Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old but slow.
    Apr 2005

Some Consideration Please

First, I want to apologize to the rider that I *****ed out today! Even though I hold the opinion that you should earn your downhill experience by riding up the mountain, that doesn't make me right - it's just my opinion. Therefore, I apologize for spouting the comment this morning (I said "you should earn your downhill rides by riding uphill").

Now, on to my gripe! This morning I was riding my road bike up South Mountain. I was sweating & puffing to keep the pedals spinning (in my mind, I was leading the peloton up the mountain) and a silver Toyota, with DH bikes in the back, came blowing by me ABOUT A FOOT AWAY, doing easily 40 miles an hour!

I understand your desire to get in multiple runs and using a vehicle is the most efficient method. And I'm also very aware of the "battle" between mountain bikers & roadies. But please understand this . . . not every rider you see on a road bike is a "roadie", and your desire to scream by, damn near clipping us, is childish and dangerous. Some of mountain bikers, especially the ones who believe that you have to earn it to burn it, often ride our road rigs for fitness.

PLEASE give other riders space when you're DRIVING your bikes to the top of the hill. Also, when a "roadie" is pedaling 10 miles an hour over the posted speed limit already, there's no good reason to blow by him/her (although the red truck DID give a wide enough berth).

mtbr member
    I think someone was just a bit surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 Adventures
    First, I want to apologize to the rider that I *****ed out today! Even though I hold the opinion that you should earn your downhill experience by riding up the mountain, that doesn't make me right - it's just my opinion. Therefore, I apologize for spouting the comment this morning (I said "you should earn your downhill rides by riding uphill").

Now, on to my gripe! This morning I was riding my road bike up South Mountain. I was sweating & puffing to keep the pedals spinning (in my mind, I was leading the peloton up the mountain) and a silver Toyota, with DH bikes in the back, came blowing by me ABOUT A FOOT AWAY, doing easily 40 miles an hour!

I understand your desire to get in multiple runs and using a vehicle is the most efficient method. And I'm also very aware of the "battle" between mountain bikers & roadies. But please understand this . . . not every rider you see on a road bike is a "roadie", and your desire to scream by, damn near clipping us, is childish and dangerous. Some of mountain bikers, especially the ones who believe that you have to earn it to burn it, often ride our road rigs for fitness.

PLEASE give other riders space when you're DRIVING your bikes to the top of the hill. Also, when a "roadie" is pedaling 10 miles an hour over the posted speed limit already, there's no good reason to blow by him/her (although the red truck DID give a wide enough berth).
    Ok, for one, this belongs in the Arizona forum, not the general DH/FR forum.

For two, I was a passenger in that truck and while I don't agree passing anyone that close is acceptable, you need to look at it from the perspective of the driver, and its not just a shuttle vehicle thing or a downhiller vs roadie thing.

When anyone is driving up that mountain, the roadies ride 2 or 3 wide all the times which makes it next to impossible to get around them without running the fear of taking out some roadie coming downhill at 45mph while cutting the lanes on the corners. And yes, it has happened.

Last year I had the unfortunate experience of scraping a roadie off the pavement that came around one of those blind corners across the yellow lines and almost clipped the car in front of me, he swerved, lost control and did 2 full front flips with the bike still attached as he went flying by my truck. The aftermath was not a pretty sight.

So when we shuttle, we tend to blow by the uphill guys just for the sake of getting back over in the lane ASAP so there isn't a head on with another cyclist. Believe me, it isn't a gesture of animosity towards roadies, it is merely trying to avoid an accident with the guys who are riding down the road at 20 mph over the posted speed limit.

******ed or Branded??
    I agree with Sixty on this. Majority of the time we are just trying to get around you as quick as possible before another car or rider coming down hit's us in the other lane.
    Just to add. Majority of the time that I have driven up or even down the road the rider never gives enough room for a car to get around or even have the comon courtesty to pull over especially on the up climbs for cars to get through. Imagine cars are like other riders. If you are going too slow on up climb don't you pull off a good amount to let the passing faster rider pass you so that you don't hinder they progress? Well it should go the same cars that are basically driving up the hill in idle speed behind you as you don't look back nor acknowledge that you know we are behind you. Espcially those with ipods balsting away in there ears not knowing what is going on around them. Those are the worse ones. They are oblivious to who is behind them and who they are holding up.

Slower traffic in right lane.......for this particular situations slower traffic should pull over or make way.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

pedaller

I'm confused?

I thought Sixty said that it is UNacceptable to pass anyone that close...

I don't agree passing anyone that close is acceptable
    How can we expect other drivers to follow the rules of the road when it comes to cyclists when we ourselves don't?
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

banned
    Attached Images Attached Images

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    ...and shuttle drivers, me being one are aware of roadies, mounties, riding up/down the road and keep a watchful eye out for them. There are many drivers going up and down that road that have never been around the bike "peloton" before and could care less as they are driving their impalas and bel air's up and down the road.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I thought Sixty said that it is UNacceptable to pass anyone that close...

How can we expect othwer drivers to follow the rules of the road when it comes to cyclists when we ourselves don't?

I don't agree that passing a cyclist that close is acceptable, which is why on roads I'll even move over a lane to give them room. The last thing I want to do as a driver and a cyclist is hit another cyclist. Unfortunately, that option is all but removed from the road on SoMo by the wanna be Armstrongs who come flying down and cutting corners.

I also don't agree with the way that the majority of the roadies that ride the road on SoMo act towards drivers. They ride 3 wide and act like your not even behind them, they cut the yellow lines on blind corners doing 40+ mph, I even had one spit at my truck as he was passing within a foot of my bumper, IN MY LANE.

Sorry, but on the road, you're a vehicle, and as one, you should have to follow the same laws as any other vehicle on the road, which means, speed limits, stop signs, and staying in your lane.

Just like everyone says DH'ers give mountain bikers a bad rap on the trails, those guys make all the roadies look just as bad IMO.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I don't agree that passing a cyclist that close is acceptable, which is why on roads I'll even move over a lane to give them room. The last thing I want to do as a driver and a cyclist is hit another cyclist. Unfortunately, that option is all but removed from the road on SoMo by the wanna be Armstrongs who come flying down and cutting corners.

