I am the Tin Man!

Shimano shifter fix

Anyone know if the trigger shifters can be fixed? Got one that wont ratchet.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Elitest thrill junkie
    We dealt with this at the shop all the time. It's usually because the grease has gummed up (due to disuse). You can "partially" dissasemble them usually, but be careful of the parts. If you want to be safe then forgo trying to remove the plastic shells and just spray carb cleaner in there, a lot of it, and work the hell out of the shifter (try to change gears really fast for a while). Once you start getting it to work, you'll need to let it clear out and put some kind of lube in there, maybe a dry-wax for arizona? Doesn't really matter all that much, but the important thing is removing the gummed up residue around the rachet, that's usually what causes this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

My other ride is your mom
    I've disassembled and rehabilitated two stubborn XTR shifter pods after last years 'Turn n' Burn' Race. I found, like Jayem states above, things got gummed up. I've tried them both with lube and without lube after cleaning with carb cleaner....I've had better luck going without lube. I think having lube in there attracts dirt and contributes to it getting gummed up faster.

Come to think of it, I used electrical contact cleaner instead of carb cleaner because I wanted to use something that was safe for plastics.

poser Administrator
    you can also soak them in some mineral spirits in lieu of carb cleaner, then same thing, actuate them a bunch, then flush with some more mineral spirits. Let them dry completely before lubing.

Depending on the model there are some covers you can take off to see if something has broken, or bent. If you are careful you can full disassemble them but it is fraught with peril and lose a screw and you are screwed (pun intended).
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

My other ride is your mom
    I managed to lose one of those tiny "C" retention-clips within the mechanism.......was saved in a karmic moment with the Home Depot in Flagstaff actually had the same "C" clip for sale.....it's the little one that's only about a millimeter in width.....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    what if you try first blasting any gunk with one of those cans of compressed air for cleaning electronics?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    what if you try first blasting any gunk with one of those cans of compressed air for cleaning electronics?
    Doubt it, from my experience that gunk is stubborn.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

A plethora of pinatas
    Or, you could send it into Shimano for warranty - http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...warranty3.html
    Marty

Members who have read this thread: 0