So its 2020- Mtbr.com

Thread: So its 2020

The .05 percent

So its 2020

Ok, winter is waning, days getting longer. Other than the coming of Hart trail, what else we got on a positive note for Flag? Lifting of some of the closure? New trail agreements coming from the Flagstaff Trails Initiative? Whatcha got?
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Ok, winter is waning, days getting longer. Other than the coming of Hart trail, what else we got on a positive note for Flag? Lifting of some of the closure? New trail agreements coming from the Flagstaff Trails Initiative? Whatcha got?
    the Onceler rested for not even one brief moment all winter (including weekends and holidays), thus little of the Fort Valley landscape west of Schultz Road has been left untouched. the restored vistas and meadows are beautifully expansive, the social trails all but obliterated by limb litter, and the new and old network of logging roads is now fully and intricately conjoined, deeply pitted, and widely entrenched.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    In the near term (months) the FS has money to mitigate damage from thinning to trails in Fort Valley. Not sure just yet where that will be focused nor do they but certainly some realignments on lower Moto to get it off the old road bed. There is also money to get U. Brookbank re-opened so there will be crews in there felling trees and working on blown out drainage crossings. Elden Lookout Rd will like remain closed to motorized access all summer but will open to nonmotorized access once the bulk of the road construction is completed.

In the long-term (years) the MEDL collaborative group is wrapping up recommendations to the FS to help guidance on a new Proposed Action. Timeline on that is June-July and out for public comment. NEPA will take at least a year so hopefully boots on the ground by 2022 but there is lots of support for fast-tracking so maybe 2021 isn't out of the question. The FTI regional trail strategy that I'm sure you all commented on will be finalized in the next month or so. We're currently addressing and responding to the 500+ comments. FTI is transitioning to an education/outreach and fund raising non-profit similar to the Sedona Red Rock Trail Fund. The strategy will be a planning document to help guide what will probably be a series of proposed actions released by the FS. Perhaps one north of I40 and then south of I40. That remains a little unclear. Also, the city is pushing ahead with plans for trails on Observatory Mesa.

There will be quite a bit more thinning going on this summer as well. Expect mechanized thinning along the lower half of Schultz Creek trail with some closures. The unfinished reroute of lower Schultz will commence in May with a focus on National Trails Day. Be sure to come on out for that. Also, FBO and Trail Faeries will be working on a reroute where the AZT bypass comes in. Little Elden and Heart should be done by the end of May.

The .05 percent
    All good news. Really looking forward to hart trail. Hopefully the upper parts of sunset trail are only medium rare. Surprised to hear that upper brookbank is still on play, saw it last fall that one is toast. Possibly rerouting the entire trail as well as lower brookbank? 2021 might shape up to be pretty impressive on the trail front.

mtbr member
    All good news. Really looking forward to hart trail. Hopefully the upper parts of sunset trail are only medium rare. Surprised to hear that upper brookbank is still on play, saw it last fall that one is toast. Possibly rerouting the entire trail as well as lower brookbank? 2021 might shape up to be pretty impressive on the trail front.
    The organ donor part of Sunset burned hot. Hobbit Forest isn't too bad. The closed section will re-open once there is nonmotorized access on Elden Lookout Rd. That will enable access to Heart from the top. ACE has plans to be on it beginning in April.

Upper Brookbank really needs a realignment or two but with questions regarding the tails (junction with L. brookbank and Sunset) it was decided to just make it safe and get it open. There's a skid trail from the thinning that goes right across the switchback section. Lower Brookbank will reopen if it can be made safe; otherwise it will remain closed until its realigned as part of MEDL. There are no plans to do any maintenance or improvements to L. Brookbank.
    Last edited by rockman; 03-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    the Onceler rested for not even one brief moment all winter (including weekends and holidays), thus little of the Fort Valley landscape west of Schultz Road has been left untouched. the restored vistas and meadows are beautifully expansive, the social trails all but obliterated by limb litter, and the new and old network of logging roads is now fully and intricately conjoined, deeply pitted, and widely entrenched.
    It does look different that's for sure. Intersection of AZT and Weatherford Rd.

