountainside and head back, forget the name.

i didnt think goat ever lived up to its rep of bein that bad. like most of that area, its all in how much speed ya wanna carry. nuthin wrong with draggin old lx cantis all the way down or forgettin ya have hope techs at yer disposal. the ridge has much more risk if ya ask me
    No, I'm NOT back!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Good job. How'd you make out at the sharp left switchback? I'm usually getting smoked by that point, but I think the toughest part is the steep part right before the switchback. A couple of months ago was the first time that I cleaned the whole climb with out so much as a dab, did it on my Firebird and not my XC bike, go figure.
    I had to walk just before that switchback, but was able to clean the switch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    I had to walk just before that switchback, but was able to clean the switch.
    Yeah, that spot is tough, it usually gets me. I almost always clean the switch, but the next right hander can be tough also. If I get through that, I've got it.

nodejitsu
    Who puked on Helipad yesterday?

Members who have read this thread: 0