mtbr member

'Shocking' ride at FINS

Well I guess it took me long enough to finally post something...

So I went riding at FINS in Goodyear this Sunday, and I just wanted to make people aware of something. I always park at the school on Westar and ride the sidewalk over. While on the way to FINS, you end up passing the last housing community, and there are a series of electrical boxes on the left. While riding past them I somehow managed to have a good amount of electricity go through me if I was toughing anything metal on my bike (bar ends, shifters, etc). It happened to me 2 weeks in a row. I'm sure I gave passing motorists something to laugh at, that's for sure.

I just wanted people to be aware, and also would not mind knowing who I would be able to contact so maybe that can get fixed. Me (big goofy Canadian) on a bike with some voltage going through me = funny. Toddler with voltage = possibly not so funny.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb

So I went riding at FINS in Goodyear this Sunday, and I just wanted to make people aware of something. I always park at the school on Westar and ride the sidewalk over. While on the way to FINS, you end up passing the last housing community, and there are a series of electrical boxes on the left. While riding past them I somehow managed to have a good amount of electricity go through me if I was toughing anything metal on my bike (bar ends, shifters, etc). It happened to me 2 weeks in a row. I'm sure I gave passing motorists something to laugh at, that's for sure.

I just wanted people to be aware, and also would not mind knowing who I would be able to contact so maybe that can get fixed. Me (big goofy Canadian) on a bike with some voltage going through me = funny. Toddler with voltage = possibly not so funny.
    You might try the water company first, then if that doesn't work the gas company, then if that doesn't work the ELECTRIC COMPANY. Hope that helps. If you don't know the exact address before you call that could be a problem.

TD

mtbr member

Worse than other trails (P and D and the 24Hr in OP courses come to mine) that pass under power lines?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    You might try the water company first, then if that doesn't work the gas company, then if that doesn't work the ELECTRIC COMPANY. Hope that helps. If you don't know the exact address before you call that could be a problem.

TD
    Well I guess I walked right into that one.....

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Worse than other trails (P and D and the 24Hr in OP courses come to mine) that pass under power lines?
    There is a need to reroute all trails under power-lines to make these trails more mountain bike friendly. Anyone know of a person for the job. Must be determined to make alterations at all cost. I'll be happy to sit by a watch the work and ride it when it's done. Thanks.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

banned
    Well I guess I walked right into that one.....
    If you don't have internet access try this: http://www.aps.com/general_info/cont...ntactUs_1.html

TD

jimfab
    Totally normal deal with high voltage lines. the only thing you can do is to avoid them, there is nothing wrong with the lines. If you were worried about the little ones you could ground there clothes to something metal on the buggy with a alligator clip or something. The Field is so strong around the high tension lines that farmers back east would burry copper line about a mile long in the ground under power lines and basically steel enough power out of the air to power there homes. Tesla would be so proud.

I always get shocked in the same place you are speaking of and on Conies causeway out at the trails not mentioned on this forum

Cherio- Tesla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    If you don't have internet access try this: http://www.aps.com/general_info/cont...ntactUs_1.html

TD
    If he didn't have internet access how would he post here?

"20 points higher than me on the entrance exam and you think a big guy like that can fit into your clothes. Come on Mitch"

-Chris Knight
    Real Genius
    Last edited by GR1822; 04-06-2011 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    If he didn't have internet access his would he post here?

"20 points higher than me on the entrance exam and you think a big guy like that can fit into your clothes. Come on Mitch"

-Chris Knight
    Real Genius
    TD must work for one of the local cable companies. The ones who's automated message is "if you're having problems with your internet, you can find solutions at www.cox.com."
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Give it a crank
    I get shocked just reading mtbr on the internet when the server is not too busy.

mtbr member
    I use to live a 1/4 mi from there and that always happened...pretty normal. Can't really be good for you which is why when we built our house we made sure it was a ways away from them.

mtbr member
    Yeah when they first made those trails I rode under the lines on the road back to Westar and was getting the shock treatment from my inner thigh to the seat rails (boy the jokes about my lightning rod). Pretty normal I would suppose and I figure if I go by getting shocked on my MTB- may family will be taken care of and I died on a bike. WOrse ways to go. Hasn't happened to me the last couple of times though- might be the CF seatpost- who knows.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    A friend I ride with always gets a bad shock under the power lines on the pavement. I always try to keep some distance from him. Not sure why he gets zapped, and I don't. Every time I ask him if he wants to ride F.I.N.S. he usually whimpers yes, its worth it!

mtbr member
    Is it under power lines or next to a transformer or utility box? If power lines such is the way of the electron. If transformer ect. Call APS OR SRP with the stickered number on the side, something is wrong.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We had the same thing happen the first time out at FINS a couple weeks ago.

Riding back to the school on the right side of the road under those low hanging power lines, we started getting zaps of electricity off the bikes. It was weird because I never had experienced it before. We moved across the street and it stopped.

FINS is

I am the Tin Man!
    Wow thats scary. I wonder what it would do to my pacemaker?
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Eroding into the trail
    What about phones and cameras?

Or, Gasp! the brain!

No brains were harmed by the aforementioned comment!

mtbr member

Thr.NR on F.I.N.S. tonight!

Riding FINS tonight for this week'sThursday Night Ride!

Ride leaves our-place at approximately 6:30. Be here early enough to get your stuff on / ready by 6:30 pm and be ready for a couple Chilled-Adult-Beverages when we return!

See ya' tonight!
    Harvard
    out

out
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Members who have read this thread: 0