SoMo Bike Patrol- Mtbr.com
    pedaller

SoMo Bike Patrol

Saturday AM around 9:30-ish, a buddy and I were riding up Javelina just west of the water tank and saw a couple riders slowly approaching. We stopped to let them pass JUST BECAUSE and as they came up to us, we noticed they were wearing "Bike Patrol" shirts. As we met, the first guy says "You didn't have to yield for us" in that kind of "You DO realized that..." tone...

I said "I know. Have a great ride."

After they went by we proceeded on our way and I thought: "There are A LOT of other trails out here with A LOT more users that these guys could be 'educating' regarding trail etiquette". Then I thought maybe they just wanted to ride down Javelina!

Anyone else see these guys out there?
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Anyone else see these guys out there?
    I saw them leave from the parking lot before I saw you. Some other guy and the bike patrol guys were chatting, then the bike patrol guys rode off, leaving the other guy in regular clothes to comment... "This is their first day on South Mountain, we finally got them out here." I did not know what to say, so I think I mumbled "Hmmm, interesting."

Dave

Bike Patrol

Yeah I saw them too as I was with Chad standing at the gate of PC road. After they left the plain clothes man said "It's their first day out here" and I said "OK don't worry we'll go easy on them". Then he said "their out here just to watch"

I wonder if they have any say in what goes on out there. I mean if they see some bikers riding "off trail" will they speak up and say something, will they issue a ticket, what is their ROLL. I would say be on the look out for red shirted bikers ridding slow with a clipboard...they might see you do something wrong and hold you accountable. Wouldn't that be nice.

During our ride Sat I saw 5 or 6 empty packages of Gu out on DC. Please people stuff these empty packages back into your camelback or shirt pocket, don't throw them on the ground. I have never seen a hiker use them, we might get a bad rep. And if you do see something that isn't natural, (dirt, stones, brush) pick it up. Last night on a SMC niteride I found a 1/2 carret diamond valued at 5K. Wheeee just paid for my new bike. Just kiddng it looks like a glass stone.

I also wish that the dog walkers wouldn't leave thier pets poop in a plastic bag on the side of the trail. If you're not going to "pack it out" then don't bother putting it in a plastic bag that won't de-grade over time. What would you call that...a poop time capsule... take it with you after all it wouldn't be there if you and the mut wheren't there in the 1st place.

It rains here. :(
    I saw a couple of them on DC last Saturday as well.
    07 GF Rig

Ridin' Dirty
    What color shirts were they?

I was on DC, Javelina, and Beverly last week and I don't remember seeing anyone out of the ordinary.
    Maybe I'll run into them (literally) this weekend.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

sixsixtysix
    Oh Boy! It Begins!!

Did they happen to have a radar gun?

Wonder if they'll be patrolling the north face trails (Geronimo, 24th, Holbert)? Actually I would like to see someone ride any of those trails with a clipboard

I am curious as to their roll also. I have noticed an increased presence of rangers up hiking the mountain, and one of the local builders of Geronimo had them come up on him when he was working on the trail. The rangers were fine with everything going on with that trail "as long as it remained on the established trail and hiker friendly".

I think education is the key for these guys. Like informing people riding without a helmet that its not exactly a wise decision. Also, will the be patrolling the lookout road for roadies? After the incident 2 weekends ago I had with a roadie ( I basically scraped him off the pavement after he almost clipped a car at 40+mph and did a triple endo with his bike attached) I would hope that as much enforcement is put on them as on the mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Bike Patrol

Yes, the Bike Patrol is now up and running. I am the coordinator of the program so if you have issues, please PM me so I can deal with them. (Or if you would like to help out.)

As patrollers, we have several roles, most of which revolve around keeping the park user safe. We'll help if you are lost. We can assist you if your bike breaks down. And can even provide medical assistance if you are injured - we are all CPR and First-Aid trained.

We are organized under IMBA's National Mountain Bike Patrol program. Check out their website for specifics. www.nmbp.org

We also going report back to the SoMo Rangers on what we see during our patrol, including dangerous trail conditions or illegal activities, such as dogs off leash or renegade biker trails.

No, we cannot hand out tickets. We are simply there to act as the "eyes and ears" of the Rangers. If we see something, we'll let them know so they can deal with it. Talk to us, because we'll report back to the Rangers your concerns as well.

All the patrollers are mountain bikers. We have your interests at heart. We are just trying to make sure that we maintain our trail access to South Mountain by communicating with the land managers.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Dan
    Yes, the Bike Patrol is now up and running. I am the coordinator of the program so if you have issues, please PM me so I can deal with them. (Or if you would like to help out.)

