Some Recognition for a Local Legend (Ed @ SWSC)- Mtbr.com
    Master Gardener

Some Recognition for a Local Legend (Ed @ SWSC)

For those of you who have access to the brand spankin' new QBP catalog that just hit the streets, there's a really cool little write-up on Ed Furbush and Southwest Sounds & Cyclery on the first index page ("Accessories").

Correction: SWSC is actually more like 125 square feet, not 100.

To put into perspective the magic that Eddie makes in his shop, the NBDA estimates the average bike shop in the U.S. does about $120/year per square foot. Ed does about $500 per square foot. He's the man. Spreadin' the love!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    And besides being a hell of a rider and nice guy to boot!

BTW - how'd his knee surgery go?

Saucy Size
    Oh wow, Ed had knee surgery? He's definitely a colorful local legend. Showed me the most amazing circuit of trails up in Preskitt a bunch of years ago -- I've never been able to exactly replicate his route.

p.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    kudos for Ed
    $500 per square foot....and he never open
    We love you Ed

this reminds me I need stop in for a Nevegal
    Darwin was an Optimist

A character for sure. I liked giving him business, though getting out of work and over to his shop for the ~10 hours a week he was open was a nuisance.

I will say that he builds one hell of a wheel.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    A character for sure. I liked giving him business, though getting out of work and over to his shop for the ~10 hours a week he was open was a nuisance.

I will say that he builds one hell of a wheel.
    I've been trying to pick up a finished wheel build for the commuter for about two weeks

When he's there I'm at work, when I can get there, he's gone.

I have always been impressed with the high end stuff he has hanging around and going through the doors.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    And besides being a hell of a rider and nice guy to boot!

BTW - how'd his knee surgery go?
    Postponed, unfortunately. Issue with funds. We are really missing him out on the trail. It's just not the same when you don't have a 53-year old guy handing your a$$ to you regularly.

Always call SWSC before you drive over! It only took me a couple months in Prescott to figure that one out.

Enel, I feel ya brother... I worked out in P.V. for about 18 months and the entire time i worked out there, I probably visited Ed's shop twice. Just couldn't make it in there during his "hours."

I'm going to try to scan that QBP catalog page and post it here. It really is cool. It's the "Arizona" page of the catalog, with an AZ collage of various images and landmarks, with our favorite cracker rastafarian front and center.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1

Always call SWSC before you drive over! It only took me a couple months in Prescott to figure that one out.
    I know that drill. Unfortunately a busy signal sucked me in the other day to find the door locked. Someone else checking in at the same time I imagine.

Cool dude though, traded some parts plush cash for a wheelbuild...not bad.

Master Gardener
    His latest act of generosity was to sponsor all 4 of the Prescott teams heading to Old Pueblo and hook them all up with Nite Rider gear at wholesale. He's placed 4 orders with Nite Rider over the past couple months, scrambling to get us all set up, and didn't make a penny off of it.

He lives to see other people enjoy riding their bikes.

Master Gardener

... and if we just ...

Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, Ed the man for sure. Also a dirt biker! Lets give him some more business - super tuner!!!!!! Think Globally, Act Locally.

Master Gardener
    Right on, tls.

Just a heads-up... we're putting together a fundraiser for Ed's knee surgery. It will happen most likely at the Raven Cafe a couple weekends after Pueblo. A slideshow of the Prescott teams at Pueblo, a raffle and hopefully we'll be showing the film Klunkers , if I can work it out. I'll post details in the next week and hopefully you can swing by and join in the shenanigans.

We're also planning a party to celebrate Southwest Sounds & Cyclery's 10th Anniversary in May, if everyone's not too burnt out on Prescott by then after being manhandled and left for dead on the Prescott Monstercross, rattled and bruised by the Tower To Town junkers cruise and then brutalized and sodomized at the Whiskey. I'm hoping to get the Prescott Blue Ribbon race together for the Fall, too.

Details to come. It's going to be a fun year in ol' Preskit.

Master Gardener
    Right on, tls.

Just a heads-up... we're putting together a fundraiser for Ed's knee surgery. It will happen most likely at the Raven Cafe a couple weekends after Pueblo. A slideshow of the Prescott teams at Pueblo, a raffle and hopefully we'll be showing the film Klunkers , if I can work it out. I'll post details in the next week and hopefully you can swing by and join in the shenanigans.
    We're all set, for anyone who wants to join in the celebration.

What: Slideshow of the Prescott crew at the 24 Hrs in the Old Pueblo; raffle; silent auction; screening of documentary Klunkerz, with a special menu and beer specials (Fat Tire and Dale's Pale Ale). Live acoustic music by Jed Gantert.

When: Wednesday, March 4th. 7 PM.

Where: Raven Cafe, downtown Prescott.

All proceeds will go to Ed for his knee surgery.

Group ride the following Sunday, March 8th.

Link: www.ravensingletrack.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ed's lucky to have such loyal customers. It's a testament to his business and the kind of guy he must be. Sorry I can't make it. Enjoy the ride.
    www.klunkerz.com

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterendo
    Ed's lucky to have such loyal customers. It's a testament to his business and the kind of guy he must be. Sorry I can't make it. Enjoy the ride.
    www.klunkerz.com
    Thanks, Billy- For the kind words and the fine documentary.

I consider myself lucky to live in a small town with such a vibrant cycling community, on the brink of really going off. I wish you could make it next week... it's shaping up to be a big bike orgy.

The Tower to Town Klunker Cruise is April 5, if you get a wild hair and want to hit the road and head East. You could teach us a thing or two about how it's supposed to done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh man, that looks like a total blast for a good cause! I'm usually an NC-17 shenanigans kind of guy, but I'd go R-rated for that one. My brother-in-law is fighting the same battle as Nick right now. Fight on, Nick. Thanks again for all the support.
    Ride on,
    Billy
    www.klunkerz.com
    "Support independent film...buy a DVD from the filmmaker!"

Saucy Size
    Ooh! Cool event. Can you please repost this as a separate thread?

p.

Members who have read this thread: 0