Someone shot a gun at me at McDowell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Someone shot a gun at me at McDowell

Well.......not really at me but towards us for sure. I was with my buddy and we were on the last leg of the long loop where it goes by the road and, POW POW, I hear two gunshots! I look up ahead and I see my friend riding up a hill and some other people walking towards him. For a moment I saw the headline "mountain bikers killed by hillbilly". I caugh up and I saw a woman in her 40's with two kids about 8-11 years old standing at the top of the hill. The kids were carrying guns! I said to the woman "are those 22's?" she said no...aahhhh I don't know the calliber. I said "do they shoot bullets?" both the kids with enthusiasm said "Yea"

I told her I didnt think you can shoot over here but she said it was OK and she had a map that said she could. I told her that can't be right there are way to many bikes and people around. She then asked me if I had seen a red suburu...." i told her no and told her she shouldnt be shooting and rode away.

My friend was waiting for me at the wash and we started talking about the guns and he said they were hunting. I missed the rabbits that the woman had! Rabbits for Thanksgiving!

We saw a police officer to the right of us by a Red Suburu so we rode up to inform him that there was a family of rabbit hunters in the park. The officer was with some guy and discussing that his wife and kids were lost. We told them they were just over the hill not more than a 100 yards away and they were shooting guns. The cop immediately got really pissed and said "they were shooting?" and looked over at the guy and said "you told me those shell casings weren't yours!" I think they probably got a ticket. Cops love it when you lie to them.

It was an odd event for me so I thought I would share!

see ya,
    ross

Meatbomb
    I nominate you for head of the McDowell Bike Patrol

Poor lesson to be teaching the kids in gun safety. I hope the cops took the guns away.

EDR
    That is an interesting story. Too bad she didn't seem more concerned about the location they chose to hunt.

On a related note, last year I was heading down the backside of Mine Trail at Hawes when I came around a corner and was startled by a man standing just off the trail with a shotgun. I just said "hey" and went on my way. I don't think hunting is allowed 100 yards from the highway but, whatever.

Pivotal figure
    We nearly got in the line of fire out at Pima & Dynamite a few years ago. Same story, guys shooting up on a ridge and not thinking about where all those shots end up.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    it is illegal to shoot or hunt in the park, except at phoenix rod and gun club, which is located at the base of the mountain off of 7th Ave.
    Wow, I'm sorry you had to deal with ignorant people. Just shooting where there are alot of people. Most gun people, true gun people have lots more common sense than that. I'm glad nobody was hurt and the police were there.

livin' the dream......
    I had a similar deal a few years ago at Pima/Dynamite too. I was riding right at sunrise and was heading east, so I could not see too much in front of me due to direct light in my face. All of a sudden I hear shots coming from the direction I am going, but could not see who/what was going on.

For a second I thought about shouting out to let them know I was there and was passing through. The paranoid side of me started thinking, what if this is some type of crime/shooting in progress and now I am a witness? I turned around and silently hauled a$$ out of there. It just sucked becasue I could not see anything due to the sun and direction all this was taking place in. I hate to be paranoid like that, but you just never know...................

mtbr member
    I've had that experience a few times. Riding in Yuma near Blaisdell on dirtbikes and mountain bikes. It's a bit disturbing to hear ricochets whizzing by. Riding (dirtbike) north of the Bartlett Lake Road I came across some moron shooting ACROSS the trail. I'm into shooting too but those rabbit hunters and these other people are just morons. It's people like that who give the responsible ones a bad name.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Takes a few hundred true rednecks to ruin it for the rest. Most people would rather ruin it for the rest than have a few hundred irresponsible rednecks running around the country shooting up people. And I gotta say, I see why people are so anti-gun. I have hunted way in the past but I'm just scared to ever do it again due to these drunk or irresponsible freaks running around with loaded weapons. I have heard of so many drunks shooting at or actually shooting other hunters or hikers.

