mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Singlespeeders in North Phoenix?

Wife and I are moving to Cave Creek next month and I am trying to prep our bikes so we can hit the trails (early in the morning) hard when we get there...

We both have geared hardtails and fully rigid single speeds. Does anyone there really ride single speed? I really don't wanna put gears on this bike... I ride a 32:17 here, would love to leave that gearing, but it's pretty flat here. Thoughts?

Aside from Converting to tubeless tires, anything else I should know about?

I think her single speed will be converted into a commuter, and mine could be too, just really want to avoid it.

Looking forward to meeting/riding with some of you guys in the coming months and learning about the area. It is a far cry from humid Florida.

Got a suspension fork
    I've gone from FS geared 29er to rigid SS 29er. Works great around here. I can't push 17 though, 32x21 suits me well up the hills and I spin like a mofo on the flats and slight descents. Would be more than happy to show you my home turf, Dreamy Draw once you get settled.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks! That is great to hear. We have a pretty big singlespeed group here in Gainesville, FL and I would hate to have to ditch the style all together.

I can't imagine the spinning on 32:21!!!!!!!! But if that's the gearing I will need, that's the gearing I will use.

Got a suspension fork
    Most people tend to run 20, down to 18 I would say. But if you hit the big hills, I just can't do that myself - 21 lets me climb most of the stuff without walking. I'm more concerned with riding up stuff than getting another mph or two on the flats.

There are a lot of SS'ers here in the Phoenix area, no worries there. I use and recommend Specialized Purgatory tires, they're good in the chunk, long lasting, and pretty tough. Whether you go for them or something similar - you'll want tough tires.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Do you have a 29'er? Or 26'er? I'm guessing that by running 32/17 gearing you are on a 26'er.

A lot of us ride singlespeeds in Arizona...myself included...but...(and this is a big BUT)...for the most part we all ride 29'ers. A 26'er SS in Arizona pretty much sucks because it's too damn rocky here...meaning it's too damn hard to keep up your momentum in the chunk..and it's also really abusive on your body. The 29'er wheels really smooth things out on a hardtail. (FWIW - I've had both a 26 and 29 SS hardtail, and the comparison isn't even close)

I have a Bianchi Rita 29'er SS. On a 29'er, a good gear option is 32/20...which in my opinion is the best compromise for a hill climbing and flat spinning. That works out to a 32/18 on a 26'er. A 32/17 is going to be a suffer-fest unless you're really really strong. I tried 32/17 gearing for about 6 months on my old 26'er and my achy back and knees told me to return to the 32/18 setup.

But as for rubber, that's where we differ from most everywhere else. Ditch the skinny 2.0" semi-slick stuff you all run down South or in the Midwest. In Arizona you will want to run a 2.3" tire with beefy tread up front...and a nice wide rim to put that rubber on...and you'll want to go tubeless. Popular options here are Stans Flow and Mavic 823. Our rocks chew the crap out of tires, and our thorns puncture tubes like swiss cheese...so big fat tubeless rubber is a must.

Oh...and BTW...welcome to Arizona. Everything here makes you bleed and destroys your bike, but our riding kicks so much ass you won't care.

Thx...Doug

AZ Mountain Biking Member
    32/22 here running many of the dreamy draw trails. Could run 32/19 or 32/20 to avoid spinning like mad on the flats but man there are some damn steep hills here! You'll be glad youre running a 32/19 or better gear.

Eroding into the trail
    Keep a sharp eye for our slithery little friends w/rattles & resist the urge to pet them!

Enjoy the nice weather we have now before the desert climate resembles Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Do you have a 29'er? Or 26'er? I'm guessing that by running 32/17 gearing you are on a 26'er.

A lot of us ride singlespeeds in Arizona...myself included...but...(and this is a big BUT)...for the most part we all ride 29'ers. A 26'er SS in Arizona pretty much sucks because it's too damn rocky here...meaning it's too damn hard to keep up your momentum in the chunk..and it's also really abusive on your body. The 29'er wheels really smooth things out on a hardtail. (FWIW - I've had both a 26 and 29 SS hardtail, and the comparison isn't even close)
    Gotta call a big BS on this statement. My wife and I do just fine on 26er singlespeeds. We do most of the AES races and have ridden all over the state. We ride the very rocky McDowells quite regularly and manage to survive. No one "needs" a 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    Wife and I are moving to Cave Creek next month and I am trying to prep our bikes so we can hit the trails (early in the morning) hard when we get there...

