Click Click Click

Shoes - Local Shop?

My trusty Shimano shoes are nearly toast. Heading into race season and it is time for a new pair. I am having a tough time deciding on what to get (and where to go). I want to support local LBS, but they never seem to have a big selection, and rarely have my size (small child, lol). I wear size 42 (around 8.5 US). In the past I have stuck with Shimano shoes, but for some reason, I feel like branching out and trying something new. First off price range is around $120 (with a little wiggle room - but not $200).

I have poked around a bit on the interwebs, and asked a few friends. I have heard good things about Pearl Izumi, Giro and Sidi (but ouch on the price). I would prefer to stay with a Rachet + straps or BOA system and not laces or all velcro straps. Once I got used to the ratchet on my Shimano's I don't think I could go back to all velcro.

Riding style, well, I do race some, but currently just out there to push my limits in a race environment, and don't realistically have a shot at a podium (not selling myself short, just being realistic), so shaving off a few grams at the cost of comfort, durability and hike-a-bike-ability is not at the top of my list, but I also don't want boat anchors either.

My top two from doing research are

1) Giro Privateer R
    2) Giro Terraduro

The Privateer's are a little lighter, and stiffer. The Terraduro's are a little heavier but look MUCH better for hike a bike. I should have mentioned that I ride exclusively Single Speed and do plenty of hike a bike. Last years model of the Privateer's did not get good reviews for hike-a-bike due to hard rubber that did not do well in rocky conditions. They appear to have addressed that issue with the new model. The Terraduro's had a previous problem with the soles separating, but they appear to be beyond that issue now. Also, I LOVE the orange color (they say red, but it is orange), not a deal breaker, but sure helps. I am really torn between getting a lighter stiffer shoe that would be better for racing, and a heavier more comfortable shoe better for hike a bike.

Anyway, I want to buy local... Anyone know of a shop in the Phoenix area (I am in the North West Valley - not going to travel to Mesa to buy shoes) that has a good selection of shoes? Also, feel free to provide feedback on my choices and any recommendations you may have...
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    I have always run Shimano shoes and like them, as the toe box is generally larger, which is nice for wider feet. So if you have wider feet, or like the extra room, get the wide option with the Giro. I ran the privateer for a while (looked sweet in all white, for about 6 minutes). The Giro also seemed to have a higher arch than the Shimano. The buckle looks like it will work better, since it sticks out a bit, but it actually gets caught on stuff a lot. I had called Giro and had to get new ratchets a few times since I broke a few. Also, I found that the strap that goes in to the ratchet is a bit finicky. Could be user error, but I've rushed them on and actually stripped out the straps multiple times. I also felt that they weren't as comfortable as the Shimano for hike-a-bike, and wore out quicker. I personally have the Shimano M-089 now, and have had a lot of good luck. I got the Giros at Performance. I know not really a 'local' shop, but I had a gift card.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I have always run Shimano shoes and like them, as the toe box is generally larger, which is nice for wider feet. So if you have wider feet, or like the extra room, get the wide option with the Giro. I ran the privateer for a while (looked sweet in all white, for about 6 minutes). The Giro also seemed to have a higher arch than the Shimano. The buckle looks like it will work better, since it sticks out a bit, but it actually gets caught on stuff a lot. I had called Giro and had to get new ratchets a few times since I broke a few. Also, I found that the strap that goes in to the ratchet is a bit finicky. Could be user error, but I've rushed them on and actually stripped out the straps multiple times. I also felt that they weren't as comfortable as the Shimano for hike-a-bike, and wore out quicker. I personally have the Shimano M-089 now, and have had a lot of good luck. I got the Giros at Performance. I know not really a 'local' shop, but I had a gift card.
    Thanks Tyson! That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Those look like great shoes, just went to the top of my list!

Ahhh the pain....
    Dennis, I have two different mtb shoes, depending on what I'm riding, but if I had to only buy one, it would be the new Shimano M089's. They are as light as my Sidi's and I completed the AZT300 in them (copious amounts of HAB). A buddy of mine that did the AZT750 actually hiked the Grand Canyon in his during the race. They are stiffer than PI ALP Enduros (which I had) and a lot lighter.
    You can get them online for around $80 (from UK sellers). I have used some shoe goo on mine and some super glue where I had some recent delam, but hell, they got me through the 300 and are still going strong.

