Sonoran Desert Loop when wet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sonoran Desert Loop when wet?

So we're headed for Sedona on Thursday but due to the expected rain (we'll call OTE in route), I was thinking about stopping on the way and riding in the PHX area. I've never ridden there but was thinking about trying the Sonoran Desert Loop. I have places I'd rather go but don't want to go too far out of the way or go someplace that will beat down my Sedona virgins before we get there.

I see the North PHX/Carefree area has a 40% chance of rain with predicted totals of just 1/10th of an inch. My question is....what is the Sonoran Desert Loop like when wet? I don't want to be trashing the trails or our bikes. I'd prefer not to bother with Brown's Ranch but I'm guessing that holds up to rain pretty well as a fallback option?

TIA for your input!!
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Ahhh the pain....
    With the warm weather we've had the last several days, stuff is getting really dry. 0.1" to 0.2" aren't going to mess things up much at all.
    I've found that the stickier areas get ugly after about 0.25" assuming they are dry to begin with.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    So we're headed for Sedona on Thursday but due to the expected rain (we'll call OTE in route), I was thinking about stopping on the way and riding in the PHX area. I've never ridden there but was thinking about trying the Sonoran Desert Loop. I have places I'd rather go but don't want to go too far out of the way or go someplace that will beat down my Sedona virgins before we get there.

I see the North PHX/Carefree area has a 40% chance of rain with predicted totals of just 1/10th of an inch. My question is....what is the Sonoran Desert Loop like when wet? I don't want to be trashing the trails or our bikes. I'd prefer not to bother with Brown's Ranch but I'm guessing that holds up to rain pretty well as a fallback option?

TIA for your input!!
    Based on what Iím seeing, you should be good wherever, unless it really dumps Weds night or Thurs AM, which doesnít appear to the be the case.

You should think about hitting Hawes, in NE Mesa, to the east of PHX (about 25 mins east of the airport). Let me know if thatís an option, and I might be able to join you for a tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Based on what Iím seeing, you should be good wherever, unless it really dumps Weds night or Thurs AM, which doesnít appear to the be the case.

You should think about hitting Hawes, in NE Mesa, to the east of PHX (about 25 mins east of the airport). Let me know if thatís an option, and I might be able to join you for a tour.

Ideally, we'd keep on moving to Sedona to begin with. If we do stop, I'd prefer to stay as close to the 17 as possible so Hawes is out. I was just in town last month and we rode out that way with Transition Senior. Also, we'll have 8 riders and I have no idea what kind of shape at least 3 of them are in but thanks for the offer.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

I am Walt
    Ideally, we'd keep on moving to Sedona to begin with. If we do stop, I'd prefer to stay as close to the 17 as possible so Hawes is out. I was just in town last month and we rode out that way with Transition Senior. Also, we'll have 8 riders and I have no idea what kind of shape at least 3 of them are in but thanks for the offer.
    Got it...hope you guys have a great trip!

If you hit Sonoran, do North Sonoran, and do it CCW (Sidewinder->Ocotillo). That way, you avoid going up the biggest climb.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

TIA for your input!!
    My latest look at weather is Sunny and Dry for Thursday for Anthem (North Phx near southern end of BCT). Trails are dry now and will be dry then too. Only exception is Agua Fria river crossings for BCT could be flowing. Browns is the worst for rain however.
    If it does rain the one of the best places for rain is PMP (Phx Mtn Perserve) T100 area. That place is so rocky that riding it wet can't hurt it. South Mtn gets like that too.

That said I am not really sure what you are talking about for a Sonoran Desert Loop. There is "Phoenix Sonoran Perserve" in North Phx. Most of that does well, but the flat loops to the east of the Apache wash trailhead. Most of other trails do well in light rain, but if they are not great when drenched. Then again I don't see any rain forecast for the North Phx. Prescott yes, but Phx no.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    BTW.. if you want to check out some chunk Deem Hills is short, but challenging. Happy Valley Road just a west of I-17 a few miles. Not many overall miles, but lots of mid grade chunk and steep ups and downs. The east side if 17 is all pretty smooth.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    My latest look at weather is Sunny and Dry for Thursday for Anthem (North Phx near southern end of BCT). Trails are dry now and will be dry then too. Only exception is Agua Fria river crossings for BCT could be flowing. Browns is the worst for rain however.
    If it does rain the one of the best places for rain is PMP (Phx Mtn Perserve) T100 area. That place is so rocky that riding it wet can't hurt it. South Mtn gets like that too.

That said I am not really sure what you are talking about for a Sonoran Desert Loop. There is "Phoenix Sonoran Perserve" in North Phx. Most of that does well, but the flat loops to the east of the Apache wash trailhead. Most of other trails do well in light rain, but if they are not great when drenched. Then again I don't see any rain forecast for the North Phx. Prescott yes, but Phx no.
    Thanks, Sonoran Preserve is what I was talking about. Trying to keep it easy and mellow on day 1 after a 5-6 hour drive from San Diego. If it miraculously doesnít rain in Sedona, we usually do Chuckwagon on day 1.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer