So what will be rideable tomorrow around Phoenix?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

So what will be rideable tomorrow around Phoenix?

I assume SoMo will be fine, as will T100/PMP. Anybody know if Hawes is doable? Apache Wash (at least the hilly parts; probably not the flats)?

Ahhh the pain....
    Problem is that they got A LOT of rain and the sticky sections are kinda scattered as shown. I'm sure I missed some...
    So what will be rideable tomorrow around Phoenix?-mudsono.jpg

I am Walt
    Re Hawes, that system, along with Usery, has received the most rain of anywhere in the Valley since Weds night, and we (Las Sendas area) just got dumped on with a torrential downpour for about an hour mid-Fri afternoon. Hawes drains well, but with the amount of moisture, and the cold temps and humidity, which will slow drying, I would not ride it until Saturday afternoon. The ground is completely saturated right now, with lots of standing water.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I rode Hawes at 11am today, it was like nothing happened so have at it!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I rode Hawes at 11am today, it was like nothing happened!!!!!!!!!! I am sure it won't be any different after that late afternoon squall I'd say have a go at it

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    I rode Hawes at 11am today, it was like nothing happened!!!!!!!!!! I am sure it won't be any different after that late afternoon squall I'd say have a go at it
    Ha!! Hawes continues to amaze with it's resilience! Seriously, I can't believe it's not more saturated.
    Ride more; post less...

My other ride is your mom
    I rode Hawes 10 years ago during the last snowpacalypse, with tornado warnings and inches of rain ongoing....Hawes is as it ever was, a piece of desert wash disguised as singletrack....it's always good to go, because it's always changing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, Hawes seems to be bombproof.

EDR
    "Anybody know if Hawes is doable? "

-Absolutely!

I rode it yesterday around noon for a few hours. Took my rain jacket but never needed it.
    -Fenceline-up Widowmaker-Disney to Secret-to Mine-up Mine/down-back to 3-way-back up East to Saddle(?) then back up-over Disney-and back down the way I came.

A few puddles on Fenceline, that's about it. A few new ruts were created but a lot of ruts were filled in nicely with new sand/rock/dirt bringing the riding back to the middle of the trail on many segments. The added earth was needed. The rest was pretty primo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
    I assume SoMo will be fine, as will T100/PMP. Anybody know if Hawes is doable? Apache Wash (at least the hilly parts; probably not the flats)?
    I skipped my Saturday ride and just hiked in a sandy wash so I didnít see an actual trail. Lots of wildflowers and so green; riding this week will be amazing.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Any guesses what the Sonoran Preserve, south of Carefree Highway, is like?

I was going to wait until Thursday before giving it a try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's fine. I rode there today. The climbing trails are just about perfect. I rode the the shorter flat trail...it was ok for the most part. There were just a couple of soft spots but nothing bad.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for your response.

I can't believe how fast these trail are drying out.

I thought it would be at least a week before I could ride my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    The only thing good I can say about the snow is that it's forcing me to get out of Prescott and explore more of the Phoenix area trails. Rode Hawes yesterday for the first time and really enjoyed myself. Incredibly scenic and as first-timer there I found the trails interesting enough that I wasn't bored. As others have reported conditions are very good.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Rode Hawes at noon Sunday....

There were 3 places on the trail were 1 could sorta of see water. The drainage wash was running so deep and fast that it almost got my rims wet...

One should not ride out there for at least another month to avoid trail damage....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiketodd View Post
    Rode Hawes at noon Sunday....

There were 3 places on the trail were 1 could sorta of see water. The drainage wash was running so deep and fast that it almost got my rims wet...

One should not ride out there for at least another month to avoid trail damage....
    Like I said: Terrible conditions. At least a month.
    Veni vidi velo!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Like I said: Terrible conditions. At least a month.
    As a local who lives next to Hawes, I'd say two...;-)
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Coming in to ride Sedona this weekend but conditions look sketchy! Any trail suggestions for the Phoenix area?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by TitusCO View Post
    Coming in to ride Sedona this weekend but conditions look sketchy! Any trail suggestions for the Phoenix area?
    Tech - SoMo
    Pure desert XC - Brown's Ranch
    Mixture - Hawes (though nothing approaching SoMo tech)
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Cave Creek Regional Park was fine yesterday. Lots of horsies to avoid but conditions were primo.

