So we did coast to coast to coast on National...- Mtbr.com
    Glutton for punishment

Good job! So we did coast to coast to coast on National...

...yesterday. Today, I'm tired. We did the easier route - Up Mormon-National and all along National to the bottom at the San Juan end and the back on the road and up the road to Buena Vista and down National. A little more than 30 miles. On a rigid SS for me and Elissa rode her SS on the whole thing too. This is the first time I've done the whole loop! Whew. Anyone else doing the Squealer on Sunday?

Mmmm I love the taste of an epic in the morning.

Scott

I just got goth served!

... and if we just ... Nice, Scott!

The far west end of National is a blast. It's a great, but less often ridden trail, and the whole loop is a beat-down. No squealer for me, that work thingy. See you guys on the trail!

brian
    insert witty comment here

Jan 2004
    On Single Speeds?!?! You guys are crazy! AND strong!

I'm hoping to get back on my mountain bike one of these days...but I'll wisely be sticking to TRW trails or Desert Classic or things like that to start.

There may be more surgeries in my future...so that's kind of dampening my mountain biking enthusiasm...

I am Doctor Remulak

Look who crawled out of the woodwork

I take it that the last surgery didn't fixed everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlene
    On Single Speeds?!?! You guys are crazy! AND strong!

I'm hoping to get back on my mountain bike one of these days...but I'll wisely be sticking to TRW trails or Desert Classic or things like that to start.

There may be more surgeries in my future...so that's kind of dampening my mountain biking enthusiasm...

Jan 2004

nope....

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    I take it that the last surgery didn't fixed everything?
    The surgery did fix a lot of things. I have much more strength in my foot, and for most activities I also have far less pain. The surgery:
    (1) Repaired a torn ligament that holds my foot together. (No wonder my foot felt "weak"!)
    (2) Repaired a ripped and frayed tendon that was severely stressed by trying to compensate for the torn ligament. (Which is why it wouldn't heal, when it was immobilized in that cast all summre long.)
    (3) Scraped the cartledge that had grown over a contuded fracture, deep in the ankle joint. (The doctor actually thought he'd have to do more, because this is a very difficult break to heal -- but my body had really healed it already. So he just cleaned things up a bit, while he was in there.)

Further PT has helped with:
    (1) Strengthening the tendon that was repaired.
    (2) Alleviating some of the scar tissue from the Plantar Fascia that I've been dealing with for years.

I'm still dealing with:
    (1) A bipartate sesamoid bone (basically two bones where there should be just one) on my left foot.
    (2) Sesamoiditis on my right foot.

Both of these have the same recommended procedure: (1) cortisone shots, each of which is followed by 6 weeks of inactivity. Then if those don't work (95% chance they won't), the doctor recommends that I have two more surgeries, one for each foot. In each surgery, the sesamoid bone is removed. There are potential complications from those surgeries, and if I run into complications, they will have to fuse my big toe joint.

Mostly these last problems cause pain only when I'm rock climbing, cross country skiing, hiking up hill, or really hammering on the pedals. (The ball of my foot hurts when I stand or put pressure on my toes.) I can deal with the pain of hiking and hammering on my pedals OK enough for now. Rock climbing and XC-skiing are too painful. The doctor says that I can do anything where I can stand the pain. The surgery is the most radical solution, and since we've tried everything else, it doesn't much matter if I stress things out more....

All of that said, I've decided to run a little experiment on myself. I'm trying out a few alternative therapies. It can't hurt (except my pocketbook). And if I can avoid a surgery for a while -- or better yet forever -- then it would be worth it.

I'm almost up to a YEAR of dealing with this! I feel that I'm very much ready to be back out having fun, but I guess my lesson in patience isn't over quite yet....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Scott,

What time did ya'll finish? Rami and I got back at noon from telegraph + classic. My legs were a little tired on Monday, but I wish I could have stayed out there a little longer.

Not to re-start another popular thread, but FYI desert classic was a freakin zoo! Even the "secret" corona loop was a freeway of hikers and bikers. Awesome weather though, so its all good.

-Kevin

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman3
    Scott,

What time did ya'll finish? Rami and I got back at noon from telegraph + classic. My legs were a little tired on Monday, but I wish I could have stayed out there a little longer.

Not to re-start another popular thread, but FYI desert classic was a freakin zoo! Even the "secret" corona loop was a freeway of hikers and bikers. Awesome weather though, so its all good.

-Kevin
    Ooh, let's re-start that thread!

Just wait 'til May, midday, if you want a DC that's civil and uncrowded. ;-)

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Jan 2004

Finished at 3 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman3
    Scott,

-Kevin
    It was a long, relaxed pace ride.