Smith Ravine- Mtbr.com

Thread: Smith Ravine

Powered by ice cream.

Smith Ravine

A little vid to encourage you to descend this baby next time you are around. The vid starts near the big Juniper 1/2 way down and continues to the bottom.

This is my first Go-Pro vid, so I am open to tips from some of the other video dudes around here.
    Last edited by Enel; 10-04-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Movie no workie

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Tough transition from Rush to Waylon. Other than choice in music, nice work. Looks like fun.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Elitest thrill junkie
    Does not work for me either. I'll try it at work tomorrow. The conditions were EXCELLENT today. A bit windy for sure, but amazing trail conditions, falling-tree slalom, it was like riding in the Pac-NW with all the moisture.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Watched it on Youtube. Yeah, nice vid. The conditions were great, but there were quite a few more trees down when I rode down it a few hours later. I moved a couple off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Tucson, AZ
    Sweeeeeet! First song was sick, second song reminded me of that time I was bikepacking in the middle of Montana and the only thing was this redneck bar. Things got really awkward when I walked in with my tight lycra in and asked if I could have some water/if they served food.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I always climb 3 miles of hell, gotta get a gravity run on it!!

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    I always climb 3 miles of hell, gotta get a gravity run on it!!
    Do both!

It's a slugfest!
    Nice vid Enel. I'm just coming off editing 12 hours of trail footage from our last trip. A few tips/comments I'll pass on.

1) You already did it right with the chesty mount versus putting the camera on top of your helmet. I like that POV way better…not to mention you don’t have to worry about low hanging trees and such.
    2) To get smoother trail footage, the guy filming needs to stay off the seat as much as possible. Use legs to absorb shock, and try and keep torso steady. While staying seated is much more comfortable, we found the footage to be way more "jittery".
    3) I noticed some raindrops or water on the lens early on. Several of our rides took us though creek crossings and a couple of rainstorms. After a while, we learned to just start randomly wiping the GoPro lens with our jersey sleeve. This saved us from tossing out a lot of footage that would have otherwise been distracting or unusable.
    4) I like seeing the rider close to the camera. I know this is easier said than done. You feel like you're right on the riders tail, but it seems further away in the GoPro lens. Sometimes you have to yell at the rider to slow down until the camera can catch up to him. Capturing the riders movement with the flow of the trail makes for good video IMO. You did a better job of this through the burn section of the trail.
    5) Choose the music you like. Music is about as subjective as posting about restaurants. Choose the music that you and your buddies will enjoy….screw everyone else's opinion.
    6) When editing the video, forget all the fancy transitions. Just use a good old "fade" into the next clip.
    7) Chesty mount filming with a sleeveless jersey on rocky terrain makes the filmer look like he has old-lady-bingo-wings. We found this footage to be quite distracting and honestly, a bit disturbing. Long sleeve jersey=good. (Not applicable to your video but something I thought I'd pass on nonetheless….)

Again, nice job. Enjoyed the vid. Keep 'em coming.

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Nice video! Wher is Smith Ravine? Would love to ride that from the top down. Is there road access to the top to shuttle?

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    Nice video! Wher is Smith Ravine? Would love to ride that from the top down. Is there road access to the top to shuttle?
    Prescott. You can start off Spruce Mountain Fireroad but it has some stiff climbs back out of the ravin. Some of that footage looks like the top of 305.

Dean

Powered by ice cream.
    Great tips, thanks.

I am experimenting with a mount on the front of my full face, hanging a bit down, so it will be just a touch higher, forward, and hopefully more steady than the chesty.

I can't believe how close you have to be to the guy in front with this thing. Literally on the wheel.

I did clean the lens, but with the rain it just dropped again.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Prescott. You can start off Spruce Mountain Fireroad but it has some stiff climbs back out of the ravin. Some of that footage looks like the top of 305.

Dean
    Correct, the last min is the top of 305 descent...I needed filler for the song, and besides, we were really hauling there.

I have enough vid to put together a 305 video when I get the time.

Filming the Dells tomorrow...

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Correct, the last min is the top of 305 descent...I needed filler for the song, and besides, we were really hauling there.

I have enough vid to put together a 305 video when I get the time.

Filming the Dells tomorrow...
    sweet! looking forward to it. loved the Rush song, havent heard that in ages!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    2) To get smoother trail footage, the guy filming needs to stay off the seat as much as possible. Use legs to absorb shock, and try and keep torso steady. While staying seated is much more comfortable, we found the footage to be way more "jittery".
    Rigid bikes, it's a prescott thing.

Over the Hill
    I always bring my rigid bike with me to Prescott not many places have the miles of buff singletrack. Some trails are just more fun on a rigid bike.

Dean

Elitest thrill junkie
    A few pics from the same general area, on the same day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master Gardener
    Cool vid, Eric!

mtbr member
    Another way to get rid of the jittering is to ride one handed and hold the video camera preferably with your right hand. I think that is the way Notch Johnson does it in all his videos.

Great vid Enel, I gotta get back out and ride that this weekend

Jeff
    Last edited by azbeersnob; 10-07-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob
    I think that is the way Notch Johnson does all his videos it.
    That's correct, I hold a minicam in my right hand while descending @ warp speed! This advanced technique allows me to zoom in/out, switch modes, and even edit out slow/dull sections on the fly.

Seriously tho, that is a sweet vid. You guys were really hauling!
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

oh Lucky me
    wow, i rode that trail about 2 months ago i guess. i went the opposite way you went and parked by the gate right off of lynx lake rd (in that small parking area)...that was absolutely hell climbing...i gave up and started walking...but it was fun coming down
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I really want to check those trails out sometime. I have lived in az all my life yet there are so many trails I have never ridden.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    Man that trail needs some Booters on it! Looks like a sick ride! That tree u stopped and walked over looks like it would be a sweet jump with some dirt added! Cool video! Make sure that the camera is steady and doesnt wiggle in the mount I have to cram a piece of paper in mine and the video comes out a bit smoother.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    Man that trail needs some Booters on it! Looks like a sick ride! That tree u stopped and walked over looks like it would be a sweet jump with some dirt added! Cool video! Make sure that the camera is steady and doesnt wiggle in the mount I have to cram a piece of paper in mine and the video comes out a bit smoother.
    Not only that, but it did have a couple medium sized jumps, one lasted a while, then the FS cut the tree off of the trail. Someone I know very well did their best to re-create the one up top, but those trees over the trail are recent, and yes, they should be booters.

Master Gardener
    There are advantages and disadvantages to living smack dab in the middle of a National Forest.

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Just rode Smith Ravine today by way of 62, 299, Spruce Mtn Rd, 297, 305. Man that was a lot of work. Felt like I hiked more than rode the first 4-5 miles! The loop is a great idea but 62 kind of kills it for me, just not very rideable in my condition. Might have to look for a better way, maybe just ride up Spruce Mtn Rd, but that seems a little ho-hum and I'd miss some nice stuff on 299.

Overall a great day on the bike though, nice weather, great workout, and some fun descents of course. Saw a few hikers in various spots but only one other bike on 305.