Closekids.com
    Brown's was closed through Sunday at least. I'm not one to go around and cause trail damage just cuz i can.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Brown's was closed through Sunday at least. I'm not one to go around and cause trail damage just cuz i can.
    Yes, but itís open now, and fine for riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Soo assuming Sedona is a bust, not to mention a couple thousand other riders there for the fest, is it worth the trip to ride elsewhere, including Phoenix? Coming from Colorado BTW..

I am Walt
    Soo assuming Sedona is a bust, not to mention a couple thousand other riders there for the fest, is it worth the trip to ride elsewhere, including Phoenix? Coming from Colorado BTW..
    For sure. Go a little farther south, and ride the Black Canyon Trail. Great trail. Or down into Phoenix, for lots of options.

Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Yes, but itís open now, and fine for riding.

Plus there is a bunch of new trail with fun rock features included. Looks like they added more this week. Get out there and put some tires on it.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Plus there is a bunch of new trail with fun rock features included. Looks like they added more this week. Get out there and put some tires on it.
    Wow, really?! So impressed with what the MSP has done out there, with a lot of kudos to Dale/epicrider for his contributions. I know heís been very involved with the routing and phasing.

I havenít hit it in two months due to being in puppy jail, and having to stay close to home at Hawes (not that Iím complaining), but I canít wait to check out the new stuff!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    For sure. Go a little farther south, and ride the Black Canyon Trail. Great trail. Or down into Phoenix, for lots of options.

Just a reminder to check the level of the Agua Fria before you hit the BCT. On warm days, crossings could be risky due to rapid snowmelt. Rain in the forecast, too.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09512800
    Veni vidi velo!

Wow, really?! So impressed with what the MSP has done out there, with a lot of kudos to Dale/epicrider for his contributions. I know heís been very involved with the routing and phasing.

I havenít hit it in two months due to being in puppy jail, and having to stay close to home at Hawes (not that Iím complaining), but I canít wait to check out the new stuff!

The area east of Rock Tank and south of Hawknest is where most of this is. It is a bit of a spaghetti bowl, but they did a nice job of using existing rocks with some fun alternate lines. It ain't SoMo, but I had a really good time with the SS on those trails.

Get it Walt.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Just a reminder to check the level of the Agua Fria before you hit the BCT. On warm days, crossings could be risky due to rapid snowmelt. Rain in the forecast, too.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09512800
    Great point; thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Ahhh the pain....
    For reference, roughly 150 cfs will put you around knee deep. It's still peaking each day over 1000 cfs with the warm days in the Bradshaws.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    For reference, roughly 150 cfs will put you around knee deep. It's still peaking each day over 1000 cfs with the warm days in the Bradshaws.
    Yikes!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Soo Black Canyon trail is a no go? I have ridden the last section of it and don't remember crossing anything. Is that in the high areas?
    One guy in another thread mentioned he thought the trails themselves were actually better in Phoenix. That was of course his opinion but can anyone chime in on that? An if so, where are these trails? BTW my buddy and I are very capable riders so technical stuff is always welcome.

I am Walt
    Soo Black Canyon trail is a no go? I have ridden the last section of it and don't remember crossing anything. Is that in the high areas?
    One guy in another thread mentioned he thought the trails themselves were actually better in Phoenix. That was of course his opinion but can anyone chime in on that? An if so, where are these trails? BTW my buddy and I are very capable riders so technical stuff is always welcome.
    You'll want to hit South Mountain, and the National Trail. Bucket list trail for tech riding. Lots of other options in Phoenix; I'd recommend the Hawes trail system in NE Mesa.
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here are a few suggestions:
    Black Canyon Trail: Park at the Bumble Bee trailhead. Ride the trail north. You'll dump out on a graded dirt road, go right, cross the bridge, then rejoin the trail (starts as a rocky 2-track for a short bit). At the next road crossing (large metal tank across the road) go left on the road, then take the next right and begin a 3 mile dirt road climb. Just over the top of the climb, get back on the trail and take the BCT back to your car. Shouldn't be any water crossings or minimal at best is my guess. On your way south on I-17, exit at Rock Springs, and go to the cafe there, lots of pie options and good eats.

