Shaman
    Apr 2004

Skills Camps in AZ this Winter

Want to have more fun on the trails, be more efficient and mountain bike with more confidence? Just like any other sport, to ride with skill you need proper technique. BetterRide’s team of professional coaches is dedicated to teaching riders of all levels the skills to ride in balance, in control & have more fun on their bikes!

The BetterRide structured skills progression has under gone 13 years of evolution to become the most effective mountain bike skills coaching in the US. With the help of World Champions, top coaches from other sports and 21 years of coaching experience BetterRide founder Gene Hamilton has taught his certified coaches to get you riding at your best.

In this 3 day camp you will learn the non-intuitive core skills that over 2,000 mountain bike enthusiasts of all experience levels (including two World Champions and many National Champions) have already invested in. With ideal riding conditions and professional racers/certified coaches the Arizona camps are filling up fast! Reserve your spot today and start riding up to our potential!

Dec. 16-18 Mountain Bike Camp w/ Coaches Dante and Jackie Harmony - 2 spots left

Jan 13-15 Women's Mountain Bike Camp

Jan 20-22 Mountain Bike Camp

Feb 3-5 Downhill Mountain Bike Camp

Feb 24-26 Mountain Bike Camp

"I learned more today than in the last 10-11 years of just riding" - Ross Schnell
    (In a rushed 3.5 hour lesson, BetterRide camps are 19-22 hours over 3 days)

Thanks, Gregg for permission to post these events.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    May 2008
    $618. lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GHEW! I am in the wrong line of work apparently...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1 on the lol. I had a buddy go to one of these and he stated that it was not worth the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thats a lot of cash.
    '06 Big Hit 1
    '06 Stump Jumper FSR
    http://www.youtube.com/Irishcarbombs85

SCRUBDUNKER
    I would be interested if they were decidedly less than $618. Not a strong enough value statement to justify the expense.

74 & 29 pilot
    WOW! I couldn't see people paying that much for a 3 day riding coach in good economy. I could see sending the Mrs. since she just started the Mt. part of biking, but it would have to be $300 less than current price.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    I'll let you know when I am done. Up until this thread I have only heard good things about skills lessons on these boards.

Personally the time commitment is a bigger deal to me than the money. I have spent more on upgrades to my bike. If I have 3 fun days on my bike and leave a better rider I will be very happy. I think it will depend a lot on how good the instructors are at teaching.

I will report back either way

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    does it take place inside a big hot sweaty sealed tent with a roaring fire?

The .05 percent
    Did one of Gene's camp with my team in 2007, and it does not matter how good you think you are, cause most of us probably have delusional thoughts of being Sam Hill, but he will make you a better rider. It really makes a difference when someone offers an outside perspective on how your form looks and offers suggustions and drills to help you improve. Well worth the money. My .02
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When I bought my first mountain bike I asked the guys at my LBS where to go for "lessons". They laughed and told me that I would just pick it up. I was 57 years old and not a great athlete. After 2 1/2 years of riding I was frustrated with my lack of progress. I took Gene's Hamilton's Betteride camp in Fruita twice, once in 2007 and again in 2008. I don't remember how much it was, I don't think it was $618. In anycase, I thought it was totally worth it and I got more out of it the second time.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Haven't attended and am not affiliated, but I've heard from several riders that did pay to attend that the camp really is worth the money and made them better riders. Anecdotal for sure, but you may want to do a bit of research before spanking the camp due to price.

Cholla Magnent
    I don't have the cash right now, so can't go but would do a one day camp for $200. How many of you drop hundreds of bucks on your drivetrain just to shave some grams? Wouldn't it be better to invest in the one thing that stays constant whatever bike you get? The RIDER. That investment will never go away. To each their own though.

It is funny that in most sports people do skill drills and can get lessons but in MTB people don't even think about it that way. My bro coaches a HS mtb team and has given me drills to work on. That has improved my riding way more than ANY multi hundred dollar equipment upgrade.
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    does it take place inside a big hot sweaty sealed tent with a roaring fire?
    I don't care who you are,thats funny.
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    So for 3 days.....Do they feed you and provide transportation? I'm a halfway decent rider but even I KNOW I have room for improvement in the skills department. $600+ is a big outlay but I'm not so sure it's extortion. I'd be very tempted by a $125 1 day clinic but I don't think I could justify the outlay for this one.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Beetlejuice!
    I too would be more interested in an affordable 1-day camp. In my business if I don't work I don't get paid...no vacation and no sick time. Taking three days off plus paying over $600 is not viable for me.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    I can honestly say taking the BetterRide camp was the Best thing I have done for my mountain biking and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about improving their mountain biking skills.

