mtbr member

Sedona trails, suggestions?

I am heading south for 10 days or so for some biking and have heard that sedona has some good trails around and the weather forecast down there for the next week looks just about perfect

I like to ride just about everything, XC/mild FR/tech/etc... with a preference for XC with some drops/man made jumps/burms/etc. Any recommendations? I haven't been riding at all but have been hiking for turns on my snowboard so I'm not in terrible shape, but ~2 hour rides would fit the bill pretty well for the shape I'm in.

What about free van camping in the area? Maybe up dry creek road north west of town? Or legit campgrounds for that matter?

TIA

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay
    I am heading south for 10 days or so for some biking and have heard that sedona has some good trails around and the weather forecast down there for the next week looks just about perfect

I like to ride just about everything, XC/mild FR/tech/etc... with a preference for XC with some drops/man made jumps/burms/etc. Any recommendations? I haven't been riding at all but have been hiking for turns on my snowboard so I'm not in terrible shape, but ~2 hour rides would fit the bill pretty well for the shape I'm in.

What about free van camping in the area? Maybe up dry creek road north west of town? Or legit campgrounds for that matter?

TIA
    Jack:

You have hit the JACKPOT. Here is a new ride that strats off of Dry Creek

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1044970

There is a video at the bottom of the description that will give you an idea of the terrain.

If you will give me a little of your time doing trail improvements I will show you the ride otherwise you will need a GPS or other local knowledge. Do you know how to handle a jackhammer, if you do I will show you some of the other cool trails.

Check out my info sheet Word File for other options:

TD
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Do you know how to handle a jackhammer...
    Sounds like some sort of scam you do to young people Theres not much to a jack hammer, I do use one occasionally, but it does seem like the removal of the ledge in questions is controversial enough that I'd rather not get involved.Maybe its a nice gap riding the trail the other way?

What about camping in the area?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like some sort of scam you do to young people Theres not much to a jack hammer, I do use one occasionally, but it does seem like the removal of the ledge in questions is controversial enough that I'd rather not get involved.Maybe its a nice gap riding the trail the other way?

What did you expect, with only 4 posts on MTBR? You don't know the secret handshake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    What did you expect, with only 4 posts on MTBR? You don't know the secret handshake.
    Well, one guy PM'd me some great info, but I did have to send him naked pictures of myself first.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Well, one guy PM'd me some great info, but I did have to send him naked pictures of myself first.
    Did he ask for any music too, like Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer", or just the first date at Burger King?

banned

Jack:

Since you are new to Sedona and don't care what kind of user experience you get while you are here do me a favor and ride up Munds to the top then do it as a downhill. It would be great to get a FRESH opinion of the ride compared to the loops in my Word document.

You can be our new loop guru. As far as the camping goes I would offer my place, but since you aren't into helping out you are on your own. The 525 has free camping.

If you show up for the Fat Tire Festival try out a new Demo bike.

TD

mtbr member
    since you aren't into helping out you are on your own.
    I don't really want to get involved with your jackhammer project because nobody supports it besides you. A bunch of our local trails were overly sanitized a few years ago which pissed me off, so the last thing I want to do is show up to trails that I don't even ride regularly and overly sanitize them.

FWIW I've donated over 600 hours of labor to various local and non local projects, most of the hours were building concrete skateparks for no pay and some of the hours were trail work...

If you show up for the Fat Tire Festival try out a new Demo bike.

TD
    I'm making it a point to miss the FTF, I'd rather not ride in crowds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Did he ask for any music too, like Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer", or just the first date at Burger King?
    He left me a voice mail with some incoherent ramblings about a George Michale song, I think he was talking about this guy,

banned
    Sep 2007
    I don't really want to get involved with your jackhammer project because nobody supports it besides you. A bunch of our local trails were overly sanitized a few years ago which pissed me off, so the last thing I want to do is show up to trails that I don't even ride regularly and overly sanitize them.

FWIW I've donated over 600 hours of labor to various local and non local projects, most of the hours were building concrete skateparks for no pay and some of the hours were trail work...

