Sonoran Desert Preserve rideable after last rain? 1/16/19- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Sonoran Desert Preserve rideable after last rain? 1/16/19

Prescott got almost an inch of rain and trails are no good. Was thinking of heading down and hitting Sonoran Desert Preserve.

Anyone know if it gets muddy or is it good to ride?

Thanks!

Meatbomb
    It's all good...

mtbr member
    Was thinking along the same lines for the weekend. Anywhere else in N. Phoenix that will be in good condition?
    Veni vidi velo!

Meatbomb
    we have not had enough rain to be concerned...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    we have not had enough rain to be concerned...
    Cool, thanks Phillbo.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sweet. Thx!

mtbr member
    I rode the north Phoenix Sonoran Preserve today. Trails were primo.

mtbr member
    Sonoran Desert Preserve? I live in the north Valley and ride all over, but not sure where this is.

If you are talking Phx Sonoran Preserve or AKA Apache Wash or trails between Carefree Hwy on the north Happy Valley on the south bisected by Dove Valley/ Sonoran parkway..

Those trails mostly hold up well, but not the flats on the eastern end of northern park. So Apache Wash Trail proper, Esplande, Cliff Walk, and Brawling Badger can get wet spots and be soft. If we get no rain today and enough sun they could be fine. If not it would stay off them. THe trails further west drain well and should be fine. Trails south of Dove Valley/Sonoran Pkwy also drain well and should be fine. These are general more rocky as they are older and more worn in that trails on north park.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Those trails mostly hold up well, but not the flats on the eastern end of northern park. So Apache Wash Trail proper, Esplande, Cliff Walk, and Brawling Badger can get wet spots and be soft. If we get no rain today and enough sun they could be fine. If not it would stay off them.
    Yeah, some horse peeps didn't get the memo and trashed a section of Apache. Unreal, they did more damage than any bike could do.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Yeah, some horse peeps didn't get the memo.....

Horse peeps never get the memo.
    It's amazing how they complain about tire ruts, but baked-in postholes don't seem to phase them.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Horse peeps never get the memo.
    It's amazing how they complain about tire ruts, but baked-in postholes don't seem to phase them.
    They like riding when it's soft. It's good for the horsey hooves.

Ahhh the pain....
    you ain't gonna like Brown's then...whoresy people tore it up the last few days too.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    you ain't gonna like Brown's then...whoresy people tore it up the last few days too.
    I wonder where the blue shirt trail stewards were to remind the horse folks not to make post holes? So discouraging to see trail damage caused by inconsiderate equestrians. Itís getting tougher for me to support their right to be there.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I wonder where the blue shirt trail stewards were to remind the horse folks not to make post holes? So discouraging to see trail damage caused by inconsiderate equestrians. Itís getting tougher for me to support their right to be there.

Bob
    No sh*t. When I tried to get the director for the Horseman's Alliance in Flagstaff to come to the table to discuss trail proposals I was told that they don't really need trails. They can go where they want. Go figure.

Ahhh the pain....
    new part of hawkenest from the P&D lot (the section west of the power lines) is all trampled... another friend I saw in the parking lot said they trampled the new stuff just finished in that same area.
    I can only guess they don't see holes in the trail as an issue. Put their a$$ on a hardtail and tell them to pedal over that crap.

Meatbomb
    Idiots.... Make ebikes look promising.

mtbr member
    Did a big ride out there a week ago yesterday on all of AW, Cliffwalk, Esplenade, and Octotillo. Never seen so many deep mtb tire ruts (presumably from the rain the weekend before), so I'm not sure bikers have much room to claim the high moral ground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    Did a big ride out there a week ago yesterday on all of AW, Cliffwalk, Esplenade, and Octotillo. Never seen so many deep mtb tire ruts (presumably from the rain the weekend before), so I'm not sure bikers have much room to claim the high moral ground.
    Interesting, I rode both Ocotillo and Sidewinder last Wed. I didn't notice much in the way of bike impacts at all. I did notice how poorly routed Ocotillo is and lots of incision from running water. Sidewinder is a bit better routed with more bench cut trail but there are long fall line sections without grade reversals. I didn't see any damage from horses but I crossed over on Ridgeback and didn't ride the trails out in the flats.

mtbr member
    When it dries the ruts get rode in and smoothed out by the bikers also...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    You are correct........99% of the man made damage, is from Mountain Bikes.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Prescott is getting soaked. I'm not sure anything is going to be rideable this weekend.

So... If you were planning to ride this weekend, after or between rain events, in the north Phoenix area, where would YOU go?.
    Veni vidi velo!

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Prescott is getting soaked. I'm not sure anything is going to be rideable this weekend.

So... If you were planning to ride this weekend, after or between rain events, in the north Phoenix area, where would YOU go?.
    PMP is almost always rideable, or Lake Pleasant (probably) are your options. Iíve never ridden Pleasant after a rain, but itís rocky and seems like it would drain well enough.
    West McDowells? Possibly some of it, but Iíd hold off and play nice.
    Sonoran, Browns, etc are gonna be no-go for a while.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Ahhh the pain....
    As of 8pm 2/14, most of the valley is < 0.4" and many spots less than that... PMP will be solid tomorrow, and unless another 0.25" falls everywhere, by midday tomorrow, all will be fine. 8pm, Browns gages are about 0.4", sonoran N and S is about 0.3", mcds are 0.3 to 0.4...
    Stuff further north like BCT is wetter...over an inch! no bueno there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hero dirt at Pima and Dynamite at noon. There are some puddles in the bottom whoops but easily avoided.

mtbr member
    Raybum nailed it. Rode PMP today from the Dreamy Draw trailhead. Couldn't tell it had even rained. First time riding there. More variety than I expected. Some of it quite challenging (for me). My only complaint was navigating the spider web of trails. Sometimes it felt like I spent more time looking at Trailforks than riding.
    Veni vidi velo!