As patrollers, we have several roles, most of which revolve around keeping the park user safe. We'll help if you are lost. We can assist you if your bike breaks down. And can even provide medical assistance if you are injured - we are all CPR and First-Aid trained.

We are organized under IMBA's National Mountain Bike Patrol program. Check out their website for specifics. www.nmbp.org

We also going report back to the SoMo Rangers on what we see during our patrol, including dangerous trail conditions or illegal activities, such as dogs off leash or renegade biker trails.

No, we cannot hand out tickets. We are simply there to act as the "eyes and ears" of the Rangers. If we see something, we'll let them know so they can deal with it. Talk to us, because we'll report back to the Rangers your concerns as well.

All the patrollers are mountain bikers. We have your interests at heart. We are just trying to make sure that we maintain our trail access to South Mountain by communicating with the land managers.

Excellent post for clearing that up Dan. Are you guys out there every day or just weekends? Will the patrol be patrolling all trails or just the heavily traveled ones?

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great idea, Dan. Thanks to you and the other volunteers for giving up your time to keep our mountain open to bikes. It is appreciated by many!

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk
    What color shirts were they?

I was on DC, Javelina, and Beverly last week and I don't remember seeing anyone out of the ordinary.
    Maybe I'll run into them (literally) this weekend.

Red shirts with white lettering I believe.
    07 GF Rig

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i saw them sat. after finishing a ride up javelina at the fireroad gate

Too many Sedonuts...
    All you skeptical MoFos need to just shut the f up. These guys are working to keep the greatest city mountain in mountain-bikedom open for all to enjoy. They have sat thru at least 8 hours of training, paid out of their own pocket to be certified and care enough about these trails to do more than just ride them and b!tch about someone observing the trails. Every week I see some post mindless re-post about "clueless hikers" or somebody moving a rock...yet the minute someone decides to do something constructive and show that mtb-ers care about proper trail usage we compare them to nazis with a clipboard.

Get over yourselves and give them credit for doing the right thing.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    All you skeptical MoFos need to just shut the f up. These guys are working to keep the greatest city mountain in mountain-bikedom open for all to enjoy. They have sat thru at least 8 hours of training, paid out of their own pocket to be certified and care enough about these trails to do more than just ride them and b!tch about someone observing the trails. Every week I see some post mindless re-post about "clueless hikers" or somebody moving a rock...yet the minute someone decides to do something constructive and show that mtb-ers care about proper trail usage we compare them to nazis with a clipboard.

Good call Senoir Cactus!!

That is all i will say in order to avoid a 4000 page thread like we've seen before.
    JRA

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Agree Completely

Agree completely!! Well said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Are you guys out there every day or just weekends? Will the patrol be patrolling all trails or just the heavily traveled ones?
    The Rangers have given us the latitude to make our own schedules and to hit any trail that we want. Our plan is to be out on the mountain every Saturday, Sunday and holiday - the days with the heaviest use. And, we will be mostly on the heavily traveled trails. We will, on occasion, go on some of the less used trails to check out the trails conditions and such.

There are 14 members of the patrol. I recruited from several different areas, including this forum. I know that I bunch of you had some initial interest - some of you followed through and completed all the training, others are waiting to see how this works before committing.

I would like an additional 6 volunteers to make it an even 20. That way, each patroller will only have to be on "official duty" once a month. So, if you are interested PM me or talk to any of us on the trail to see what we are all about.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Smile Geronimo legit?

Is the Geronimo trail an official/ recognized trail in SoMo? I think a mt bike patrol could be a good experiment in outreach and communication between user groups,,,,,,,,it's been discussed as a possible program on the N.AZ trails in the near future. The IMBA program has been very succesful in other parts of the country, where trails are a bit more congested than here in AZ,,,,,,,,we still have it pretty darn good but as Dylan sang "the times they are a changin"

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Is the Geronimo trail an official/ recognized trail in SoMo? I think a mt bike patrol could be a good experiment in outreach and communication between user groups,,,,,,,,it's been discussed as a possible program on the N.AZ trails in the near future. The IMBA program has been very succesful in other parts of the country, where trails are a bit more congested than here in AZ,,,,,,,,we still have it pretty darn good but as Dylan sang "the times they are a changin"

Geronimo is a official trail up until the split (most people don't even know there is a split there) from there down to the camp is the property of the Boy Scouts. The rangers are fully aware of what has been going on with that trail and have been in communication with the person who is building all the berms and jumps that have been "appearing". The general feeling from the rangers is that as long as it doesn't generate new spider trails, remains accessible to hikers and helps to control water flow and erosion control then they are fine with everything going on. A hopeful side effect to this new construction is that it will take some of the downhill traffic away from National/Mormon and away from heavy traffic areas in general.