I also don't agree with the way that the majority of the roadies that ride the road on SoMo act towards drivers. They ride 3 wide and act like your not even behind them, they cut the yellow lines on blind corners doing 40+ mph, I even had one spit at my truck as he was passing within a foot of my bumper, IN MY LANE.

Sorry, but on the road, you're a vehicle, and as one, you should have to follow the same laws as any other vehicle on the road, which means, speed limits, stop signs, and staying in your lane.

Just like everyone says DH'ers give mountain bikers a bad rap on the trails, those guys make all the roadies look just as bad IMO.

Rules don't apply when your training: wikipedia

The peloton travels as an integrated unit, like birds flying in formation, each rider making slight adjustments in response to the riders around him (or her) (particularly the one in front of each). When developed, riders at the front are exposed to higher loads, and will tend to slip off the front in order to rejoin the pack further back. In some cases, with sufficient room to maneuver, this will develop into a fluid situation where the center of the peloton appears to be pushing through its own leading edge.

The shape or formation of the peloton changes according to many factors. A strong headwind or a hard effort tends to spread-out or string-out the riders, while a slow tempo or tailwind tends to bunch up the peloton into a wider formation. Side wind forces the peloton to form into echelons in the direction of the wind. Often, the width of the road forces the peloton to form into several echelons. When more than one group of riders want to contest control of the peloton, several lines may form racing one another.

While only the riders exposed to the wind at the front (and the windward side when there is a significant crosswind) of the peloton are the ones doing most of the work, it is usually advantageous to be positioned closer to the front of the peloton. One reason is to avoid being affected by the 'elastic band effect' in which a change in speed becomes amplified as it propagates to the back of the peloton. The rider riding behind a rider who is changing his/her speed must make the adjustment at a slightly faster rate (due to reaction time) to avoid collisions.

Moreover, being closer to the front means that the rider can react to attacks and changes in position with less effort. Gaps sometimes form in the peloton, and being closer to the front also reduces the risk of getting caught in the rear group when the peloton breaks form. Also, the chance of ending up in a crash declines when nearer to the front, because the frontmost riders have the fewest fallen riders to evade. Finally, being at the front of the peloton means dictating the tempo to some degree, and some teams or groups of riders may prefer different speeds as part of their tactics. Being at the front of the peloton is also necessary to initiate a breakaway.

Tactical factors also apply[2]. Teams generally attempt to cluster their members in the peloton in order to maximize their ability to affect the pack as a whole. For instance, if a team member is currently in a breakaway in front of the peloton, it is advantageous for the remaining members to slow the peloton as much as possible in an attempt to avoid catching the breakaway. This can be particularly effective in tight turns or narrow roads, where a single team can block the progress of the pack if they are in a favorable position. A similar situation occurs at the end of the race when teams will cluster in front of their sprinter, blocking the wind as long as possible while still leaving an open path in front for the sprinter to break out near the finish line.

It is typical for large hills to split up pelotons, as the aerodynamic factors are less important at the slower climbing speeds, and power-to-weight ratio is the key determinant of speed.

mtbr member
    SoMo is a recreational area. Typical rules of the road do not necessarily apply there and cars need to be extremly aware of bikes on the road. Passing close on the summit road is never cool. there are plenty of spots where you can pass without risking a head on collosions with a roadie. that example just does not work.
    This is a city park road. Not a city street. it is for recreation purposes and to get to the TV towers only. Driving over 30 even to pass somone in the park is not cool ever.

Master Gardener
    3' between vehicles is the law on public roads in Arizona. Even in a park.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I like donuts....oops wrong thread again.

mtbr member
    Peleton!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Peleton!
    Is it LeMond or Lemond?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Is it LeMond or Lemond?
    Its Yourmom.

Read your emails.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Its Yourmom.

Read your emails.
    your hotmail has failed.

mtbr member
    your hotmail has failed.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    SoMo is a recreational area. Typical rules of the road do not necessarily apply there and cars need to be extremly aware of bikes on the road. Passing close on the summit road is never cool. there are plenty of spots where you can pass without risking a head on collosions with a roadie. that example just does not work.
    This is a city park road. Not a city street. it is for recreation purposes and to get to the TV towers only. Driving over 30 even to pass somone in the park is not cool ever.

I agree its a recreational area, but the areas you claim are "without risk" ( I am assuming the long straight away's just past San Juan and the other just past Telegraph) are actually the worst spots to pass because you have your oncoming peletons reaching their terminal velocity of nearly 50mph. (yes, I paced 2 roadies coming down in front of me at 50mph at one time just up from telegraph.)

Cutting lanes at 20mph over the posted speed limit on a bike is not cool ever too, yet I see team Landis and Swiss American out there doing it 4 days a week.

Maybe they should just close the summit road to roadies except for on Silent Sundays, and only allow them on San Juan Rd. They are obnoxious, rude and a danger to the general public trying to access the park.

(See, the argument against downhiller's can just as easily be flipped around.)

sprocket

only when it suits you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    only when it suits you.
    Peleton!

banned

.... Some of mountain bikers, especially the ones who believe that you have to earn it to burn it, often ride our road rigs for fitness.
    I was in the passenger seat of said Tacoma. If you did more fitness rides to slim down, we wouldn't get so close to you. By the way, we were a good 4 feet away. I know because my long arms were sticking out trying to whack you and I missed; no really I wasn't going to whack you, but we were not close at all.

We earn our burns when the weather permits. Some of us have jobs and that means that we can only do a few quickies before hand. You must have made a fortune on the housing boom since obviously you don't have to do any meaningful activities outside of the pelaton that is going on in your head.

You could always join the Tuesday morning roadie shuttle... they might be on to something.

sixsixtysix
    only when it suits you.
    Oh great, we attracted the peanut gallery...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    I agree with Sixty on this. Majority of the time we are just trying to get around you as quick as possible before another car or rider coming down hit's us in the other lane.
    Just to add. Majority of the time that I have driven up or even down the road the rider never gives enough room for a car to get around or even have the comon courtesty to pull over especially on the up climbs for cars to get through. Imagine cars are like other riders. If you are going too slow on up climb don't you pull off a good amount to let the passing faster rider pass you so that you don't hinder they progress? Well it should go the same cars that are basically driving up the hill in idle speed behind you as you don't look back nor acknowledge that you know we are behind you. Espcially those with ipods balsting away in there ears not knowing what is going on around them. Those are the worse ones. They are oblivious to who is behind them and who they are holding up.

