So how'se the weather/trails in Sedona?- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

So how'se the weather/trails in Sedona?

I'm in Durango right now, looking for my next ride location, driving down Friday and finding a place to park my camping trailer and ride some.

While my original plan was to hit St. George area, the weather systems moving through have me wondering if that is realistic. So, how are things in Sedona? Anybody heading out there to the weekend?

I don't mind riding whetted sandstone and friends, even in colder weather, but would not enjoy riding DURING rainfall (so call me a wuss, go ahead, see if I care, I'm on vacation).

Cheers, and TIA

mtbr member
    It's gonna get a kinda wintery around here in the next 72 hours. Most of Utah and northern Arizona could get 1 to 3 inches of precip. I'd start your drive by early friday rather
    than later or it could get nasty. Turning to snow by friday afternoon above 7000 feet.

https://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i12.gif

Sedona dries out pretty quick but it will be unsettled through monday. good luck.

mtbr member
    If snow and rain are on the way and Sedona is not doable, I've got two words for you: Fee Nicks.

It's only a couple more hours south and has some of the best riding in the west.

Oops. Edit: I just read this weather report from Waltaz so maybe not. Hmmm. Not sure where you'd be safe from the rain. Vegas may be a good option.

ANOTHER POTENTIALLY WET PERIOD STARTING FRIDAY AND CONTINUING THROUGH THE WEEKEND...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES BEGINNING FRIDAY...AND THEN CONTINUING THROUGH THE WEEKEND. A VERY COOL AND MOIST AIRMASS WILL ACCOMPANY THIS WEATHER SYSTEM...AND LEAD TO PERIODS OF RAIN WHICH MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES.

STRONG SOUTHERLY FLOW AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM ON FRIDAY WILL AID IN TRANSPORTING ABUNDANT SUB-TROPICAL MOISTURE NORTHWARD INTO SOUTHEAST CALIFORNIA...SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH- CENTRAL ARIZONA...RESULTING IN THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL. WINDY CONDITIONS ARE ALSO LIKELY FRIDAY...ESPECIALLY OVER SOUTHWESTERN ARIZONA...AS THE SYSTEM APPROACHES FROM THE WEST.

IT IS TOO EARLY TO DETERMINE EXACT STORM TOTAL PRECIPITATION TOTALS. HOWEVER...IT IS POSSIBLE THAT PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN WILL OCCUR OVER MUCH OF SOUTH-CENTRAL ARIZONA...ESPECIALLY IN THE UPSLOPE AREAS INCLUDING WICKENBURG...CAVE CREEK AND A LARGE PART OF SOUTHERN GILA COUNTY. IT IS LIKELY THAT SOME LOCATIONS WILL RECEIVE BETWEEN ONE AND TWO INCHES OF RAINFALL DURING THE LIFETIME OF THIS WET WEATHER SYSTEM.

THERE IS ALSO UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE TIMING OF THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL... BUT LATE FRIDAY THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY IS THE MOST FAVORABLE TIME FRAME. ADDITIONAL SHOTS OF HEAVY RAINFALL ARE POSSIBLE FROM SUNDAY INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK...GIVEN THE VERY SLOW MOVING NATURE OF THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-06-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    If snow and rain are on the way and Sedona is not doable, I've got two words for you: Fee Nicks.

It's only a couple more hours south and has some of the best riding in the west.

Yup, looks like we are going to have weather rolling through most of AZ for the next 4-5 days. I would say drive the extra 90 minutes and head down to PHX. Even if it does rain, its never really constant and the trails dry out quickly. We don't have much dirt so there isn't a lot of mud like there can be in Sedona.

Chilling out
    Thanks gang, for the info.

I'm going to hang out one more day here in Durango and do some more skiing, then head west on Sat.

Please feel free to make any updates you care to.

Appreciated.

just 1 more

Rain starting 7 am

Rain already starting here across the valley from Sedona (7 am) , weekend might be a washout for riding here. This dirt is no fun when it's wet, like riding in peanut butter.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

mtbr member
    No rain today yet but it is threatening. Looks like we are going to have a break in the precip tomorrow @ 51 degrees. Another system moves in on Monday with 30% chance of showers through Tuesday. Wednesday through Sunday on looks like high fifties and clear. Trails will be extremely tacky, no brakes needed!

just 1 more
    It rained pretty hard in VOC last evening, were the trails rideable today? Rained off/on today in Cottonwood. Even sleeted a bit
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

stuntman

currently snowing....1-2 inches so far

ride leaves mountainbike heaven at 9am sun. morn...
    especially if there's snow!
    no crybabies! be prepared!
    see you there!
    GOD HATES A COWARD

banned

Riding with the Local Yokals

Well Narley was correct the Sunday ride was an epic.

Due to cool temps the group didn't start the ride until after 10:30 AM. It was one of the most spectacular rides that I have been on for awhile. Since it snowed the previous day and last night conditions were very promising.

The ride started by crossing Once Dry Creek then heading north. The route consisted of numerous wash sections that only have water running in them several times a year. Many of the wash sections were over 100' wide and the surface was bright red super smooth slickrock with several inches of water on the surface, it was totally cool.

Even though the out of wash sectionswere was super saturated the rocky/gravelly nature of the soil gave you plenty of traction and you never had to worry about the tire loading up with mud due to the lack of clay in the soil.

The first half of the ride was mainly uphill and as we topped out we were in one of the most beautiful spots in the whole world. From east to northwest the mountain tops were covered in snow.

Everyone on the ride felt as though they were experiencing something VERY special.

After topping out at the high point we dropped off the edge of a really cool ridge and roller coastered down the hillside with dogs chasing us like we were rabbits.

If you ever get to Sedona after a big rainstorm or snow period don't dispair after several hours of no rain the riding conditions could very well be excellent. Especially if you are a strong freeride type of rider who likes challenging uphill riding as well as exciting downhill.

If you are only interested in FLOW forget riding in Sedona during wet snowy periods because you well be very unhappy.

Members who have read this thread: 0