SoMo Death March- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

SoMo Death March

The coast to coast to coast ride made me turn to mush. I hurt all over. Sorry to the others about taking off ahead and not being social. Dan and I had to get back. I was only 2 hours late.

Here are a few pics. We saw a snake. So, to the others, did you all end up doing the whole meal deal or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    A few more pics. Sorry, no really good action shots.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    The coast to coast to coast ride made me turn to mush. I hurt all over. Sorry to the others about taking off ahead and not being social. Dan and I had to get back. I was only 2 hours late.

Here are a few pics. We saw a snake. So, to the others, did you all end up doing the whole meal deal or what?
    I JUST got back home off the mtn... the ride ended unfortunately with helicoptors and medical rescue. Aaron MyBike'sBroken took a head-first dive into the trail. We think he's going to be ok, but he's off at an emergency room now. I'm home to change right now and then off meet everyone (except Aaron ) for dinner.... Will fill in details later. What a Day!!!

Fragile - must be Italian
    Sorry to hear about the carnage. When this ride came across the RideAZ listserver a few days ago...I *really* wanted to come along. But since I'd already signed up for the Tour de Scottsdale, which was also today, I couldn't make it. Maybe next time. I am definitely in SoMo withdrawl.

On a side note -- I am completely shot from the TdeS ride today. I think I was anaerobic for the past 10 miles. I finished in the middle of the lead pack at 2 hr 39 min's, or 26.4 mph average (70.24 mi). Winning time was 2 hr 38 min's (just ahead of me -- the leader of the pack I was in). It hurt. I had no business hanging up front with those guys. I think I left my lungs on the climb up Shea.

Thx...Doug

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I JUST got back home off the mtn... the ride ended unfortunately with helicoptors and medical rescue. Aaron MyBike'sBroken took a head-first dive into the trail. We think he's going to be ok, but he's off at an emergency room now. I'm home to change right now and then off meet everyone (except Aaron ) for dinner.... Will fill in details later. What a Day!!!
    Oh man, that sucks. I hope he is ok. Aaron with the goatie?
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    So what happened and where?
    Ride more; post less...

Happy trails

this ride kicked my butt...

thanks to kathleen for organizing this suffer fest.the ride back up the road to buena vista was loooong.had my share of cramping on the way up.thought i'd never have a reason to pedal UP the summit road.glad i did it,i guess,just to know i can do it if the need arises again.
    thanks to everyone for the great ride!
    Aaron

Happy trails

the younger Aaron from tucson.

i got to that point behind everyone.it was from buena vista going back down to pima lot.
    it was just above the upper waterfall right were the water has erroded the dirt away from the rocks and left a BIG rut.looked like a big endo with him landing right of his head.destroyed the helmet,he was wearing pads,they saved his skin for sure.
    i'll let someone who was there add the details.the helicopter emt's and park ranger were
    there when i got the the spot.
    he seemed very alert.
    hope he's okay
    Aaron

Kathleen in AZ

SoMo adventure

The ride started around 8:30 or so. I think we had a headcount of 17! Large group of capable riders.. First pic is Scott and SuLing, both on NEW Turners!! Ride to Buena Vista was fun as always. We then rolled on continuing on National... we had many post-Buena Vista National virgins who got a good dose of the mtn today .

wrecking crew
    Yes, he took a massive digger. Thank god Dana (Michael's girl visiting from Cali) has EMT training and did a fantastic job of getting the situation under control and getting him comfortable yet immobilized. His helmet saved him big time. Almost every strut was cracked and broken. His armor saved his skin. She cleared his neck and spine and he had no broken extremities...but his throat/voice was in question and his chest hurt. We are still waiting to hear what exactly the extent of his injuries were. Kathleen took some pics of the rescue, she may post them up later.

Jeff, Scott A & DaDa took turns getting his bike off the mountain. It was a bit slow but they did it. By that point most of us were out of water and when we neared the ramadas we ran into Jeff (can't remember his screen name) who was not with our ride but saw us up on the mountain. He had come down the mtn then went and gotten 5 or 6 Gatorades and was riding back up to meet us! This group of people really take care of each other! Thank you so much Jeff!

