EDR

Single ply Minion - tubeless?

I know lots of folks around here run wire bead (non ust) Minion/High rollers tubeless but I get the impression you all are running the dual ply DH version.

Anybody run the single-ply DH wire bead versions on ust rims? I'm thinking of giving it a try on my 819's but I don't want 1300 gram dual ply tires. I think the wire bead rather than Kevlar is the key so I'm thinking they'd work just fine. They have some great deals on 60d 2.5's in the UK, even with shipping it's a great deal. Those 2.5 single ply DH tires don't seem to readily available in the states as well, and the 2.3's are way small.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Hey Bro,

I'm in San Diego, I know your terrain is different. I've run 2.5 and 2.3 HR singles ghetto style on 823's. Although I didn't experience any problems, I prefer a tire wider than 2.29" in front, which is what the 2.5 measured. The 2.3 measured 2.125". Nothing wrong with them, and they have a nice tread pattern.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    Hey Bro,

I'm in San Diego, I know your terrain is different. I've run 2.5 and 2.3 HR singles ghetto style on 823's. Although I didn't experience any problems, I prefer a tire wider than 2.29" in front, which is what the 2.5 measured. The 2.3 measured 2.125". Nothing wrong with them, and they have a nice tread pattern.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. A 2.3 tire on a 823 would be a bit thin. My current Fat Albert ust up front measures right at 2.3 and I'm happy with that so the 2.5 Minion, if it measures up to your HR, should be just fine on my 819's.

I take it the sidewalls on the single ply are sturdy enough? That's another concern with my terrain. Some tires have a paper thin sidewall, that's no good for me and the ONLY reason I gave up on Speshy Chunder Control 2Bliss tires. Aside from the sidewalls I loved those tires.

dirt visionary
    I have the single ply 2.5 wire bead minions on one of my bikes. Light as a mo-fo and strong. Also Daniel has a pair I sold him and he beat the snot out of them at sunrise with no issues.

I did happen to puncture one of my rears on somo one day but that was my fault for running dual ply tire pressures. A quick plug and it was good to go .

edit:

Better and stronger than the chunders
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

EDR
    Better and stronger than the chunders
    Perfect.

Do you have the 2.5 single ply wire beads at the shop? I haven't been able to find them locally.

dirt visionary
    crc had them and I got mine off ebay

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    crc had them and I got mine off ebay
    Oh.....I thought you were a Cactus guy. My bad.

CRC does not currently have the Minion SP in a 2.5. I have noticed that their stock comes and goes. Merlin Cycles has them but they offer the Minion in a front/rear combo deal only. I want to run a HR in the rear but I might get the combo anyway and just deal with it. I can move my FA to the rear or I could also use my old Chunder until it either wears out or I puncture the sidewall (agian). At any rate I don't think the Minion 'rear' tire is a bad choice for someone who climbs most everything they descend. The HR just looks like it would hook up much better climbing National.

mtbr member
    I've been running single ply minions and high rollers on 819's tubeless for a few years now. This spring I did manage to rip the sidewall on the first ride going down Javelina. Patched it up with some thread and a tire patch, and it's still holding.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Has anybody tried running the 2.35 Minion's tubeless on Flows rims? (I'm talking the kevlar bead, not the wire bead)

I have 2 of these tires that I got with a wheelset and they have not been used yet. The plan is to put them on my bike once the Nevegals wear out.

Thx...Doug

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Has anybody tried running the 2.35 Minion's tubeless on Flows rims? (I'm talking the kevlar bead, not the wire bead)

I have 2 of these tires that I got with a wheelset and they have not been used yet. The plan is to put them on my bike once the Nevegals wear out.

Thx...Doug
    In other words, next week is when you will change out the Nevegals... . Are you running the Nevegals tubeless? I hear that Kenda and Stans in no bueno. My experience with Nevegals at SOMO is repeated sidewall tears and curse words. I run LUST High Rollers now and so far no sidewall tears.