We both have geared hardtails and fully rigid single speeds. Does anyone there really ride single speed? I really don't wanna put gears on this bike... I ride a 32:17 here, would love to leave that gearing, but it's pretty flat here. Thoughts?

I think her single speed will be converted into a commuter, and mine could be too, just really want to avoid it.

Looking forward to meeting/riding with some of you guys in the coming months and learning about the area. It is a far cry from humid Florida.
    You'll want to stop by Flat Tire bike shop in Cave Creek - really great folks. Two of their wrenches (Kaolin and Spencer) are singlespeeders. The shop does a Sunday morning ride each week as well.

In my humble opinion, the riding in Arizona is superb. You have a huge range of conditions and types of trails to choose from. Just need to do a little driving.

Enjoy!

--Jeff

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Gotta call a big BS on this statement. My wife and I do just fine on 26er singlespeeds. We do most of the AES races and have ridden all over the state. We ride the very rocky McDowells quite regularly and manage to survive. No one "needs" a 29er.
    Doug may have said need, and that can certainly be questioned. I wrote a 26" SS for a short time out there and I certainly prefer my 29er SS without a doubt. Don't think I would be able to ride rigid on a 26" bike.

mtbr member

I dont ride too much up by you, so not too sure of the trails. Some areas in town McDowell comp loops, Pemberton Trail and parts of South Mountain you can get away with the 17 if your a fairly strong rider. 18 can be pretty common for SOMO and Hawes trails, while a 20 is needed for the big climbing in the McDowell Sonoran preserve trail system. Again not sure if your on a 29er or 26er, but best thing is get out there and have fun and see what you can do!!

I never said anybody "needs" a 29'er. Where did you even get that from my comment? I just recommended one. I never said anybody "needs" fat rubber either...but are you going to tell me you and your wife do just fine on 1.9" tubed tires as well?

The only thing I said was that 29'er Singlespeeds outnumber 26'er Singlespeeds here in Arizona and that they are more comfortable to ride on our chunky trails. While I have no facts to back up my comment (about the #'s), I do plenty of the long distance races here in AZ and 26'er Singlespeeds have now become the exception...not the norm. Even on the trails in Phoenix and Flagstaff, I see many more "weekend warrior" riders on 29'ers than 26'ers.

And as far as comfort goes, I spent 5 yrs on a 26'er SS and 3 on a 29'er. There is no comparison - the 29'er is smoother by a long shot. And when you're pushing 42 yrs old, that helps the body greatly.

So I will and will always continue to recommend 29'ers to people who ride singlespeed hardtails in Arizona. They make sense for our terrain...a lot of sense...just like tubeless tires do.

If you and your wife do just fine on 26'er SS bikes, then that's cool. You both must be a lot tougher than me.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow... should have specified.... lol

I ride a 29er singlespeed (Karate Monkey) and wife rides a 26er single speed (1x1). Both of us push 32:17. I imagine I will try 32:20 first, and maybe I will graduate to a stiffer gear. Her's is going to be geared for road.

Our hardtails are both 26ers. I have ridden a lot of chunk (Colordo, North Carolina, and Tennessee on a 26er and done fine, but the suspension becomes much more important with the mini-wheels. lol)

Will look into the tires.

Stopped by Flat tire in February when we were looking at houses. GREAT group of guys and looking forward to dropping some coin in that shop.

I ride a 29er singlespeed (Karate Monkey) and wife rides a 26er single speed (1x1). Both of us push 32:17. I imagine I will try 32:20 first, and maybe I will graduate to a stiffer gear. Her's is going to be geared for road.
    32/20 is the perfect gearing to start with on your KM...then you can tinker from there. Personally I think 32/20 is the best "do it all" gear ratio.

I bought an 18, 19, and 21t cog too -- with the intent to swap them out to match the characteristic of the ride. But truth be told, I've been too lazy to make the swap...so the 20t has been on the bike since it was new in 2008 and I've used it on everything from flatter rides to the Whiskey 50 (which has a 12-mile climb).