Be careful out there and call the cops and Rangers when you see what you think is unsafe or illegal shooting. Freaks!

im4Gsus
    i'm glad you'z ok ross. getting shot is definitely not the way to enter the holiday season!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmilk9
    it is illegal to shoot or hunt in the park, except at phoenix rod and gun club, which is located at the base of the mountain off of 7th Ave.
    Wow, I'm sorry you had to deal with ignorant people. Just shooting where there are alot of people. Most gun people, true gun people have lots more common sense than that. I'm glad nobody was hurt and the police were there.
    Scott, they were over at McDowell, not SoMo. Either way, not a good thing to happen upon, hunting or not. Ignorance runs deep in these parts, and apparently there's lots of it to go around.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    From the sounds of some of these threads it looks like mountain biking is hazardous to your heath. I can say I am usually the only one hazardous to my own heath when riding, now this. Glad your ok, I'd hate to hear of a rider being struck by a stray bullet because of some jack ass.

Master Gardener
    Shucks, up here in Preskit that happens on every ride. Usually a few times. Because of the little burst of fear-fueled speed it gives you, we just call those PEG, aka Performance-Enhancing Gunshots.

I'm "bad" different

Amateur

Son, you need the Enduro SL COMPton edition. This is the XD grouppo complete with extra magazine clip for truly epic rides. Hollowpoints are recommended for weight weenies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by WeezPuff
    Son, you need the Enduro SL COMPton edition. This is the XD grouppo complete with extra magazine clip for truly epic rides. Hollowpoints are recommended for weight weenies.
    Hey! Is that a permanent mount for that pistola? I need something like that, for riding my pit bull infested neighborhood, after dark.

I'm "bad" different
    It was an extra cost option for the '07 E150 fork - I think it's standard on the '08 models in open-carry states (sorry Cali). It works pretty well, but my commuter has a Cateye brand gun turrett with integrated headlamp and speedometer. I have to hand it to the aftermarket - they've really stepped it up and answered the need for bicycles with more firepower.

Seriously though, I've been shot "at" on the hills in Casa Grande, but I figured that was kind of par for the course down there. When we rode up to the guys from the general direction of the "target" (they were shooting from the hip, literally) they were like "whoa, you shouldn't ride over there cuz that's where we're shootin'!" yah, no sh!t, we kind of figured that out. This was on the southern end of the hills (southy?) so if you're riding down there keep your ears open and be ready to change direction. In all fairness to them, it WAS a Sunday and everyone's got their own way of showin' their love for the Lord. WWJD?

Coors, the american beer.
    ive been shot at floating down both the american and sacramento rivers in northern california .... no shots while out mountain biking yet
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

banned
    That, is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

igoslo
    It was an extra cost option for the '07 E150 fork - I think it's standard on the '08 models in open-carry states (sorry Cali). It works pretty well, but my commuter has a Cateye brand gun turrett with integrated headlamp and speedometer. I have to hand it to the aftermarket - they've really stepped it up and answered the need for bicycles with more firepower.

Seriously though, I've been shot "at" on the hills in Casa Grande, but I figured that was kind of par for the course down there. When we rode up to the guys from the general direction of the "target" (they were shooting from the hip, literally) they were like "whoa, you shouldn't ride over there cuz that's where we're shootin'!" yah, no sh!t, we kind of figured that out. This was on the southern end of the hills (southy?) so if you're riding down there keep your ears open and be ready to change direction. In all fairness to them, it WAS a Sunday and everyone's got their own way of showin' their love for the Lord. WWJD?
    I've encountered the shooters at the south end of CG as well. We asked them to hold off until we cleared the ridge and the seemed happy to oblige. No fuss, no muss.

In the rear with the beer
    That's just scary....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Chunky Monkey
    Two of us riding Black Canyon Trail out of Henderson last Sunday. About three miles from the trail head we encountered two double cabbed trucks across the trail shooting into the hill, no targets. About five men three or four boys. The trail at this point was poorly marked, so we did not say anything, I didn't think my Crank Brothers multi tool would threaten them anyway, so we rolled on. We could hear some more shooting about another two miles or so and came upon another truck on the double track with rifle across the back of the bed, no one around. We stopped about twenty feet away and could see a target set up about 100 yards away, he/she must have been checking the grouping, so we rolled way around making ALOT of noise. We finally find Boy Scout Loop (sweet) and then hear a semi-auto firing. We finished the loop (quickly) and started back toward the trail head. When we passed back by where the the two trucks were we found that they had knocked down one of the new trail markers and empty cans every where. Great example for the kids....I hate to say it that when I ride into areas like the BCT from now on I am packing a little protection. I took NRA hunter's safety when I was nine, I am now 56. Am I wrong?