Slower traffic in right lane.......for this particular situations slower traffic should pull over or make way.
    I'm not really sure how I feel about this. As a cyclist, I feel it's my right to be on the same road as a car, and if a car has to wait behind a slow cyclist to let cars in the opposite direction pass, so be it. However, as a driver, I friggin hate when I see cyclists 2 and 3 across, riding half way in the road (although I've done this on many occasions).

I guess my only comment is, why the need to get around a rider "as quick as possible before another car or rider coming down hit's us in the other lane"? That road is straight enough that you can see if a car or rider is approaching, and if one is, why not just slow down until they pass? I think asking a cyclist to pull over (and stop?) if they are going slow is unrealistic. The road is wide enough for both a car AND a cyslist. Expecting the cyclist to stop and let every car that approaches them pass is silly. If you're not suggesting they stop, yes, I think expecting them to get as far right is reasonable.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

sprocket
    Oh great, we attracted the peanut gallery...

you must be doing something right then.

banned
    only when it suits you.

kinda like the day when you were racing to the peleton and elbowed me off the 51 bike path while I was descending

mtbr member
    Yeah, we already moved waaaaay over to pass your wife. We were NOT one foot away!!!
    Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    kinda like the day when you were racing to the peleton and elbowed me off the 51 bike path while I was descending
    sure, I did that because it suited me. WTF not? Everyone for himself.

mtbr member

Yes I agree. it is exactly the same argument. Roadies are causing way too much erosion to the pavement with their off trail riding and building of jumps on the road.

sixsixtysix
    this about sums up the fighting in this thread...

Fruitiest Fight Ever - Cyclists Going At It - Awesome video clips here

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Yes I agree. it is exactly the same argument. Roadies are causing way too much erosion to the pavement with their off trail riding and building of jumps on the road.

Sorry, but I am pretty sure our little "erosion group" has logged more trail work hours around this state than just about anyone else on the mountain.

Try again...

mtbr member

360, why apologize for the comments you made in the heat of the moment? Most of us on this site agree that you should earn your downhill by riding your bike uphill!!!!!!!!! There is absolutely no place in biking for Downhillers

banned
    erosion in the desert. That's one of my favorites.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    There is absolutely no place in biking for spandexers
    FTFY.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    Yeah, we already moved waaaaay over to pass your wife. We were NOT one foot away!!!
    Were they riding two abreast? If so, I have no symphathys for the OP. Roadies should be riding single file on that road...

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

your hotmail has failed.
    Told him that months ago!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Isn't this mtbr not rbr. I earn my burns by sweating my a$$ off at my physically demanding job to pay for a 42lb 7" travel bike which I have no desire to pedal uphill. But try to keep up on the downs with that seatpost giving you a colonoscopy.

******ed or Branded??
    We're they riding two abreast? If so, I have no symphathys for the OP. Roadies should be riding single file on that road...

Majority of all roadies there, unless they are alone, are riding two, three, even seen four abreast!!!! Then the ones that are alone have there Ipod blasting which they can't hear a car behind them. Untill they either honk or rev there engine and then the roadie get's piss cause they were trying to get his attention in a so call rude manner. But if you ain't listening then that 's whatyou get!!!

Those are the ones that make it difficult to pass and they can't have the common courtesy to get in to single file for us to make our pass. I usually don't have a problem with them if they are in single file and I make room when i pass hence the reason of what I said earlier. We basically get into the oncoming lane and that's where the problem lays with other drivers and other riders. If you know a car/truck is behind you make it possible to pass or even possible for it to not turn out bad by just pulling off for a split second it takes for them to pass you. This way you can practice some track standing.....

Even thought this is a recreation area road you still have to make way for the fast traffic be it another cyclist which I know you would have since they are on your arse or a vechile.

Common sense and courtesy is what this going to take to fix this. If you show a little I will garuntee you will see it back good or bad!
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5
    Isn't this mtbr not rbr. I earn my burns by sweating my a$$ off at my physically demanding job to pay for a 42lb 7" travel bike which I have no desire to pedal uphill. But try to keep up on the downs with that seatpost giving you a colonoscopy.
    I love the "Earn Your Turns" crowd, they have a well rounded view of downhill as a sport and cycling as a whole.

mtbr member
    FTFY.
    FTFY? WFT? I had to Google that. And for the record, I only wear spandex while on the trainer, while watching the TdF.

mtbr member
    Majority of all roadies there, unless they are alone, are riding two, three, even seen four abreast!!!! Then the ones that are alone have there Ipod blasting which they can't hear a car behind them. Untill they either honk or rev there engine and then the roadie get's piss cause they were trying to get his attention in a so call rude manner. But if you ain't listening then that 's whatyou get!!!

Those are the ones that make it difficult to pass and they can't have the common courtesy to get in to single file for us to make our pass. I usually don't have a problem with them if they are in single file and I make room when i pass hence the reason of what I said earlier. We basically get into the oncoming lane and that's where the problem lays with other drivers and other riders. If you know a car/truck is behind you make it possible to pass or even possible for it to not turn out bad by just pulling off for a split second it takes for them to pass you. This way you can practice some track standing.....

Even thought this is a recreation area road you still have to make way for the fast traffic be it another cyclist which I know you would have since they are on your arse or a vechile.

Common sense and courtesy is what this going to take to fix this. If you show a little I will garuntee you will see it back good or bad!
    I assume you've never road biked? It's boring as hell, and they (we?) need some kind of entertainment, whether it be music or conversation .

Yes, agree in common sense and courtesy. Like I tried to say above: it's viewed differently depending on if you're the biker or the motorist.

sixsixtysix
    FTFY? WFT? I had to Google that. And for the record, I only wear spandex while on the trainer, while watching the TdF.

OMGWTFBBQ! Come On... You aren't up on the latest form of the English language, "Texting"?

Spandex is fine, as long as it stays indoors and I don't have to see you smuggling plums. If I wanted to see that, I just need to ask Kavu to do his "Put the lotion on the skin" impersonation.

sixsixtysix
    It's boring as hell
    Amen!