Besides the unfortunate accident, the ride was awesome! The SixPack allowed me to do big drops and such that I had never done before. That bike is beyond words! I also had great coaching from Dale, Michael, Dana, Kathleen & Scott and pulled off some wickedly fun stuff! Also, thanks Michael for the armor you lent me! Everyone did really well today. Brutal? Yes...Fun as hell? ABSOLUTELY!!! And with the exception of Aaron's major ouch, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Take Care Aaron! Get better soon!
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    The ride started around 8:30 or so. I think we had a headcount of 17! Large group of capable riders.. First pic is Scott and SuLing, both on NEW Turners!! Ride to Buena Vista was fun as always. We then rolled on continuing on National... we had many post-Buena Vista National virgins who got a good dose of the mtn today .
    Continuing on... More of the trail below the towers then there is Epicrider Dale shooting out of the rock house one the hike-a-bike section west of Telegraph. We made it to the far side of National with no problems except a few flats (Sir McFlatsAlot Monkeybutt once again gets the honors of most flats of the day) then did the long grind up the hill past Telegraph and on to Buena Vista. Yea it hurt, but in a goooood way!!

Kathleen in AZ
    Continuing on... More of the trail below the towers then there is Epicrider Dale shooting out of the rock house one the hike-a-bike section west of Telegraph. We made it to the far side of National with no problems except a few flats (Sir McFlatsAlot Monkeybutt once again gets the honors of most flats of the day) then did the long grind up the hill past Telegraph and on to Buena Vista. Yea it hurt, but in a goooood way!!
    We were all pretty tuckered out but the tiredness really goes away once on the fun National DH towards Pima Canyon. Unfortunately, Aaron (from Tucson, posts as MyBike'sBroken and put on the recent race down at Fantasy Island) took a bad spill. No visible damage to his body except for blood out his nose but he was hurting quite a bit. Luckily, Dana who is visiting from Petaluma CA to see her honey Michael is a trained wilderness EMT and was able to assess the situation pretty quickly. We called 911 and in a very short time they arrived by helicopter and foot... here's some of the pic I got...

News from the hospital is that they are keeping Aaron for the night for more tests and observations. I will follow up tomorrow with news of his condition. Everyone send him happy healing thoughts please!

After theytook of rolling him up the trail to Buena Vista (his condition was not deemed an emergency so he didn't get a copter ride), got back to our cars around 5:30.... WHEW!!! A bunch of very hungry and tired mountain bikers ended the day at Aunt Chiladas for a well-deserved mexi-feast.

Thanks to all who came out for the SoMo sufferfest... I had a blast!! Sorry that Aaron got hurt, but I think he's probably going to be ok. Made for an exciting end to the long day...

-Kathleen

Kathleen in AZ

Aaron update

Aaron's brother who lives in Peoria has been in contact with Aaron's girlfriend in Tucson... Here is her note to us from late last night with an Aaron update:

Aaron's brother called me from the hospital. All he knew so far is that Aaron has two broken vertebrae and two broken ribs, but no damage to his spinal cord, thank goodness. He didn't know when they were going to let Aaron out of the hospital. Poor guy - feels like poopoo, didn't get a beer after the ride, and has to eat hospital food. :-p Thanks so much to everybody who helped him and getting his bike out. Great pics on MTBR!

Priscilla

When one of us mtn bikers falls and doesn't move, that's a sign... none of us want to be carted off the mountain and will do anything we can to limp back home. But sometimes it's best to bring in the pros. Again, many thanks to our friend Dana who was there by his side from the beginning and treated him with the caution that was needed and thanks to the quick response by the Phoenix Fire Dept. I guess they've had a lot of practice doing rescues on SoMo... they've gotten really good at it.

Best wishes to Aaron - he'll be off the bike for a while. Here are few pics of him on the ride...

wrecking crew
    Wow...broken ribs and vertabrae! Ouch! Poor guy...Thank god his spinal cord was not damaged. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery Aaron!
    Last edited by su.ling~; 10-16-2006 at 08:35 AM.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    best wishes for a speedy recovery to our friend (MyBack'sBroken) Aaron

Occidental Tourist
    rest up aaron. glad it didn't turn out any worse.

you should be receiving your injured reserve packet in the mail this week.
    Last edited by YuriB; 10-16-2006 at 09:39 PM.

CrazyEye
    Get well Aaron! I bet you’re glad you wear wearing a helmet, and more importantly, NOT WEARING LYCRA! Imagine the how embarrassing it would of been in spandex! If took a spill like that I would have dropped a deuce in my shorts...

mtbr member
    Heal Fast Aaron.
    b

mtbr member

Get well soon

Aaron, hang in and get well soon.

I echo Dirdir's thoughts on having to ride on ahead....I did make it home "on-time." I am no longer a Past Telegraph-West-Side-National-Virgin! But as soon as I stopped following Papa John's line, I tool three dives to the dirt, ouch. Cheers, Dan

Ouch, I am hot!
    Dan and I were both wasted at the end of the ride. My left quad was cramping bad. I have decided that the section between BV and Telegraph is my favorite.

