UBER Addict

SoMo cut me...SoMo cut me real bad...

This is actually a request for suggestions on body armor.

So I know what you're probably thinking, "He must have been bombing down National, or something equally gnarly!"...well...no...not exactly. I was bombing, but not National, or even Mormon, but Desert Classic. Yes, yes...I admit it, I was sent to Urgent Care by Desert Classic.

Here's how it went down:

We made it to the far Heli-pad up DC, hung out for a bit and began our descent back down. Right at that first section along the side of the mountain at the far Heli-pad, I decided to hit a little rock drop that was off the trail just a bit. Rather then pull up, I figured I would be able to roll the drop, no such luck, my front wheel dropped down, fork compressed, and I went flying. Scrapped up my right leg and right arm pretty bad. Two stitches on the arm and 4 hours at Urgent Care has convinced me I need to finally buy body armor.

So, what kind should I get?

I see people carrying what looks to me like the same brand quite a bit. They are gray, that's about all I can tell you, I honestly don't know what kind they are. I think DurtGurl might have a set, good to see you yesterday Kathleen, that was before I was a bloody mess of course!

Any recommendations are fully appreciated.

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=shin+guards

And I think CBO has Fox 911 elbow guards on sale for like $15/pr.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    RaceFace just came out with some new light weight stuff. Looks cool. Cactus carries them if you want to try them on.

UBER Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=shin+guards

And I think CBO has Fox 911 elbow guards on sale for like $15/pr.
    Thanks, but what exactly is CBO?

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    The gray ones u see are raceface, they make elbow forearm ones, and knee shinn ones.
    I also like the Evo knee and elbow pads dont seem to get my shin ever but knees and elbow get it all the time. I sugest a core saver if u ride the gnar though.. would have prevented a few of my worse pains! But I owen the gray Raceface onse and they work great as do 661 and Rock Garden. Check Cactus bikes on 48th and Elliot they have them and u can try and buy them from them!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Kathleen in AZ
    CBO = Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

I like Dainese 3X leg and arm pads - they are articulate at teh knee and elbow bend and don't rub raw spots. The arm pads do have too-long straps that I had to shorten, but otherwise they are awesome. I wear med in both.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...eyword=dainese

Kathleen in AZ
    And good to see you too out there on the trail! Sorry about your crash n stitches. Ouch.

mtbr member
    two stitches?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I used to not wear armor and have the cuts and scars to prove it! Incidentally most of my worst crashes were not on places like National, Geronimo, Holbert, Sunrise, Wasabi, etc - but lame little XC like trails up here in Preskit. Sorry about your crash, heal quick and hope to see you on the trails soon. 661 Kyle Strait knee guards have saved me a few times!

UBER Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    two stitches?
    Yes, I know it's practically nothing, I laugh at it too. But it's more than the scraps and minor abrasions I have been getting, and enough to convince me to get armor. It was more of the experience as a whole that was the real bummer. Having to cut short an awesome ride on a beautifully cool day, spending 4 hours in urgent care, no riding for a couple weeks now, and it all could have been avoided had I not been so damn stubborn about getting body armor!

lurker extraordinaire
    The sixsixone Kyle Strait knee guards are comfortable to be worn at all times, albeit a little warm this time of year. My Fox Launch elbow/forearm guards have lasted me 2 years now, riding 4 times per week and using them almost every ride (typically only for the DH portion of the rides). I've tried several knee guards and like the Kyle Strait's the best, but I have heard the EVO's are pretty nice if you don't mind the price. As far as elbows, given how long those Fox's have lasted me, I can't see myself buying anything else when these finally do need replacing.

AKA shitbird
    Just a suggestion, carry superglue. Rather than spending hours in urgent care (I know it sucks, I've had 4 trips there totalling 25 or so stitches). If you get cut and it's not terribly bad just clean it out and glue it shut. Saves mucho time and money, AND will allow you to ride again in a matter of minutes assuming that the cut isn't someplace that moves alot like a knee.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    eabos is right on. Dermabond (liquid stitches) is basically a flexible super glue. I'd be sure to get it REAL clean before you glue some/all of it shut.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Dermabond after liquid bandaid and alcohol prep wipe is a great sug cramey. Everyone caring a first aid kit - I hope. I check mine every month. Otherwise Pima cyn road is a great trail. Bring plenty of water.
    Sorry honey, not tonight. I'm riding my bike early in the morning!

mtbr member
    I have the Kyle Strait knee guards and they are comfortable, but they collect sweat like crazy.

Members who have read this thread: 0