South Mountain: Like to climb? Like tech/gnar? This is your jam. Park at the 46th St. Trailhead off Baseline Rd. (Avoids the often crowded Pima Canyon TH at 48th St) Climb Javelina trail, go right on Mormon Loop. Get to top of lung busting climb and enjoy city views. Stay left at the next trail junction!! This is the Mormon Trail NOT the Mormon Loop trail, aka 24th St. Again, STAY LEFT HERE!! Short descent, then link into National Trail & stay right. Continue techy climb. Arrive at saddle. Time to make some decisions. How do you feel? So-so, then flip it and take National all the way down to the bottom and rejoin Mormon Loop. Go left, then right on Javelina to the finish. OR if you feel like you need more action, continue on National. Go through Buena Vista Trailhead, stay on National all the way to Telegraph Pass. That was fun, eh? Want more? Ready to head back? To head back, ride up the Summit road, take the first right, then hop on upper Holbert trail (right), then left on National and follow previous directions. If you still want more at Telegraph Pass, do a bit of Hike-a-bike up National, 10-15 minutes or so, ride some up/down ridgelines, then go right and descend Ranger trail. Go right on Summit Road back to Telegraph Pass and resume from above. All routes are advanced routes and strenuous. If you're starting to feel worked over, turn around!! Los Taquitos for post ride, 48th St & Elliot, Safeway shopping center.

Hawes: This will be a solid tour of the entire area and can easily be modified to suit your level of fitness. Stage out of the Park-n-ride lot under the Loop202 freeway on Power Rd. There's a trail at the north end of the lot that links into the system. At the road (Thomas Rd), cross it and take the sidewalk across the canals, then an immediate left onto Fenceline trail. (Most of these trails are not signed). Go right/straight at next junction. Follow trail up & around to the left. Fun descent, then a lung buster climb. Enjoy the view at the top. Resume trail, stay straight at next split. Climb some more. Just over the top look for a trail on the left, Magic Mountain. Descend. Have fun. Stay left, then right onto Saddle trail. Descend through boulders. At the bottom, look for a trail tucked behind Palo Verde tree. Go right onto Secret. Follow it up a few short climbs, then a ripping fun swooping descent. Stay right/straight at the end - momentum takes you this way. More chunky descending. Climb to a small saddle. Stay left just over the top for a rutted, tricky, but fun white knuckle descent. Go right at the T, climb up Saguaro trail. Stay straight bypassing Twisted Sister trail. Continue to climb. Fun descent past some abandoned mines, great view of Salt River at Granite Reef Dam. Ok, now pay attention here, you'll come to a big lefthand switchback of sorts, lots of speed on exit. Keep your eyes peeled for a trail on your RIGHT. If you come to the trail junction on your LEFT, you've gone too far by about 100 feet or so. Once on that trail, contour up/down/around the mountain. Go right at exit, it quickly comes to a flat open area. (You'll return here) Go left on Wild Horse trail. Take your next right on High Horse trail about 3/4 mile after Wild Horse. Follow High Horse until the end, 2.1 miles. Go straight/left at junction, it's sort of a 4-way, continue east on Wild Horse. Go left at next junction onto Scorpion trail and descend for a mile. Look for a trail on the left, take it: Scorpion Alley. It'll come to T after you see some metal barrels sitting in the desert. Go left initially, up a short hill and look for a cool trail feature known as Beetle Roof on the right. Ride it both directions to up your cool status. Then return down the hill to the T, this time veer left/straight onto Stinger Loop. At T go right on Wild Horse back to the flat open area from earlier. Now, go left into a large wash crossing. Steady climb for a mile up Twisted Sister. At T you'll now go LEFT on Saguaro and descend the hill you climbed earlier. No way!! This time stay straight on Saguaro bypassing Saddle. Stay right at next junction, then take a hard right at the next 4-way junction onto Upper Ridge. Stay left at next intersection & climb short knob known as Pride Rock. Tired yet? Didn't think so. Super fun rip down Upper Ridge which should really be called Lower Ridge, but whatevs. Go left at next T onto Hawes trail -- almost done!! Stay right at next two junctions and rejoin Fenceline out to the road. Cross road and drop into the entry trail back to the Park-n-Ride lot. Whew!! Nice going. Two Wheel Jones bike shop is 1/4 mile away if you need anything. Good eats/breweries nearby: Google.