Papa John was right about the steep loose hills on the west side. Man, that last descent is the bomb. Very loose and very steep. At the bottom it was so isolated I felt like we were on the moon.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member

Everyone take note...

Sorry to hear about the vertebrae and the ribs - ouch.

Even though Aaron is having to pay a big price, this whole situation is an invaluable lesson to us all. First of all, Aaron did the right thing by staying on the ground and not trying to get up or move around after his crash, he definitely saved himself a much worse injury by staying put. The rest of us should keep this is mind, if we should ever find ourselves lying on the ground after a bad crash and have the feeling that we might be badly hurt... we probably are. Stay on the ground until you can get help, and NEVER feel bad about asking your friends or total strangers to help you. Don't feel shy about telling people you are hurt and how much pain you are in... Aaron didn't display many outward signs of pain, which may have led us to believe he was not very badly hurt, but remember, if a person falls hard enough to shattered a helmet, that person sustained a huge impact and may not be feeling pain due to adrenaline or shock, NEVER let them stand or move around until they can checked by a qualified person, and if in doubt, keep them comfortable but immobile.

All of us deserve a pat on the back for staying calm, and thus keeping Aaron calm... The humor was good too, keep the mood light so the patient doesn't panic.

With all the very fun, yet dangerous, situations we put ourselves in when we go riding, it would be a good idea for more people to take some advanced first aid training. I recommend the NOLS wildness program, a weekend course can teach you all you need to dramatically impact a life threatening situation. Always remember that your cell phone is your biggest first aid tool and make sure someone on the ride has one that is in good working order and fully charged. If you are going outside cell coverage make sure someone knows where you are and what time you should be coming back.

Aaron is in good hands and have a feeling we'll see him on two wheels very soon!

Get Well soon Aaron.

Kathleen in AZ
    Very well said, Dana. Thanks for posting and thanks for helping us sunburnt Arizonans out of a hot situation.

my knees hurt
    Hope you have a quick recovery Aaron.....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

wrecking crew
    Dana

Yes, ditto on what DG said. We were lucky to have you with us! All food for thought...
    I think your calm direction & EMT experience helped all of us to remain calm in this situation and operate with full senses. Everyone worked well together in getting him as comfortable as possible.

Hope to see you again on your next visit.

su ling
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery Aaron!

That was one sweet ride! I love the singletrack past the upper parking lot. IMO, it would run with some of the best in PHX that I've been on.

Thanks to all who helped changing my multi-flats and showed up for the epic to make it a great time. I raised the bar for flats by introducing the double pinch flat Did I tell anyone I'm sick of flats? I was a little worried the 1" gash in my tire was going to start expanding as we rode and I was going to be mountain walking the rest of the way back

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery Aaron!

That was one sweet ride! I love the singletrack past the upper parking lot. IMO, it would run with some of the best in PHX that I've been on.

Thanks to all who helped changing my multi-flats and showed up for the epic to make it a great time. I raised the bar for flats by introducing the double pinch flat Did I tell anyone I'm sick of flats? I was a little worried the 1" gash in my tire was going to start expanding as we rode and I was going to be mountain walking the rest of the way back
    Damn Jeff, can you even remember your last flat free ride at this point?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    Damn Jeff, can you even remember your last flat free ride at this point?
    Yes, I lubed my cables last week and went for a ride. I rode up to the corner, rode back to the drive and got the mail

Quote Originally Posted by danabeck
    Always remember that your cell phone is your SECOND biggest first aid tool and make sure someone on the ride has one that is in good working order and fully charged. WHEN you are going outside cell coverage make sure someone knows where you are and what time you should be coming back.
    Thought the emphasis on this one needed to be redirected.

Take a WFR course. It's really, really cool and useful; and a helluva lota fun. Don't be a Ralston.

Kathleen in AZ

Aaron Update - Monday night

Latest news from Aaron's brother is that Aaron did "break his neck" in addition to his back and ribs.... Yup, today they found that at least one of his neck vertabrae is fractured, darn it. He's now fitted with a head brace anchored to his chest and tonight they are going to try to sit him up for the first time so that he can have some sort of scan to look for further neck damage. This is serious, folks. They are taking no phone calls and letting no one in to see him but family and Priscilla thanks to Eric who convinced the hospital staff that she is "close enough to family" to see him.