I have no problem with there being some general oversight on the mountain, as well as some real organization for regular volunteer trail maintenance days. Any way us bikers can have a more prominent say into what goes on on the mountain is a good thing. My hope is that it does provide a clear communication channel between the land managers and the people who use it and not just a way for someone to enforce a self sense of authority.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    That is all i will say in order to avoid a 4000 page thread like we've seen before.
    Ugh...I know. That's the end of my strong opinions for 2008.

Now, where was that glass of Jamisons...oh yes, here it is...

parenting for gnarness
    Ugh...I know. That's the end of my strong opinions for 2008.

Now, where was that glass of Jamisons...oh yes, here it is...
    Strippers bearing Cliff Shots hate Haters.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

I am Walt
    The McDowell Sonoran Preserve (MSP) in N.Scottsdale, which includes Sunrise, Windgate, Bell, Lost Dog, etc., has stewards that "patrol" the Preserve to educate and keep an eye out. These stewards include mountain bike stewards, who wear yellow jerseys and fulfill the role on bikes. Any stewards, mountain bike or otherwise, have to do two full days of training before they can become stewards.

Sounds like the SoMo program is similar, and I think it's a great idea. Just my two-cents worth.

BTW, the Scottsdale Police also patrol the MSP on mountain bikes occasionally. Do the Phoenix Police do the same on the trails at SoMo?
    Ride more; post less...

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Strippers bearing Cliff Shots hate Haters.
    But they love me. Curious? Be at Spring Fling...

I am Walt
    But they love me. Curious? Be at Spring Fling...
    Wait...I thought they said they love me...?
    Ride more; post less...

Lets have some Kool-aid!

Support from the community

I want to thank you all for your support and especially Dan for organizing the patrol. I was out on the trail for the augural patrol ride this past Saturday and it seemed we were well received. Many hikers stopped to chat with us and I got the impression it was a good thing.

My hope is that we can assist, educate, inform and show that Mtbrs care about our playground and keep the multi-use trails as mellow as possible. SoMo is my backyard and I hope I can give a little something back instead of just taking it for granted. We have a special place here, and I hope we all can share and get along.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Wait...I thought they said they love me...?
    ha ha...I drink YOUR milkshake!

Ouch, I am hot!

Duuude, you are the only one on this thread that used the word "nazi". As I have said in another post, people naturally feel territorial about their favorite hiking and riding spots and a bit of defensive behavior is how they deal with it.

I think the Bike Patrol is a good idea. However, until we know that the program works, we should remain a bit skeptical. There is a lot of tension on SoMo between riders and hikers. It is possible that certain hikers will resent the Bike Patrol. As such, I think the Bike Patrol folk and the rest of us need to be careful and open-minded.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Duuude, you are the only one on this thread that used the word "nazi". As I have said in another post, people naturally feel territorial about their favorite hiking and riding spots and a bit of defensive behavior is how they deal with it.

I think the Bike Patrol is a good idea. However, until we know that the program works, we should remain a bit skeptical. There is a lot of tension on SoMo between riders and hikers. It is possible that certain hikers will resent the Bike Patrol. As such, I think the Bike Patrol folk and the rest of us need to be careful and open-minded.

THIS

eat more dirt
    Waltaz - The answer is "no". Phoenix PD does not patrol the mountain. Although there are several officers that ride there frequently. Only the Rangers patrol the trails on mountain bikes.
    It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

In the rear with the beer
    I'm a big fan of the patrols. IMHO, I think it'll help a lot with relations with hikers and other users....and shows that we actually care about the trails and relations with other (i haven't heard about any hiker patrols in somo, so we're a step ahead). I'm also a fan of the idea that they would be there to help in case I take a wicked header down the mountain!

Didn't know about the patrols in scottsdale. Good to know though!! Glad they are there too!! When I rode there recently, hiker/biker relations seemed pretty good, at least during my 3 hour ride...every hiker i ran into smiled, waved and almost seemed happy to see me...I was floored!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Lets have some Kool-aid!
    About 3 weeks ago while riding DC to the water tanks I encountered about 30 Phoenix police officers on the trail going through a mtn bike training course which I thought was interesting. Some were experienced riders and for some it was the first time on the bike.

mtbr member

Huh? Way to "read between the lines?"
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnManTank
    Although there are several officers that ride there frequently.
    Off- or on-duty? I rarely ride S. Mountain, but was out there about a month ago, and there were two police officers (I'm assuming on duty, as they were in uniform, and had guns) riding out there. One had a Kona, and one something else. Come to think about it, I'm not positive there were police officers, but definitely law enforcement. (Could they have been park rangers?)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by kcreative
    About 3 weeks ago while riding DC to the water tanks I encountered about 30 Phoenix police officers on the trail going through a mtn bike training course which I thought was interesting. Some were experienced riders and for some it was the first time on the bike.
    The Phoenix PD runs a bike handling clinic out there twice a year, I think. Spring's when they show up, so I'm not surprised you saw them. A couple fire departments also have small riding clubs/groups that use one of their big-ass engines to move people and bikes out to the trail from time to time -- I wonder if James' short bus ever feels inadequate?

