SLIME vs. Stans ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SLIME vs. Stans ?

has any one tried slime in there tubless set-up? does it work, or no? stans is great, but it dries up kinda fast and is pricey. any other product or secret back yard recipe out there? thanx for any thoughts. FUN-ON!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

pedaller
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

"Yabut"
    Yes, the Slime for tubeless tires works good. And it doesn't dry up. I use either one.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Never heard of it. How well does it hold up? Will it work with a ghetto tubeless setup?

pedaller
    I don't know Ry. I just set them up with PaulB's err...CJ's recipe and PaulB's help on Monday. It was simple and is holding air perfectly so far

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...0&postcount=60

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420661
    Last edited by Noelg; 09-02-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    I have a mix of Stans and Slime in my tires. The Stans dries up after about 2 months but the Slime lasts until I have destroyed the tire (about 5 months seems to be the going rate)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ive been running a similar mix to cj's and have had great luck. broke the beast one to add more in the last year or more in my ghetto setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had better luck with Stan's than with Slime for tubeless tires.

I got a flat one time when I was using Tubeless Slime. The hole in question was not that big, but green fluid just kept spurting out. There were still plenty of chunks and there appeared to be an adequate amount of fluid too. It may be though that none of the smaller chunks made it into the hole.

I've pulled cactus thorns out of tubeless tires with Stan's in them. I've heard air hiss out for a moment, but only a moment before Stan's sealant fills the hole and seals it.

I do like Slime tubes though when I use tubes in my tires. I've had a few instances where a thorn punctures the tube and then continues to "irritate the wound", so to speak, causing the tire to go flat. Removing the tire, pulling the obvious thorns from the inside, and then putting the same tube back, unpatched, usually works. Using that methodology, I'm often able to make a Slime tube last as long as a tire.

Got a suspension fork
    FWIW, I happened to be in Walmart the other day and noticed that they sell 1 Gallon sized jugs of Slime for $27.95.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I don't know Ry. I just set them up with PaulB's err...CJ's recipe and PaulB's help on Monday. It was simple and is holding air perfectly so far

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...0&postcount=60

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420661
    That brew work like magic on a true UST tire and rim. Not so well on a Flow/Rampage for me. Stan's worked well on the Flow/Rampage and even better on the Flow/Choir Master. Think I will try this next time around.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    FWIW, I happened to be in Walmart the other day and noticed that they sell 1 Gallon sized jugs of Slime for $27.95.

I've been running ust for almost 5 years now and have never even tried Stans. Nothing against it but the price.

I've been using Slime for years now and it has not failed me once. It's thick so I mix in a few tablespoons of Windex to cut it down.

I used to buy the 32oz bottle at Walgreens for about 13 bucks. They don't all carry that size, some have only 16oz bottles and some carry the 1gallon Coscto-esque version, which is great.

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me if the homemade stuff works as good as Stan's but doesn't dry out as quickly?

I just converted to ghetto tubeless about a month ago and I used Stan's. My only concern is how to add more sealant in there without having to redo the entire setup again (I did the split tube thing, not the rim tape). Can anyone tell me how to do this or am I SOL?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    My only concern is how to add more sealant in there without having to redo the entire setup again (I did the split tube thing, not the rim tape). Can anyone tell me how to do this or am I SOL?
    Can you remove the valve core? If so, inject the sealant through the valve stem.

See http://www.notubes.com/product_info....products_id/46

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    Can you remove the valve core? If so, inject the sealant through the valve stem.

See http://www.notubes.com/product_info....products_id/46
    I don't think I can... they are presta valves (my rims weren't drilled out for schrader).

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Can anyone tell me if the homemade stuff works as good as Stan's but doesn't dry out as quickly?

I just converted to ghetto tubeless about a month ago and I used Stan's. My only concern is how to add more sealant in there without having to redo the entire setup again (I did the split tube thing, not the rim tape). Can anyone tell me how to do this or am I SOL?
    I run the home brew and it drys out quickly as well... We live in a desert where it gets hot, not much you can do about it.

Tucson, AZ
    Stan's...I have not had a flat tire in about 7 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would say the mix brew I use dries slower from people I spoke with who compared the 2. no personal experience. I did the pipe tape version and I have popped my bead of twice. once to check things and once to add more sealant(there was actually quite a bit in there still. Some of the presta valves can also be removed, like the ones I originally tried it with and the tubless stems I used for mine, but with my mix I used fairly large glitter and it seemed to plug the stem up when trying to add through the stem, so thats why I popped the bead. simple and easy and mine went right back together. I'm not sure how the tube method is for popping the bead off and then back on. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the stans, it works really well , ---no matter what you use it all will dry out .
    it all depens on how thin or thick your tires are .