BTW, thanks to all of you that have worked on this trail, I hope to join in next time.

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    Hey! Is that a permanent mount for that pistola? I need something like that, for riding my pit bull infested neighborhood, after dark.
    Don't you live down by Riggse???
    "May The Schwartz Be With You!"

caninus xerophilous

A report vs. a zing.

The difference of hearing a shot and being shot at; when you hear the dreaded zing its time to duck and cover.

These folks you describe seem far from "rednecks", more like ignorant city slickers. Redneck types are usually well educated in fire arms ettiquite and fond of their fire arms.

Louis

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Redneck types are usually well educated in fire arms ettiquite and fond of their fire arms.
    AND marry their brother, sister, cousin, etc. AND live in trailers. AND take better care training their dogs than their in-bred offspring, such as seems to be the case here...

I'm "bad" different
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    I hate to say it that when I ride into areas like the BCT from now on I am packing a little protection.
    I have to say I've never been afraid of anyone I met shooting a gun out in the desert...but the guy shooting a gun in the grocery store scares the sh!t out of me everytime

I only carry for protection from the wild roving desert beer can that is indigenous to this area. Nothing scares me more than an empty beer can - not even the guy poppin' caps in my Rice Krispies!

caninus xerophilous
    Two orangatang avatars in a row. Anyone watch Nature on PBS last night?

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Two orangatang avatars in a row. Anyone watch Nature on PBS last night?
    Oh contrare...circusubet is NOT an orangutan...and mine could very closely resemble a self-portrait (with all due respect to Clyde!).

caninus xerophilous

Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    Oh contrare...circusubet is NOT an orangutan...and mine could very closely resemble a self-portrait (with all due respect to Clyde!).
    Right turn, Clyde!

Ouch, I am hot!
    I have to say I've never been afraid of anyone I met shooting a gun out in the desert...but the guy shooting a gun in the grocery store scares the sh!t out of me everytime

I only carry for protection from the wild roving desert beer can that is indigenous to this area. Nothing scares me more than an empty beer can - not even the guy poppin' caps in my Rice Krispies!
    I concur. I fear getting shot by accident because of some redneck's redneck behavior. I am not all that fearful that some dude out there with a gun is going to purposely blow my head off simply because he has a gun and I ride up to his/her truck.

Where does one "pack"? I suspect that in most cases packing a weapon in one's pack ain't gonna do much good against an accidental shooting or even freak killing.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Chunky Monkey
    Maybe when I grow up? It is all just monkey business ....circusubet.

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    Maybe when I grow up? It is all just monkey business ....circusubet.
    Skidrow fan???

Chunky Monkey
    Skidrow fan???
    Naw, just Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. Whats behind that smile?

MTBikeAZ.com
    I was riding Casa Grande Mountain a few weeks ago, coming off the south east loops when I heard shots. I kept riding to hook up with the main trails back to the north side when I started hearing the zings... I booked it outta there. The south side of Casa Grande Mountain is pretty rouge. I'm not sure if it's legal to shoot there, but there's plenty of evidence that shooting has been around for a long time over there.

The trails on the south side are awesome. Next time I ride I'll have to bring real body armor.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

My holster fits real nice in the front straps of my cameback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I concur. I fear getting shot by accident because of some redneck's redneck behavior. I am not all that fearful that some dude out there with a gun is going to purposely blow my head off simply because he has a gun and I ride up to his/her truck.

Where does one "pack"? I suspect that in most cases packing a weapon in one's pack ain't gonna do much good against an accidental shooting or even freak killing.

Easy access when out rolling in the wild backwoods. Trying to figure out nice knife combo to go with it for when i have to wrestle with a mountainlion.

Mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

azstumpy
    You McD and SoMo guys are way too soft. We dodge bullets every day up in the North Valley. But, I wish I was lying.

Salty Dog

Were ya killed, Ross?