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anyone notice the trail work that the Bike Patrol, Park Rangers and other volunteers have done on DC on the last few weeks?

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by softtail
    Anyone notice the trail work that the Bike Patrol, Park Rangers and other volunteers have done on DC on the last few weeks?
    I noticed some of the work when I was on DC after the heavy rain came down. I saw a couple berms that were dug out to control the flow of water. The bike patrol reminds me of the hall monitor in grade school, but they do provide a service that most of us don't have the time or drive to do.

mtbr member
    I'm glad to know there is a bike patrol on SoMo. I've seen the rangers but not the patrol. I ride alone mostly, so its nice to know there is someone out there who can help if needed.

mtbr member

Patrols and Stewards

For those of those that want to pitch in but maybe don't want to be a full on Mtb Patrol, the Phoenix Parks offer a program in which one gets a free CPR training and issues yellow t-shirts with the city logo and steward written on them. This program is similar to the patrol but has less of an entry fee and lees training. To be a steward, you need to commit to 60 annual hours of volunteer work which can be done anytime you are using a city park in any legal sense (including riding your bike) and all they ask is for you to call in and call to check out. They are mostly looking for more eyes on the ground to augment the rangers. They are also looking for work days too. Contact P J Conover pj.conover@phoenix.gov for more info on how to join. It is a great program.

livin' the dream......
    I saw some Stewards on T-100 about a month ago while riding. They were in the yellow shirts as described above. Some were riding with rangers, others were on thier own.

Good to have additional eyes out there, rangers can't cover it all and it sounds like city budgets are going to be reduced again, so doubtful if more will be hired anytime soon.

NardoSS
    Park Stewards was what one gentleman described them as, but I believe we all should act as stewards of this public land we use. If we have decent people reporting on the cycling community's behalf to park rangers then I'm all for it. If rangers only heard from hikers like the lady on Geronimo a few months ago then we'd all be trading in our mountain bikes for new shoes and wide brim hats.

Also, you can count on these riders NOT to blow past you sans eye contact should you actually need some mechanical assistance. It doesn't hurt to have friendly riders on the trail. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like a great idea...armed police would be even better.

Dust biter
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestHorse
    Wouldn't it be sweet if the rangers would just get out there, be a presence (no doggy bags, off roading, do some trailwork) and make a difference? No need to be armed to do any of that.
    BTW- I speak from experience, it can be done.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestHorse
    Because that's what we need in the police state we already live in. Armed citizens with CCW's would have the same effect without the fear that most cops instill on others.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    Because that's what we need in the police state we already live in.
    You only say this because you've never firsthand been in a "police state" environment. Count your blessings because you have it so so hard here.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerideAZ
    You only say this because you've never firsthand been in a "police state" environment. Count your blessings because you have it so so hard here.
    Is this God talking, or do you have a record of my travels in your back pocket?

banned
    Is this God talking, or do you have a record of my travels in your back pocket?
    God told me and he also said you're an idiot.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante
    Wouldn't it be sweet if the rangers would just get out there, be a presence (no doggy bags, off roading, do some trailwork) and make a difference? No need to be armed to do any of that.
    BTW- I speak from experience, it can be done.
    That would be nice!

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerideAZ
    God told me and he also said you're an idiot.
    Gonna call me a doo-doo head next?

Too many Sedonuts...
    Because that's what we need in the police state we already live in.
    LOL...!

mtbr member
    getting back on track.... i have talked to the somo patrol a couple of times and they were great they asked me if i had seen any issues on the trail, and talked about a flagstaff race that one of the patrolers had raced in. come to find out, my riding bud who was with me that day on somo, and this patroller had ridden much of the race in flag right next to each other. small world, but shows the patrol does have regular mt. bikers for staff. another time we were talking to a patroller at somo, and then later rode past him and he was busy dressing a wound on a rider that had gone down. so they are doing a good thing out there and so far i believe the situation is golden.

Members who have read this thread: 0