Thread: Sedona Virgin.

Not at the table,Carlos!

Sedona Virgin.

I am off friday and have an urge to ride up in Sedona on a day trip. What do you Sedona vets think the the cant miss ride is? I consider myself to be a strong rider and dont mind techy stuff. I've been riding all of SOMO for the last 10 years. Any help will be great. Thx

Yes I am embarrassed that I am a native and have never rode in Sedona.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by jusflo
    I am off friday and have an urge to ride up in Sedona on a day trip. What do you Sedona vets think the the cant miss ride is? I consider myself to be a strong rider and dont mind techy stuff. I've been riding all of SOMO for the last 10 years. Any help will be great. Thx

I'd save Sedona for the Fall when it's not 100 degrees.

Classic loop: Bell Rock -> Llama -> Chapel -> Mystic -> Broken Arrow -> Little Horse -> HT -> Templeton -> RR crossing and Uturn back to Templeton and Bell Rock

Not at the table,Carlos!
    I'm planing on being there early. Weatherbug says high of 82 tomorrow. Are the trails marked?
    Last edited by jusflo; 07-30-2009 at 05:50 PM.

wretch
    find trail doc.

mtbr member
    HIt Bike and Bean when you roll into town, buy a good cup of coffee, and have a chat with them. The Bell Rock/Templeton/Baldwin ride is pretty damn fine in my book.

Trail Monger
    Agreed, it seems that the trails are pretty short. You need to link several together. I was there in June and rode Templeton each way. I missed Baldwin loops. I would like to check out starting from Bell rock/Bike n bean area. Cosmic Ray Fat tire has such a epic ride listed in the book. That would be the one to do if only there one day.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm planing on being there early. Weatherbug says high of 82 tomorrow. Are the trails marked?
    That's not even close to correct. I just checked Oak Creek out (that's where a lot of the Sedona riding originates, and it's basically the same geographically) and it's going to be 100. Not 82. Also bear in mind that the extensive rock surfaces reflect a lot of energy, so it can easily feel hotter than what it really is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Temp depends on Monsoon (80 deg) or no Monsoon (100). They haven't been forming real well. With that said, we had a nice burst today = 80 deg would have been a sweet day on the trails. Bolts of light through the clouds = rainbows. It's a gamble. Fall is a sure bet.

As for trail suggest, depends on how many miles, how many trails you want to hook up. Let me know if you are looking for more advice. Starting at the Bean is good but they don't open til later. Maybe Llama to Chicken Point/Broken Arrow and roll back on the Bell Rock Pathways if you are outta gas (which is the usual for most).

Good Luck if you make the drive.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Trail Monger
    Coffee shop open later? Can you still steal a parking spot if not open? I imagine geting a red rock parking pass and plan to go to TH. How is the riding in Nov. 13~15? That is when I plan to return.

Not at the table,Carlos!
    I ride year round here in the valley plus, i'm an UPS man. Morning temps don't bother me to much. I plan on starting at 6am and being off the bike by 10am. Hopefully before it really gets cooking. Thanks for the info.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I ride year round here in the valley plus, i'm an UPS man. Morning temps don't bother me to much. I plan on starting at 6am and being off the bike by 10am. Hopefully before it really gets cooking. Thanks for the info.
    That's a great plan and you know what it's all about being a UPS man then! We were just putting out the information above in case you didn't know these things and there are still people who don't really have a good idea of what it's really like in the desert in the summer. Have a nice ride!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member

I would give the guys at Mountain Bike Heaven a call. I know that there is a group that meet and ride out from the shop. I showed up with my downhill bike a couple of years ago and these cross-country goons tried to lose me deep in the woodlands of Sedona. I was barely able to keep up with them on my big bike. At times I was just following fresh tire tracks in the red dirt. They took me on a few "secret trails" that didn't seem like trails at all. I think that they were trying to get me lost so that I would fall prey to the red chupacabre of Sedona. When the end of the ride rolled around and I was still hangin (barely), the guys did give me props for surviving. It was good times and yes I would do it again!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    Coffee shop open later? Can you still steal a parking spot if not open? I imagine geting a red rock parking pass and plan to go to TH. How is the riding in Nov. 13~15? That is when I plan to return.
    November should be nice and cool, esp mid-November. Any time of day is good for riding including long or extended rides.

Yes, only in Sedona would a coffee shop open later in the day. No, it really doesn't make sence.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a Sedona trail map at Bike and Bean. The guys at Mountain Bike Heaven build trails and are great to ride with.
    Been told Hangover Trail is the gnarliest in town, There is a video on MTBR but it's filmed with a fish eye lense so looks even tougher.
    agmtb

Trail Monger
    Hangover Mountainbike Bill style...

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/vide...9-Hangover.wmv

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    There is a Sedona trail map at Bike and Bean. The guys at Mountain Bike Heaven build trails and are great to ride with.
    Been told Hangover Trail is the gnarliest in town, There is a video on MTBR but it's filmed with a fish eye lense so looks even tougher.
    It's nowhere near the gnarliest trail in Sedona, in fact the cowpies out to where Hangover starts is much more difficult, with exposure and pretty skilled moves required to keep from falling off the trail (and splatting below). There are plenty of trails harder than hangover. Hangover is just super-sick due to how and where it's built, but it's not very hard. It's not for beginners or anything, but it's way easier than the trail you take to get to it, and there are others that are more challenging. Hangover is like nothing else though, that is it's strength.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIDERS
    I would give the guys at Mountain Bike Heaven a call. I know that there is a group that meet and ride out from the shop. I showed up with my downhill bike a couple of years ago and these cross-country goons tried to lose me deep in the woodlands of Sedona. I was barely able to keep up with them on my big bike. At times I was just following fresh tire tracks in the red dirt. They took me on a few "secret trails" that didn't seem like trails at all. I think that they were trying to get me lost so that I would fall prey to the red chupacabre of Sedona. When the end of the ride rolled around and I was still hangin (barely), the guys did give me props for surviving. It was good times and yes I would do it again!
    Spiders:

Your review of your ride with MBH was right on the mark. A rider who is determined to stick with the ride will normally have a very unique riding experience. I know after my first ride with MBH, I was hooked on Sedona riding.

I wish I was there to show jusflo around, but I have been enjoying the fog rides on the Pacific coast lately. This thread shows some rides he might like:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=535280

TD

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Spiders:

Your review of your ride with MBH was right on the mark. A rider who is determined to stick with the ride will normally have a very unique riding experience. I know after my first ride with MBH, I was hooked on Sedona riding.

I wish I was there to show jusflo around, but I have been enjoying the fog rides on the Pacific coast lately. This thread shows some rides he might like:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=535280

TD

Doc where you been riding on the coast? I just finished a killer ride in Mendo.

Not at the table,Carlos!
    Thanks for all the Info. I made it to Sedona about 6:15. It was a beautiful morning. I figure I got around 15-18 miles in. I think I rode Bell-Llama-Chapel turn around Chapel-Hourse thief-Templeton.

When I was about to start Cathedral, my wife called. She some how detached her retina and was on her way to the hopspital. That was the end of my ride except for my speedy return to my car and then to St Joe's Hospital.

I cant wait to go back and finish my ride.

I'm no photographer, just a mountainbiker with a camera.

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0