About the price, $600 plus is allot of money, you could buy a new wheel set, a new fork, some sweet carbon fibre stuff. But none of it will improve your riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Last edited by happyriding; 12-01-2011 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Compared to other outdoor activities that feature instruction and/or guiding $200/day is not unreasonable. You want to hire a guide to coach you on the fundamentals of catching the elusive trout with a fly rod? $300/person at Lees Ferry. Want to learn how to drive a rally car? A one-day course is $1000.

edit to add not. Pretty cheap really. I would also expect that all coaches have wilderness first aid and cpr creds.
    Last edited by rockman; 12-01-2011 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This course is with the Harmony's and they are more then qualified for the coaching. I rode yesterday with them and trust me you couldn't ask for better people to have coaching you. Not only are they awesome riders but they are very good people! I'm blown away at how good Jackie is now but I guess working your way into World Cup status will do that and Dante is one of my most favorite riders to watch. He is smooth as it get's and very playful on his bike. Anyone looking to gain skills should give this a try, I guarantee you will walk away a better rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    This course is with the Harmony's and they are more then qualified for the coaching. I rode yesterday with them and trust me you couldn't ask for better people to have coaching you. Not only are they awesome riders but they are very good people! I'm blown away at how good Jackie is now but I guess working your way into World Cup status will do that and Dante is one of my most favorite riders to watch. He is smooth as it get's and very playful on his bike. Anyone looking to gain skills should give this a try, I guarantee you will walk away a better rider.
    Awsome! Cant wait.

Tucson, AZ

That's worth the cash right there.

My other ride is your mom
    I once took a steep skiing clinic with Andrew McLean....don't matter if you know who he is....but...he's kinda a badass. Anyways.....I was a ski instructor.....pretty confident in my skillz....it took him 2 minutes of watching me to correct a simple thing....which completely transformed my turn style for the better. Just a simple change after 20 years of the same thing.....and yet, in all the self-help and group critiques I've gone through in my life of skiing.....nothing ever touched the profound, as did his simple comment.....His simple comment made me much more aggressively competent than I was before.....

Sure....the price is high....but....don't underestimate the value in a neutral second opinion, from a professional who is focused on you becoming better.......

That is all......

mtbr member
    Skill camps have thier place. More people need them than don't. Heck- If I had the coin and the time, would probably do it just to see what bad habits I have picked up over the years.

Another way to look at it, emergency deductible for a crash that you could have prevented is $500 for most. Add the flashing light transport and it gets higher.

I too though would prefer a 1 day refresher. And I don't think the $618 is out of line as long as they provide lunch and maybe snacks/fluids OR a big break on lodging nearby etc. They well may provide something like that-haven't looked yet.

I wonder if they need health insurance?
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I once took a steep skiing clinic with Andrew McLean....don't matter if you know who he is....but...he's kinda a badass. Anyways.....I was a ski instructor.....pretty confident in my skillz....it took him 2 minutes of watching me to correct a simple thing....which completely transformed my turn style for the better. Just a simple change after 20 years of the same thing.....and yet, in all the self-help and group critiques I've gone through in my life of skiing.....nothing ever touched the profound, as did his simple comment.....His simple comment made me much more aggressively competent than I was before.....

Sure....the price is high....but....don't underestimate the value in a neutral second opinion, from a professional who is focused on you becoming better.......

That is all......
    This is truth and once again, these guys rock! They are NO joke and can help you jump to the next level. Maad is right, it's strange how one observation from a trained professional can become a HUGE game changer but it's true. These guys aren't only some of the best riders in the world but they are also some of the best at analyzing what can be done to make your riding experiences SO much more.

Bloodied but Unbowed

That is all......
    Absolutely. While some may not be able to afford the $600, or may not see the value, those are individual value judgements, not fact based assessments. The reality is is that fee is very reasonable when compared to other types of true training and skills coaching from seasoned professionals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner View Post

that's worth the cash right there.
    sold, sold, sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtb enthusiast
    $618 is insane. Rather spend that on upgrades and ride with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    $618 is insane. Rather spend that on upgrades and ride with friends.
    yeah....it's stiff alright....but so is an XTR crank.....tough choice.....saved me about a half pound....did not do shite for my riding though.....

