Shop to build a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Shop to build a bike

Looking for an affordable shop to build my bike from parts. I have everything, just need a competent mechanic. I live in the 202/101 area of chandler. Suggestions?

how much for your sister
    Just take it somewhere and have them install the headset and bottom bracket, stuff you probably don't have the tools for and put the rest together yourself. All you'll need is a set of allen wrenches.
    Try Landis on Warner and Rural.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can do it all myself. Tools aren't the problem. I don't have the inclination right now.

mtbr member
    I would think that would be a little touchy, depending on the shop. Hope I'm wrong on that...

Sort of like walking into Four Peaks with a 30 pack of Natty Light and asking them for a bottle opener?

Shovel Ready
    Phoenix Bike Repair
    Address 1000 S Park Ln #5, Tempe, AZ 85281 ·
    Hours Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Kathleen in AZ
    Fish from the now defunct Ahwatukee Cactus Bikes is now running his own bike repair business called Phoenix Bike Repair (PBR) located west of campus in Tempe. He'll do a great job building your bike and won't blink an eye at you bringing in all the parts and not buying from him.

Find Fish on Facebook @ Phoenix Bike Repair, or call him directly @ (4 eight 0 ) four 3 zero - 1 three 9 four

Get the word out --- Fish is open for business!!!

A plethora of pinatas
    I am sure any shop would be happy to build it for you even though you did not buy the parts from them. They may just charge you a bit more for the service.
    Marty

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Fish from the now defunct Ahwatukee Cactus Bikes is now running his own bike repair business called Phoenix Bike Repair (PBR) located west of campus in Tempe. He'll do a great job building your bike and won't blink an eye at you bringing in all the parts and not buying from him.

Find Fish on Facebook @ Phoenix Bike Repair, or call him directly @ (4 eight 0 ) four 3 zero - 1 three 9 four

Get the word out --- Fish is open for business!!!
    +1
    something like this is really perfect for his biz now, since its more labor and less about retail.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Rage Cycles. Had them put a few of the parts on my new bike since I didn't have the tools(headset, cut/space fork, adjust derailleurs, etc)
    They were great and had it done in like a day, shifts awesome and they were able to provide some info and get me a headset that worked better for my application.
    Bring the shop a 6er of some decent beer and maybe they won't treat you like a stranger all the time.

mtbr member
    Landis has built a couple bikes for me. They do an excellent job at a very reasonable price. I work with the location on Indian School, but I'm sure any of the locations would help you out.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    I would think that would be a little touchy, depending on the shop. Hope I'm wrong on that...

Sort of like walking into Four Peaks with a 30 pack of Natty Light and asking them for a bottle opener?
    Natty Light comes in bottles?!?!?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    +1
    something like this is really perfect for his biz now, since its more labor and less about retail.

+2 for the small biz.

Shred...it's the new drug
    PBR +100000000!!! You can even watch and drink PBR while he does it

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post

I shouldn't think they'd be offended, they wouldn't cut you any breaks on labor though that's for sure. Someone else said it and they're exactly right, successful shops have shifted their focus to service rather than retail. Those that haven't adapted and accepted the reality that is mail-order/internet probably won't last long.

Zipper
    Always go to the best in town
    Phoenix Bike Repair
    Address 1000 S Park Ln #5, Tempe, AZ 85281 ·

Fish will treat you right and build yer bike and learn ya something new at the same time.
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member

My tuner

I would go with Kelstr over in Gilbert, also known as KB Racing, not only a complete repair shop but a full machine shop. Plus he does NOT drink so please bring cash. The plus side with KB is that any problem you have he can fix or have such parts needed to repair your bike. I had a big issue with Rock Shox and any local shop i went to gave me the run around and a price tag to fix the problem, took my problem to KB and he said no problem, he made a phone call right there and made contact with Rock Shox, once he got off the phone he say's your parts on it's way and it's a warranty item, so i just paid labor to have it fixed. KB has helped me in the past and i refuse to watch him work on my bike while slamming down some PBR. oh what the hell, he has Liability Insurance for his repair business.

Too many shops give us TRA, "the run around" and get us no where and keep your bike for weeks, plus my last ordeal with Specialized with a Specialized shop was unable to be of any help at all. For all the shops out there i ask please know your parts and know the Bicycle business, it's pretty simple.

But for those of you that have your go to guy that takes care of your ride hang on to them or keep them stocked up with PBR. what ever pays the tab.

If you ever get the chance to do a ride with Kelstr be sure and bring a tow rope cuz Kelstr is like 59 yrs old so he will need to pull your ass up the hill and back down to your car.

Yes the tow rope is for you.
    "It's all downhill from here fellas"

how much for your sister
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtChump View Post
    I would go with Kelstr over in Gilbert, also known as KB Racing, not only a complete repair shop but a full machine shop. Plus he does NOT drink so please bring cash. The plus side with KB is that any problem you have he can fix or have such parts needed to repair your bike. I had a big issue with Rock Shox and any local shop i went to gave me the run around and a price tag to fix the problem, took my problem to KB and he said no problem, he made a phone call right there and made contact with Rock Shox, once he got off the phone he say's your parts on it's way and it's a warranty item, so i just paid labor to have it fixed. KB has helped me in the past and i refuse to watch him work on my bike while slamming down some PBR. oh what the hell, he has Liability Insurance for his repair business.

Too many shops give us TRA, "the run around" and get us no where and keep your bike for weeks, plus my last ordeal with Specialized with a Specialized shop was unable to be of any help at all. For all the shops out there i ask please know your parts and know the Bicycle business, it's pretty simple.

But for those of you that have your go to guy that takes care of your ride hang on to them or keep them stocked up with PBR. what ever pays the tab.

If you ever get the chance to do a ride with Kelstr be sure and bring a tow rope cuz Kelstr is like 59 yrs old so he will need to pull your ass up the hill and back down to your car.

Yes the tow rope is for you.
    Sounds like someone has a little issue with drinking and... emoticons?

mtbr member

Sounds like

Why not use them.

mtbr member

Landis

Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    Just take it somewhere and have them install the headset and bottom bracket, stuff you probably don't have the tools for and put the rest together yourself. All you'll need is a set of allen wrenches.
    Try Landis on Warner and Rural.
    Good shop and good people here.

how much for your sister
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtChump View Post
    Why not use them.
    Just like with PBR there's using and then there's abusing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    +1 for Kelster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    I am sure any shop would be happy to build it for you even though you did not buy the parts from them. They may just charge you a bit more for the service.
    Agreed. Tribe Multisport built two bikes for me this way.. I took them a frame & a few boxes of parts and they had it done in a few days, both times for around $100. No questions asked. That said, despite the fact they're primarily a Triathlon shop, they do sell mountain bikes and most of the employees are MTB'ers. I highly recommend them.