Whoa! Do I detect the first Boycott traildoc ride being held outside of Sedona? That'd be a great idea.

banned

jack:

Your stubborness is interesting. Your statement that "nobody supports me" is ridiculous, but everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

There is another person, Depaulus, I met once who is like you. This is a link (http://highonmountainbiking.com/moun...-trail-sedona/) to his similar approach to mountain biking.

By the way I lived in a motorhone full time for eight years with my wife. We came to Sedona for those eight years and parked within the city limits in our motorhome for the three months we stayed in Sedona each year. We never paid for parking over night and found numerous places to park. As you know it's part of the fun beating the system especially in these high fuel cost times.

Over those eight years we saved tens of thousands of dollars doing the boondock thing. Hope your Sedona riding experience turns out well. When you get lost just look at it as an adventure. If your ride isn't as fun as you had hoped think of what Depaulus had to say.

A guy and his wife from Lake Tahoe, who PMed me over a month ago is taking a whole different approach, and has been riding with me over the last week, it would be interesting what his thoughts are on me showing he and his wife the 130 plus trails we have to enjoy in Sedona. So far I think they are having a good time, but they could be lying to me.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-18-2011 at 12:12 AM.

mtbr member
    jack:

Your stubborness is interesting.
    Yes, I have my black belt in being stubborn, but its not the handicap you imagine it to be, for example, I ****in' hate walking my bike and I'm super stubborn about it, result? I'll clean all sorts of stuff in Sedona that you can't even attempt.

Your statement that "nobody supports me" is ridiculous...
    Really? Have you read this thread? Or this thread?

the way I lived in a motorhone full time for eight years with my wife.
    My wife and I did 7 years in eastern Idaho in a motorhome, but we have since built ourselves a house :-)

When you get lost just look at it as an adventure.
    I have GPS, but thanks for the well wishes.

A guy and his wife from Lake Tahoe... ....has been riding with me over the last week, it would be interesting what his thoughts are on me showing he and his wife the 130 plus trails we have to enjoy in Sedona.
    Based on what I've read about your riding skills I think I would die of boredom waiting for you on the trails, or I'd be riding so slow to stay behind you to avoid getting lost that I might as well set up a trainer in the parking lot.

TD, you do have a lot of motivation to "help out"and that counts for a lot in a world where nobody really gives a **** and won't actually "do anything" except complain, but trying to leverage me into jackhammering out a rock that you're too old to do yourself in exchange for "necessary" (Oh noes! I'll get lost!!!!) trail guide services makes you a junk show.

On one hand you spam the forum with the FTF info trying to get as many people as possible to come to Sedona to ride but you actually believe that Sedona is a place where people will get lost and have a bad time riding their bikes so that either makes you a special breed of jackass or you're just trying to dark cloud on my trip to sedona because I wouldn't be your ***** and jack out a rock for you
    Last edited by jackbombay; 04-18-2011 at 06:52 AM.

No mames guey
    Based on what I've read about your riding skills I think I would die of boredom waiting for you on the trails, or I'd be riding so slow to stay behind you to avoid getting lost that I might as well set up a trainer in the parking lot.

TD, you do have a lot of motivation to "help out"and that counts for a lot in a world where nobody really gives a **** and won't actually "do anything" except complain, but trying to leverage me into jackhammering out a rock that you're too old to do yourself in exchange for "necessary" (Oh noes! I'll get lost!!!!) trail guide services makes you a junk show.

On one hand you spam the forum with the FTF info trying to get as many people as possible to come to Sedona to ride but you actually believe that Sedona is a place where people will get lost and have a bad time riding their bikes so that either makes you a special breed of jackass or you're just trying to dark cloud on my trip to sedona because I wouldn't be your ***** and jack out a rock for you
    Jack, FTW!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the PM's guys, I've got enough riding for a few weeks now I think. :-)

banned
    Yes, I have my black belt in being stubborn, but its not the handicap you imagine it to be, for example, I ****in' hate walking my bike and I'm super stubborn about it, result? I'll clean all sorts of stuff in Sedona that you can't even attempt.