My prestas have removable cores , ----but it is easier to just pop the bead and add and pop it back on ------this is where the tape is just great and way easier to add stans or put a tube in if you rip the sidewall out .

banned
    You do know all slime is antifreeze (ethylene glycol) plus chopped up cotton balls. The fibers plug up the holes. Pretty simple concept aye?

I have been adding dawn dish detergent to my home brew stan's to get the FOAMY effect. It works super so far.

TD

EDR
    You do know all slime is antifreeze (ethylene glycol) plus chopped up cotton balls. The fibers plug up the holes. Pretty simple concept aye?

...and most other sealants are liquid latex with other additives. Not sure exactly what the point is here but I guess not everyone wants to bother making their own, at least not me (been there, done that, kinda thing).

mtbr member
    I don't think I can... they are presta valves (my rims weren't drilled out for schrader).
    You can get it in there easily.
    1. snip off the end of the presta valve screw with the nut tightened closing the valve
    2. unthread and remove the nut.
    3. let the screw fall into the tube and hold it between you fingers through the tube walls
    4. squeeze the sealant in with a slime bottle, its hose, and presta to schrader adapter.
    5 insert the screw back into the valve
    6. shake it or tap it downward on a hard surface until it comes back out and screw the nut back on.
    it's pretty easy to do.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    ...and most other sealants are liquid latex with other additives. Not sure exactly what the point is here but I guess not everyone wants to bother making their own, at least not me (been there, done that, kinda thing).
    Drink:

The point is not everyone wants to pay the retail price. Some of us more curious types like to experiment with a less expensive equally the same or better system. You probably buy bottled water, right or wrong? Some of us choose to drink the water out of the tap and put the $1.00 saved into our mortgage. Different strokes can make the canoe go faster.

Kinda like saving $1,600 on pest control.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Drink:

The point is not everyone wants to pay the retail price. Some of us more curious types like to experiment with a less expensive equally the same or better system. You probably buy bottled water, right or wrong? Some of us choose to drink the water out of the tap and put the $1.00 saved into our mortgage. Different strokes can make the canoe go faster.

Kinda like saving $1,600 on pest control.
    yeah, i'd rather throw money at new parts, tires, for the bike than goop that costs more than it should!

mtbr member

Go stans!

I was in Performance and bought some slime (tubeless specific) as they don't sell stans. Went home and put the prescribed amount in 2 new tires on my SS. constantly went flat. Dismounted, cleaned out the green mess and replaced with stans, good to go.

I think the slime is just to thick

Chip

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    I was in Performance and bought some slime (tubeless specific) as they don't sell stans. Went home and put the prescribed amount in 2 new tires on my SS. constantly went flat. Dismounted, cleaned out the green mess and replaced with stans, good to go.

I think the slime is just to thick

Chip
    Chip:

I could be entirely wrong, but my take is as follows. Slime plugs leaks by jamming the hole with cotton fibers that plug the leak. Stan's latex sealant has minute kevlar grindings (you can use glitter as a substitute) in it to plug leaks and the latex dries out to cement the leak closed. Slime does not dry out; the antifreeze component is just a medium to bring the cotton fibers to the leak where it gets jammed into the hole.

Because Slime doesn't dry out like Stan's it has a tendency to not work well on the seal between the tire bead and the rim. You can have a pretty serious leak on the bead using a latex sealant and over time the leak will diminish slowly as the latex dries. If you were to be using Slime on the same new installation the bead rim leak may never seal due to the non-drying characteristic of the Slime.

That's my story and I am sticking to it until someone with a different experience (I have done a lot of Sliming for myself and others and about 50 ghetto latex installations) can convince me otherwise.

TD

mtbr member

slimed!

Doc,
    I completely agree with your assesment, I tried taking off the wheels and "swishing" around the slime to seal up the bead, but the stuff is just too thick to "swish". Whenever I remove a stans sealed tire you can remove (usually in one piece) the dried up stans seal on the tire bead.

And what is that coral lookin thing that rolls around inside your tire when the stans dries up? Is that where my missing socks go? is it edible?

