Sedona Wed 5/6 am ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sedona Wed 5/6 am ride

(2)..planning to ride Highline-Transcept-BB--?--back to Bike and Bean Wed am. Start around 9am from B&B. Only done the HL-Transcept once/ last May? B tech riders on 29ers, moderate pace, packin' the gopros and ready to soak up the
    s'track goodness.

Anyone else is welcome to ride up or meet us in Sedonuts. Leaving I-17/Happy Valley @ 7am.

ETE and GPS/map link might be helpful also. Thanks

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    If you would have said Double H instead of Highline/Transcept, I would have said hell yeah!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    If you would have said Double H instead of Highline/Transcept, I would have said hell yeah!!!
    I rode Transcept as an out and back today and conditions on it were prime time. If you do it north to south after climbing Highline and back then you get the backside of Highline for the dessert section (if you can clean that section), if you walk that section I agree the Double H would be the better choice for sure.

TD

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Me and a buddy did Highline for the 1st time on Sat afternoon... killer stuff. We started at the parking lot by Bike N Bean, Climbed Slim Shady, left on Highline to the saddle... rode 98% of that section. Then from the saddle continued west to Baldwin and down to Budda Beach... took a swim... then up to Templeton over to the Parking lot on the highway, got a ride to the truck...a guy we met on the ride tagged along and that's where he parked. Killer ride. 2000 Vert feet of climbing in 10 miles... Will post pics soon. Took over 600 shots.

Jabert

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey Rob- I might be interested in this one... I have zero Sedona experience and looking for a good ride that isn't too techy... would this fit the bill? I don't mind a little tech, but I ride a 26" hardtail. lol

What would the mileage be about?

Charging my GoPro right now in anticipation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Also, pretty sure Wednesday is the 9th... full moon getcher brain?

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Hey Rob- I might be interested in this one... I have zero Sedona experience and looking for a good ride that isn't too techy... would this fit the bill? I don't mind a little tech, but I ride a 26" hardtail. lol

What would the mileage be about?

Charging my GoPro right now in anticipation.
    The Slim Shady trail that leads to Highline is beginning intermediate/intermediate Highline to Transcept is advanced intermediate/advanced and Transcept is more of the same. Backside of Highline is considered by most to be advance intermediate/advanced with a few expert sections, but taking Transcept avoids the techy backside of Highline.

As for milage I'd say it's close to 15.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks! Now, is "advanced intermediate/advanced" in Sedona comparable to Phoenix? I can clear most things I come across, but I just don't want to be a leach on the ride.

I usually ride Cave Creek, T100, McDowells, Sonoran, and have done Hawes once. Also rode the Whiskey 25 and was able to clear everything there...

I do know that I am by no means an "expert" at tech though. lol

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    You should be fine, just walk the parts you can't ride there shouldn't be too many of them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, yesterday(Sunday) was 5/6, so what month do you plan on riding Highline?

I think one section on the backside of Highline is as scary as the Waterfall at South Mountain. However, you can certainly walk that section, and people who do ride it may look it over, and they may have a couple of false starts, so as a walker you might actually be quicker through the tech sections than the riders.

If you have the opportunity to ride Highline, you should take it. It is a spectacular trail with incredible views.
    Last edited by happyriding; 05-07-2012 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Well, yesterday(Sunday) was 5/6, so what month do you plan on riding Highline?

I think one section on the backside of Highline is as scary as the Waterfall at South Mountain. However, you can certainly walk that section, and people who do ride it may look it over, and they may have a couple of false starts, so as a walker you might actually be quicker through the tech sections than the riders.

If you have the opportunity to ride Highline, you should take it. It is a spectacular trail with incredible views.
    Oh yeah. No freaking way would I ever ride anything like the Waterfall at SoMo.

Might just do a solo ride that day then...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Oh yeah. No freaking way would I ever ride anything like the Waterfall at SoMo.

Might just do a solo ride that day then...
    Depending on what type of taking your bike on a hike/ride you might consider doing Highline from north to south. Two days ago a friend of mine and I were riding south to north when we came across a rider walking his bike on the slickrock section. I stopped and asked him if he needed help. He said no he was walking with a group of bike walkers that were enjoying walking their bikes from south to north rather than riding there bikes on Highline.

When my friend and I reached the dropin slot section the other riders in the group were resting after hiking their bikes up the really steep section. When I asked how they were enjoying taking their bikes on a hike, there were a bunch of BIG .

At that point I realized the Highline serves as a truly multi-purpose trail. The FS is working on the adoption of that trail and this was an obvious reason why the backside should be adopted in it's current form. There are sections that could use some additional armoring to help with sustainability, but bike-hikers, non-bike hikers, trail runners and many downhill type mountain bikers love that section of trail.

Bike shops like Absolute and Bike & Bean would possibly offer their help in maintaining the backside and I am sure there are other users that would offer their help as individuals. I still believe the south to north route is the best way to ride it, but after watching those happy guys walking their bikes I might be wrong.

TD

mtbr member
    Doh, we rescheduled the Sunday 5/6 ride to Wed 5/9ner. I remember the steep/ nasty/tech descent off the slickrock area...no way can I mentally attack/commit to that...just hike down for me and my no seat-droppin' xc bike.

Pointer, plan on going with us Wed. We can meet at CF highway/I-17 about 7:15ish, or meet at B&B. Just let me know, so we know which vehicle to bring.

Like I mentioned, I like me some good tech, just don't have the right bike or psyc for the big stuff these days . Charge the gopro, bring extra battery, and be ready for stunning st and scenery...whooop!

TD, if you need a ride fix Wed, come join us, and probably keep us on track

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, as luck would have it, I cancelled a Sedona ride for tomorrow due to a meeting... which is why I was thinking of hopping on yours. Now that meeting was moved to Wednesday and my buddy that I was gonna go with tomorrow is now out for that. lol

Guess I will head up there Saturday.

mtbr member
    Rob: How far do you plan on riding?
    -boom

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So I am thinking about heading up Saturday. Anyone game? (I can start my own thread if you like Rob... don't mean to derail. )

mtbr member
    no worries, stay on thread. Glad you can make it and hopefully find a partner to go. 3 is good, 4 better.

mtbr member
    Awesome, cool day on the red rocks! As it should be.

Members who have read this thread: 0