Put a little spice in your life, get a DH bike and enjoy 8 inches in the rear!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    666 Nice vid, not often u see roadies throw down - wonder if any spandex was torn. Oh, that's right - wrong thread!!!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    666 Nice vid, not often u see roadies throw down - wonder if any spandex was torn. Oh, that's right - wrong thread!!!

I love the fact that neither of them lands a punch.

mtbr member
    OMGWTFBBQ! Come On... You aren't up on the latest form of the English language, "Texting"?

Spandex is fine, as long as it stays indoors and I don't have to see you smuggling plums. If I wanted to see that, I just need to ask Kavu to do his "Put the lotion on the skin" impersonation.
    Riding down Maryland on my Fat Chance, passed a roadie (light was green, he had been waiting for it). I could hear him coming up behind, so I let him go (don't have the gears to keep ahead of a road bike). He came up along side and we chatted, no prob. Cool guy. Anyways, he pulls ahead of me and I make the mistake of looking up. His lycra is so worn its basically see-through. So I get to see gyrating man @ss...hooray. I stopped and let him go.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything, but I had to share it, if only to let the healing begin.

I've ridden up South Mountain in traffic before, on my DH bike. I would not do that again. It was scary. I used to ride road all the time and I'm not afraid of traffic - that time I was. I can't see what enjoyment you get out of it.

And its not the shuttlers roadies should be concerned about...its the tourists, snowbirds and homies that chill at Dobbins and pound 40's before driving their Impalas back down the road at 60

So good luck to you roadies.

mtbr member
    Girlfight!

mtbr member
    Amen!

Put a little spice in your life, get a DH bike and enjoy 8 inches in the rear!
    I have a "downhill" bike. Actually, probably not at the level you guys ride, but 6" front and back, and 40lbs (Kona Coiler Deluxe). I don't want to sound "snobby," but I'm one of those that actually enjoys climbing up more that down (has a lot to do with wussie factor however).

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Riding down Maryland on my Fat Chance, passed a roadie (light was green, he had been waiting for it). I could hear him coming up behind, so I let him go (don't have the gears to keep ahead of a road bike). He came up along side and we chatted, no prob. Cool guy. Anyways, he pulls ahead of me and I make the mistake of looking up. His lycra is so worn its basically see-through. So I get to see gyrating man @ss...hooray. I stopped and let him go.
    Please don't ever tell that story again.

King Cobra fo life.

mtbr member
    Please don't ever tell that story again.

King Cobra fo life.
    lmao

Fo sho yo.
    KING cobra.
    best consumed warm before droppin' into the GNAR

One of these days I'm totally going to vomit in my helmet...

Oh yeah: Peleton!
    Freetard for life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Told him that months ago!
    Quiet you!

sprocket
    [QUOTE=KavuRider]Riding down Maryland on my Fat Chance, passed a roadie (light was green, he had been waiting for it). I could hear him coming up behind, so I let him go (don't have the gears to keep ahead of a road bike). He came up along side and we chatted, no prob. Cool guy. Anyways, he pulls ahead of me and I make the mistake of looking up. His lycra is so worn its basically see-through. So I get to see gyrating man @ss...hooray. I stopped and let him go.

that was me.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=yetisurly]

that was me.
    No, this guy wasn't a tool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    hahah 666 likes 8 inches in his rear

does a rodie need to pull over to let cars pass at somo when going the speed limit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88mustanggt
    hahah 666 likes 8 inches in his rear

does a rodie need to pull over to let cars pass at somo when going the speed limit?
    First show me a roadie who can do the speed limit going UP.
    Then show me one who can stay on their side of the road going Down.

Then we can proceed.

sprocket
    [QUOTE=KavuRider]

No, this guy wasn't a tool.
    are you threatening me? shall we take this outside?

mtbr member
    Were they riding two abreast? If so, I have no symphathys for the OP. Roadies should be riding single file on that road...
    Actually I think they can ride with two breasts, however sticking to the righthand curb confuses this.
    The actuall law says sumpin like:

28-815. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths; prohibition of motor vehicle traffic on bike paths

A. A person riding a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the righthand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

• 1. If overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

• 2. If preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

• 3. If reasonably necessary to avoid conditions, including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals or surface hazards.

• 4. If the lane in which the person is operating the bicycle is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

B. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadway set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    not arguing there. just saying if they stay on there side going down.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88mustanggt
    not arguing there. just saying if they stay on there side going down.....
    Whenever we ride, we almost always let the roadies go ahead on the way down the road, as they go crazy fast, like 40 or 50. I don't drive that fast down the road.

Kathleen in AZ
    Am I going to have to go this weekend and stage some "HOW TO" and "HOW NOT TO" photos for passing roadies on the SoMo paved roads so that we can all get a picture in our minds of acceptable and unacceptable passing behavior? Maybe I can also capture acceptable and unacceptable roadie riding.

Unfortunately, I just can't do it this weekend or next because I'll be at Whistler!! Hahaha. Enjoy the heat and squabbles on the mountain boys and girls.... I'm outa here!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Am I going to have to go this weekend and stage some "HOW TO" and "HOW NOT TO" photos for passing roadies on the SoMo paved roads so that we can all get a picture in our minds of acceptable and unacceptable passing behavior (and roadie riding behavior)?
    I really wish you wouldn't...

Have fun in Whistgnar.

sixsixtysix
    I have a "downhill" bike. Actually, probably not at the level you guys ride, but 6" front and back, and 40lbs (Kona Coiler Deluxe). I don't want to sound "snobby," but I'm one of those that actually enjoys climbing up more that down (has a lot to do with wussie factor however).

Thats why I laugh, my "Big" bike is 6.75" of travel in the back, I just have 8" in the front so I can ride like a shopping cart and chose to wear a full face helmet because I would prefer to keep my teeth so that makes me a "downhiller".

Everyone likes to overlook the fact that every "Downhiller" I know and ride with also own 5-6" AM bikes, and pedal their a$$es off all the time, many of us 5-6 days a week. Or the fact that a lot of us own and ride XC bikes, Hard Tails and Road bikes. But as soon as you purchase that 7" or bigger bike, a full face and some armor, your a downhiller and the crusades begin.

