Some Flag route help- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Some Flag route help

I've got an idea to do this route on Elden:

up Schultz->up Little Gnarly->down Jedi->up connectors to get to New Secret->new secret to forest road->forest road up to Lookout\Ricochet->down Lookout back to New Secret->down Supermoto.

I mostly know the area, but haven't done the New Secret yet and not sure how to find it coming from the Schultz trail\Sunset Parking area. Also never gone from Secret up the road to Lookout. The goal is to avoid Weatherford, even if it means doing parts of New Secret twice.

Is this route doable or a terrible idea? Can you help me fill in the blanks? Figuring its ~4hrs of riding time.

Thanks!!!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

pedaller
    up Schultz->up Little Gnarly->down Jedi->up Shultz & up Orion Spring to New Secret->new secret to forest road->forest road up to Lookout\Ricochet->down Lookout back to New Secret->down Supermoto.

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=58&pos=0

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Rock on Dude!

To get ya to New Secret from the parking lot once you crest Schultz, from where the Forest Service sign with big map, go same side opposite of parking lot and find a little trail leading towards the road. Cross the road like a gallena does it and onto a little singletrack. Turn left/left very soon and that is the New Secret.
    Buena suete and how will you know if you are on the right path? The trail crosses the pipeline and fs road 6273 at the same time. Orion Spring lies ahead.

mtbr member
    Great route. I would add that if you want to avoid the rocky mess of L. Knarly you could add a delicious mile or two to your ride and go up Weenies Walk (Climb #2 as opposed to Climb #3) and then double back on U. Brookbank to Jedi. Better views and more ss friendly as well.

And not to beat a dead horse but it's Overlook and not Lookout. There's already an Elden Lookout so that one's taken. If you don't want to ride up new Secret twice you could cut a mile or two out by heading up Meadow and past Onceler to the FS road. That's pretty quick. Otherwise, like Chalkpaw said. Head across the parking lot to the moto shortcut to pipeline/Weatherford trail/Challenger and take your first left. It's sort of a 3-way with the middle trail heading up to the east end of Overlook (or some call it lower Kid trail).

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball

Is this route doable or a terrible idea? Can you help me fill in the blanks? Figuring its ~4hrs of riding time.

Thanks!!!
    It's a terrible idea. After Jedi turn right and climb back up LG. Descend Brookbank, climb the road, down Hobbit and Little Bear, back to Shultz Tank, cross the road, and proceed as planned.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    It's a terrible idea. After Jedi turn right and climb back up LG. Descend Brookbank, climb the road, down Hobbit and Little Bear, back to Shultz Tank, cross the road, and proceed as planned.
    well if ima going there, i'm dang sure taking Wasabi down.

what are you going to ride without the Lenz?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Great route. I would add that if you want to avoid the rocky mess of L. Knarly you could add a delicious mile or two to your ride and go up Weenies Walk (Climb #2 as opposed to Climb #3) and then double back on U. Brookbank to Jedi. Better views and more ss friendly as well.

And not to beat a dead horse but it's Overlook and not Lookout. There's already an Elden Lookout so that one's taken. If you don't want to ride up new Secret twice you could cut a mile or two out by heading up Meadow and past Onceler to the FS road. That's pretty quick. Otherwise, like Chalkpaw said. Head across the parking lot to the moto shortcut to pipeline/Weatherford trail/Challenger and take your first left. It's sort of a 3-way with the middle trail heading up to the east end of Overlook (or some call it lower Kid trail).
    thanks you guys for the suggestions - never done Onceler or Weenie Walk so that would be a fun alternative. Little Gnarly never really bothered me much - its not easy or nuthin, just seems like tons of other rocky climbs in Phoenix i'm used too

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Some useful insight into how to put a good loop together in this thread. Been looking at the trail map and discussing options to ride here when we blow through on 7/8th October on a road trip.

Incidently, if there are any local folk who would like to ride with us then give me a shout. We have not ridden here before so will be finding the way round with a map - and probably going at a modet pace whilst gulping for air! .
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Some useful insight into how to put a good loop together in this thread. Been looking at the trail map and discussing options to ride here when we blow through on 7/8th October on a road trip.

Incidently, if there are any local folk who would like to ride with us then give me a shout. We have not ridden here before so will be finding the way round with a map - and probably going at a modet pace whilst gulping for air! .
    the route I've got in mind, with the suggestions especially from Rockman, will make for fun foresty climbs and techy downhills. I'm riding my 6inch bike. If you want to go single speed or more XC, you'll still have fun on this route but some other alternatives might suit you better.

Members who have read this thread: 0