Anyway, good luck with the move and I hope to see you on the trails someday. I am usually on my bright red Rita SS or a Kona Hei-Hei 29.

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    I roll 32x20 ALL over Dreamy Draw.....Drew

I never said anybody "needs" a 29'er. Where did you even get that from my comment? I just recommended one. I never said anybody "needs" fat rubber either...but are you going to tell me you and your wife do just fine on 1.9" tubed tires as well?

The only thing I said was that 29'er Singlespeeds outnumber 26'er Singlespeeds here in Arizona and that they are more comfortable to ride on our chunky trails. While I have no facts to back up my comment (about the #'s), I do plenty of the long distance races here in AZ and 26'er Singlespeeds have now become the exception...not the norm. Even on the trails in Phoenix and Flagstaff, I see many more "weekend warrior" riders on 29'ers than 26'ers.

And as far as comfort goes, I spent 5 yrs on a 26'er SS and 3 on a 29'er. There is no comparison - the 29'er is smoother by a long shot. And when you're pushing 42 yrs old, that helps the body greatly.

So I will and will always continue to recommend 29'ers to people who ride singlespeed hardtails in Arizona. They make sense for our terrain...a lot of sense...just like tubeless tires do.

If you and your wife do just fine on 26'er SS bikes, then that's cool. You both must be a lot tougher than me.

Thx...Doug
    Don't know about tougher - definitely older.

We both ride Ti 26ers, so that may be part of the equation. I do have a Niner MCR, but don't ride it much cause I just can't get used to the heavy/big feeling of the 29er. As for comfort, I really don't notice it being smoother. I realize that makes me a minority, but someone has to be the oddball.

Not trying to pick a fight, just offering an alternative view.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I roll 32x20 ALL over Dreamy Draw.....Drew
    Have you ever tried climbing Shaw Butte with that gear combo? It's doable...but a beatch. I use that climb as my "fitness guage" on the SS. When I'm in good SS shape...I can muscle my way up that entire trail on 32/20 without walking any of it. When I'm in not-so-good shape...well...I cry like a baby.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Wow... should have specified.... lol

Our hardtails are both 26ers. I have ridden a lot of chunk (Colordo, North Carolina, and Tennessee on a 26er and done fine, but the suspension becomes much more important with the mini-wheels. lol)

Will look into the tires.

Stopped by Flat tire in February when we were looking at houses. GREAT group of guys and looking forward to dropping some coin in that shop.
    IMO, 32X17 will be too steep for Phoenix trails. I have a 29er, and run 32X18. For the most part, it's fine, and only a couple steeps I have to walk that those on higher gears can ride. I've tried a 32X20, and for me too spinny. But that's me.

I've never ridden in Colo, NC, or Tenn., but as others have stated, AZ and specifically Phx has some very unique terrain. Lots of very loose trails, babyheads, etc. Not the fast, hardpacked flow of the mountains.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

We both ride Ti 26ers, so that may be part of the equation. I do have a Niner MCR, but don't ride it much cause I just can't get used to the heavy/big feeling of the 29er. As for comfort, I really don't notice it being smoother. I realize that makes me a minority, but someone has to be the oddball.

Not trying to pick a fight, just offering an alternative view.
    No worries. It's interesting to hear you comment about not getting used to the "big/heavy feeling" of a 29'er. I thought the same thing too when I first threw my leg over my Rita -- it felt weird with the big fat wheels (my previous SS was a weight weenie bike) -- but after a few weeks of riding the Rita, I couldn't stand the feeling of a 26'er any longer.

Now I still own a 26'er, but it'a a 6.5" all-mountain fun bike (which I will probably always have...I LOVE that bike). The XC bikes are both 29'ers.

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    Have you ever tried climbing Shaw Butte with that gear combo? It's doable...but a beatch. I use that climb as my "fitness guage" on the SS. When I'm in good SS shape...I can muscle my way up that entire trail on 32/20 without walking any of it. When I'm in not-so-good shape...well...I cry like a baby.

Thx...Doug

I'm in "cry like a baby" shape .........Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ride 32/18 on my 29er, but I do find myself walking a few sections of the steeper climbs at Dreamy Draw. Gonna give 32/19 a try for the Whiskey 25.