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner View Post
    This picture needs to be in that other thread about broads. Hottie for sure...

mtbr member
    yeah....it's stiff alright....but so is an XTR crank.....tough choice.....saved me about a half pound....did not do shite for my riding though.....
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Friend is attending the Dec camp. will be interested to get his feedback.

Meatbomb
    where will the camp be located ? SOMO ?

Shred...it's the new drug
    Just spoke with Gene of betteride.net...

We want to present a mini-clinic on December 16th at 1pm at the Scorpion Gulch at South Mountain. He will give us a small mini-clinic of some skill that you can use right away to improve your riding. We'll also be doing shuttles that afternoon so you can ride with the master and ask any questions you might have for those of you that might be on the fence of whether this is a worthy investment. Did I mention this is for FREE!

I'm also signing up for the January 20th camp and am super stoked to finally get put on the right track and bring my riding to the next level. I've reached a plateau in my riding and want to get out and have more fun on the trail and know this is the way to do it. I'm making the commitment to myself, my bike and my safety to learn the right skills and techniques to allow me to go faster, shred harder and have more fun! I've talked with a bunch of riders who have taken his camps and Jackie and Dante and Lear Miller who are graduates and want to ride like them...ripping. So don't think about what you're spending, think about what you're getting in ways of MOAR fun on your bike...that's priceless in my book:cornnut:

Meatbomb
    Is the mini-clinic going to be focused on DH skills? Or are skills skills and they cross over to all types of riding?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I once took a steep skiing clinic with Andrew McLean....don't matter if you know who he is....but...he's kinda a badass.
    Ever read this:

Roman Latta Avalanche Accident By Andrew McLean

mtbr member
    Here is a great write up by a fellow az mountain biker that took the 3 - day camp

2 Guaranteed Ways to Improve Your Mountain Bike Skills! - ChrisCowan.us

mtbr member
    May 2008
    MTB Kettlebell Conditioning Program
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    of course I have, several times in fact...and I've discussed it at length with my partners with whom I entrust my life with when I do all things BC.....do you have a point to make, or are you merely armchair quarterbacking a person who had tragedy befall him and his party?

The only reason I brought up McLean was to illustrate how someone who is quite exceptional in the skills department, can point out gaps in your own skill set and make you better. This, of course, was in the larger context of why someone would spend a good chunk of change on a skills camp.

Perhaps your line of passive aggressive questioning would be better suited to another forum where snow safety is discussed as opposed to mountain biking....such as our very own Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center, based in Northern Arizona. I would suggest that if you want to talk more of this....go to Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center - Home
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 12-02-2011 at 10:09 PM.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post

We want to present a mini-clinic on December 16th at 1pm at the Scorpion Gulch at South Mountain. He will give us a small mini-clinic of some skill that you can use right away to improve your riding. We'll also be doing shuttles that afternoon so you can ride with the master and ask any questions you might have for those of you that might be on the fence of whether this is a worthy investment. Did I mention this is for FREE!

I'm also signing up for the January 20th camp and am super stoked to finally get put on the right track and bring my riding to the next level. I've reached a plateau in my riding and want to get out and have more fun on the trail and know this is the way to do it. I'm making the commitment to myself, my bike and my safety to learn the right skills and techniques to allow me to go faster, shred harder and have more fun! I've talked with a bunch of riders who have taken his camps and Jackie and Dante and Lear Miller who are graduates and want to ride like them...ripping. So don't think about what you're spending, think about what you're getting in ways of MOAR fun on your bike...that's priceless in my book:cornnut:
    Stupid job! If I didn't have to work, I would be all over this.
    I would love to take a three day, if I ever get the cash together. Money well spent, if you can afford it. Sure, I could buy a decent set of wheels with that money but my big @ss is going to trash them fairly quickly. If I take the course and become a smoother rider and then buy the wheels, they will last much longer.

SCRUBDUNKER

What sort of riding will the clinic focus on? I would be interested. I also don't know where Scorpion Gulch is. I haven't made it down to SoMo yet.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    What sort of riding will the clinic focus on? I would be interested. I also don't know where Scorpion Gulch is. I haven't made it down to SoMo yet.
    Bob has provided links to maps of the pickup locations on his website.

