setting the record straight about myself and South Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

setting the record straight about myself and South Mountain

Michael with Cactus Bike here:

My buddy Juan just called me up and expressed concern with people hitting the off trail drops in between Mormon and National. He asked if it was me or people from the shop hitting them. I keep MY riding on the trail and do NOT condone off trail riding on South Mountain as it is an extremely delicate environment and I am aware of this. I would just like to say that I am only in control of my own actions. I try my best to educate my customers and friends of the dangers of riding off trail on South Mountain...ie the desert does not repair itself well and it may endanger future riding on South Mountain if this activity is kept up.

In the past I have heard these concerns directed towards the shop and myself personally and it really disturbs me because I have been extremely active in trying to create the opposite image for myself and "freeriders"/downhillers in general. Also...Cactus Bike has been denied dealership to more than one bike company because of mudslinging by other shops/riders.

So this message is a public announcement to try to educate our fellow riders to what we are about in attempt to stop the slandering. Our club ( http://www.saguarosoulriders.com )has been doing trail maintenance monthly on South Mountain trails and other rec areas for almost a year now and we take great pride in what we do and have done for South Mountain. We have a true love for this place. The last thing in the world I want is for mountain bikers to have a bad image on the mountain to other trail users or get the mountain bikes banned from the mountain. I think it is very important for every biker to respect the hikers and horses and yield the right-away and give everyone you come a cross a friendly hello.

There are alot of people who use the trails on South and for people to just assume it is Cactus Bike or the Soul Riders doing the off-trail riding just because we enjoy the more aggressive side of mountain biking is un-fair and wrong. I love the mountain and respect it and other trail users...period.

Thanks for reading,

Michael (aka Monk)
    www.cactusbike.com

Also...If anyone would be interested in joining us for some trail maintenance or feel the need to give back in some way...drop me a line and I'll do my best to get you involved as well. We can always use extra hands.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Michael with Cactus Bike here:
    snip rumors, allegations, etc.

True story? Whoa.

I know exactly who the guys are who are taking those jumps and drops (you're talking about the area just south of the national/mormon split, below where national turns east and starts "down", right?), and it's not the Cactus/SSR crew. Cool spot and I wouldn't mind seeing it become sort of a designated/sacrifice area, but until it is, yeah, y'all need to cool it up there. You know who you are.

Monk, if your shop's and/or crew's rep has gotten big enough that a dealer dropped you, something weird is going on. E me sometime.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

I am Doctor Remulak

It's unfortunate...

that people would feel the need to hit this off trail area that's right out in the open where nearly every hiker on the Mormon/National route can see it. I've only seen 1 person out there in the times that I've gone past it and I'm not the confrontational type so I Iet it go. I guess nothing really surprises me about this kinda stuff at SM, there's plenty of people bombing down National on a regular basis with absolutely no regard for other users, no matter whether they're hikers or other riders.

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Also...If anyone would be interested in joining us for some trail maintenance or feel the need to give back in some way...drop me a line and I'll do my best to get you involved as well. We can always use extra hands.
    Make sure that you post trail maintenance dates here so that everybody know's when they are and how to sign up.

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 1