I really think everyone needs to get over themselves and this excuse of "I earn my turns" when in fact it often times masks the fact that most riders are not that well rounded when it comes to technical riding so they look down at people who are actually using and enjoying the ability to ride just about anything in front of them with "Well I Earn My Turns..." Guess what, we earned ours too, with a lot of sweat just like you do, but also with a lot of spilled blood, broken bones, surgeries and for an unfortunate few, even worse.

Maybe if people started pushing their own limits a little bit rather than just looking at "downhillers" as pot smoking, adrenaline junkies, they would see that riding very technical terrain, at very high speeds makes every other style of riding you may do just that much easier. Maybe its the "Earn Your Turns" crowd who needs to step outside their own little sheltered box and push themselves a little further. Its only skin, blood and bone. It all grows back.

mtbr member
    The reality is, I know all of these guys, and I don't believe they were trying to be reckless or childish. The road up to BV is not straight, nor is it, "straight enough."
    I would imagine that most of the "uphill elitists" don't know what it's like driving up this road. So, until you start shuttling with us, you won't really know how crazy it is.
    Luckily, only feelings were hurt today.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

Unfortunately, I just can't do it this weekend or next because I'll be at Whistler!!

DOWNHILLER!!!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!

Just kidding, rip it up in Whistler! We want to see pics of the Lunchbox catching some hang time on "A-Line" and bombing the chutes on "Original Sin"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This is retarded. Why is there even an argument here? Oh, I know, because SoMo is just like everywhere else apparently. Like my neighborhood, where a dozen teens on bikes can fly through a stop sign right in front of a cop with impunity, but I get pulled over a block from my house for not having lights at dusk.

The HUGE issue here is "selective enforcement"... everyone knows that some people obey the rules of the road, and others do not. But when everyone on a bike basically gets a free pass to break the law most of the time, this becomes acceptable behavior amongst the cycling community... to the disdain of everyone else!

Bicycles are vehicles, and when they are ridden on the road, rules of the road should apply. I'm going to print out about 150 copies of the ADOT webpage that addresses this issue and post them around town. And yes, I'm going to advocate equal treatment for cars and bicycles... which means stop signs, right-of-way, yielding, traffic lights, speed limits, lights, and all. I've seen too many close calls... what looks like a fairly strong cyclist sailing through traffic breaking every rule of the road in the process, and almost gets taken out by two pick-up trucks and a semi... do you have a family, dude? are you suicidal? wtf?

Then again, if you posted a cop in my front yard and he actually ticketed half of the drivers blowing through stop signs and doing 30mph through a school zone, Flagstaff's budget problems might just vanish.

Come on people, argue all you like... but the problem isn't going to be solved until laws are enforced and people are educated.

******ed or Branded??
    are you threatening me? shall we take this outside?

No but he is just stating a fact!!

Hmm is this going there. I would like to have a part of the festivites!!!

sprocket
    No but he is just stating a fact!!

By the way if you looking to wrestle outside give me a hollar I'd be more than happy to entertain you and give your medical insurance something to do during our reccession!
    WRESTLE?
    I am talking about guns.

******ed or Branded??
    WRESTLE?
    I am talking about guns.
    Now that's a wuss

but I am more than happy to prep my arsenal and point it your way!

mtbr member
    I love the fact that neither of them lands a punch.
    imagine if that spinning backfist would have connected. SOLID. Watch out Shoney Carter.

Mike-e
    To all the roadies out there, go ride to Tortilla Flat by Canyon lake, its a waaay better ride than SoMo any way.
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewT...x?tripId=83927

sixsixtysix
    Roadies always follow traffic laws. Well Mexican traffic laws...

mtbr member
    First show me a roadie who can do the speed limit going UP.
    Then show me one who can stay on their side of the road going Down.

Then we can proceed.

This thread sounds like all the whiny hikers that complain about mountain bikers.

Seriously this bashing roadies crap is dumb. Is it really that hard to pass someone going 10 mph? I think a driver in any vehicle is capable of doing that. I have to sympathize with the OP

mtbr member
    holy sh*t....

Hey that was me that was driving the silver yota and I was well over the DOUBLE YELLOW lines to pass both you and yer wife in a FAST yet respectable way, in NO WAY am i out to buzz,blast,push any riders of the road be it a road,recumbent,scooters,joggers,mtb's etc.... if I recall you and your wife looked back and saw me over your left shoulders so...A) you heard me,B) you saw me,C) you both were like a 1/4 way in the road...don't blame you cause theres allot of wash out on the roads.....funny point, why dont you roadies do some road clean up and put in labor cleaning up that road and trash.????instead of just being a NON ACTIVE USER GROUP that b*tchs about this and that to get a bike lane, then not even adopt it, and make it better....LAMEST USER GROUP I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS..

Please.....give me a break on "you gata earn it" save it, you have no idea who I am and what type of riding I do, instead you jump to conclusions and "A*S"ume that we are just blazers that don't pedal. I don't need to blow my chest up and typ harder to prove who I am to you er anyone eles...In my book TWO WHEELS HEALS no matter what you ride, er how you ride it.

Next I passed you on the way up in my truck..not on the way down, someone else was driving and I cant speak for that person, and do apologize if this was the case...

Next when you saw us on the side of the road loading up and you came by shouting at us this and that and blah blah blah... you gata earn it BS, why didnt you stop like an man...HUMAN, equals and let us in on YOUR feelings on what you thought we did wrong instead of BLAH BLAH BLAH with your face all red looking like a dumb arss with your wife...feel sorry fer her cause she was like in front of you.. and I do not apologize for F bombing you.

I really don't get why roadies like to battle cars.....your gonna lose...face it. If you are a lill uneasy with cars/trucks passing you in some manner with out a bike lane then dont ride that road..its a two lane road with no shoulder, no bike lane with very lill room to move by anyone on bike er foot. Why not ride the road that goes out to the far west end of the park with the road closed NO TRAFIC,nice down with a nice climb back er wait till silent Sundays to ride the road to the top....that is why they did that, for the ROADIES and joggers..all these other user groups have events, have bike lanes, get more xc trails built, skate parks built etc.....but very lill outlets for the gravity group to have a safe, fun place to ride in town with out having to head out to the middle of nowhere 4 hrs away just to enjoy our sport.

I have no hard feelings towards you, I said what I felt at the time with no regrets and now its over, we all had a great ride.