Ahhh the pain....
    Shoes - Local Shop?-photo-28-.jpg
    Note the shoe goo...
    Shoes - Local Shop?-photo-29-.jpg
    again, these have been through an AZT300, and lots of AES races!

Click Click Click
    Thanks Ray! So are the M089's your AES/Long Day Hike a Bike shoes, and you have a separate pair for KOM snipe runs (or shorter MBAA like races)?

I really like the reviews I have read on the M089's and will probably pick up a pair this weekend, just need to find some place in town that has them in stock in my size If not I will just get them online...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    Thanks Ray! So are the M089's your AES/Long Day Hike a Bike shoes, and you have a separate pair for KOM snipe runs (or shorter MBAA like races)?

I really like the reviews I have read on the M089's and will probably pick up a pair this weekend, just need to find some place in town that has them in stock in my size If not I will just get them online...

While not a true LBS, maybe check out Performance. I got my last two pair of Shimanos from them (M162s....the most comfy shoe I've ever worn).

Just checked Performance's website, and the one's Ray recommends are both in stock at both the Scottsdale and Peoria stores.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    If there's any appreciable HAB, I opt for the Shimanos. If I'm rolling around PMP, SMP, BR, BCT, etc, I wear my Sidis. But for stuff like most AES races (where there is ALWAYS some nut punching HAB) and AZT (like south of picket post, etc), I wear the Shimanos. But, truth being told, I can't say the Sidi's are all that much stiffer. I just put both pairs on a scale and they are only 5 grams different in weight (total for the pair). I did build up some shoe goo under the front of the Sidi's though which adds weight but they'd be in the trash can by now if not...

Always in the wrong gear
    Dennis I too am in the same predicament. I also have small narrow feet. Ive been looking at the Sidi shoes and really like the Eagle Fit model, but price is a huge factor with them. As for an "adventure" based shoe ive been looking at the Bontrager SSR looks super comfortable and breathable for those all day adventures with HAB. sucks to buy two pairs of shoes, however, It could save you wear and tear in the long run.

I'm surprised my Diadora shoes have lasted this long. Considering the reviews were terrible but I wanted a cheap shoe ($50.00) to try SPD with. Almost 2 years later and 4,000 miles

Flat Tire does carry both brands, but as stated, very limited stock. I am confident that Sidi is a narrower brand than some seeing as they have a specific line for wider feet.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

Click Click Click
    You guys rock! Thanks so much. M089 it is, I have had great luck with Shimano's lower end shoes (all I have run since going clipless).

mtbr member
    I just wish that Shimano's came in cool loud colors. Silly gripe, I know, but I like cool colors.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Ahhh the pain....
    Rob, my sidi's are the Eagle 5 fits... a lower end Sidi, they don't have the replaceable treads like the more spendy ones. I did some reinforcement with shoe goo immediately after I bought them. Notice I also put some socket head cap screws in for toe spikes...If I hadn't done this, they'd be trashed.
    Shoes - Local Shop?-photo-30-.jpg

Always in the wrong gear
    Ray I wonder if it's worth the money to get the ones with replaceable soles. Big money but for a long term wear item. Maybe worth it? Keep in mind I have a connection now, so I can afford to spend a little more. Not ready to purchase just yet still some homework to do.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    Ray I wonder if it's worth the money to get the ones with replaceable soles. Big money but for a long term wear item. Maybe worth it? Keep in mind I have a connection now, so I can afford to spend a little more. Not ready to purchase just yet still some homework to do.
    Good question Rob...seems like I wear out the entire toe area first on shoes from HAB and kicking rocks. That replaceable part on the spendy sidi's is just the tread parts. They do sell a toe guard for $20 which covers the entire toe area.

I'm such a cheap bastard...a $6 tube of shoe goo albeit ghetto, works for me!

mtbr member
    sent pvt offline