I don't think help, but it was nice to hear myself talk. (heavy sarcasm there)

bobo

EDR
    I hear that Kenda and Stans in no bueno
    There have been problems with the Kenda developing a huge blister when used with sealant. I tried it anyway with a 2.35 Nev but it would never even come close to sealing at the bead so I never did get to run it. Probably just as well.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I've been running single ply minions and high rollers on 819's tubeless for a few years now. This spring I did manage to rip the sidewall on the first ride going down Javelina. Patched it up with some thread and a tire patch, and it's still holding.

Wire bead or Kevlar?

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    One of my LUST Maxxis High Rollers did the same blister thing. I have used 3 other High Rollers with Stan's and no problems. Bead would not seal with the Nevegal? Interesting.

Bob

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    In other words, next week is when you will change out the Nevegals... . Are you running the Nevegals tubeless? I hear that Kenda and Stans in no bueno. My experience with Nevegals at SOMO is repeated sidewall tears and curse words. I run LUST High Rollers now and so far no sidewall tears.

I don't think help, but it was nice to hear myself talk. (heavy sarcasm there)

bobo
    I've had good luck with the Nevegals staying together (running the DTC version, which might be more durable than the Stick-E). It was Kenda Small Block 8's that consistently tore apart on me.

Anyway, I'm running the Nevegals tubed for now. I was going to run the Minions tubed at first...but if people have good luck running them tubeless I will give that a try.

Interesting comment about the Nevegals and bubbling. My friend would get bubbles in the casing with his Maxxis Larsens and Crossmarks. He used Bontrager sealant. I haven't heard people have that happen w/Stans sealant. Maybe Stans is easier on the rubber?

Thx...Doug

banned
    Jamie, have you checked out the Chunder SX 2.3? Sidewall is right between the 2Bliss model and a 2-ply casing...I have the Clutch SX mounted tubeless and I have no worry of the sidewalls not holing up at all...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    Jamie, have you checked out the Chunder SX 2.3? Sidewall is right between the 2Bliss model and a 2-ply casing...I have the Clutch SX mounted tubeless and I have no worry of the sidewalls not holing up at all...
    I have not. In fact never heard of them. Do they come in ust or 2bliss or just standard?
    I will look them up, thks.

Edit: looks like the sx is just the d/h version, no? Or is there another Chunder version as well? Anyhow I thought those were some heavy ass tires so I always stuck with the 'Controls'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride

Wire bead or Kevlar?
    Wire bead. I ran kevlars and burped them a few times. The wires hold to the rim better for me. YMMV.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I have not. In fact never heard of them. Do they come in ust or 2bliss or just standard?
    I will look them up, thks.

Edit: looks like the sx is just the d/h version, no? Or is there another Chunder version as well? Anyhow I thought those were some heavy ass tires so I always stuck with the 'Controls'.
    No, it's a lighter casing than the DH, but heavier duty than the Control. It's a "freeride casing" according to them. It's the same sidewall as the Clutch SX's I have, and they are about 900g...but if you're running Schwalbe UST's the weight should be about the same. I have been running them tubeless on flows with no issues at all, no burping, and NO sidewall damage! I do prefer the Chunder tread pattern though...maybe I'll trade them in for the Chunder SX's...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=42211

EDR
    No, it's a lighter casing than the DH, but heavier duty than the Control. It's a "freeride casing" according to them. It's the same sidewall as the Clutch SX's I have, and they are about 900g...but if you're running Schwalbe UST's the weight should be about the same. I have been running them tubeless on flows with no issues at all, no burping, and NO sidewall damage! I do prefer the Chunder tread pattern though...maybe I'll trade them in for the Chunder SX's...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=42211
    thks, I'll check them out this week if I don't just go ahead and order the Minions. The Minions and High Rollers will be much cheaper than the speshy tires, even with overseas shipping...crazy!!!