Eric is going to be sure to pass all of our get-well wishes on to Aaron tonight... I told him that RideAZ and MTBR are all a-flutter with discussion and concern. Best thoughts go to Aaron's family and Priscilla too! An accident like this is hard not only on the injured but also the caregivers.

mtbr member
    While I hope to make one of these rides with the group one day..., I must say by reading the details of the ride, the quick thinking and professional care Aaron received on the trail, the concern and genuine thoughtfulness you all have for a fellow rider is very heart warming. Good job to all of you.
    Best of luck to Aaron and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Latest news from Aaron's brother is that Aaron did "break his neck" in addition to his back and ribs....
    Yowzah....reminder to all of us to be careful out there. Broke my clavicle endoing ten years ago, broke a helmet (and lost skin) earlier this year.

Food for thought.

Best of all kharma Aaron's way.

I bike, I brew

Good job!

Latest news from Aaron's brother ....[/FONT]
    Thanks for keeping the line of informaiton open - those of us down here in Tucson have to strain extra hard to get that karma up I-10...

Aaron - there's a six-er of home brew with your name on it -

Prayers for a speedy return to two-wheels.

Hank

wrecking crew
    Latest news from Aaron's brother is that Aaron did "break his neck" in addition to his back and ribs.... Yup, today they found that at least one of his neck vertabrae is fractured, darn it. He's now fitted with a head brace anchored to his chest and tonight they are going to try to sit him up for the first time so that he can have some sort of scan to look for further neck damage. This is serious, folks. They are taking no phone calls and letting no one in to see him but family and Priscilla thanks to Eric who convinced the hospital staff that she is "close enough to family" to see him.

Eric is going to be sure to pass all of our get-well wishes on to Aaron tonight... I told him that RideAZ and MTBR are all a-flutter with discussion and concern. Best thoughts go to Aaron's family and Priscilla too! An accident like this is hard not only on the injured but also the caregivers.
    Oh I was hoping they wouldn't find anything else...That is not good! The MX world we have seen at least 3-4 people break their necks from head injuries and while it turns out okay in the end, it is still not something one should ever go through. Poor guy. Jeff and I wish him the best on his road to recovery. Aaron, His family & Priscilla all deserve our thoughts this evening and in the days to come.
    ~~~

Just another half mile...

A few more pics.....

Aaron
    Durtgurl
    ScottA chasing down Kent
    Durtgurl on the catwalk
    National trail pass Telegraph JRA

I am Walt

Best wishes, Aaron!

I was unable to make the ride and don't know Aaron, though I know most of the riders on the ride. I send my thoughts and prayers to Aaron as he recovers from the crash. I'm sure he'll be back in due time and I'll look forward to riding with him! Maybe Lost Dog/Sunrise (since I can't post without referencing that)...

Also, props to all those on the ride who handled the situation.

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

more....

King McFlatsalot Monkeybutt double flat
    ScottA on the Waterfall
    Epicrider on the waterfall

More pics here:
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=88

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxer
    While I hope to make one of these rides with the group one day..., I must say by reading the details of the ride, the quick thinking and professional care Aaron received on the trail, the concern and genuine thoughtfulness you all have for a fellow rider is very heart warming. Good job to all of you.
    Best of luck to Aaron and hoping for a speedy recovery.
    As I was telling Su Ling today, these wonderful friends that I hang with are crazy fun AND responsible. It's a good mix. Surround yourself by these kind of folks and the benefits come back in more ways that you can imagine.

It rains here. :(
    Although I don't know Aaron, it is a crash like this that worries me the most. My fear of a crash like this is probably why I rarely ride alone any more and don't tackle anything even moderately technical when I'm by myself. Being a father and supporting husband, a tragedy like this truely spooks me.

My prayers are with you and your family tonight.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Although I don't know Aaron, it is a crash like this that worries me the most. My fear of a crash like this is probably why I rarely ride alone any more and don't tackle anything even moderately technical when I'm by myself. Being a father and supporting husband, a tragedy like this truely spooks me.

My prayers are with you and your family tonight.
    I hear that one. I told my wife what happened and she freaked. I think, for more than 4 years now, she had no idea what really goes on out there. Non-bikers really have no clue. I was just very surprised by her reaction. I think she thought we roll along, similar to a bike path and such, happily twiddling our fingers. I don't think she wants me to ride anymore.

Anyway, enough about me. I am not going to stop riding.

Thanks to the group for handling this like solid people. I am going to send some positive energy to Aaron now.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Get well soon....

So sorry to hear Aaron was injured. He's a great rider, a great club member and a great friend. Thank goodness he was with friends while injured. Get well soon from the Tucson ex-pats.

Paul and Valeri Pineo

igoslo
    Sorry to hear that it is a broken neck, I'll be keeping Aaron in my thoughts. It's nice to know how well the group responded, but it comes as no surprise.

