Thread: Shorts liners

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Shorts liners

Jebus, I feel like a nancy-boy even posting this. Regardless, it's a legit concern.

I prefer loose shorts and I my nether regions really appreciate having a chamois. Problem I'm having is that every pair of built-in liner shorts I own is either too bulky or has a saggy crotch. The sag on my Oakleys bit me today coming down the cheesegrater and I got pitched OTB when the shorts caught on the lip of the saddle and I couldn't get my weight back.

What I've found is that cheap Dickies shorts work great. I need to think about buying a set of padded liners. Can anyone make a recommendation so I don't waste a bunch of $$ on something I don't want to buy in the first place.

I am Walt
    Just get a pair of spandex bike shorts and wear them under some loose whatever shorts...easier than trying to find a liner, per se...
    Ride more; post less...

AZ
    banned
    /\ x 2

My other ride is your mom
    that or wait until the REI brand (Novara) goes on discount and snatch up a bunch of the liners they sell....a few times a year, they drop the price.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I guess I don't really know the difference between "liner" and "spandex." What I had in mind were the pre-made spandex shorts with gooch pad. So, are they mostly the same and I can buy whatever's on sale? Thanks

parenting for gnarness
    this lycra wearing xc weenie nee roadie talk is creeping me out.

I dropped about $140 on a pair of specialized lycra. Normally I am not a Spec guy but these have a nerf nutbuckert and the lycra was very well made and stitched. I hand wash em and dry em, but they are on hundreds of rides and still doing good. You can find good deals, but imo you get what you pay for. I generally stay away from anything Perl Izumi - comfy but falls apart on the mtb and hella pricey.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got a pair of padded riding shorts at Cycle Gear. There for all types of different sports...MX, snowboarding, mountain biking, etc..
    They were only $35 bucks.
    I wear them under whatever I feel like wearing.

slow uphill
    FOX makes good ones, even with side padding for downhill. pricey but worth it.

mtbr member
    Big 5 sells canari spandex w/ a gel pad for $20. It's about as cheap as you'll get.
    They hold up pretty well too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Big 5 sells canari spandex w/ a gel pad for $20. It's about as cheap as you'll get.
    They hold up pretty well too.
    Cheap pads don't breathe as well as the nicer stuff.

I don't understand. Why buy nice riding spendex bottoms then cover them up with dickie (or whatever brand) shorts in the desert where you'll only be passing bikers? Riding for coffee and the grocery store in spandex is pretty ghey but I love the looks that women give when checking out the legs and unit.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you're joking, I'm laughing along w/ you. If you're serious, then you're making me uncomfortable ... and not in a good way.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Yeah, I guess I don't really know the difference between "liner" and "spandex." What I had in mind were the pre-made spandex shorts with gooch pad. So, are they mostly the same and I can buy whatever's on sale? Thanks

You can always wear what I wear.....D

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Can I borrow your unwashed pair to try out?

Chunky Monkey

Shorts

Hoss products. 49 to 59 dollars. Work, wash and wear great. Cheap enough to try at least once.

Thx
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    (seconds away from bike)x(seconds away from bike)x (number of number of non-biking people looking at you) =gheyness of wearing bike shorts. There are some loose shorts that seem to be cut just right,i have a set of reversable shorts with a mesh on oneside, they seem to be pretty good ,but this last weekend on a pretty wet ride they were being a bit more of a problem, i guess the material hangs a bit different when it's wet.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RogerDoger]Cheap pads don't breathe as well as the nicer stuff.

You can get this years Canaris at REI and pay $90+. or get the "cheap ones" that were made last year for $20 at Big 5 and hope they don't fall apart from hanging in the air conditioned store for a year or so...

I had thought the OP was looking for minimum $ investment.

My other ride is your mom
    Whatever you get....don't get something that will not wick or breath if you intend to do longer rides...I have some cheep shorts I got when I first started out. They felt fine....but once I started doing long rides....over 40 miles or so.....the monkey butt came a creapin. I'm still using diaper cream to get it under control.....not being able to lie on your back in bed comfortably because of a throbbing mass on your arse is not fun!

mtbr member
    Personally, I'm a big fan of the Fox Mid Rangers. Others might disagree, but I have two pairs, and they are better than any other shorts I have had (Bellweather, Fox Sergeant, Lycra). I found my last pair of MR shorts at Price Point for like, $45, a good deal considering how often I reach for these over any other shorts in my closet. For the chaffe, I reach for the Body Glide stick.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    I use depends.... oh that kind of liners, my mistake.

I used to have the same problem (with my shorts grabbing the saddle at the most inopportune time. The crotch always got caught on the back of the saddle (coming back from shifting my weight back) or on the front when I needed to shift my weight back.

However, Performance shorts have worked well for me and corrected these issues. They are the right mix of cost and quality in addition to getting the job done and being comfortable enough. They aren't liners but have liners build in them. I prefer the Mesa shorts and they have been on sale all summer for like 30 bucks.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...rm=mesa+shorts

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just stopped by REI. Ended up getting the boxer-style liners by Novara. Few bucks cheaper than the cheap Spandex shorts and seem to have less material around the waist, which I like. We'll see tomorrow how they work out under some $10 Dickies that don't sag.

Members who have read this thread: 0