It's always good to be able to hear the gunshots!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzz
    Well.......not really at me but towards us for sure. I was with my buddy and we were on the last leg of the long loop where it goes by the road and, POW POW, I hear two gunshots! I look up ahead and I see my friend riding up a hill and some other people walking towards him. For a moment I saw the headline "mountain bikers killed by hillbilly". I caugh up and I saw a woman in her 40's with two kids about 8-11 years old standing at the top of the hill. The kids were carrying guns! I said to the woman "are those 22's?" she said no...aahhhh I don't know the calliber. I said "do they shoot bullets?" both the kids with enthusiasm said "Yea"

I told her I didnt think you can shoot over here but she said it was OK and she had a map that said she could. I told her that can't be right there are way to many bikes and people around. She then asked me if I had seen a red suburu...." i told her no and told her she shouldnt be shooting and rode away.

My friend was waiting for me at the wash and we started talking about the guns and he said they were hunting. I missed the rabbits that the woman had! Rabbits for Thanksgiving!

We saw a police officer to the right of us by a Red Suburu so we rode up to inform him that there was a family of rabbit hunters in the park. The officer was with some guy and discussing that his wife and kids were lost. We told them they were just over the hill not more than a 100 yards away and they were shooting guns. The cop immediately got really pissed and said "they were shooting?" and looked over at the guy and said "you told me those shell casings weren't yours!" I think they probably got a ticket. Cops love it when you lie to them.

It was an odd event for me so I thought I would share!

see ya,
    ross
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Low speed, High Drag
    Don't you live down by Riggse???
    Yup, been out here since Feb of '03. Eric is a little further south of me. When the housing market took off, every pit bull owner in AZ moved in here it seemed like. I see 'em all the time roaming off leash, and we have a bazillion kids out here, too. It's only a matter of time before someone, or some one's pet gets mauled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    Yup, been out here since Feb of '03. Eric is a little further south of me. When the housing market took off, every pit bull owner in AZ moved in here it seemed like. I see 'em all the time roaming off leash, and we have a bazillion kids out here, too. It's only a matter of time before someone, or some one's pet gets mauled.

Most Pits are fun loving dogs unless they have been made/raised to be attack dogs by the owner. If you live in a good neighborhood with good people then the dogs will most likely be nice like the owners. Normal raised Pits don't just maul or attack someone. Pits get a bad rap from the press and a lot of people who don't know the dogs buy into it.

mtbr member
    I don't know... I had a girlfriend that had a pitbull. It was the sweetest dog and got along great with most other dogs. Sometimes though, that dog would go completely insane in the presence of another dog. She got her thumbnail ripped off wrestling her dog off of another one. As nice as they may seem, any dog (pits and others) can be unpredictable.

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Most Pits are fun loving dogs unless they have been made/raised to be attack dogs by the owner. If you live in a good neighborhood with good people then the dogs will most likely be nice like the owners. Normal raised Pits don't just maul or attack someone. Pits get a bad rap from the press and a lot of people who don't know the dogs buy into it.
    I know they don't just go crazy, and start mauling people. One of my friends at work has two very lovable pits, and I don't think they'd hurt a fly. On the other hand, a lot of the pits in my neighborhood, are owned by what appear to be wannabe gang bangers, and I'm sure they've not had the best of care, or training. It's sad, because I love dogs, and if I had to put one away, it'd bother me for quite some time. I would not hesitate though, if I felt I or my wife, were in any danger.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=kevhogaz]I know they don't just go crazy, and start mauling people. One of my friends at work has two very lovable pits, and I don't think they'd hurt a fly. On the other hand, a lot of the pits in my neighborhood, are owned by what appear to be wannabe gang bangers, and I'm sure they've not had the best of care, or training.QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not good. Those are the bad owners. Street punks think it's a status symbol and not a responsibility to own a dog. I wish the Rappers would pick another breed of dog to use in their videos and Pit attacks would about disappear.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Most Pits are fun loving dogs unless they have been made/raised to be attack dogs by the owner.
    I agree with this statement. Friend had a pit bull and besides my previous black lab (rest in peace) the pit bull was the must loving dog you could imagine. Would rather have a pit bull then one of those 4 inch obnoxious ankle biter's.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Chunky Monkey
    Skidrow fan???
    Naw, just Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. Whats behind that smile?

Members who have read this thread: 0