I am Doctor Remulak
    I hope that Aaron has a speedy recovery.

Sounds like the group did a great job tending to Aaron after the wreck. It makes me happy to know that we have great people to ride with here in AZ.

Just another FOCer
    Aaron,

I just want to wish you a full recovery. Sounds like you keep excellent company.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your return to mountain biking down the road.

Take care,

Winston
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

mad aussie

Just came by lurking here and.....

I came by the board for one of my occasional visits and saw what happened to Aaron. I knew him for his posts on rideaz and I believe I met him a couple of times. Sorry to hear about his injuries and hope he makes a fast recovery to get out on the trails. Always a reminder of how we take our good health for granted and cycling can be a dangerous sport.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whoa, sorry to hear about the crash. Here's to wishing Aaron a fast and safe recovery. Hopefully nothing else crops up in the next few days and his bones can start to mend. Heal fast Aaron!

and a big THANK YOU to everyone that was on the trail that day and helped out.

mtbr member
    Aaron,

Obviously you won't read this for a while, but I'm thinking of you. It sounds like you had some capable people around you when you went down. I'm not only thinking of you, but feeling for you. I broke my neck just under a year ago in a similar crash (endo over bars, head into dirt), and the scene from the above pictures looks all to familar.

Keep your head up (no problem there, the brace will do it for you) and be positive. It will be a long, slow recovery, but in the end things will be OK. I remember when I got back from the hospital, it was great to read the nice things from mtbr people wishing me good thoughts and thinking of me. It really, really helped my outlook...

Keep us posted on your recovery. You'll be back on the bike and stronger then before, at least mentally!

Good luck and you can do it, trust me! Here'a a thumbs up from me...

Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

wrecking crew
    Julee,

Hearing about your injuries here then seeing the post on the Turner Board with the pics of your return to riding is so inspiring! You rock Julee!!! You pulled through and in grand fashion! see her pics here: The JOD
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Big time prayers for ya bud! Heal up quickly, and take it easy. We are hoping for the best for ya!

I am Walt
    The thought occurs to me, is Aaron covered by insurance, or is he going to need some fundraising? That care ain't cheap...
    Ride more; post less...

CrazyEye

Good Call Walt! Tour De Fat?

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    The thought occurs to me, is Aaron covered by insurance, or is he going to need some fundraising? That care ain't cheap...
    Good call Walt. I emailed the MBAA about setting up a donation both at the Tour De Fat on Saturday. Durtgirl seems to have contact with the family. Maybe print some pictures of the rescue? I'll post more when I hear back from them. Here's the Email Address if anyone else wants to email then in support of the idea.

genmbaa@earthlink.net

mtbr member

I know that spot very well

I crashed right there the previous Saturday. Same deal, skankin' down the trail on my new bike, having the best ride ever, when I got my front tire stuck in that rut. Landed on my head, broke my helmet, tore some rib cartilage and jacked up the muscles in my back.

What is scary now for me is that I was by myself. After laying there for about five minutes, I got up, walked down the waterfall (nothing new there) and finished the ride.

Thanks to the folks who took care of Aaron on the ride. Hope you heal up really soon.

Stu

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Walla
    I crashed right there the previous Saturday. Same deal, skankin' down the trail on my new bike, having the best ride ever, when I got my front tire stuck in that rut. Landed on my head, broke my helmet, tore some rib cartilage and jacked up the muscles in my back.

What is scary now for me is that I was by myself. After laying there for about five minutes, I got up, walked down the waterfall (nothing new there) and finished the ride.

Thanks to the folks who took care of Aaron on the ride. Hope you heal up really soon.

Stu
    Were you on a Santa Cruz? I was on a Silver Yeti, I asked you a couple of times if you were ok as I passed you walking... you assured me you were, I didn't believe you... Glad to hear you are ok. I thought of that as I read this post.

Good luck in your recovery Aaron, I hope you find yourself riding again very soon...

Fragile - must be Italian

Such a bummer

Jeez...it seems like every time I check the MTBR forums or RideAZ list serve there is more bad news about Aaron. First the crash...then the back/ribs...then the neck. It really pains me to see a MTB brother down like this.

Good luck Aaron on your fast recovery. We've met a number of times at various events in AZ (Old Pueblo, Tour of the White Mtns, and a few others) and you're a really great guy. It sucks when things like this happen to good people.

Thx...Doug

wrecking crew

Good News!

Actually we finally have some good news about Aaron!

