Show Low?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Show Low?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Show Low?

It looks like I will be heading to show low for a weekend get away the weekend of the 24, 25, 26. What kind of shape will the trails be in, I will probably only get 2 rides in, what would you recommend. Thanks

mtbr member

Los Burros

If I were to get one ride in it would definately be Los Burros. Only about 20 min to trail head from Show Low. There are a bunch of worthy trails in the area though.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I second Los Burros. Super fun. Go CCW.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Need more cowbell
    ....agree on Los Burros.....but, the first time trying to find the turn off from the main road is a little tricky....make sure you have good directions.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    ....agree on Los Burros.....but, the first time trying to find the turn off from the main road is a little tricky....make sure you have good directions.
    I had trouble with this as well. Had to stop at the minimart to ask for directions, which, as it turned out, was almost right across from the turn I had to make. The road is relatively unmarked, looks like you're just going to turn into a neighborhood but it'll take you to the campground and trailhead after a few miles. Coming from Pinetop, when you see the little mart on your right, be prepared to take a left to head to the campground.

Met some hillbillies wearing camo and driving a jeep on the road out there as I helped another distressed mountain biker and they said we could be apprehended buy the Native authorities for being on Reservation land without permission. The campground isn't on Rez land though, so we get to ride Los Burros. They advised we kept moving. Don't know how much of this is paranoia, and I didn't really buy it, but who knows. Maybe someone could enlighten us. Can't say I know much about reservation law.

I can't wait to hit Los Burros again this year. Easily one of my favorite trails in AZ.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    The road is relatively unmarked, looks like you're just going to turn into a neighborhood but it'll take you to the campground and trailhead after a few miles.
    The road sign was laying on the ground when I was looking for it this past Thanksgiving...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm doing an Xterra (off-road triathlon) in Show Low in June. The course description is vague though... no trail names. It just says stuff like "The course climbs gently up a bumpy jeep road to the green water tower." I wonder if any of you locals are familiar with that area. They have a map!

https://www.trisportsracing.com/asse...ike_Course.jpg

Need more cowbell
    Call the guys at Cycle Mania up there....they can help you out.

(928) 537-8812

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Can anyone give me an idea what the trails are like? Is it anything like Flag or Prescott?

mtbr member
    The turn off on 260 to find Los Burros is in McNary around the mini-mart... just look for the small sign on the side of the road that says "Vernon -->" and that's the turn off. Just keep an eye out as you go down the dirt road so you don't miss the turn off to the campground site. We missed it last year and almost ended up in Vernon!

Regarding the rez stuff, McNary is on rez land but there is a point just as you leave McNary where you cross a cattle guard and I believe that is the border, Los Burros is on public lands, not rez land so you can bike it with no issues.

I never got the chance to ride it last year because of the fire so I'm hoping to hit it up this year. It probably won't be ridable until mid-June this year due to all the snow. There is probably snow on the ground of it is still extremely wet. The trails closer to Show Low (Panorama, Timber Mesa, etc) are probably closer to being ridable but the Cycle Mania guys (Todd) would have a much better idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would also recommend Los Burros but I don't think it will be in any shape to ride in the next few weeks.. We had a ton of snow and many of the Mtns are still covered.. Los Burros is one trail that may not be in riding shape for a month unless we keep up some warm weather..

I think peeps are riding the secret trails but if I told you where they are I would have to kill you.. jk Swing by the Mania and ask them they can get you on the right path. I will be riding this week and will try to suggest some trails after I see them. I just know that Show Low is your best bet there is still snow in Pinetop

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oh and the trails are the best in the US ha. (local) No but realy the are probably like flag haven't rode much there but I would imagine..

Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    Can anyone give me an idea what the trails are like? Is it anything like Flag or Prescott?
    Here's my post for my first ride up there last summer.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=los+burros

Got some pics in it. Its pretty similar to Flagstaff. The elevation is similar and at times it has has a Shultz Creek feel to it. The backside has some really nice flow to it and the rest is a good steady pedal. The backside had some fire damage there last year so might be a bit charred, but it won't be bad. Its not a challenging day on the bike, but it sure is a good one.

mtbr member
    I love the secret trails... they are just around the corner from a friend's house and they've taken me there a few times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, I have the reservations made, and everything is set. I have been hearing there is a lot of snow up there still. Are there going to be trails open for me this weekend? What ones will be in the best condition, if any are ride-able?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well there should be trails good for the riding. It is snowing as I speak but I'm praying for you and me that it doesn't do much.. The secret trails would be a good bet but very hard to get to and navigate if you haven't ever been on them.. I'm sure you could get some info from Cycle Mania when you get here.. Show Low will have the best places to try Pinetop seems to be holding the snow a bit more. It did rain today so that may help with the snow some.. Plan on it being a bit chilly and if you want a contact number pm me..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    well, I just got back from my trip. It was awesome over there. I didn't get to ride Los burros, it was too wet still. I rode Panarama, and timber trail, I think it was, and the connectors between them. I never found the where the Flume connector meets the timber trail though, so I headed back to the road for the last 2 miles to the car. The next day I drove over to Springerville and drove the scenic route 261, till I came to snow 2 deep for my little car. That was so beautiful up there. I wish I could have ridden up there, definitely too wet up there though.

has anyone ever rode the apache trail. It is on top of the mountain up highway 261. I wish I would have went up to the trailhead to see if they had a map there. There was still lots of snow in spots up there, so I didn't bother. I ws just wondering if anyone had any info on that trail, or even pictures would be great.
    Last edited by rockyrunner99; 04-26-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0