Gold Canyon: If you can, try and ride here mid-week as the main trailhead tends to load up with hikers on the weekends. Want scenery? Some flow? Some tech? Here you go. Stage out of the Cloudview trailhead (US60 east to Gold Canyon, left on Kings Ranch Rd, then follow small brown hiking signs to TH - turn on all roads not marked as Dead End). Short climb up Lost Goldmine (most hikers will veer left at the top of the hill towards the Wilderness boundary, adios!!) Stay right on Lost Goldmine - Left on Hoodoo (GNAR!!) - right on Lost Goldmine - left on Cougar - left on Gold Canyon - zigzag on some dirt roads to Holy Hill, go left. Ring cowbell near bottom of descent or lose your Hawes cool points - go right, then left on Old Horse trail - left on K-trail - left on Vortex (initially bypass the Gila Monster trail and top out on Vortex. Ride a few laps to reset the mtb karma, don't fight it, just DO. IT. Return down the short hill & go left on Gila Monster - Cross jeep road and join Diamondback - at jeep road, take hard left onto Saguaro Squeeze. Tuck in those elbows!! - Right on Lost Goldmine - Right on K-trail. There's a fun rock with a few alternate lines here, play around, then resume K-trail - Cross jeep road where Saguaro Squeeze began, go straight across. There will be a big wash you drop in and immediately rise out of, stay left after step-up, cross road and join Jodi's Dream - You'll come to a split, left is more difficult (rock roll/drop), either way stay on Jodi's, stay right at next trail - cross road where Jodi's began 2 miles earlier - rejoin K-trail. Strap in for some rollercoaster wash fun, stay high & right at first drop, then veer left at bottom. Keep following the flow. - Cross road enter Phantom trail. Rock features in here. Where ya Fromme is harder option. Exit Phantom by staying right at next two quick junctions. You'll be exiting on Secret trail. - Cross road to connector trail - go right on K-trail & bypass the trail on your left. Take the next left about 50 feet later to ride the Tech Loop in a CCW direction. Fun optional rock features here, play a bit. - Exit go right on K-trail and stay right on K. Re-join Vortex, then right on Gila Monster again. - This time, go left at the trail junction about a 1/2 mile in. This links back to Cougar, go left - Exit Cougar, go right - Stay on Gold Canyon trail. It will wrap around parking lot. Done. Janie's Cafe has good New Mexican burritos, on Kings Ranch Rd. on righthand side just before returning to US60.

Arizona Trail: Picketpost!!! This is more of a backcountry type of ride, but so worth it. It's also an out-n-back, but don't let that deter you. If you can handle the previous rides, then plan on riding south on the AZT for 14.5 miles before you flip it. Trailhead is located off US60 near mile marker 221 about 4 miles west of Superior. There's a huge brown sign pointing the way. Road turns to dirt, go left at T to the trailhead. Road is bumpy, but suitable for any vehicle. Find the trail next to the giant Arizona shaped metal sign. Bring a camera!! The trail is well marked and easy to follow. There are a few overlooks along the way with each one getting progressively more impressive. They are roughly miles: 6, 10, 12.5 & 14.5. You'll cross Telegraph Canyon Rd., aka FR4, at mile 7.75 for reference. You'll go through a gate near mile 12.5, that's the boundary for the Tonto Nat'l Forest and you'll then enter the promised land: Martinez Canyon. Holy effin' sh!t Batman, we can ride bikes here?? Better believe it. Go through the canyon, high up the canyon wall, ride across the far end like something from the Lunar landscape. You'll reach a saddle choked with cholla cactus - Don't touch it, fool, just look. This is your turnaround point, but first take a long look at that view. You can see Mt. Lemmon near Tucson from there on a clear day. This is a strenuous, backcountry ride. You may not encounter another trail user beyond the immediate trailhead area. Go prepared, rescue is far away. The good news? It's a rad ride and the final 10 miles or so trend downhill. Post ride grub: In Superior, as you enter town, on right, tan building - Los Hermanos Great, cheap mexican food.

That ought to keep you busy. Why you might even forget all about missing the Sedona stuff.... Use the Trailforks app to aid in navigation. NOTE: some of the Hawes trails are not on there!! Maybe pull up the Strava heatmap for the area...

I hope you're running tubeless and have plenty of fresh sealant....enjoy!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow, thanks for the info!! Getting on the road in 7 hours, cant wait!