Sedona Trip A Success. ( Picture Heavy )- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Smile Sedona Trip A Success. ( Picture Heavy )

I am writing this post to not only thank everyone, but provide feedback and advice on Sedona, AZ biking. From the moment my girlfriend told me she was taking me to Sedona during our vacation I started checking out the shops for rentals and local trails. First I want to thank the MTBR community for all your help and information! It helped me plan – and experience - a very awesome trip. All your advice saved me a lot of time and frustration.

We stayed in Kings Ransom Sedona hotel where it was a good price and a nice view. We never took advantage of the trails outside our hotel, but the trail head was right out our hotel room. The restaurant connected to the hotel was the Elote Cafe, which is Mexican but more gourmet. Their lamb just melted off the bone and the lady’s corn and chile chowder was amazing. They have a limited menu but we were told its Sedona’s best restaurant and it was worth the try. The chef personally delivered our meal and the owner was seen helping take care of some tables. It wasn’t huge and going there in jeans was pretty cool. Oh, and deserts – I thought I should go simple and got the ice cream – it was amazing. The GF got crème brule, which she’s kinda addicted to, but the lime was a little much for her and she was jealous of my ice cream.

We checked out a couple bike shops and depending on what you want it will probably take you to a certain shop. Absolute bikes normally charges in advance (we were told) but since January is their off season, I guess, we didn’t reserve anything in advance. We stopped by and they had Specialized and Giant, among others. We were thinking it over and wandered to Bike and Bean where the guys alone made us decide to go there. They had Santa Cruz and Kona’s, among others, and they just spent the time to chat with us on bikes and local spots. Both these shops were just a 6 minute drive from Sedona, but the major trails were just across the street from B&B. I gotta tell ya, Gonzo and Tony hooked me up with everything and took 1st class care of me and my girlfriend. The Nomad they rented me was perfect and they made sure it was tuned for me which help me ride a lot of trails in the short amount of time I had. Also there countless trail advice helped me hit the trails without the headache. The owner even was around the shop chatting and helping out, too which just made us feel even better about them (since they weren’t a commercialized shop – just guys lovin’ to ride, sharing their obsession). After day 1 of our riding the trails just across from B&B we did everything from going down mountain sides, riding on slickrock and even staying on the trail itself. We kinda got lost and found ourselves in bike-restricted areas and probably people-restricted areas, too. Oops. We rode for almost 3 hours, and then after lunch I went out again by myself taking trails the guys recommended….it was epic. I went all over and if Gonzo and Tony wouldn’t have been there to give me advice on the trails, I wouldn’t have gotten such an awesome taste of the landscape.

Sedona’s local bike shop, Mountain Bike Heaven, its a spot where you can rent bikes or just chill with the local riders. We stopped by after my riding about 10 hours and I wasn’t planning on riding until afternoon the next day – until one of the guys invited me on their ride. The group goes out Wednesday’s and Sunday’s and they go on anything from mapped trails to secret trails. I will tell you…they are crazy up-hill riders. I told them at one point they go up what I go down…so if you want a good workout and a challenging ride – check them out. They mainly have Diamonback and Iron horse, but still have a variety. They also have a pump track behind the store which was a cool option.

Rental prices vary between shops, but if you like the place you are at – price isn’t an option. We later found out that Bike and Bean have apartments to rent so next time we go – we will definitely check that out first because they were seriously that awesome to deal with!

https://www.elotecafe.com/
    https://www.absolutebikes.net/
    https://www.bike-bean.com/
    https://www.mountainbikeheaven.com/
    https://www.kingsransomsedona.com/

banned
    [QUOTE=vsong]I am writing this post to not only thank everyone, but provide feedback and advice on Sedona, AZ biking. From the moment my girlfriend told me she was taking me to Sedona during our vacation I started checking out the shops for rentals and local trails. First I want to thank the MTBR community for all your help and information! It helped me plan – and experience - a very awesome trip. All your advice saved me a lot of time and frustration.

We stayed in Kings Ransom Sedona hotel where it was a good price and a nice view. We never took advantage of the trails outside our hotel, but the trail head was right out our hotel room. The restaurant connected to the hotel was the Elote Cafe, which is Mexican but more gourmet. Their lamb just melted off the bone and the lady’s corn and chile chowder was amazing. They have a limited menu but we were told its Sedona’s best restaurant and it was worth the try. The chef personally delivered our meal and the owner was seen helping take care of some tables. It wasn’t huge and going there in jeans was pretty cool. Oh, and deserts – I thought I should go simple and got the ice cream – it was amazing. The GF got crème brule, which she’s kinda addicted to, but the lime was a little much for her and she was jealous of my ice cream.

We checked out a couple bike shops and depending on what you want it will probably take you to a certain shop. Absolute bikes normally charges in advance (we were told) but since January is their off season, I guess, we didn’t reserve anything in advance. We stopped by and they had Specialized and Giant, among others. We were thinking it over and wandered to Bike and Bean where the guys alone made us decide to go there. They had Santa Cruz and Kona’s, among others, and they just spent the time to chat with us on bikes and local spots. Both these shops were just a 6 minute drive from Sedona, but the major trails were just across the street from B&B. I gotta tell ya, Gonzo and Tony hooked me up with everything and took 1st class care of me and my girlfriend. The Nomad they rented me was perfect and they made sure it was tuned for me which help me ride a lot of trails in the short amount of time I had. Also there countless trail advice helped me hit the trails without the headache. The owner even was around the shop chatting and helping out, too which just made us feel even better about them (since they weren’t a commercialized shop – just guys lovin’ to ride, sharing their obsession). After day 1 of our riding the trails just across from B&B we did everything from going down mountain sides, riding on slickrock and even staying on the trail itself. We kinda got lost and found ourselves in bike-restricted areas and probably people-restricted areas, too. Oops. We rode for almost 3 hours, and then after lunch I went out again by myself taking trails the guys recommended….it was epic. I went all over and if Gonzo and Tony wouldn’t have been there to give me advice on the trails, I wouldn’t have gotten such an awesome taste of the landscape.

Sedona’s local bike shop, Mountain Bike Heaven, its a spot where you can rent bikes or just chill with the local riders. We stopped by after my riding about 10 hours and I wasn’t planning on riding until afternoon the next day – until one of the guys invited me on their ride. The group goes out Wednesday’s and Sunday’s and they go on anything from mapped trails to secret trails. I will tell you…they are crazy up-hill riders. I told them at one point they go up what I go down…so if you want a good workout and a challenging ride – check them out. They mainly have Diamonback and Iron horse, but still have a variety. They also have a pump track behind the store which was a cool option.

Rental prices vary between shops, but if you like the place you are at – price isn’t an option. We later found out that Bike and Bean have apartments to rent so next time we go – we will definitely check that out first because they were seriously that awesome to deal with!QUOTE]

Song:

Nice report. Sounds like you had a great time, you certainly enjoyed some perfect weather on your trip. My wife may have ridden with you on Wednesday's ride at MBH.

Doc

Members who have read this thread: 0