Click on the link to Gnar Gnar Tours in Bob's signature line. Find the Downhill Shuttles link. Find the South Mountain Shuttles link. On that page there are links containing 'Scorpion Gulch'. Clicking on one of them will reveal a google map. Very handy.

Shovel Ready

Thanks to both of you for setting up a free day. Is this a DH oriented class or for general riding. I may get into DHing one day. For now I'm working on general riding skills. So if the free class is directed toward that I would enjoy it very much.

As for the cost of the 3 day clinic. It's the price! Take it or leave it. I can't afford it but not going to complain about it either. I could do that on just about every product or service I buy or use.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Is the mini-clinic going to be focused on DH skills? Or are skills skills and they cross over to all types of riding?
    skills are skills imo, and riding is riding. no matter what bike or trail you're on you still use 99% of the same skills. braking, cornering, body positioning, weight distribution, etc.

if it's assumed by many that DH'rs have better bike skills than XC or trail riders (not my assumption, but many do think that way), then how would 'DH skills' not apply to all forms of dirt riding?

there is a reason many of the top enduro racers (trans-provence, etc.) are current or previous pro DH'rs - the skills they've developed carry over to all disciplines of riding.

No Clue Crew
    In case anyone is interested they are having a clinic at Bootleg Canyon around the beginning of the year. Check the NV forum...

FWiW, I have no doubt that this would be $600 that would up my MTB skills dramatically. Unfortunately, if I had $600 burning a hole in my pocket I could find many other things that I would rather spend it on like a new hitch rack. I love MTBing and there's not much I'd rather do with my free time but it can't be a priority.

The Mrs would agree with me I could only.imagine the hell I'd catch if I dropped $600 on bike lessons with a wedding coming up :thumbsdown:

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    are you merely armchair quarterbacking a person who had tragedy befall him and his party?
    ...Perhaps your line of passive aggressive questioning
    I'm not sure what all that means. I was directing you to what I think is a powerful article written by someone I thought we shared a mutual respect for.

Alive and Lurkin'
    I would love to do a skills camp. Time, money and a newly acquired injured ankle keep that from becoming a reality at this point. Well worth the coin in my opinion. No amount of bling can take u to the next level like skills baby skills!

Sent from Jibro's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Beetlejuice!
    Agreed, I'm certainly not saying the price is not worth it...I've been looking at these classes for over a year now. Unfortunately its still not in my budget. I think many would agree that a one day class for a lower fee might be more manageable for some. Or how about taking this three day class and breaking it up throughout the year so you don't have to drop all the cash at once? I know, I know, there are travel costs and other logistics involved that make it difficult...but one can dream?

For those attending the class have fun and please post up some reviews!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider View Post
    Agreed, I'm certainly not saying the price is not worth it...I've been looking at these classes for over a year now. Unfortunately its still not in my budget. I think many would agree that a one day class for a lower fee might be more manageable for some. Or how about taking this three day class and breaking it up throughout the year so you don't have to drop all the cash at once? I know, I know, there are travel costs and other logistics involved that make it difficult...but one can dream?

For those attending the class have fun and please post up some reviews!

Thanks for your interest in BetterRide, as for breaking up a 3 day camp over the course of a year; logistics are obviously an issue, as you pointed out. Furthermore, the whole is worth more than the sum of three parts... 3 intensive days of training back to back has proven to be the most effective in terms of skills progression.

If you have interest in a 2 day camp, we do offer them from time to time and have considered adding one in Phoenix since the AZ camps are filling up so quickly. For more details or to express your interest shoot an e-mail to Info@BetterRide.net
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr View Post
    So for 3 days.....Do they feed you and provide transportation? I'm a halfway decent rider but even I KNOW I have room for improvement in the skills department. $600+ is a big outlay but I'm not so sure it's extortion. I'd be very tempted by a $125 1 day clinic but I don't think I could justify the outlay for this one.
    Food and transportation are not provided (except in the case of our downhill camps, shuttles are included). The $600 covers 3 full days of professional skills coaching in a small group environment where every rider gets personal assessment/coaching. For more details on a BetterRide camp you can check out Frequently Asked Questions - BetterRide.net Also, as mentioned in the previous post, adding a 2 day camp to the schedule is a possibility.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    I too have heard a lot of great things about the BetterRide camps. I wish I had the cash for one right now!