So its 2020-thinning_azt.png

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow!!!!
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It does look different that's for sure. Intersection of AZT and Weatherford Rd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thinning_AZT.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	1313993
    Got lost over in the motos a week ago, really different view points. Should make for much more open routing of trails. Maybe we can get out of the poor practice of using trees as an apex for a corner? One of my biggest pet peeves.

My other ride is your mom
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've been so in the dumps about mountain bike riding up here that I've put off a new bike for another year and have put money into a road bike....if all I can expect to ride is Ft. Valley and Mesa flats all summer long, then I might as well get my lycra on.

mtbr member
    I'll just post in this thread rather that start a new one but got a few updates from the FS. Early reports on trail conditions in the burn scar are more positive than previously thought. That, combined with efforts on Sunset trail that have already concluded and planned hazard tree reduction on the Brookbanks, expect a reduction in the current closure in the early to mid-May time frame.

The emergency rehab work on Elden Lookout Rd will begin as soon as the snow melts out and can be safely conducted. That should only take a couple of weeks so that should also open to non-motorized use in that same early to mid-May timeframe.

Of course nothing is certain with the Covid situation but that's the current thinking. The FS is very much in favor of keeping the forest open for safe distance recreation.

mtbr member
    Mid-may time frame. So... just in time to close the forest due to fire danger?

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Shut your filthy mouth....🤬🤬🤬🤬

mtbr member
    That would be the Debbie Downer perspective. How about Polly Anna?

mtbr member
    Well we have been getting regular storms across the south-west. Another moving through today that is supposed to dump a bunch of snow in the local mountains. Crazy as things have been maybe we'll get a wet spring and not need to close.

mtbr member
    Well we have been getting regular storms across the south-west. Another moving through today that is supposed to dump a bunch of snow in the local mountains. Crazy as things have been maybe we'll get a wet spring and not need to close.
    Yes, let's hope for a wet spring. And it's not like the forest is closed due to fire danger every summer. I think it's happened ~5 or 6 times in the three + decades I've lived here.

But last year's non-soon was a huge bummer. Never seen a summer without monsoon rain in July or August. But then haven't experienced a global pandemic either. Probably canceling all our trail events this year. We'll keep the dates for now but won't be asking our business sponsors for donations of money or food to promote the events.

The .05 percent
    Yes, let's hope for a wet spring. And it's not like the forest is closed due to fire danger every summer. I think it's happened ~5 or 6 times in the three + decades I've lived here.

But last year's non-soon was a huge bummer. Never seen a summer without monsoon rain in July or August. But then haven't experienced a global pandemic either. Probably canceling all our trail events this year. We'll keep the dates for now but won't be asking our business sponsors for donations of money or food to promote the events.
    So first was Shultz fire, then logging, then loggers burned down our trails, now it's the Kung Flu. I hate to ask but what's next? Swear we cannot catch a break.

mtbr member
    So first was Shultz fire, then logging, then loggers burned down our trails, now it's the Kung Flu. I hate to ask but what's next? Swear we cannot catch a break.
    What's next? A new Proposed Action for MEDL and a completed regional trail plan as part of the Flagstaff Trails Initiative. We are officially turning the corner.

The .05 percent
    What's next? A new Proposed Action for MEDL and a completed regional trail plan as part of the Flagstaff Trails Initiative. We are officially turning the corner.
    That I can get behind. Maybe an excuse to buy a new bike?

mtbr member
    The San Francisco Volcanic Field stirs back to life?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    We're facing a lot of negatives in our riding scene right now, but I'm still as stoked as ever for riding season. I can't wait to get out on our (limited) trails, I can't wait to try Heart, can't wait to find new lines on old trails, can't wait to dirt jump at Tuthill, and can't wait to learn or try new stuff (as I seem to do every season.) We forget how lucky we have it. Most of the mountain bike world would kill to get 2000+ vert in one ride. Most would kill to have great riding within 10 minutes of their house. Most would kill for our trails.

We're limited. But I'm sure as hell not gonna sit around all summer and complain about it. Bring on the warm weather and let's shred!

The .05 percent
    Well said👍🏿