EDR
    Ok........so i'm gonna order tomorrow but does anyone here recommend I just stick with the Minion DHR for the rear. I was gonna do the High Roller but I wonder if the Minion in the rear would be a better all around tire. Looks like it rolls better.

For reference I need a tire that will bite good going up the rocks on National but I also ride more xc stuff at Hawes quite a bit.

Also Eyescream..........are you running that Chunder sx on tubeless on ust rims or ghetto style?

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    I got the 2.5" Minion F & R single ply wire 60a's for my first Phoenix trip in 2006 - still using the front and loving it. The rear was effective but a bit heavy going and I replaced it a 2.35 Highroller for our 2008 trip - same spec. That was dead after 2 solid weeks riding - tread worn out and sidewall tear. All were used with tubes but were a very solid fit on Mavic and DT rims and would have gone tubeless very well.

I replaced the Highroller with a 2.4 Advantage (same spec) mounted ghetto pipe tape style with Stans which was on for the Fling this year and has now done the Alps and quite a lot of trail riding since. Aired up really easily and zero issues so far - still a bit heavy going but hooks up the best of all of them and shows very little wear so far.

I think the reason for that is that it grips so well - I was always aware of the Highroller "creeping" or even slipping on dusty rock and that no doubt accelerated the wear. The Advantage seemed to get up steps and steeps much more securely - the only issue is that it is a relatively heavy pedalling tyre so might try the smaller size next time. I would prefer it over the Minion Rear or highroller as a rear tyre for AZ riding.

The bike is the older type 575 and the 2.4 Advantage is a tight fit, so clearance might be an issue with the newer carbon rear - I will find out shortly when I build up my new frame
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

EDR
    The bike is the older type 575 and the 2.4 Advantage is a tight fit, so clearance might be an issue with the newer carbon rear - I will find out shortly when I build up my new frame
    Ya, I've heard the 2.4 Advantage rubs the cf brace so I have not bothered considering it (I have a '08 575). The 2.35 HR is just too small, I've seen them and they look like a 2.1-ish tire.

Thanks for the reply........and btw, are you affiliated with Merlin Cycles by any miraculous chance?

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    "btw, are you affiliated with Merlin Cycles by any miraculous chance?"

Nope - although I ordered something from them for the first time in ages this week - turned out they had a few last years XT cassettes at the old prices - remember those - about two thirds of the current prices

mtbr member
    Minion single-ply tires are PAPER THIN and will slice open when you hit your first rock on the sidewall not worth the $$$ to waste a tire over a few grams, unless you are a ballah and can get them like water.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by markskee
    Minion single-ply tires are PAPER THIN and will slice open when you hit your first rock on the sidewall not worth the $$$ to waste a tire over a few grams, unless you are a ballah and can get them like water.

That's good info for sure. Exactly what I needed to here. I was out all day and did not place the order, and I don't think I will. I did however use the Speshy satisfaction guarantee while I was out and swapped out my paper thin sidewall Chunder 2bliss tire for an Eskar 2.3 2bliss Armadillo tire. That sidewall is not super thick but it's far, far better than the Chunder Control

And fwiw the 2.3 Eskar is noticeably smaller in volume and width than the 2.2 Chunder....which is fine as I will use it as a rear tire.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by markskee

I slam rock with them all the time no problems and my buddy Daniel is rocking them now and with 5 trips to sunrise and numerous runs at somo they are holding up under his weight which is more than mine .

Not to mention I am hitting the jumps at NRA on these paper thin tires BTW they are way beefier than the chunder control sidewalls by a long shot IMHO Plus IMO 6oo+ gram weight savings over dual ply has its advantages.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork

Not to mention I am hitting the jumps at NRA on these paper thin tires BTW they are way beefier than the chunder control sidewalls by a long shot IMHO Plus IMO 6oo+ gram weight savings over dual ply has its advantages.
    ARRGH! You guys all have great info but it's making my head spin

If they are beefier than the Chunder control sidewalls then it's all good. There is no way I'm running the dual ply d/h versions........just too heavy for everyday riding. I ride plenty of Hawes xc in addition to SoMo.

