Smash and Grabs- Mtbr.com

Thread: Smash and Grabs

Meatbomb

Smash and Grabs

Scottsdale PD published a warning about an increase in smash and grabs at trailheads.... Don't leave anything of value in your car.

It's kind of a no brainer when you see all the glass in the parking lots.

Black and Sticky
    I have seen this quite a few times over the years at the eastern end of T100 in the Tatum lot. I think that TH is notorious for smash and grab. One time I pulled into the lot on my bike and there were two guys who were acting suspiciously, obviously not biking, not particularly dressed for hiking, etc. When they saw me they started walking back north on Tatum. I headed back west on T100, turned around after a minute or two and went back to the TH and there they were again. I engaged them in conversation and they were supposedly waiting to meet someone there about a job. I mentioned the frequent smash and grab that went on and said that I knew they wouldn’t do that but if they just hang out there, they would likely be blamed for any of that and probably not a good place to “meet”. They took off. I don’t think I did any good because I saw glass about a week later.

Many years ago I was fishing on Lake Austin (TX) and when I got back to my truck, there had been a smash. I recalled about a minute before I got back I walked by a guy high above me up on a pedestrain walkway. He was about 30 feet above me. We smiled and waved at each other. When I discovered the broken window I realized the guy had probably been a lookout. But I was so close to my vehicle that there must have not been time for the “grab.” I’m pretty sure the lookout had warned the smasher, who I never saw. That was in the late 80’s and it still pisses me off.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Ahhh the pain....
    I got hit at that tatum lot several years ago...they got nothing but a pair of crocs in a gym bag. More of a pain to get my window fixed.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I got hit at that tatum lot several years ago...they got nothing but a pair of crocs in a gym bag. More of a pain to get my window fixed.
    ..."pair of crocs"...?!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Yeah me too off 40th street though. Didn't break a window but broke in by the handle some how anyway I don't lock up when I park there now and don't leave anything of value also leave the window down part way so they'll see probably nothing of value or it would be locked...

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    That’s the problem for the “don’t leave anything valuable in your car” directive. I see signs like that at just about all the Scottsdale trailheads. The problem is, you can leave behind nothing and the crooks still break in so that they can search consoles and other nooks and crannies for unseen stuff. Sometimes I think it would be better to just leave your car unlocked with a sign that says “come on in and check things out...nothing worth stealing in here, except maybe crocs.”

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    lol

mtbr member
    In my case all they got was cash a camera and a credit card. What kind of weirdo steals Crocs?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    In my case all they got was cash a camera and a credit card. What kind of weirdo steals Crocs?!
    It may be the only way this weirdo can get them any more.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smash and Grabs-mario-batali-hero-640.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    That’s the problem for the “don’t leave anything valuable in your car” directive. I see signs like that at just about all the Scottsdale trailheads. The problem is, you can leave behind nothing and the crooks still break in so that they can search consoles and other nooks and crannies for unseen stuff. Sometimes I think it would be better to just leave your car unlocked with a sign that says “come on in and check things out...nothing worth stealing in here, except maybe crocs.”

Bob
    That's why I leave the old underwear on the seat, it seems to help.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post

Bob
    When I lived in Philly, I had a friend who lived downtown and kept having his car broken into, even with nothing visible. So he started leaving the car unlocked. Then they stole his whole car.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.