Spank's

NardoSS

If it's not a good place for a car/truck to pass you when riding road going uphill then move close to the center line and hold out your left arm with your palm facing back. For example, a blind right turn. They try to pass, here come a car, and you end up being merged into the wall. Since you're up front, let them know when it's good to pass you by signaling to them and getting back to the right side. I've prevented a few accidents thus far. Cars can't pass me on the way down and there is no need to cross the yellow seeing as how there is no prize on the bottom.

The fk if I care if a car is in a hurry to get up the mountain only to park and look down at the city. It's not like it's going anywhere. And those driving late to watch the sunset should have left earlier...I'm still not going to let you pass if it endangers me.

I've had more issues with shuttles racing back down and driving haphazardly than going up. Usually they're pretty cool.

You guys can go back and forth on this downhillers debate but most pros all train on road bikes as well and wear spandex.

dirt debutaunte
    Seriously guys. Man up!
    Just apologize for blowing by a fellow biker who was working really freaking hard to bust it up the hill while you were cracking fart jokes in the back of a pickup. None of this, "maybe we weren't right, but one time someone did this to me and I can justify my action with some lame fodder for the dh vs. xc vs. roadie debate."

1) You know you were probably too close.
    2) You know you were driving way too fast up and down.
    3) Just because you know every curve on that road doesn't make it safe or right.

I almost joined the shuttle this morning, but saw from the thread that it was a bit crowded. Maybe next time.

But, as someone who would have LIKED to be in that truck, sorry 360. We'll try to be more careful next time.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o
    holy sh*t....

Hey that was me that was driving the silver yota and I was well over the DOUBLE YELLOW lines to pass both you and yer wife in a FAST yet respectable way, in NO WAY am i out to buzz,blast,push any riders of the road be it a road,recumbent,scooters,joggers,mtb's etc.... if I recall you and your wife looked back and saw me over your left shoulders so...A) you heard me,B) you saw me,C) you both were like a 1/4 way in the road...don't blame you cause theres allot of wash out on the roads.....funny point, why dont you roadies do some road clean up and put in labor cleaning up that road and trash.????instead of just being a NON ACTIVE USER GROUP that b*tchs about this and that to get a bike lane, then not even adopt it, and make it better....LAMEST USER GROUP I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS..

Please.....give me a break on "you gata earn it" save it, you have no idea who I am and what type of riding I do, instead you jump to conclusions and "A*S"ume that we are just blazers that don't pedal. I don't need to blow my chest up and typ harder to prove who I am to you er anyone eles...In my book TWO WHEELS HEALS no matter what you ride, er how you ride it.

Next I passed you on the way up in my truck..not on the way down, someone else was driving and I cant speak for that person, and do apologize if this was the case...

Next when you saw us on the side of the road loading up and you came by shouting at us this and that and blah blah blah... you gata earn it BS, why didnt you stop like an man...HUMAN, equals and let us in on YOUR feelings on what you thought we did wrong instead of BLAH BLAH BLAH with your face all red looking like a dumb arss with your wife...feel sorry fer her cause she was like in front of you.. and I do not apologize for F bombing you.

I really don't get why roadies like to battle cars.....your gonna lose...face it. If you are a lill uneasy with cars/trucks passing you in some manner with out a bike lane then dont ride that road..its a two lane road with no shoulder, no bike lane with very lill room to move by anyone on bike er foot. Why not ride the road that goes out to the far west end of the park with the road closed NO TRAFIC,nice down with a nice climb back er wait till silent Sundays to ride the road to the top....that is why they did that, for the ROADIES and joggers..all these other user groups have events, have bike lanes, get more xc trails built, skate parks built etc.....but very lill outlets for the gravity group to have a safe, fun place to ride in town with out having to head out to the middle of nowhere 4 hrs away just to enjoy our sport.

I have no hard feelings towards you, I said what I felt at the time with no regrets and now its over, we all had a great ride.

Spank's

Amen

mtbr member
    amen!
    Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Wow, this post certainly did attract a lot of attention . . . I had to take notes to respond to some of this.

I like donuts too but don't eat them because they get in the way of the absorption of the beer.

Next, it’s “peloton”, not peleton, pelaton, or any other huuked on pahoniks spelling y’all came up with.

Now to address some specific comments: Cesslinger – PHUK you for your fat comment and if you knew anything about road riding you’d understand that at riders change positions in line all the time. And your comment about earning it when the weather permits . . .what the hell do you think I was doing . . .pedaling when the weather permitted – in the morning. And as for your ignorant comment about what I do for a living, what does that have to do with ANYTHING IN THIS STRING.

To Skinny – thanks for backing me up, but my comments to the group this morning were unnecessary. As a matter of fact, if someone would have said that to me, I would have responded just as Smoken did – with a big F U. I should have stopped, as Smoken’ suggested, and intelligently and calmly voiced my opinion. In fact, one of the guys originally responded with a “you got it” – in a good natured tone.

Which brings me to Smoken’s post . . .dude, you DID drive past me VERY close at WAY over the posted limit. And we weren’t riding side by side, I DIDN’T look back to see you, I didn’t have an iPod in and I WAS as far right as I could get and you gave me no warning whatsoever. And as for the guys driving down the hill, they actually did give a wide enough berth, and passed when it was straight. However, I was still going over the speed limit and they should have had a little more patience. Also, about your comment about being a non-active user group – funny you should say that because we’ve recently contacted SoMo and asked if we could sponsor a real Phukin water fountain. Of course, there’s no way you could have known that.

REGARDLESS, I do sincerely apologize for my comment this morning. That was very childish on my part, and I wish I could have been more adult about it. I know its hard work riding down those trails, and what I said was stupid to the core.

Lastly, I am FIRST and FOREMOST, a mountain biker. I started racing in 1992 and didn’t buy a road bike until 1998. Now, I own 2 mountain bikes (1993 Titus FCR; 2007 Kona Dawg Deluxe) and one road bike (a Fetish something-or-another). And I am MORE THAN WILLING to ride my bike to the top of South Mountain and race your beer-swillin’ @$$ (that part was a compliment) down the mountain. I won’t even wear that suit of armor you guys are so proud of. I probably won’t win, but I’ll try! And assuming we don’t come to blows at the end of it because of this BS, I’ll even share my beer with you.