I'd love to attend the mini-intro next Friday. Are there sign-ups, or just come for the regular Friday shuttles?
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

Here's the deal with this Friday...

Friday December 16th, 2011

Gene Hamilton of Betteride.net will be putting on a free 20 minute ride clinic at 1pm at the Scorpion Gulch parking lot (Scorpion Gulch - Google Maps). He will be sharing a few tips of how to become a better rider and have a question and answer period after.This is just a little taste test of the 21 hour course he's putting on numerous times this winter. If you'd like to stick around and do some shuttles and ride with the man, The Gnar Van will be doing it's regular shuttle thing till dark. To get a better head count of how many we are going to expect...please email events@gnargnartours.com with "Betteride Clinic" in the subject. This will be a great opportunity to learn a little bit and hang out with Gene Hamilton and pick his brain and ride with him.

Tucson, AZ
    xpost...sorry

Don't forget tomorrow!!!! Clinic at 1pm. See above!

Meatbomb
    Job gets in the way again .....

Huffy Rider
    Fun time! The mini clinic was awesome, I learned a lot. We rode Geronimo to test out what we just learned. This guy knows what he is talking about. Hopefully I can scrape together the $$ to go to the full class next year.

Shaman
    Apr 2004

Announcement: Jackie Harmony to coach Women's Mountain Bike Camp

Lady riders, it's just been determined that BetterRide Certified Coach and Pro Downhill Racer Jackie Harmony will be coaching the Women's Mountain Bike Camp Jan. 13-15! Learn the BetterRide skills progression from a world class rider and inspiring coach. There are still a couple spots left in this camp, don't miss your opportunity register before it sells out!
    www.betterride.net

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    There are only 2 spots left in the February 24-26 Mountain Bike Camp! Register before it sells out and learn the most effective mountain bike skills training system in the US.

Core Mountain Biking Skills Learned In Camp:

Correct Body Position
    Balanced Weight Placement
    Vision - How to Look Ahead Correctly
    Bike Set up for Optimal Riding and Control
    Cornering Technique with Take Home Drills
    Advanced Cornering Technique
    How to Brake Effectively
    How to Use Your Brakes for Speed
    Correct Technique for Uphill and Downhill Switchbacks
    How to Clear Large Obstacles
    How to Interpret the Trail to Ride Fast and Smooth
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    Where is the 24-26 camp located ? I'm guessing Somo ?

Papago and McDowell. So awesome! Ive been riding for 5 years and learned more in my 3 days of camp

mtbr member
    I cant find anything on there web site with times or locations. McDowells and Papago would be cool. Can the guy from Betterride.net provide a little more info ? Just happens to be my B Day and might be able to pull this off. My cornering at speed sucks for sure.

Starts at 9 goes till 4 or 5 each day...locations disclosed in sign up email. Do it...best gift you Can give yourself. MOAR FUN ON TRAIL!

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSuperman View Post
    I cant find anything on there web site with times or locations. McDowells and Papago would be cool. Can the guy from Betterride.net provide a little more info ? Just happens to be my B Day and might be able to pull this off. My cornering at speed sucks for sure.
    Thanks, for your interest in BetterRide. All the information about camp can be found on our website, with the exception of the exact camp location. We will send specific locations/directions to registered riders before the camp. Like Bob said, the camp will start between 9 and 10am each day and will go until 4 or 5pm with a break for lunch (so be sure to pack fuel for the day). If you have anymore questions feel free to shoot us an e-mail at Info@BetterRide.net
    www.betterride.net

Old-newbie
    I took this class 2 years ago. It was fun, and very informative. At the end of the class Gene asked if we had gotten our money's worth. I think that everyone else said "yes". Typically the odd man out, I said "I don't know yet". You see, the camp doesn't just teach skills. It teaches the fundamentals underlying the skills. The direct coaching will show you what works, what does not, and, most importantly, how to exercise the specific basic behaviors that integrate to make you a faster and safer rider. I came out of the camp with a set of tools that I could choose to use when I wanted to get better in specific areas. Roughly 200 rides later, I am still using those tools to get better every ride. I do not aspire to be the fastest rider on the trail. But I do so very much love ripping the downhill sections, and a properly drifted turn with a fast exit is a major thrill. I can do this now with casual confidence because Gene and Andy pointed me in the right direction.

So, yes, it was worth the money.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...