Chip

mtbr member
    stans recommends 2 ounces for 1 tire. is this the amount most of you use, or no? more would keep it from drying as fast, but also adds weight.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    stans recommends 2 ounces for 1 tire. is this the amount most of you use, or no? more would keep it from drying as fast, but also adds weight.
    It depends on what the average temperature is at 12:01 P.M. where you store your bike. If the average temperature is more than 96 degres at that time for more than 10 days in a row I would say 3.8 oz. would be perfect.

As the moisture disapates from the inside of the tube the weight of the bike should drop 2.3 oz per tire. Hope that helps.

TD

EDR
    delete........I thought you were asking about Slime

mtbr member
    Stans! period. reload every couple of months. its a small price to pay for living in the desert.

B7

Meatbomb
    I run slime tubes and never have a problem.

banned
    One other point about Slime it is reusable and can be reinjected into presta tubes if you are mechanically inclined and want to save a few bucks. I salvage slime tubes when they fail and collect the slime for future use when my friends come from the Bay Area to ride for a couple days.

Got a suspension fork
    Even though I've had no flats in over two months (amazing here in Phoenix riding with all these cactus thorns everywhere) I've decided to make some homemade slime tubes for extra protection. This looks like an easy enough procedure.

http://nosin.blogspot.com/2006/02/ho...esta-tube.html

How many ounces should I be adding to a 29er tube, for use with 2.1 / 2.2 inch tires? Do I really need 4 ideally or some other amount?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've decided to make some homemade slime tubes for extra protection. This looks like an easy enough procedure.

http://nosin.blogspot.com/2006/02/ho...esta-tube.html
    Actually, if you don't want to mess with the presta Valve, I just buy a slime tube, wait until I get a puncture that requires a patch. Inject some replacement slime directly into the hole caused by the puncture using the clipped off end of a ball inflator (used to pump up basketballs, etc). Saves me from messing with the Presta Valve, although it does require the initial purchase of the slime tube. I clip off the end of the "ball inflator" to allow a big enough hole for the slime to get through, but not too big to stretch out the puncture.

This whole Stans vs Slime is really interesting.....as I hate messing with flats. Sounds like its still a fairly even bet either way? No compelling evidence that one is superior over the other? Just lots of difference in preferences.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Actually, if you don't want to mess with the presta Valve, I just buy a slime tube.

I'm thrifty, I can make homemade slime tubes for 1/2 the price of Slime brand tubes.

mtbr member
    I'm thrifty, I can make homemade slime tubes for 1/2 the price of Slime brand tubes.
    So did you find you can actually unscrew the top retainer portion of the Presta Valve, as indicated in some of the threads, or do you just snip off the top?

Got a suspension fork
    So did you find you can actually unscrew the top retainer portion of the Presta Valve, as indicated in some of the threads, or do you just snip off the top?
    I'll tell you in a day or two! Just made the decision to try this out last night, bought some slime today, may or may not have time to try it tonight but the weekend for sure.

Hairshirt Rider
    Just break the seal and work the tire part way the rim on one side. Add sealant, soap the bead and carefully reinstall. The split tube usually stays put and will seal back up.

Got a suspension fork
    I'll tell you in a day or two! Just made the decision to try this out last night, bought some slime today, may or may not have time to try it tonight but the weekend for sure.

Ok, F this! not worth saving a few bucks per tube. Not a complete loss as I slime'd my wife's cruiser and my two kids bikes (schrader) and also the wheelbarrow - god I hope it holds air now.

It's just too much hassle trying to fill the presta valve's, in my opinion, I'll happily pay the price for Slime 29er tubes and not give it a second thought.

Maybe I'll try filling in a small hole as somebody mentioned, I just don't like the idea of putting a bigger hole in a tube, maybe it's ok - I'm just not keen on it.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Yea, while it does work.. just like in the instructions.. it's a serious PITA at times. FWIW the second time was much easier
    mike

mtbr member

Some Success!

I gave it a shot last night as well. The top of the Presta does indeed unscrew off. Screws back on easily as well. So no damage to the valve stem.

The tough part is getting the slime into the valve. I actually used a "smallish" soda straw. Smaller than a normal straw, but bigger than a coffee-type mixer straw. I'm not sure how I had that lying around, but it worked. It was a two person job to hold the straw onto the valve and squeeze the slime bottle. It did get clogged once, but after unclogging, it went OK.