P.S. – I am happy you had a nice ride. Being pissed at you guys helped me ride my route in the fastest time I’ve posted in 2 months – thanks for the incentive.

Shred...it's the new drug
    This wins the award for funniest thread ever!!! One guy who gets a little peeved by some guys having some fun who only posts once and then 50 other people chiming in on the situation. We obviously shuttle almost every wed. morning and we alway pass roadies on the way up and down the mountain doing their thing on a weekday morning. We understand that roadies will be on the road and have to pay attention to them up and down so we don't smack square into one or ping one off the side of the truck into the exposure below. Hopefully roadies understand that they need to pay attention to trucks, cars, honey wagons, dump trucks and all other vehicles that use the road in one way or another so they don't smack square into one or get pinged of the side of one into the exposure below. We try our best to be civil with all roadies and even wave as we pass, most wave, others don't and only ONE guy in the history of the wed. mornin' shuttle who flips us off on the way by and complains to us later about us driving too close. Thats like a .0001%er. So to the tie dyed man and women couple who we may have buzzed to close, I apologize, but you gotta man up and take the responibility of riding on the road into your own hands. If you don't like cars, ride your mountain bike. I wouldn't be caught dead riding my bike on that road, it's too scary, too many crazy drivers. Oh yeah, by the way, thanks for the funniest thing to happen to us all morning. Steveo yelling "Hey, f-you" as you ride by b!tching and moaning. I'm still laughing about that one Did you make it a point to educate and b!tch out every other car that drove by you today? or were we just the easy target because we were on the side of the road getting ready to go rip it up again? Enjoy your day...at least you got to ride

mtbr member
    please read my above post the very last sentence..

"I have no hard feelings towards you, I said what I felt at the time with no regrets and now its over, we all had a great ride.

Spank's"

I think that's pretty clear.

I'm just really floored that 360 felt the need to post this...man talk about anger management,there was like a 2 hr window after all this BS and he still felt the need to post.

OK boys,to those that were in my truck while I was driving please feel free to bust my balls if I was in the wrong.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    OK boys,to those that were in my truck while I was driving please feel free to bust my balls if I was in the wrong.
    All I heard was toyo silver taco and was wondering who stole my truck for shuttles this morning.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    This wins the award for funniest thread ever!!! One guy who gets a little peeved by some guys having some fun who only posts once and then 50 other people chiming in on the situation. We obviously shuttle almost every wed. morning and we alway pass roadies on the way up and down the mountain doing their thing on a weekday morning. We understand that roadies will be on the road and have to pay attention to them up and down so we don't smack square into one or ping one off the side of the truck into the exposure below. Hopefully roadies understand that they need to pay attention to trucks, cars, honey wagons, dump trucks and all other vehicles that use the road in one way or another so they don't smack square into one or get pinged of the side of one into the exposure below. We try our best to be civil with all roadies and even wave as we pass, most wave, others don't and only ONE guy in the history of the wed. mornin' shuttle who flips us off on the way by and complains to us later about us driving too close. Thats like a .0001%er. So to the tie dyed man and women couple who we may have buzzed to close, I apologize, but you gotta man up and take the responibility of riding on the road into your own hands. If you don't like cars, ride your mountain bike. I wouldn't be caught dead riding my bike on that road, it's too scary, too many crazy drivers. Oh yeah, by the way, thanks for the funniest thing to happen to us all morning. Steveo yelling "Hey, f-you" as you ride by b!tching and moaning. I'm still laughing about that one Did you make it a point to educate and b!tch out every other car that drove by you today? or were we just the easy target because we were on the side of the road getting ready to go rip it up again? Enjoy your day...at least you got to ride
    Yea, that comment to you guys this morning was not one of my most glorious moments. My apologies. And I would have replied F U to someone saying, what I said, to me too.

No, I didn't ***** out every car I saw - just you guys because I knew it was your group that buzzed me that morning.

Again, my apologies for my "earn it" comment.

Master Gardener
    Wow- some of you harbor a lot of resentment toward road riders and commuters, who are fellow cyclists, by the way. I have no doubt that the way you drive is colored by your resentment.

mtbr member
    Wow, this post certainly did attract a lot of attention . . . I had to take notes to respond to some of this.

I like donuts too but don't eat them because they get in the way of the absorption of the beer.

Next, it’s “peloton”, not peleton, pelaton, or any other huuked on pahoniks spelling y’all came up with.

Now to address some specific comments: Cesslinger – PHUK you for your fat comment and if you knew anything about road riding you’d understand that at riders change positions in line all the time. And your comment about earning it when the weather permits . . .what the hell do you think I was doing . . .pedaling when the weather permitted – in the morning. And as for your ignorant comment about what I do for a living, what does that have to do with ANYTHING IN THIS STRING.

To Skinny – thanks for backing me up, but my comments to the group this morning were unnecessary. As a matter of fact, if someone would have said that to me, I would have responded just as Smoken did – with a big F U. I should have stopped, as Smoken’ suggested, and intelligently and calmly voiced my opinion. In fact, one of the guys originally responded with a “you got it” – in a good natured tone.

Which brings me to Smoken’s post . . .dude, you DID drive past me VERY close at WAY over the posted limit. And we weren’t riding side by side, I DIDN’T look back to see you, I didn’t have an iPod in and I WAS as far right as I could get and you gave me no warning whatsoever. And as for the guys driving down the hill, they actually did give a wide enough berth, and passed when it was straight. However, I was still going over the speed limit and they should have had a little more patience. Also, about your comment about being a non-active user group – funny you should say that because we’ve recently contacted SoMo and asked if we could sponsor a real Phukin water fountain. Of course, there’s no way you could have known that.

REGARDLESS, I do sincerely apologize for my comment this morning. That was very childish on my part, and I wish I could have been more adult about it. I know its hard work riding down those trails, and what I said was stupid to the core.

Lastly, I am FIRST and FOREMOST, a mountain biker. I started racing in 1992 and didn’t buy a road bike until 1998. Now, I own 2 mountain bikes (1993 Titus FCR; 2007 Kona Dawg Deluxe) and one road bike (a Fetish something-or-another). And I am MORE THAN WILLING to ride my bike to the top of South Mountain and race your beer-swillin’ @$$ (that part was a compliment) down the mountain. I won’t even wear that suit of armor you guys are so proud of. I probably won’t win, but I’ll try! And assuming we don’t come to blows at the end of it because of this BS, I’ll even share my beer with you.