After further MRI scans, it was found the vertabrae in his back were fractured and not broken. He was fitted with a neck & back brace a day or so ago and last night his physical therapy consisted of standing up. He couldn't take any steps, but that should happen today. He can lift and move his arms now, something he couldn't do before. They are thinking he should be able to go home tomorrow.

His girlfriend Priscilla sends her thanks for "All your prayers, positive thoughts and good karma being sent Aaron's way".
    ~~~

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Actually we finally have some good news about Aaron!

After further MRI scans, it was found the vertabrae in his back were fractured and not broken. He was fitted with a neck & back brace a day or so ago and last night his physical therapy consisted of standing up. He couldn't take any steps, but that should happen today. He can lift and move his arms now, something he couldn't do before. They are thinking he should be able to go home tomorrow.

His girlfriend Priscilla sends her thanks for "All your prayers, positive thoughts and good karma being sent Aaron's way".

This is excellent news! Glad to hear it.

Happy trails

wiped out in that place last year...

the morning after the big rain created that big rut.rode over the rock like usual and next thing i know i'm on my head and shoulder sliding along the dirt.i'm sure a few others have had a like experience right there.
    aaron was lucky to have people around to help when he needed it the most!
    i'll always think about that on my future rides at somo.
    heal up fast !!!!
    good luck from
    the other aaron.
    Aaron

Maui Grown
    Glad to hear Aaron's making progress and going home soon.

Where exactly did he crash? Was it the Upper Waterfall?

mtbr member
    As an earlier poster noted our thoughts are working their way up I-10 from Tucson for Aaron's speedy recovery. Reading the running commentary here certainly leads one to think about that dangers involved in the sport. Fortunately for Aaron had some good friends along to help out when he needed them.

On another subject along about post number 31 I noted someone in the group is riding a Nomad. I have been considering the purchase of same and would like to compare notes. Can someone drop me the screen name/contact info for the rider?

"Yabut"

Smile I'm Alive!!! I'm Alive!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for all the words of encouragement. And thanks to everyone who helped me out on Sunday. My brother Eric (and I) would also like to thank Kathleen (Durtgurl) for keeping the line of communication open on Sunday, and the last few days as well. Here is a quick update on my condition. First of all, typing is a little difficult. But that's nothing new. hahaha. They let me out of the hospital today!!!!! And I am now back in Tucson. So that is good. My list of broken bones is somewhat lengthy. In my back, vertabrae T3, T4, T5 have compression fractures. My two top ribs are both broken. They say these are very hard to break. (That's always a good thing to hear). And the worst one is in my neck C1. Which is usually fatal if it breaks. I guess I can say I'm lucky with that one. More than one nurse was suprised to hear I was walking out of the hospital today. I guess mt. biking is good for something afterall!! OK, this is about as long as I can type right now. Thanks again everyone, and I will see you all soon.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    My list of broken bones is somewhat lengthy. In my back, vertabrae T3, T4, T5 have compression fractures. My two top ribs are both broken. They say these are very hard to break. (That's always a good thing to hear). And the worst one is in my neck C1. Which is usually fatal if it breaks. I guess I can say I'm lucky with that one.
    Great news Aaron! Pretty scary info on the C1 break, now get to work healing up.

Good News Aaron!!! Wow, that was a close call on C1..scary! Maybe you need to learn how to tuck and roll.......

mr. wonderful
    i'm really happy to hear you are out and on the path to recovery. i landed on my head 4 years ago and broke my T6. i think i'm about a 1/4 shorter because of it

good luck with healing up and don't let this stop you or slow you down. i hope to ride with you again soon

richard

mtbr member
    Good to hear you're up and moving Aaron. Heal fast!

wrecking crew

Alive & Kicking!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for all the words of encouragement. And thanks to everyone who helped me out on Sunday. My brother Eric (and I) would also like to thank Kathleen (Durtgurl) for keeping the line of communication open on Sunday, and the last few days as well. Here is a quick update on my condition. First of all, typing is a little difficult. But that's nothing new. hahaha. They let me out of the hospital today!!!!! And I am now back in Tucson. So that is good. My list of broken bones is somewhat lengthy. In my back, vertabrae T3, T4, T5 have compression fractures. My two top ribs are both broken. They say these are very hard to break. (That's always a good thing to hear). And the worst one is in my neck C1. Which is usually fatal if it breaks. I guess I can say I'm lucky with that one. More than one nurse was suprised to hear I was walking out of the hospital today. I guess mt. biking is good for something afterall!! OK, this is about as long as I can type right now. Thanks again everyone, and I will see you all soon.
    WOOHOOO!!!! Guido!!! You're home!!! Don't scare us like that anymore! But you know we all love you! Take care of yourself and heal up quick! Your girl Priscilla has been mighty worried about her sweetie-pie. And we have been too.

