Had a buddy snap a few pics at Papago Park on Saturday. Here's my favorite

"No Clue Crew"
    Cool photo. Might have to check it out over there, never been........Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great shot! Looks fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you scare people when you come around a corner? You are one big motha... anyway haha, sweet pic. Is that over by the jumps?

"No Clue Crew"
    Thanks for the comments, Guys !

Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    Do you scare people when you come around a corner? You are one big motha... anyway haha, sweet pic. Is that over by the jumps?
    When I come around a corner, it's usually me who is scared. More often then not, I'm flailing aimlessly out of control and I crash easily when startled !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    HAHA, well you couldn't tell from that pic,thats magazine shot worthy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Thanks for the comments, Guys !

When I come around a corner, it's usually me who is scared. More often then not, I'm flailing aimlessly out of control and I crash easily when startled !
    Nice photo.

One suggestion (assuming you normally brake with two fingers): take advantage of those disc brakes and brake with one finger. You'll have a lot more control.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Nice photo.

One suggestion (assuming you normally brake with two fingers): take advantage of those disc brakes and brake with one finger. You'll have a lot more control.

Wish i had that option! I have decent disc brakes but using one finger never work properly for me. I have the scars to prove it .......Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Wish i had that option! I have decent disc brakes but using one finger never work properly for me. I have the scars to prove it .......Drew
    What do you mean by "worked properly?" I used to always brake with two fingers. Then just started to use one, no matter how awkward it felt. Now, it feels awkward to use two.

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice photo.

Great job paying attention to detail ! Thanks a ton for the tip. I always use 2 fingers and I will start using one. I know it's just a matter of getting used to it.

"No Clue Crew"
    What do you mean by "worked properly?" I used to always brake with two fingers. Then just started to use one, no matter how awkward it felt. Now, it feels awkward to use two.
    For some reason with one finger I can't get the exact modulation I'd like. It comes down to practice. one finger is the way to go........Drew

sixsixtysix

Yup, same here.

Easiest way to learn 1 finger braking is to switch the shifter position to the outside of the brake lever on the bar (As long as they fit together that way) which will make the brake lever "shorter" and force you to use 1 finger. It'll feel weird for a week or 2, but after that there is no going back.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Yup, same here.

Easiest way to learn 1 finger braking is to switch the shifter position to the outside of the brake lever on the bar (As long as they fit together that way) which will make the brake lever "shorter" and force you to use 1 finger. It'll feel weird for a week or 2, but after that there is no going back.
    I like this. Going to give it a try today.......Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Great job paying attention to detail ! Thanks a ton for the tip. I always use 2 fingers and I will start using one. I know it's just a matter of getting used to it.
    It just give you a heck of a lot more control on the steep stuff like the rock in this pic.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I like this. Going to give it a try today.......Drew

With Hydro brakes it shouldn't matter if you are braking with the force of 1 finger or 2 since the hydraulics are doing all the work to apply power and to modulate. Its more about leverage than anything and with the lever moved in, your index finger should still be on the outer part of the lever blade and be able to provide plenty of pull to lock a hydro.

If they were cable pull disc brakes, it would be a different story since most of the power is coming from your fingers at that point.

"No Clue Crew"
    I think it's a positioning thing with me. Just not used to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yep, Carmen & Lynette showed me how to setup the levers for one finger braking when I got my DH bike and it helped alot. Good control even when jumping ...

Definately worth taking the time to get used to.

parenting for gnarness
    Yup, same here.

are you saying moving the shifters closer to the bar ends? feeling stupid i guess, but not visualizing the change? thanks!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

I love bike!
    Yup, same here.

I switched mine a couple months ago and like this setup much better as well. I can get my index finger right on the end of the lever where the hook is and feels real comfortable. Before I switched I always had an issue with my other fingers as they sometimes seemed to be in the way when I squeezed harder on the brake levers. Not an issue now though after switching. Took a little getting used to as my shifters were a little further out than I was used to but it feels right now.

Awesome pic by the way

Members who have read this thread: 0