A buddy rides 32/16 on his 26er, and does pretty well. He did try riding it rigid for a while, but just couldn't take it. Rigid on my 29er is great though.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I ride a 32x19t 29er and find the 19t works just fine on almost all the trails, 18t also but you need to be a littler stronger. (I am out of shape so I've been 19t) you should have 18t-20t and change out untill you find the golden one for you and later as you get stronger you can change it up. I can only think of two climbs where a 21t would be needed in this area and it's not worth it because the rest of the area you will only spin like crazy, I bought one and haven't used it yet. even the Whiskey off road is very ridable in 32x20t 29er. though people like Tom A will tell you to try 18t and he most likely uses a 17t. I prefer 3" front suspension, more than that is not needed on a 29er out here but rigid is too tough for me. have fun and when your ready let us know and we'll show you around T-100 and other areas. If you like racing there is a great race in Cave Creek they put on yearly, the bike shop can tell you all about it. that course is a good one on a 2:1 gear.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    I ride a 32x19t 29er and find the 19t works just fine on almost all the trails, 18t also but you need to be a littler stronger. (I am out of shape so I've been 19t) you should have 18t-20t and change out untill you find the golden one for you and later as you get stronger you can change it up. I can only think of two climbs where a 21t would be needed in this area and it's not worth it because the rest of the area you will only spin like crazy, I bought one and haven't used it yet. even the Whiskey off road is very ridable in 32x20t 29er. though people like Tom A will tell you to try 18t and he most likely uses a 17t. I prefer 3" front suspension, more than that is not needed on a 29er out here but rigid is too tough for me. have fun and when your ready let us know and we'll show you around T-100 and other areas. If you like racing there is a great race in Cave Creek they put on yearly, the bike shop can tell you all about it. that course is a good one on a 2:1 gear.
    We all ride differently though. I've been running 32x21 for quite a while now all over the steep stuff in DD and the McDowell's and I am pretty happy with it. Ironic maybe for me to say that I'm not a masher while I ride a SS... But I'm happier relatively spinning on a 21 for now than a 19 or 20. I'll probably move back to a 20t at some point, but don't really see the need right now. Maybe riding rigid suits the lower gearing?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Plenty of SS'ers in the Far North end of PHX that ride both 29' and 26" wheels,,,,,,saw about 15 out yesterday on Schultz, Fort Valley, Rocket Ridge and Lil Gnarly.Most common gears up here are 32x18 or 34x20 for normal wheels and 32x20 on Wagon Wheels BUT some people push slighly bigger gears.2 Wheels Good

aka Diesel
    Definitely tougher. Anyone, male or female, who has tried to keep up with your wife, learns that tough is an understatement.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

aka Diesel
    Welcome to you and your wife, and great to have another female single speeder in the mix! I ride a 29er SS, and I have ridden all over the valley and beyond with a rigid fork. You and your wife will be just fine if that's your deal.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Welcome to you and your wife, and great to have another female single speeder in the mix! I ride a 29er SS, and I have ridden all over the valley and beyond with a rigid fork. You and your wife will be just fine if that's your deal.
    Great to hear! Yeah, even though there's a huge group of single speeders here, Jennifer (my wife) is the only one who loves single speed.

We arrive there on 6/3 with our geared bikes. Single speeds and other bikes will have to wait until our stuff (on a POD) get there on June 10. Anyone wanna help us unload in exchange for some good home brew (my other hobby)?!?! lol But seriously...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Kaolin and Spencer have done all my upgrades to my HiFi including a Tubeless conversion which I've had zero problems with. Best wrenches in town in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, if I don't get around to the conversion before we leave, I will probably just have them do it...

I would like to do it myself (I do almost everything myself since I like to learn and know how things work), but I am not sure time will permit it this time.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Definitely tougher. Anyone, male or female, who has tried to keep up with your wife, learns that tough is an understatement.
    Amen to that. She dropped me on the Schebly climb during our last Flag-Sed-Flag ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Amen to that. She dropped me on the Schebly climb during our last Flag-Sed-Flag ride.
    She's too fast...get her a 29er to slow her down!

Anywhere other than in the Phoenix area and I would sooner use a 26 single speed. Other than bridging rocks efficiently and tracking well while going fast, a 26 has more punch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The email about this thread just reminded me it's time to get my Stan's and go ghetto tubeless!

Members who have read this thread: 1