Our wishes are for a super-speedy recovery! Thank god you were one of the lucky ones!

hugs!

su ling
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    You're HOME!!!!!! This is wonderful news.

How ironic that you so recently chose MyBike'sBroken as your MTBR screen name. Perhaps the moderators can change it to MyBody'sBroken because your bike is just fine resting in my garage. I gave it the once-over and it fared much better than you on SoMo. I will bring it on down along with the famous helmet and your other gear on my next Tucson visit - probably in a few weeks for some Meanie Greanie action.

Rest up and don't give Priscilla too hard of a time
    K

What matter where?
    aaron, god speed the recovery. hope to ride with you again someday.

mtbr member

Yep, that was me.

Here it is two weeks later, and I'm still not 100%. I went to the doctor and they did xrays but didn't find anything broken. My back muscles kind of spasm now and then, and my right hand is a little numb at times. Plus my ribs on my right side are sore. My helmet was busted, but got a new one from Performance with a 30% crash replacement discount.

After reading about Aaron's ordeal, I probably should have not gotten up. I laid there for about five minutes, kind of taking stock of myself, before i did get up. It hurt to take deep breaths, and my knee was scraped up, but other than that I felt OK.

On my wife's orders, I am not allowed to ride Mormon/National by myself.

I'm glad to hear Aaron's back home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear the good news Aaron! Rest up, heal up, and we hope to see you back on the trail in no time!

-Kevin

mtbr member

and I will see you all soon.

Great to hear you are home. I don't know how to descibe coming around that corner. I heard you before I saw you and knew something was wrong. In my completely bonked state I managed to stay calm and asess the situation until I knew you were in great hands (Dana et al.) then the bottom fell out and I could barely stand and felt like yacking on the side of the trail.

maybe because I feel on my head twice this past year, maybe because this was the second hopefully last time I see a helicopter on SoMo.

regaurdless, I'm so happy to hear that your on the road to recovery. I can't wait until we can ride together again.
    b

Tdub

Rehab is key

Hey Aaron, glad to hear you are at least walking, and out of the hospital. I was much appreciative of your efforts to put the Bunny Banzai race together, and was the solo rider from the PHX area. Anyhow, I know too well how it's going to work recovering from a severe injury and let me just say that you've got to rehab early and often....do the stuff that hurts. For now, I'm sure they'll give you the schedule as to when it's safe to go into any range of motion, and you're likely a ways from it....but the first they give you the green light, go at it hard. It will make a huge difference on how you feel once you are back on the bike, and doing other things too. Best of luck for the speedy recovery and I'll hope to cross paths with you in the future again on your next bike project.
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

mtbr member
    Sounds like, considering your broken parts, you're doing terriffic. That's great news. I'm guessing you're doing a lot of being very still. You haven't mentioned a halo, so I assume you aren't wearing one...whew! How are they imobilizing your neck? You're probably be watching tons of DVDs in the near future. I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. It will probably be long and slow, but don't loose hope, the body does a great job of healing, given time! Hang in there.

Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

"Yabut"

Good job! Crash Test Dummy Update

Hey Guys!

Just a quickie update on my condition. First of all, I want to thank everyone for your kind words and thoughts. You are all THE BEST! With this much positive energy, I'll be fixed in no time.

I am up and walking quite a bit. And that's about all I have been doing for the past couple weeks. Every day is just a little bit better than the last, and I can tell I am getting stronger. I'll be heading in for x-rays next week, so hopefully that will bring some good news. Today is really the first day I have been to my own house. I have been staying at my girlfriends place. My girlfriend Priscilla has been awesome. I really don't know what I would have done without her.

I would take a photo of myself with this fantastic piece of hardware around my neck, but my camera is now covered in a sticky blob of dried applesauce. It was in my backpack during the crash. And I guess those little plastic covered containers of applesauce aren't very durable.

OK, happy Halloween everyone. See ya soon!

~Aaron~

Happy trails

glad to hear you are doing good.

i'm sure quit a few of us have been wondering how things are going for you.
    great support at home will help speed your recovery for sure!
    Aaron

wrecking crew
    Hey Guys!

Just a quickie update on my condition. First of all, I want to thank everyone for your kind words and thoughts. You are all THE BEST! With this much positive energy, I'll be fixed in no time.

