Single Speed/Rigid Around Tucson- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Single Speed/Rigid Around Tucson

Are there a lot of single speed rigid riders in the Tucson area? I'm looking at potentially moving to Tucson and thats what I've been riding on the East Coast. Looking at all the pictures and videos of the trails, it looks a lot more technical than what our trails are like here in Georgia.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Define a lot

Quite a few of us run rigid SS but more run a suspension fork. The trails here are pretty rocky just takes some getting used to...or stupidity

mtbr member

There are a lot of SS riders here.

While it is true that a lot of the trails are rocky and technical, there are some good options for SS riding if you are not used to the rocky technical stuff.

The lower part of 50 year is ideal for SS riding, and so is the 20 miles of trails at Fantasy Island. But I have also seen some very strong SS riders on some trails I could barely make with gears, so it can be done depending on your strength.

mtbr member
    There are a few of us in Phoenix as well! Again a lot use front forks due to the somewhat rocky terrain, but if you dont mind being a little slower through some of the rough stuff, its all pretty rideable. I run a Weirwolf on the front and have noticed a little difference from switching over from a Captain 2.2.

I know David Benjes who runs DCB Adventures rides a rigid Gunnar and he lives in Tucson, he might post up and would be a good source for Tucson riding as well as some others.

Good luck and dont forget Phoenix is real close and tons of great trails up here!

~~~~~~~
    i ride my SS quite a bit here, but i don't think you could convince me to put my rigid fork back on it. most of the trails close to town are actually ideal for ss riding i think. that said, i did purchase a (well two...) full suspension bikes in the past 4 months. i still like my SS the best though for most of the more local area stuff.

~~~~~~~
    chad. no smart ass comments....

Plus size jersey model
    There are a good many of us round here. I will be attempting millie on the rigid SS Tuesday so anythings possible around here it just depends on how much abuse you care to put yourself through. I have also been getting together a group of 4-5 SS riders on fridays for a nice Robles ride which is great for SSing.

mtbr member
    Are you a Hipster?

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    Are you a Hipster?
    Yes, but only because I like the tight pants.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4E...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info. I've got a suspension fork that I normally ride for 6 and 12 hour races but haven't really felt a need for suspension in Middle Georgia. Hoping everything works out with the job deal and maybe I'll see you guys soon.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    i ride my SS quite a bit here, but i don't think you could convince me to put my rigid fork back on it. most of the trails close to town are actually ideal for ss riding i think. that said, i did purchase a (well two...) full suspension bikes in the past 4 months. i still like my SS the best though for most of the more local area stuff.
    No smart a comments here.... But I might add, rigid SS is great until you start really doing a lot of miles. I'd recommend that you have two bikes, one rigid and one hardtail, in order to be able to switch it up from time to time.

slower than you
    when we ride our rigid singlespeeds in flagstaff this time of the year it often looks something like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    when we ride our rigid singlespeeds in flagstaff this time of the year it often looks something like this...
    It really looks like 1984 in Flagstaff right now?

Monocog Masher
    Bring your singlespeed down to Sierra Vista (an hour south of Tucson)...park in the lot located on the southwest corner of Buffalo Soldier Trail and Hwy 92. You will see a concrete wash - cross it and get on the Garden Canyon Linear Trail (municipal urban-to-rural trail that connects to the AZ famous Brown Canyon Trail) Follow this trail for about two to three miles until you are out of town and in Brown Canyon on the Brown Canyon Trail. Several trail options. Awesome single speed trail. Not flat, but all the climbs are manageable on a single speed and you will feel like you got a great workout. Not to mention you will probably run across one or more famous people who are also riding the trail. Bring a sharpie because if you ask nicely they might sign your jersey. ;-)

When you're done with your ride, drive over to Debbie's Deli and get one of the best sandwiches you will ever eat. I always thought a sandwich was a sandwich, but their sandwiches (subs) are on a whole nother level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    Are you a Hipster?
    hehehehehe hohohohoh oh my god. Is Sikwood a hipster? RUFKM?

Sik is antihip! He is so not hip....he is hip. Sik, I wish I was there riding with you tomorrow. Have fun at Millie with the rigid. A good thing to remember is all early mountain biking took place on rigid bikes. Suspension is great, but, all trails can be attempted with no suspension. And you do not have to be hip!!!

Hate Costs Money

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    It really looks like 1984 in Flagstaff right now?
    dude, that bike's not nearly that old... it's like an '85.

and i still use that helmet cover, too.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    What SS gearing are you guys running out there?

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Personally I run anything from a 32x16 to 32x18 on my Superfly SS 29er. 32x16 is a stiff gear for many trails but is great if you want to ride from home to the trailhead, also gives you a guaranteed workout every time you ride. Lots of folks seem happy running the standard 32 x 18 on their 29ers

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy J
    What SS gearing are you guys running out there?
    www.thesingletrackstore.com
    Magicshine 900 & 1400 Lumen Cycling Light Dealer in Arizona

mtbr member
    I'd expand that gear range to include 32x20. The SingleTrack Store is a fast/strong rider his gearing may not be representative of the masses. I'd estimate 32x18 is the average with more 32x20s than 32x16s.
    Cheers,
    M

Magicshine Light Dealer
    True I do love to suffer, there sure are plenty of trails to be enjoyed with a 32x20 setup, it all depends on how much you like to hurt I suppose. I ran a 32x17 out at the 24 hour course last week and it seemed perfect for a couple of laps. Might run a 32x18 on race day depending on trail conditions

Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    I'd expand that gear range to include 32x20. The SingleTrack Store is a fast/strong rider his gearing may not be representative of the masses. I'd estimate 32x18 is the average with more 32x20s than 32x16s.
    Cheers,
    M
    www.thesingletrackstore.com
    Magicshine 900 & 1400 Lumen Cycling Light Dealer in Arizona

Members who have read this thread: 0