Really? Have you read this thread? Or this thread?

My wife and I did 7 years in eastern Idaho in a motorhome, but we have since built ourselves a house :-)

I have GPS, but thanks for the well wishes.

Jack:

I have to be honest with you, I never expected you to help with any trail work it was a joke and you have taken me seriously. I am trying to get the FS to let me use their jackhammer which was purchased with taxpayers dollars, but I doubt they will let me use it so my new friend from Tahoe is bringing some explosives and we are going to drill some holes and blast it out during a rainy night when no one is around to hear the BANG.

I do wish you the best on your rides it will be interesting how they go. Without a GPS or guide you will never find your way on the social trails you will do fine on the system trails. No fair using any of the trail info provided by me.

TD

mtbr member
    Without a GPS or guide...
    As I mentioned earlier I do have GPS, and I'll also be meeting up with a local for a ride tomorrow, we're going to hit "we walk this part single file carrying out bikes to hide our numbers" [/star wars reference] to "impending culmination of doom" to "pee wee's big adventure" to "damn the batteries are dead in my GPS". I'm not sure if you're privy to any of those trails, for a small fee I might share the resulting GPS files with you though, I do accept paypal, PM me for the address.

banned
    As I mentioned earlier I do have GPS, and I'll also be meeting up with a local for a ride tomorrow, we're going to hit "we walk this part single file carrying out bikes to hide our numbers" [/star wars reference] to "impending culmination of doom" to "pee wee's big adventure" to "damn the batteries are dead in my GPS". I'm not sure if you're privy to any of those trails, for a small fee I might share the resulting GPS files with you though, I do accept paypal, PM me for the address.
    Sounds like one of Talking Dudes ride. Have Fun!

TD

banned
    Thanks for the PM's guys, I've got enough riding for a few weeks now I think. :-)
    Jack:

I have two messages that you have checked out two of my suggested loops. Hog Heaven and Templeton. Hog Heaven will be an interesting ride for you. Let me know how it goes.

TD

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    This is EPIC.

Jack does, indeed, have a masters in stubborn.

And was born once already, thank you very much!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    This is EPIC.

And was born once already, thank you very much!

rideit;

He and talking dude sould do well together. I am curious which rides they are going to do together.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    So's your face!

You still coming south?

TD: We hit highline today with the associated peripheral trails. As of 4 seconds ago I am also now the self appointed supreme superior trail re-namer, my first course of action is to rename Highline to "Thank you sir may I have another" please adjust your records accordingly.

As we left GC's house I did happen to see you through your living room window furiously typing away on an old typewriter, I even got a picture,

Your house was not surrounded by nearly as many handicap access ramps as I had imagined.

Tomorrow I'll be hitting "hotwheels track vomitorium" to "never ending story" to "great space coaster" to "I accidentally the whole thing".

banned
    So's your face!

You still coming south?

TD: We hit highline today with the associated peripheral trails. As of 4 seconds ago I am also now the self appointed supreme superior trail re-namer, my first course of action is to rename Highline to "Thank you sir may I have another" please adjust your records accordingly.

As we left GC's house I did happen to see you through your living room window furiously typing away on an old typewriter, I even got a picture,

Your house was not surrounded by nearly as many handicap access ramps as I had imagined.

Tomorrow I'll be hitting "hotwheels track vomitorium" to "never ending story" to "great space coaster" to "I accidentally the whole thing".
    Stubborn:

That Highline trail sucks. It is way too difficult even to walk. You probably are going to do some other stupid ride tomorrow, so I probably couldn't ride with you even if you asked me to. We are heading up to an easier trail called Hangover, if you guys decide to change your plans and try that out let me know.

TD

mtbr member
    Stubborn:

That Highline trail sucks. It is way too difficult even to walk.
    You mean, Thank you sir may I have another.

You probably are going to do some other stupid ride tomorrow, so I probably couldn't ride with you even if you asked me to.
    Are you flirting with me?

We are heading up to an easier trail called Hangover, if you guys decide to change your plans and try that out let me know.
    TD

Members who have read this thread: 1