I am up and walking quite a bit. And that's about all I have been doing for the past couple weeks. Every day is just a little bit better than the last, and I can tell I am getting stronger. I'll be heading in for x-rays next week, so hopefully that will bring some good news. Today is really the first day I have been to my own house. I have been staying at my girlfriends place. My girlfriend Priscilla has been awesome. I really don't know what I would have done without her.

I would take a photo of myself with this fantastic piece of hardware around my neck, but my camera is now covered in a sticky blob of dried applesauce. It was in my backpack during the crash. And I guess those little plastic covered containers of applesauce aren't very durable.

OK, happy Halloween everyone. See ya soon!

~Aaron~
    GUIDO!!! So nice to hear from you! Glad you are getting stronger and that the healing process is proceeding as planned. Before you know it, you'll be doing all the things you were doing before the digger. Can't wait for when you can ride again!

The boys that took the bike off the mountain were hilarious and you would have laughed a bit I think. They all took turns and had their own way of bringing her home. And no, they didn't drop her or anything. Jeff and Scott adopted the ol' "gankin' from the hood method" of riding with it on the side until the trail narrowed. Will (6' 5" or so guy) could almost straddle his and your bike and ride them down together. And at one point he was carrying one bike on his back and riding the other! Crazy...We were down in no time (thank god it was mostly downhill!) And little skully survived too!

We are all relieved that you are going to be fine. We were really worried about you. Did they cut off your elbow guards? I couldn't removed them because the elastic was tight and I didn't want to put unnecessary pressure anywhere on your body. Did you get everything back? We had gear all over the place and I lost track of what was yours and what was someone else's.

Looking forward to your Back to Riding Now that my Body's Not Broken Homecoming Ride. Keep us up to date, Guiiiido!

Take care! Heal up quickly!

su ling
    ~~~

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    GUIDO!!! So nice to hear from you! Glad you are getting stronger and that the healing process is proceeding as planned. Before you know it, you'll be doing all the things you were doing before the digger. Can't wait for when you can ride again!

The boys that took the bike off the mountain were hilarious and you would have laughed a bit I think. They all took turns and had their own way of bringing her home. And no, they didn't drop her or anything. Jeff and Scott adopted the ol' "gankin' from the hood method" of riding with it on the side until the trail narrowed. Will (6' 5" or so guy) could almost straddle his and your bike and ride them down together. And at one point he was carrying one bike on his back and riding the other! Crazy...We were down in no time (thank god it was mostly downhill!) And little skully survived too!

We are all relieved that you are going to be fine. We were really worried about you. Did they cut off your elbow guards? I couldn't removed them because the elastic was tight and I didn't want to put unnecessary pressure anywhere on your body. Did you get everything back? We had gear all over the place and I lost track of what was yours and what was someone else's.

Looking forward to your Back to Riding Now that my Body's Not Broken Homecoming Ride. Keep us up to date, Guiiiido!

Take care! Heal up quickly!

su ling

I'm pretty sure I got all my junk. I went through it all today, and the only "loss" is my digital camera. I guess being soaked in applesauce for two weeks doesn't make for good picture taking. As far as the elbow guards, they just slid them off at some point. I don't remember when though. After I got to the hospital, and into ICU, I was on all kinds of "feel good" drugs.

I heard about my bikes trip off the mountain. That's pretty funny. It looks great! Thanks guys for bringing it home for me.

I only wish the weather wasn't so damn nice!! This just sucks wasting all these fine temperatures! Oh well.......

Have fun with the new RFX's!!!

~Aaron~

my knees hurt
    Glad to hear you are up and about....I wish you a speedy recovery...
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm pretty sure I got all my junk. I went through it all today, and the only "loss" is my digital camera. I guess being soaked in applesauce for two weeks doesn't make for good picture taking. As far as the elbow guards, they just slid them off at some point. I don't remember when though. After I got to the hospital, and into ICU, I was on all kinds of "feel good" drugs.

I heard about my bikes trip off the mountain. That's pretty funny. It looks great! Thanks guys for bringing it home for me.

I only wish the weather wasn't so damn nice!! This just sucks wasting all these fine temperatures! Oh well.......

Have fun with the new RFX's!!!

~Aaron~
    I am so happy to hear you are up and about! I can't believe I did a "check" of your camelback at my house later that night and didn't see the applesauced camera!!! Sorry Aaron - I probably could have saved it if I had done a better look in there. I felt sort of like I was invading your privacy but didn't want your bladder to rot if you had some sugary substance in there... Should have checked more of the compartments!! Well, consider it to be a good excuse for some on-line research (I'm sure you have lots of time for that right now!!) www.dpreview.com is an awesome site for checking out cameras! Take care and keep healing.
    Kathleen

Members who have read this thread: 0