SoCaler's SoMo Experience...Epic! (Pics)- Mtbr.com
    Your Imaginary Friend

Good job! SoCaler's SoMo Experience...Epic! (Pics)

First off, I just want to start this post by thanking all of the AZ locals who treated Jerry and I like one of their own on Sunday and I especially want to thank DurtGirl for organizing/leading this excursion and su.ling for acting as the mid-ride savior with food and drink for all. I don't know that I've ever ridden with a more talented but at the same time, more welcoming group than I did this past weekend...you guys are awesome!

As for the ride itself, it was nothing short of astounding in every way shape and form. I thought I'd ridden some technical trails before in the past, and I'm sure I've ridden some sections of trail that would be considered pretty close to National but, on the whole, I've never ridden anything even remotely similar to TNT.

Other than the very short fireroad section and the six miles of road that loop back from the second "coast" on the "coast to coast to coast" route we took, this thing was comprised almost entirely of uber-challenging, techy, singletrack fun.

It seems that riding this will test the mettle of even the most skilled technical riders but I was amazed to see some of the lines and obstacles that were taken and overcome by several of the riders in our group. Every time I'd look at something and think "Heck no!", someone from the group would be right there riding it.

As for my own personal experience, I surprised myself time and again by going up and over things and down and around stuff that I'm not sure I would have tried had some of the people in front of me cruised through [mostly] unscathed. I did manage to plant myself into the trail on one little rocky switchback where my front tire lost all of its air in the blink of an eye which gave me a nice little sprained wrist souvenir (pretty mild) and a bit of damaged pride. I also almost rolled completely over over one of the exposed ledges just before the Beuna Vista parking when I tried a step-up, spun my tire and fell over, onto my back, onto the boulder on my right. I was actually rolling off the side of the cliff and had tipped to the point of no return when I somehow managed to kick my bike off my right foot (it was still attached) which, thankfully, countered my weight and rolled me back down the trail instead of onto the rocks 20 feet below. I think my little roll may have shortened DurtGirl's life a bit as I think I almost gave her a heart attack as she watched this little scen unfold...sorry about that.

All in all this will go down as one of the greatest times I've ever had on my bike and I can't wait to head back out to AZ to do this sucker again, probably in March. Thanks again to everyone who rode with us out there; you guys are incredible both on and off the bikes!

The whole group at Buena Vista

My trusty steed…the homegrown AZ Titus ML

“The Waterfall”

There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

wrecking crew
    Nice pics Chris! Glad you and Jerry had a good time here in AZ!
    Sorry I didn't get to join you guys, being sick sucks...but I'm looking forward to your next visit! - You'll LOVE Goat Camp.

Let us know ahead of time when you'll be out here again so we can make plans.
    ~~~

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Nice pics Chris! Glad you and Jerry had a good time here in AZ!
    Sorry I didn't get to join you guys, being sick sucks...but I'm looking forward to your next visit! - You'll LOVE Goat Camp.

Let us know ahead of time when you'll be out here again so we can make plans.
    Most definitely! I'm going to be talking to some friends about planning a trip out your way around March so I'll give you guys a heads up before hand.

Your Imaginary Friend
    P.S. If anyone wants to view the trail profile and check this ride out on Google Maps, go here: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=2412

I'm not sure if you have to sign up to view things or not but, if you do, it's very much worth your time to do so as this is one of the greatest mtn biking sites on the Web (don't worry, there is absolutely zero spam associated with signing up on this site and it's completely free).

pedaller

Azsf07

Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC
    Most definitely! I'm going to be talking to some friends about planning a trip out your way around March so I'll give you guys a heads up before hand.
    XOC, Awesome pics. Glad DurtGurl was able to hook you up with an sweet ride at SoMo. She is notorious for that!

Don't forget AZ Spring Fling 2007 should probably be happening in March. It's a good time and usually includes the "Best of" Phoenix/ Sedona/Prescott/Tucson. It's well worth the price of admission!

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    thanks for posting the photos! great ride!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Thanks for the pics, glad you guys enjoyed the National C2C ride.

edit That GPS site is pretty cool.

Kathleen in AZ
    Hey Chris... Glad the whole Phx experience was a good one for you! You and Jerry are welcome back any time. I'm always up for SoMo and maybe next time I can do the whole ride

Too many Sedonuts...
    Cool man, those pics are great, thanks for posting them.

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    XOC, Awesome pics. Glad DurtGurl was able to hook you up with an sweet ride at SoMo. She is notorious for that!

Don't forget AZ Spring Fling 2007 should probably be happening in March. It's a good time and usually includes the "Best of" Phoenix/ Sedona/Prescott/Tucson. It's well worth the price of admission!

Do you have a link? I'd like to look into that.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC
    Do you have a link? I'd like to look into that.
    The dates for 2007 haven't been set. Heck, we (as in PaulB, our super organizer) haven't even begun talking about next year and whether or not it will happen again. Most likely it will happen, and probably in a similar style as last year's gathering....

Here is the link from the Passion page for 2006 (still at the top right of the page with "MTBR Gatherings"):
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=155246

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the 2006 fling:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=175033

AKA shitbird
    Guys from OC...hmmm, I think I ran into you Saturday at the waterfall, you were on an S Works right? I was the guy riding the Ellsworth Moment. Anyway, good talking with you and glad to hear you like our trails.

I planned on doing Sunday's ride but something came up and ruined my plans

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Guys from OC...hmmm, I think I ran into you Saturday at the waterfall, you were on an S Works right? I was the guy riding the Ellsworth Moment. Anyway, good talking with you and glad to hear you like our trails.

I planned on doing Sunday's ride but something came up and ruined my plans
    That must've been a different OC contingent because I ride a Moto Lite and my buddy was on a Blur. Sounds like OC invaded SoMo last weekend...why not, it was actually about 10 degrees cooler out in your neck of the woods!

Members who have read this thread: 0