I think the trick is getting a plastic tube, like the one that comes with the slime, that is small enough to fit on the Presta valve but not too small that is won't fit on the slime bottle. If I had that, it would be a piece of cake. Too bad Slime didn't make that available. In hind sight, I am wondering if the flexible drip line stuff might work? Might have to make a run to Lowes at lunch!

EDIT: I checked the Slime Web Site. They recommend this method (versus using a smaller tube)

"Insert the end of the Presta valve into the tapered funnel opening of the top of the bottle and screw the bottle down until the end of the taper fits snugly against the wider part of the Presta valve and the hole of the valve is entirely inside the top of the bottle. This will create a seal so that slime will not escape when you are squeezing the bottle. It is easier to rotate the bottle, not the tube when screwing the bottle onto the valve."
    Last edited by Bike_Muchacho; 09-17-2009 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    I gave it a shot last night as well. The top of the Presta does indeed unscrew off. Screws back on easily as well. So no damage to the valve stem.

The tough part is getting the slime into the valve. I actually used a "smallish" soda straw. Smaller than a normal straw, but bigger than a coffee-type mixer straw. I'm not sure how I had that lying around, but it worked. It was a two person job to hold the straw onto the valve and squeeze the slime bottle. It did get clogged once, but after unclogging, it went OK.

I think the trick is getting a plastic tube, like the one that comes with the slime, that is small enough to fit on the Presta valve but not too small that is won't fit on the slime bottle. If I had that, it would be a piece of cake. Too bad Slime didn't make that available. In hind sight, I am wondering if the flexible drip line stuff might work? Might have to make a run to Lowes at lunch!

EDIT: I checked the Slime Web Site. They recommend this method (versus using a smaller tube)

"Insert the end of the Presta valve into the tapered funnel opening of the top of the bottle and screw the bottle down until the end of the taper fits snugly against the wider part of the Presta valve and the hole of the valve is entirely inside the top of the bottle. This will create a seal so that slime will not escape when you are squeezing the bottle. It is easier to rotate the bottle, not the tube when screwing the bottle onto the valve."
    I know you're using Slime but wouldn't it be must easier and less chance for clogging if you inject Stan's through a presta as opposed to trying to push Slime through? Stan's is less viscous than slime and definitely looks like it would flow much easier through a presta valve.

I have Stan's in my ghetto tubeless setup with prestas so I may try injecting that in before I go the route of breaking the bead to pour it in. I will probably be doing it soon so I will let you guys know what happens.

mtbr member
    BEWARE of Paul's recipee!

I'm not sure where I went wrong, but it blew up on my bench in Tucson with so much force that
    chollaball got a flat up in PHX.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member

Using Stans in Tubes?

Hmm. Using Stan's in Tubes? That's interesting. I guess I didn't consider that. I'm not bought into the whole tubeless thing yet (Not sure that there are enough benefits to make the switch), but trying a different sealant in the tubes is interesting.

Anyone out there running Stan's in tubes today?

Disgruntled Peccary
    I've been pondering Stan's in a tube... I need another wheelset, then I can go tubeless.
    mike

mtbr member
    Hmm. Using Stan's in Tubes? That's interesting. I guess I didn't consider that. I'm not bought into the whole tubeless thing yet (Not sure that there are enough benefits to make the switch), but trying a different sealant in the tubes is interesting.

I tried it about 2 years ago and it didn't work for me. And here's my theory why: latex needs
    to air-dry as it spews out of the hole. If there's any part of tire in the way, it can't dry. Once
    the tube loses just a little bit of air, a through-hole won't line up and the latex won't hit air
    on the way out of the tube. In addition, if this is a pinch flat, the latex will never hit
    the outside air and never dry up to seal the hole.

YLMV
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    I guess maybe I should have been a little more clear...

I'm using Stans in a ghetto tubeless setup (not inside a tube). I was trying to figure out how to put more Stans in my tires without having to un-seat the bead because I did the split tube method.

mtbr member

Have you tried going to ghetto tubeless? I didn't buy into the whole tubeless thing either but I was getting very frustrated with pinch flats and cactus spines. I have a hardtail so I wanted to run lower pressures to make my ride a little more comfortable also (but then the pinch flat gang comes and destroys everything).