I'm looking at the wire bead d/h singly ply versions for ust use. I think they'll work out fine and if not I'll just ebay them.

Thanks!

Old-newbie
    G'day!

I have single-ply wire bead Minions (DHF and DHR) on Mavic 819 rims. I punish them a couple of times a week on the east slopes of the McDowells, and they just fly.

On a different bike I ride Minion single ply kevlar beads with Easton DH rims and a Stan's FR kit in the same terrain. There was that one amazing washout that put me off the bike to do my impersonation of a snowmobile in the dust, but I had been deliberately pushing my luck.

On yet another bike I have a set of Eskar Control on Roval rims, tubeless. This setup is a bit like riding on ice. Very thin sidewalls that are cut to hell after about 1 kilomile. Also they wash out if I sneeze sideways. I have a set of High Rollers that will be going on this bike before I ever ride it again.

Oh yeah, I typically run 40-50 psi in my tires.

EDR
    I have single-ply wire bead Minions (DHF and DHR) on Mavic 819 rims. I punish them a couple of times a week on the east slopes of the McDowells, and they just fly.
    Thanks, I would be using these on 819's as well.

Oh yeah, I typically run 40-50 psi in my tires.
    Holy high pressure Batman I run just over 50psi.....if you add both tires together, haha.

Old-newbie
    More pressure = go downhill faster! Plus I got tired of dented rims

The Minion tread seems to work well on the local trails. I have run the dual ply DH tires, and it is a compromise. The higher rotating inertia makes for slower accel, but actually smooths out some of the snags on climbs. It is really sweet to be able to run over anything and not worry about sidewall damage. otoh if you hit a fresh cholla pod it might end up in your shin instead of the tire. It is always a compromise.

I have not been brave enough to try the kevlar bead with a ust rim. Some experiments I will leave to other riders.

I am becoming ever more fond of the 819 rims. They are easy to build, and I don't have to worry about popping holes in rim tape due to my high tire pressure habit.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Here ya go Jamie - 2.4 Advantage on the carbon rear. Tight as, but I am going to go with this for the October trip to Fruita and Moab - I will need to add a little helicopter tape though as, even if the tyre doesn't buzz the stays occasionally it will sure as h_ll drag mud through and scratch the surface off when I do the initial rides here - the last picture is out of my office window about 4pm this afternoon and just about sums up yet another wet nasty summer No dust on our trails

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Here ya go Jamie - 2.4 Advantage on the carbon rear. Tight as, but I am going to go with this for the October trip to Fruita and Moab -

Hey! Thanks for the shot of the Advantage.

I can't believe that pic with the rain. As you know, your home-town area is the polar opposite from Phoenix. You have probably had as much rain in the last few days as we get in a year. I'm jealous a bit, but not too much I'm sure it's a real drag but it makes for some beautiful scenery. All we have is rocks on top of rocks, with lots of sharp pointy semi-green, yellow-ish, brown-ish fauna looking to take your eye out, lol.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    "I'm sure it's a real drag"

It has sure got that way this year - we resorted to riding minor roads and lanes last weekend, followed by canoeing down the Wye on the other day - quite appropriate really, and the river was running near winter levels too

Trying to figure out what is firm enough to ride this weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +2 on the chunder SX, I run the 2.5 chunder SX , -----and it is not a 2bless or UST tire .

But I run mine tubeless with stans and the things are very good .

I generally ride up -down national and all of somo , Pass Mountain and so on , ---and I have not been able to rip one up yet .

mtbr member
    No issues to date with the single ply 2.5 minions. Ghetto tubeless, 23-25psi. Good stuff, too bad they don't sell them over here (had to get them from Chain Reaction) and they are definitely a small 2.5.
    -MitchB

Members who have read this thread: 0