Bloodied but Unbowed

SoMo Sunday: Water Fall Cherry Poppin' Video

Dunerinaz and I decided to pedal up National on Sunday. The plan was to go as far as we could then turn around and enjoy the descent. We got to the waterfall. I had been there maybe 3 times but had never descended the fall. Duner had never seen it before. He was determined to do it and he had his beautiful new Banshee Rune which was certainly up for the task.

I was eyeing the line on the left. Duner was scoping out the spine. After much discussion, he cleaned it very nicely!

I took a crack at it and it was really not that hard. I used the rear brake at a point when I had no need to do so. Using it actually made the ride down less smooth than if I had just left it alone, but, made it down without crashing, which was the goal.

Here's some video of an obstacle on the way up to the fall, and then the fall itself.

from DesertCrawler on Vimeo.

Footage is poor, a videographer I am not.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 05-09-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Big B's Trails
    Cool... Is that your helmet strap flapping in the wind? might wanna buckle that next time ... they usually work better that way
    I dig dirt!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred
    Cool... Is that your helmet strap flapping in the wind? might wanna buckle that next time ... they usually work better that way

No, not a helmet strap. Having worn helmets for over 35 years I do know they only work when secured to the head they are supposed to protect.

That's a strap from a GPS attached to my backpack that usually is tucked away but worked its way loose just in time for the waterfall segment.

"No Clue Crew"
    NICE WORK BARRY!!!............Drew

"No Clue Crew"
    CONGRATS ! Well done.

Let'er Buck
    Nice work and good meeting you out there.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimon
    Nice work and good meeting you out there.

Were you there at the fall with azbob? Either way, nice running into you as well.

We had a fun run back down the mountain too, although the legs were pretty tired and I was making some pretty comical errors. At least they managed to keep Steve amused and giggling.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 05-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.

RHRF!
    There's nothing like getting 2 Cherry-Pops in one session!

Well done Boys!!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler
    ...At least they kept managed to keep Steve amused and giggling.
    Steve was probably happy he didn't have to follow 'The El Guapo Line' for a change!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    Steve was probably happy he didn't have to follow 'The El Guapo Line' for a change!

There are a few of those on natty

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro

Funny you should say that...I showed him and tried a few of the EG lines. I also took the diving board on the way down. In truth, I forgot just how much of a drop that is and did not huck off of it but instead just...dropped off.

Really lucky I did not face plant. At least the instincts were right and just went with the drop. Didn't have the seat down but did manage to keep my weight balanced and stayed low with the bike. That is not something I would try to do the same way again on purpose, for sure.

mtbr member
    Funny you should say that...I showed him and tried a few of the EG lines. I also took the diving board on the way down. In truth, I forgot just how much of a drop that is and did not huck off of it but instead just...dropped off.

Really lucky I did not face plant. At least the instincts were right and just went with the drop. Didn't have the seat down but did manage to keep my weight balanced and stayed low with the bike. That is not something I would try to do the same way again on purpose, for sure.
    Watching you ride off that was one of those moments that left me laughing. Did you happen to hear the sound that came out of your mouth? LOL

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Watching you ride off that was one of those moments that left me laughing. Did you happen to hear the sound that came out of your mouth? LOL
    While I do not have an audible memory of it, I think I squealed, mostly to be funny.

I really had forgotten that it dropped off that much and that fast. It took me by surprise and by the time I realized it I was already committed. The squeak, scream or squeal was a conscious act, just didn't realize it would be quite as funny as it was. I may have it on video.

Glad to have provided some comic relief.

Let'er Buck
    Were you there at the fall with azbob? Either way, nice running into you as well.

We had a fun run back down the mountain too, although the legs were pretty tired and I was making some pretty comical errors. At least they managed to keep Steve amused and giggling.
    Yep that was me
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    While I do not have an audible memory of it, I think I squealed, mostly to be funny.

I really had forgotten that it dropped off that much and that fast. It took me by surprise and by the time I realized it I was already committed. The squeak, scream or squeal was a conscious act, just didn't realize it would be quite as funny as it was. I may have it on video.

Glad to have provided some comic relief.
    I had a great time on the ride yesterday aside from the laughs. The waterfall was conquered and no one got hurt. Success!

Members who have read this thread: 0