To convert to ghetto tubeless, all it took was the cost of two tubes (I have a 29er so I bought 26" tubes) and a bottle of Stan's. I haven't looked back since... they have worked perfectly and I run about 28 PSI.

mtbr member
    I guess maybe I should have been a little more clear...
    It's chongoman's fault. Scroll up and you'll see he was the first to derail the thought
    process.

"3. let the screw fall into the tube and hold it between you fingers through the tube walls"

Yeah. Try that with a mounted ghetto strip with the tire in place.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    I guess I hadn't looked into going Ghetto Tubeless. But that looks like a good option if I want to go the tubeless route. My problem is as follows:

- I like to keep my tire pressure on the high side, so I have few to no pinch flats.
    - I need to carry a tube as backup whether I'm running Tubes or Tubeless. So no real advantage to Slime or Stans on that point.

So I think it really comes down to which sealant does a better job against against thorns (Mainly Cholla), as well as price / convenience / long lasting.

Given my situation, am I missing any other pros / cons?

I guess if I can run Stans in my tubes, that will give me a means to evaluate how well each does against Cholla.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    I tried it about 2 years ago and it didn't work for me. And here's my theory why: latex needs to air-dry as it spews out of the hole. If there's any part of tire in the way, it can't dry. Once the tube loses just a little bit of air, a through-hole won't line up and the latex won't hit air on the way out of the tube. In addition, if this is a pinch flat, the latex will never hit the outside air and never dry up to seal the hole.YLMV
    Oops. Sorry EP. I didn't see your post earlier.

I guess that kind of rules out Stan's in tubes. So given my situation where I like to run at a higher pressure, doesn't sound like going tubeless gets me a whole lot?

mtbr member

I Apologize Slime Guys!

I checked the Slime Web Site. They recommend this method (versus using a smaller tube). "Insert the end of the Presta valve into the tapered funnel opening of the top of the bottle and screw the bottle down until the end of the taper fits snugly against the wider part of the Presta valve and the hole of the valve is entirely inside the top of the bottle. This will create a seal so that slime will not escape when you are squeezing the bottle. It is easier to rotate the bottle, not the tube when screwing the bottle onto the valve."
    Well wouldn't you know it...if I would have just read directions first?!?! The new slime bottles indeed screw right onto the top of the Presta valves. Just like they say in the directions. You still have to hold onto the valve within the tube, but that's not tough. There is a higher probability of getting a clog due to the smaller stem diameter, but it's not much tougher than putting slime in a Schrader valve. Did 5 tubes this evening. Piece of cake.

Sorry SLIME guys! I should have read the directions first!

mtbr member
    I guess I hadn't looked into going Ghetto Tubeless. But that looks like a good option if I want to go the tubeless route. My problem is as follows:

- I like to keep my tire pressure on the high side, so I have few to no pinch flats.
    - I need to carry a tube as backup whether I'm running Tubes or Tubeless. So no real advantage to Slime or Stans on that point.

So I think it really comes down to which sealant does a better job against against thorns (Mainly Cholla), as well as price / convenience / long lasting.

Given my situation, am I missing any other pros / cons?

I guess if I can run Stans in my tubes, that will give me a means to evaluate how well each does against Cholla.
    Well, because of ghetto tubeless, you will be able to run lower pressures since you eliminate pinch flats from the picture. I also carry two tubes with me (I'm always paranoid) in case my ghetto tubeless somehow breaks itself while I'm out in the middle of nowhere (I hate using my bike as a hiking stick). If you google around and look at ghetto tubeless threads, you will find that the majority of people dont have any problem with their ghetto setup. They will run at least a year or so without any problems as long as they are setup correctly!

In fact, two weeks ago, I was riding Hawes and I had a good chunk of a cholla stuck in my tire. I didn't want to take it out because I didn't want to deal with cholla spines in my hands so I just left it on my tire. After a few minutes of riding, it eventually took itself off but I didn't lose any air. You have to remember, Stans is a latex based sealant so when it leaks out through a hole, it will hit the air and dry up sealing up the hole. Slime will just seep through trying to plug up the hole with the cotton fibers (I think that's what's in it) and seep out since it doesn't dry up. This is where you can see the pros and cons of each. Slime will continue to ooze but never dry up inside your tire. Stans will seal the hole but you need to refresh it now and then since it drys up inside the tire.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. Hope this helps! I love my ghetto tubeless setup. I just add air every now and then and I'm good to go.

Members who have read this thread: 6