Sedonites....Sedonuts...Sedonitians?? Question for you.- Mtbr.com
    EDR

New question here. Sedonites....Sedonuts...Sedonitians?? Question for you.

Planning a trip to Sedona in 2 weeks. Today it was about 100 degrees here in Phoenix. It was 98 as we finished our ride down Natty at 12:30 this afternoon. Cooler temps are coming this week but I fully expect hot temps in two weeks.

Can a couple of hot-landers ride into the afternoon hours in Sedona right now? I realize what the temps are compared to Phoenix but IME Sedona just seems hotter when compared to the same temp here in the Valley. All that Red Rock is like an incubator. Anyhow, are you locals able to ride into the 2pm time-frame right now....if you so chose? Or should we expect to be done much earlier? I know it's subjective but...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The most spoiled rider I know says, "Once it hits 80, its time to ride in Flag".
    The second most spoiled says, "I carry my lights to ride from sunset til, way dark".
    The third most spoiled says, "I'll ride in the morning, chill by the water in the afternoon, and maybe ride in the afternoon, if I have enough energy."
    The touron says, "I'm in Sedona, lets go riding,"
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    The most spoiled rider I know says, "Once it hits 80, its time to ride in Flag".
    The second most spoiled says, "I carry my lights to ride from sunset til, way dark".
    The third most spoiled says, "I'll ride in the morning, chill by the water in the afternoon, and maybe ride in the afternoon, if I have enough energy."
    The touron says, "I'm in Sedona, lets go riding,"
    that was beautiful. should be illustrated on rice paper and hung on a wall at every bike shop in the area.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Huffy Rider
    Start when the sun comes up, I personally won't be riding into the late morning if the temps stay high. Wed we got lucky and had cool cloud cover that allowed all day riding, but now it is too warm to ride till 2, or even 12. That is just me tho. Have fun if you do come up here!

Brenda

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am one of the most spoiled riders. Why not though, we live here so we can. Once it's around 85 here in Flag I won't even ride until after 3 in the afternoon or I try to be done around 11.

mtbr member
    This time of year, I don't mind starting a ride at 2pm. Not that it isn't better to start earlier or later, but I ride whenever I can. Being that you're from PHX and not NYC you should know what to bring....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just can't have any fun if it's too hot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    I just can't have any fun if it's too hot.
    I suspect you'll still shuttle on the rare 90F Flagstaff day

Sedona does indeed feel hotter than elsewhere when it's above 80F. Those rocks really radiate the heat. But there's lots of options for more shaded routes (ie., the Breezys) or to hit certain aspects at different times of the day (ie., the Highline climb late afternoon rather than in the am when it's a solar storm).

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman

Sedona does indeed feel hotter than elsewhere when it's above 80F. Those rocks really radiate the heat. But there's lots of options for more shaded routes (ie., the Breezys) or to hit certain aspects at different times of thes day (ie., the Highline climb late afternoon rather than in the am when it's a solar storm).

Christmas Wask is always shady and Special Ed works good in the afternoon. Alot of Secret Trails area ( Second Coming, Grand Central, Cenntenial) is also pretty shady.

TD

EDR
    I can't ride if it's under 60F, haha. We should be fine. Last time I rode in Sedona it was well over 110F in the Valley and 100F in Sedona. That was not fun. Temps will be much better this time around should we decide to ride all day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    [QUOTE=rockman]I suspect you'll still shuttle on the rare 90F Flagstaff day

Actually probably not. In the last three years I can count the days I have shuttled all day on one hand, I'm not kidding. I often catch one ride if I can and then ride xc/fr from there. After about a year of hauling tourist around in a Pink Jeep I started to really dislike spending my days off sitting in a truck driving on rough dirt roads. I'm also now 35 and doing shuttles all day and drinking beer all night just doesn't work any longer, I need to peddle these days. This year so far I have taken only one ride up the mountain in the back of a pickup truck.

We rode Jedi and Ginger today, no shuttles. Climbing and riding trails like that trying to pin it is a whole other aspect of riding that I really enjoy. We were out for almost 4 hours, it was killer! Lots of time for the dogs to play, take in the views, and enjoy the company of friends. We sure are lucky to live in such an amazing place.

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^this is the time of year when the sap begins to really flow...you get a whiff of it on a southern exposed skin track sometime in March....and then nothing. Then one day like today, you're out riding...and you're assaulted with the intoxicating scent of ponderosa coming alive. Adding friends, dogs and shared excitement (dog and human) just takes that whole scene and multiplies it by a bajillion....

Elitest thrill junkie
    I try to keep myself spoiled too, i just do not have fun when its above 90, idealy for me tenps are 60s, low 70s ok at the "bottom". Even when flag is 80 or a bit more its still nice @8000-9000. Im waiting for it to get over 100 in Phoenix, cuz that makes Flag perfect.

In my experience Sedona is 10 degrees cooler thab Phoenix in the heat of the summer, but due to the rocks it feels about the same.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=raisingarizona]
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman

Actually probably not. In the last three years I can count the days I have shuttled all day on one hand, I'm not kidding. I often catch one ride if I can and then ride xc/fr from there. After about a year of hauling tourist around in a Pink Jeep I started to really dislike spending my days off sitting in a truck driving on rough dirt roads. I'm also now 35 and doing shuttles all day and drinking beer all night just doesn't work any longer, I need to peddle these days. This year so far I have taken only one ride up the mountain in the back of a pickup truck.
    Well, that makes sense since a 90F day in Flag is a rare day indeed. And it doesn't sound like we're getting close to that anytime soon. This week is gonna be chilly.

Members who have read this thread: 0