Skills class in the Valley?- Mtbr.com
    EDR

Skills class in the Valley?

Curious if anyone knows if any mtb skills classes are offered in the Valley.

Over the past year I have taught myself how to take ledge drops that are too large to roll. Several feet to flat and I even hit some 5 footers to a very steep tranny out at the pit area.

My problem is I can't drop ledges at slow speed. I can wheelie drop where I pedal hard for a stroke and loft the front end but I see guys all the time do walking speed drops to flat by just lofting the front and holding it. I need speed to do this.

My buddy points out that every time we see someone do this they are on a slacker fr/dh type bike. I'm sure that helps but I'm also sure the same can be done on my 575.

Any suggestions?

-Jamie

mtbr member
    I've been working on this as well, the slower you go the quicker you will need to shift your body weight from front to back. It definately requires more focus and balance.
    The movement is similair to trying to move your bike on flat ground without pedaling. (rocking back and forth)

wretch
    I think a big help is the right gearing (as usual) get it so your in a gear thatll give you a good pop and get the foot up at around vertical or 12oclock the only other tip that might help assuming you can actually ride (which I assume you can) is to push the back wheel down as soon as you feel it take off.

Pivotal figure
    The slack geo. helps but one thing that also goes with it is the shorter stem length most of us FR types run. It makes climbing a bit tougher but really helps you get your weight back for steep stuff and makes it easy to lift the front for dropping in. I don't know of any skills classes other than what you pick up from other riders. Watch them and then practice, practice...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I think a big help is the right gearing (as usual) get it so your in a gear thatll give you a good pop and get the foot up at around vertical or 12oclock the only other tip that might help assuming you can actually ride (which I assume you can) is to push the back wheel down as soon as you feel it take off.
    Trying to do this manual style. No peddling, just lofting the front. I can wheelie drop but that's dicey sometimes

Pivotal figure
    Manuals are something you just have to do over and over to get comfortable with. I can do them OK but only because I'm always trying to pull them, whether I'm on flat or going off a drop. The good thing with learning that technique is that it will make you a very smooth rider. Wheelie drops are pretty sketchy, I only do those when I don't have any choice (tight spots or if I stall out)..
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

A Huckin' Hypocrite

School of Hard Drops

Melissa Buhl put on a class last year, not sure if she has plans to continue putting them on or not. This video has some good info and footage that may provide the key info you're looking for.

http://www.declinemagazine.com/visua...dride_vol1.htm
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Just Joshin' ya!
    Can you manual well? Especially on the trail?
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Members who have read this thread: 0