P.S. – I am happy you had a nice ride. Being pissed at you guys helped me ride my route in the fastest time I’ve posted in 2 months – thanks for the incentive.
    Just a quick response, as I didn't read this entire thing...yet, but I was not backing you up. I was being sarcastic. But after reading some of the responses from those involved, including Steve, I'm guessing you're blowing this way out of proportion, and if you and your wife were indeed riding in the road, you have no reason to complain (especially if Steve was on the other side of the road himself).

banned
    Someone is a little touchy with their body fat percentage. I have a different skill that I can help you learn, it starts with b and ends with arfing; do it after every meal and watch the lbs melt away.

Occidental Tourist
    This just reaffirms my opinion that there are way too many ignorant and selfish drivers out there and sadly many of them are cyclists.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

I am Walt
    I have not been trail running at SoMo recently...
    Ride more; post less...

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    please read my above post the very last sentence..

"I have no hard feelings towards you, I said what I felt at the time with no regrets and now its over, we all had a great ride.

Spank's"

I think that's pretty clear.

I'm just really floored that 360 felt the need to post this...man talk about anger management,there was like a 2 hr window after all this BS and he still felt the need to post.

Um - that 2 hour window was because I had other things to do than rush to my computer and post. It also gave me a moment to consider your side - which is why my original post included an apology!

Meatbomb
    Some situations require more than a thrown elbow.... Diesel smoke is more appropriate here.

mtbr member

like I stated no hard feelings.

and if you really feel like a race will make you feel better in some way please let me know when and where and I'll be there with beers to share as well...im a lover not a fighter, only stike if strucken.

Im done with this time hole......

Chuck, play nice.

AKA shitbird
    The more time I spend on mtbr lately the less I like anything related to biking.

I think this heat is melting away everyone's mind and driving all of us to bitter insanity (myself included).
    JRA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Wow- some of you harbor a lot of resentment toward road riders and commuters, who are fellow cyclists, by the way. I have no doubt that the way you drive is colored by your resentment.
    Well, I don't drive... but I have a fair bit of resentment toward drivers and cyclists when they do stupid sh!t that make it dangerous to be on public roads. I ride everyday. And when my family goes anywhere, we go on the bikes, and that includes both kids. We see enough in the average month to start an unlimited number of threads like this...

I've lived in some places where I wouldn't dare yell out at a car that passed too close... road rage usually ends in unpleasantness, especially if you are on the receiving end of a bullet or a bumper.

We learn to be paranoid... we learn to be observant... we learn to expect to get cut off at certain intersections... we learn to yield the right of way to pedestrians and @$$h0les alike.

Last time I checked, the DMV has a section on this in the drivers manual called 'defensive driving.' Maybe more drivers, on two wheels and four, should pay attention... not only to the actual rules of the road, but the proper way to react when others break them.

bottom line: there's a lot of bad drivers out there, whether they are on two wheels or four. The primary difference is a couple thousand pounds of metal. If a cyclist passes a car too close, it may scratch your paint job. If a car passes said cyclist too close, the cyclist could die.

It doesn't change the fact that bike vs car can occur with either party at fault for the accident... just generally doesn't work out well for the guy on the bike regardless.

Shred...it's the new drug
    The sun is melting our brains!!!

thisportistoodamnexpensiv
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    This just reaffirms my opinion that there are way too many ignorant and selfish drivers out there and sadly many of them are cyclists.
    WTF?

This doesn't reaffirm sh1t.

We have the people in the car saying they weren't very close, and the cyclist saying they were too close. It's one group's word against another's, and as far as anyone outside of those two groups is concerned, they don't know which one was in the wrong.

Give three feet to roadies, and roadies don't complain 'cause someone doesn't give you a whole car length. /thread
    REAL MEN LOVE JESUS!!! (...but only when the wife's out of town)

banned
    Peleton!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    The more time I spend on mtbr lately the less I like anything related to biking.

I think this heat is melting away everyone's mind and driving all of us to bitter insanity (myself included).
    Agreed.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRosie
    WTF?

This doesn't reaffirm sh1t.

We have the people in the car saying they weren't very close, and the cyclist saying they were too close. It's one group's word against another's, and as far as anyone outside of those two groups is concerned, they don't know which one was in the wrong.

Give three feet to roadies, and roadies don't complain 'cause someone doesn't give you a whole car length. /thread
    I can't say anything about what happened since I wasn't there but some comments by some posters seem to display some less than savory attitudes towards fellow cyclists.

I could also be reading too much into it and I hope that's the case.

I'm good with 3 feet and I'm a little pissed I didn't catch the f'ers that threw rocks at me yesterday on my ride home.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

banned
    Mike Rosie... what up Dog. Going to pump trizzle tomorrow?

parenting for gnarness
    I've been riding Tortilla a lot recently, along with Saguaro Lake, and its funny you can *mostly* work towards your own safety by smartly positioning yourself when you do and dont want to let a car pass, and by communicating. Most cars will not try to go around you if you are in the center of a narrow road like Somo road, and most cars will respect your concerns if you make it clear you know they are there. The worst thing you can do as a roadie is temp a car to pass by getting all the way to the right in a blind curve. This is what I think Nardo was saying.

if as a roadie you are not letting a car pass just to be passive aggressive, you deserve to get buzzed. if you ride 2 abreast on a crowded road like Somo, you deserve to get buzzed. share the trail, as it were. if you cross the center line, god help you - you are as bad as the selfish mtbr who almost cause accidents cause they dont want to ruin their downhill flow.

If I felt like I did get buzzed, and then saw the folks at the top, I absolutely would have said something cause rarely do you get the opportunity. I would have been assertive, but starting out at a group of dudes with "FU earn your turns" is stupid and self-righteous. I also think some people think they are giving more room than they are, and some people think things are closer than they are. Dont know what happened here, just sayin' that it is common.

And now to throw some more gas on the fire, I got buzzed by a cop in high speed pursuit last weekend coming out of Tortilla Flat, and it was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me on a road bike. If he had an offleash dog and was smoking pot, this thread would be perfect.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Peleton!
    Pelican!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What the hell is a peleton? Sounds kinda ghey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0